PDA

View Full Version : medic alert bracelet

glacier48
05-14-2008, 09:54
Hello hiking community,

I start my hike on the AT soon (3 weeks) and I was wondering if any of you wear medic alert bracelets for the sake of easy access to your medical records. I have quite an extensive medical history, lung disease and a pacemaker which in itself warrants a bracelet but I thought of putting my name and Dr.'s phone number on it in case something happens to me and I need medical help. You know unconscious or such, maybe identify the body.= (just kidding). Is this anal retentive or what? Got any thoughts?

Glacier:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 09:58
I have worn one in the past. I now have a an index-card size piece of paper printed on both sides with all the pertinent info as my med problems will not fit on an alert bracelet. Anal retentive - I don't think so.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 10:01
sounds like something you should have already done in the regular world, even more so for on the trail.

orangebug
05-14-2008, 10:37
The bracelet/anklet is a good idea. However, FD's idea is best whether you use the bracelet or not. I keep a 3x5 card with my name, numbers (insurance, phone, next of kin), list of doctors, allergies and list of meds and dosages. Laminate it and stick it into your wallet or pocket. It can be very helpful on regular visits to your doc when you can't remember just which statin/BP med or other hard to pronounce procedure you recently started.

orangebug
05-14-2008, 10:38
BTW, it is anal-retentive.

Never forget the hyphen.

John B
05-14-2008, 10:42
I do. I ordered mine from www.roadID.com (http://www.roadID.com) They have at least three options -- a braclet, a military-style dog tag, and an ID that attaches to your shoe laces.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 10:54
tattoo it, it's been done many times http://modblog.bmezine.com/2005/12/21/medical-tattoos/

Footslogger
05-14-2008, 11:18
Timely thread ...as I will be needing something like this when I return to backpacking. Of all the options listed so far I like the idea of a laminated 3 x 5 card the best. More room for medical history information, current medications and key contacts.

I hadn't thought too much about this until now but it makes good sense.

Thanks for bringing it up Glacier48 ...

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 11:46
I forgot to say I carry this in a snack size ziplock baggie - this makes it easier to update as needed. Getting old is not for sissies - meds and conditions change frequently. I print out four copies of it when it gets updated - one is the glove box of my vehicle, one is in my purse, one is in my daypack and the other in my backpack.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 11:48
you could end up having one heck of a tattoo, full-on color, different typeface, heck, diagrams...full old school chest piece...coolest g-ma ever.

D'Artagnan
05-14-2008, 11:53
I do. I ordered mine from www.roadID.com (http://www.roadID.com) They have at least three options -- a braclet, a military-style dog tag, and an ID that attaches to your shoe laces.

Same here. I carry mine when I walk or bike on the roads, too. You never know.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 12:05
If I had juvenile onset diabetes, I would definitely consider getting a tattoo. Same for anything implanted that mean life or death in a medical emergency - like an implanted defibrillator or pacemaker. You don't want them doing an MRI on you without knowing you have either one of those.

jlb2012
05-14-2008, 12:29
Is anyone using or considering to carry on the trail one of the USB flash thumb drives for their medical history data? There are a few different products in this catagory such as MedicKey or MedicTag. http://www.medictag.com/ http://www.medickey.com/

Ghosthiker
05-14-2008, 12:40
I carry a copy of meds and info in my wallet, plus a copy in my 1st aid kit.

Footslogger
05-14-2008, 14:00
... like an implanted defibrillator or pacemaker. You don't want them doing an MRI on you without knowing you have either one of those.
===============================

Hey ...that's what I'm dealing with RIGHT now !! At the cost of an MRI I seriously doubt anyone would do one on you without knowing your full history though.

'Slogger

glacier48
05-14-2008, 14:16
What do you mean that is what you are going through now. A pacemaker or defibrillator? Or MRI? Just curious if you feel like sharing.

Glacier:banana

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:18
===============================

Hey ...that's what I'm dealing with RIGHT now !! At the cost of an MRI I seriously doubt anyone would do one on you without knowing your full history though.

'Slogger
they're no fun, neither are angiograms...now that i think about it, i've never enjoyed any of my visits...

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:20
Is anyone using or considering to carry on the trail one of the USB flash thumb drives for their medical history data? There are a few different products in this catagory such as MedicKey or MedicTag. http://www.medictag.com/ http://www.medickey.com/I would be worried EMS wouldn't be able to access it. For diabetes, or a permanent pacemaker, or something else EMS would need to know about, it should be easily accessible. If you have a complicated medical history that would be important once you got to the ER then I would say go for it. Of course, for all I know, all EMS have laptops now.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 14:24
Timely thread ...as I will be needing something like this when I return to backpacking. Of all the options listed so far I like the idea of a laminated 3 x 5 card the best. More room for medical history information, current medications and key contacts.

