PDA

View Full Version : When life dumps lemons on you then you can make lemonade

JayMosier
05-14-2008, 09:36
Thats so cliche but at 50 with 20 years of software experience I find myself on unemployment and the realization that my chosen profession has no coherence. After a couple of months of brooding here I went for a walk to clear my head. Staying with friends in Palmerton PA my walk quickly took me to the mountain and a portion of the Appalachian trail where I rediscovered the true beauty and peace of nature. Yesterday I realized how truely blessed I am. After several years of sedentary lifestyle sitting in cubicles, vainly excercising my brain I discovered that I could easily hike several miles through the woods, up and down steep rocky inclines, crossing streams with just my cowboy boots.

Being on unemployment I get $625 every two weeks after taxes. Every check I have received so far has lasted less than three days. In the bliss of nature I realized that I have a rare opportunity. I dont own any real estate, I have no credit cards, I dont own a vehicle, I'm not married and after having paid approximately $130,000 in child support I am no longer financially OBLIGATED to my two daughters.

Saturday May 17 I will get another unemployment check. Instead of quickly wasting it on trying to maintain a rather dull existence for another two weeks I am going to spend it on lightweight camping gear and an excellent pair of hiking boots and I am walking to Tennessee. How many people have an opportunity like that? My trip will not be destination oriented but rather a journey back to the fundamentals of life and nature.

In the software profession I always maintained one rule and that rule was that no matter what concept you ventured off with you must always maintain the ability to return back to an established and stable state from which your ideas originated.

My enthusiasm and expectations are high. Maybe I will see you on the trail in a world far away from the problems that plague us. Our intelligence can damage us, wisdom is what I seek.

Jay Mosier

D'Artagnan
05-14-2008, 11:58
No mortgage, car, or credit cards...I'd say you're already WAY ahead of the game. Have fun.

Oh, and :welcome.

Chaco Taco
06-10-2008, 13:57
If life gives you lemons make lemonade, then find someone with vodka and have a party:)

superman
06-10-2008, 14:15
Like my ex-wife told me..."take a hike.":)

leeki pole
06-10-2008, 14:16
Good luck! Maybe an opportunity for the future will happen to you on your hike. Things happen for a reason (another cliche) and maybe this is your destiny.

Keep your eyes and mind open and enjoy! Looks to me like you've got the world by the tail.

envirodiver
06-10-2008, 14:39
If life gives you lemons make lemonade, then find someone with vodka and have a party:)

Ron White ?

"I shouldn't be arrested for being drunk in public. I wanted to be drunk in that bar. Those guys that threw me out made me drunk in public".

"It's been a good day Tater". :D

wrongway_08
06-10-2008, 14:39
Good luck! enjoy it and take full advantage of this opportunity, it wont happen every day.

MagicSFK
06-10-2008, 19:04
Go for it! If I didn't have certain financial obligations, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Pokey2006
06-10-2008, 19:45
Things happen for a reason. Sounds like you might have found your reason...I can't think of a better thing for someone in your position to be doing. I hope the hike clears your head and gives you new direction in life. Good luck!

warraghiyagey
06-11-2008, 09:17
If life hands you a briefcase full of cash, take out a few grand, donate the rest, go hiking. Live is life.:)

Captn
06-11-2008, 18:51

Or Tequila and make a almost margarita

Captn
06-11-2008, 18:56
Seriously,

Welcome to the more enlightened.

I worried about paycheck to paycheck ... worried about my job .... worried about just about everything, in fact.

Then the Ex up and split .... I moved south.

You find out a few things ..... these things you pursued all your life .... they don't mean as much any more. You realize that all these things aren't necessary ... they're preferences.

Once you get it ..... the jobs come to you my friend, cause the confidence you get from figuring it out drives employers crazy ....

Enjoy your time off ... learn more about you .... then the world will come to you.

Wise Old Owl
06-11-2008, 19:33

Crystal Lite & Vodka & lots of t"r"ail... Sounds like a party.:)

Blue Jay
06-12-2008, 09:13
I worried about paycheck to paycheck ... worried about my job .... worried about just about everything, in fact.

Once you get it ..... the jobs come to you my friend, cause the confidence you get from figuring it out drives employers crazy ....

Very very well said, possibly even poetic. I've often tried to explain it with a much larger number of words and you just nailed it.