PDA

View Full Version : monocular?

DeBare
02-08-2004, 17:29
I just changed my binocular for a monocular- less weight and loss space also less 3D feel.

DebW
02-08-2004, 21:45
I just bought a 6x16 monocular that weighs 2 oz. I haven't been willing to carry even compact binoculars on a long hike, but this little thing will fit in a pocket and be accessible any time a bird happens to show itself.

Jaybird
02-13-2004, 10:13
i dont carry binoculars or monoculars...up til recently the good ones are still too much weight for consideration.

the newer, more high tech monoculars are getting super lightweight...but still not very good quality (or @ least the ones i've seen)

i have a zoooom on my digital camera if i need to get a closer view. ;)

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004

okpik
02-13-2004, 10:32
i dont carry binoculars or monoculars...up til recently the good ones are still too much weight for consideration.

the newer, more high tech monoculars are getting super lightweight...but still not very good quality (or @ least the ones i've seen)

i have a zoooom on my digital camera if i need to get a closer view. ;)

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004
I do the same since I got my camera. I keep the bino's in the car for a quick look at critters on the road.

RompnStomp
08-23-2005, 11:35
I bit the bullet and picked up a small Zeiss monocular. .8 oz. and very good optical clarity. No regrets...much better than the bulkier Bushnell/Tasco units. Low light performance is better than cheaper brands with larger objective lenses. About $100, but totally worth it.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13083412&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

Sly
08-23-2005, 11:54
Fairly useless and dead weight, I sent mine home at Neel's Gap!

Footslogger
08-23-2005, 12:09
I tried a Monocular device a while back and returned it to the store. For me at least, it was too hard to hold steady and stay focussed on my point of interest. I generally don't carry any long range ocular devices these days but I do own a small 8 x 25 set if binoculars and that's what I would carry now.

'Slogger

Spirit Walker
08-23-2005, 14:12
On the AT it isn't necessary or very useful. You can't see that far, most of the time. On the CDT we carried a monocular - it made it easier to find signs of the trail in open meadows and also made it possible to watch mountain goats and elk that were far away. In Alaska we used binoculars - they are absolutely essential there as there is so much wildlife, but a lot of it is far enough away that you get a much better view if you use the binoculars. When you see a little speck on a far hill, the binoculars allow you to tell whether it is a grizzly or a moose or a caribou. Knowing the difference can make a difference in which path you follow.

snarbles
10-31-2005, 19:20
I am currently looking for a monocular as well and definitely want a quality piece of gear. So far leaning towards the Zeiss miniquick w/ leather pouch. Any other recommendations?

HikeLite
11-01-2005, 10:24
I bought a carson quick focus monocular and like it.

CynJ
11-01-2005, 10:58
I don't think I would like a monocular with my eyes.

I don't carry any optics other than my Minolta & spare lens. I have a wonderful 70-200mm zoom that is just fantastic. My only problem is that it weighs almost 2lbs by itself. I need to find a lighter weight version. But the lighter weight ones I have found aren't very sturdy.

Rain Man
11-01-2005, 11:57
I am currently looking for a monocular as well and definitely want a quality piece of gear. So far leaning towards the Zeiss miniquick w/ leather pouch. Any other recommendations?

I can't cite optics figures, but I have an REI monocular and have taken it on a hike through the Smokies, where the views are for miles and miles ahead and back, IF you can see that far with the naked eye. It was nice to have the monocular and be able to pick out Clingman's Dome observation tower from Rocky Top. Also to pick out Shuckstack fire tower, Fontana Dam, and etc. many miles to the rear from another peak. I just like that sort of thing. Not everone does. But I liked my REI monocular and it is very light weight, not expensive, and they have that super return policy.

Rain:sunMan

betic4lyf
11-01-2005, 20:20
ther should be an option for squinting

Uncle Silly
11-04-2005, 20:00
I have a wonderful 70-200mm zoom that is just fantastic. My only problem is that it weighs almost 2lbs by itself. I need to find a lighter weight version. But the lighter weight ones I have found aren't very sturdy.

The lighter ones will also have less aperture possibilities (ie, higher f-stop), but on the bright side they'll cost much less. A high-quality, low-f-stop zoom lense will cost lots and be heavy, but the low-quality version will be lighter AND cheaper to replace when it drops.