I hadn't thought too much about this until now but it makes good sense.

Thanks for bringing it up Glacier48 ...

'Slogger

I'm wondering if the bracelet and the card may be the best approach. The card could have all your pertinent medical info, as well as your emergency contacts, Dr. contact, etc. The braclet could have quickly needed info, regarding allegies, etc.

I wonder if all responders, the first person that finds you if unconscious, would go through your gear, in order to find the card?

Footslogger
05-14-2008, 16:00
I wonder if all responders, the first person that finds you if unconscious, would go through your gear, in order to find the card?

======================================

If you are alone and found unconscious I would say that anyone with common sense would look through your pockets and gear to determine your identity ..."common sense" being the operating words.

I think the key to an effective medical alert is that it be readily apparent.

'Slogger

orangebug
05-14-2008, 22:00
Nah, if found unconscious, the first responder is likely to simply assure you are alive. Next will be efforts to check for injury and shock - even the need to get you warm. A packet of sugar or other glucose source would be nice.

It is the EMTs and such who will be looking for the card and such. Once the shirt is cut off, your pacemaker will be pretty obvious to most folks.

I've been considering a nice DNR tattoo above my left nip.

glacier48
05-15-2008, 08:35
Some of my concerns are if the pack and the body gets separated such as falling when fording and losing my pack downstream. If hypothermic and such I would be unable to speak and my medical information would be lost.

My pacemaker scar is not that obvious, you would think it would be but it is not. There is not obvious lump either.

I think a medic alert bracelet and an emergency card available would be my best bet. I think I will engrave the bracelet with PACEMAKER, my name, and my husband's cell number. Sounds OK doesn't it?

Glacier

Footslogger
05-15-2008, 09:21
[quote=glacier48;623802]
My pacemaker scar is not that obvious, you would think it would be but it is not. There is not obvious lump either.

=======================================

Wish I could say that about mine. Incision healed up well but the ICD/Pacer sticks out like a sore thumb. Not much flesh/tissue there to hide it.

That said, I would agree with you that separation of the medical information from the hiker is/would be a problem and some form of ID worn right on the person would be a great idea. Maybe something like a military dogtag or as you pointed out, a bracelet, is the way to go. I hate things around my wrist when I hike so I'd probably opt for the dogtag approach.

But I will admit though that after your initial post I sat down and created a small card with my relevant personal and medical information on it. Off to Kinko's today to get it laminated in clear plastic and plan on carrying it with me from now on.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2008, 09:44
Some of my concerns are if the pack and the body gets separated such as falling when fording and losing my pack downstream. If hypothermic and such I would be unable to speak and my medical information would be lost.

I think a medic alert bracelet and an emergency card available would be my best bet. I think I will engrave the bracelet with PACEMAKER, my name, and my husband's cell number. Sounds OK doesn't it?

GlacierThe bracelet sounds good, but if I were in your shoes, I would consider getting a small, discrete tattoo showing you have the pacemaker. Bracelets and necklaces sometimes break or come off in situations like fording or tumbling down a shear dropoff.

Footslogger
05-15-2008, 09:48
The bracelet sounds good, but if I were in your shoes, I would consider getting a small, discrete tattoo showing you have the pacemaker. Bracelets and necklaces sometimes break or come off in situations like fording or tumbling down a shear dropoff.
==================================

I'm not opposed to a "medical" tatt ...but with all the blood thinners they have me on I'm liable to bleed to death in the process :eek:

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2008, 09:51

I'm not opposed to a "medical" tatt ...but with all the blood thinners they have me on I'm liable to bleed to death in the process :eek:Good point - your tat would need to be done by a dermatologist in a medical setting instead of a tattoo parlor if you chose to get one.

Footslogger
05-15-2008, 10:03
Good point - your tat would need to be done by a dermatologist in a medical setting instead of a tattoo parlor if you chose to get one.
==============================

Don't know any dermatologist/tattoo artists. Will have to look into that. I know plenty of dermatologists who specialize in REMOVING tatts though ...

'Slogger

sofaking
05-15-2008, 10:10

I'm not opposed to a "medical" tatt ...but with all the blood thinners they have me on I'm liable to bleed to death in the process :eek:

'Slogger
no, you'd just ooze a little more lymph fluid than you normally would.

Good point - your tat would need to be done by a dermatologist in a medical setting instead of a tattoo parlor if you chose to get one.

a well established and mananged tattoo shop practices sterilization and preventative cross contamination measures at least on the same level as your dentist or doctor's office, more than likely surpassing them...this isn't the 1970's biker garage industry that the general public likes to think it is. you don't get m.r.s.a. or a norovirus from a tattoo shop, but they're plaguing a lot of hospitals...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2008, 10:13

Don't know any dermatologist/tattoo artists. Will have to look into that. I know plenty of dermatologists who specialize in REMOVING tatts though ...Some women have makeup permanently tattooed on by a dermatologists who specialize in cosmetic surgery. I would think they could do such a tat.

StarLyte
05-15-2008, 10:15
Hello hiking community,

I start my hike on the AT soon (3 weeks) and I was wondering if any of you wear medic alert bracelets for the sake of easy access to your medical records. I have quite an extensive medical history, lung disease and a pacemaker which in itself warrants a bracelet but I thought of putting my name and Dr.'s phone number on it in case something happens to me and I need medical help. You know unconscious or such, maybe identify the body.= (just kidding). Is this anal retentive or what? Got any thoughts?

Glacier:sun

Absolutely.

Not only do I have a medic alert necklace that is etched: ASTHMATIC, I wear dog tags that have a description of my health issues, including my blood type, my doctor's name, my name, phone, city, AND soc. sec.# ....you never know, so why not be prepared. I sleep better that way ;) Reason for my social security # is so that if needed, medics can phone my hospital to obtain all medical records should my physician not be available.

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 10:27
BTW, it is anal-retentive.

Never forget the hyphen.

LOL - good one

mudhead
05-15-2008, 11:21
Sharpie. Self tattoo.

Repeat as needed.

glacier48
05-15-2008, 13:06
Are we talking a tattoo on my inside arm or where. I never thought of this way to make myself safe and I have never heard of a tattoo for this reason. Also my son is on blood thinner and he had no issues with bleeding alot more, a little bit more maybe.

sofaking
05-15-2008, 13:53
Are we talking a tattoo on my inside arm or where. I never thought of this way to make myself safe and I have never heard of a tattoo for this reason. Also my son is on blood thinner and he had no issues with bleeding alot more, a little bit more maybe.
google 'medic alert tattoos' or something similar. there have been loads of articles over the past ten years since tattooing became 'popular' again. be careful though, some sites might show nudity. those nasty, tattooed, rude, crude and socially unacceptable freaks. heh heh...

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 14:08

Don't know any dermatologist/tattoo artists. Will have to look into that. I know plenty of dermatologists who specialize in REMOVING tatts though ...

'SloggerThey do exist, I have negotiated with them for coloring the nipple and areola following breast reconstruction surgery. If I remember correctly, it was about $1800 per nipple, done in the office, Medicaid rates, several years ago, but I could be remembering wrong. I remember joking that we should just send the patient to a tattoo parlor and split the difference with them, but the dermatologist does use local anesthesia.

sofaking
05-15-2008, 14:19
They do exist, I have negotiated with them for coloring the nipple and areola following breast reconstruction surgery. If I remember correctly, it was about $1800 per nipple, done in the office, Medicaid rates, several years ago, but I could be remembering wrong. I remember joking that we should just send the patient to a tattoo parlor and split the difference with them, but the dermatologist does use local anesthesia.
tattoos don't hurt, mildly annoying like a bee sting, over and over again...unless you get them on your head. those hurt.

orangebug
05-15-2008, 22:32
We do see problems with hepatitis C in Tattoo parlors, even today. Ain't nothing without risk. I agree with making a few phone calls to dermatologist offices to see who offers cosmetic tattooing.

$1800 for a nipple? I wonder how much that doc charges for a ring. :eek:

Lellers
05-16-2008, 00:12
i wear a bracelet, carry a card, and enter contact info as ICE (In Case of Emergency) in my cell phone.

Bare Bear
05-16-2008, 00:34
I think I finally got the Prison Break tatoo thing down.............

Mercy
05-17-2008, 19:19
EMS, in all likelihood, isn't going to dig through your backpack.

You can get dog tags imprinted with whatever you want on them. I put my name and ICE (in case of emergency) with a phone number. I wear an insulin pump which identifies me as a diabetic during an initial examination. Just make sure your ICE number is someone who is always available and won't freak out if they are called. You could also put "med info in pack pocket" on the tag, "DNR" "allergic to..." or whatever.

Medic alert, and a few others, provide a service and have a manned 24-hr number that you can keep your info updated.... theirs isn't just an info tag.

Years ago I deep-gashed my wrist when I snagged a medic alert bracelet... I have quite a scar! Now I'm inclined to clip a dog tag to a belt loop.

I have a service dog that walks with me... with identification on her collar, her pack, and on a dog tag. My med info is in the pocket of her pack.

There really are ways around a lot of difficulties. No, its not anal....

Mercy