PDA

View Full Version : Need HIGH POINT info

RITBlake
05-14-2008, 14:40
Whiteblaze Army. We are supposed to meet some thru hiking friends Fri/Sat of this weekend somewhere near High Point State park in NJ.

I remember hearing that High Point might be closing....

My question(s)

1. Is the park closed to car travel?
2. What's a good, visible, landmark type place in the park that is accessible by car that a hiker will pass.
3. If the park is closed to car travel, what's a good alternative to meeting hikers a few miles North and South of HPSP.

Thanks in advance.

STEVEM
05-14-2008, 15:53
Whiteblaze Army. We are supposed to meet some thru hiking friends Fri/Sat of this weekend somewhere near High Point State park in NJ.

I remember hearing that High Point might be closing....

My question(s)

1. Is the park closed to car travel?
2. What's a good, visible, landmark type place in the park that is accessible by car that a hiker will pass.
3. If the park is closed to car travel, what's a good alternative to meeting hikers a few miles North and South of HPSP.

Thanks in advance.

1. Park is not closed. If they do close it they will do so in July.
2. Meet your friends at the Park Headquarters on NJ Rt 23. The AT basically
crosses the front lawn of the HQ Building. The AT parking lot is right next
to the HQ Building. You'll see a sign for AT parking.

rafe
05-14-2008, 19:15
The park HQ building is on a "major" road and AFAIK that's the only road that the AT crosses in the park. There's a big parking lot. It's a good place to hook up. This isn't a "park road" so it'll be open, regardless.

A-Train
05-14-2008, 19:22
The park HQ building is on a "major" road and AFAIK that's the only road that the AT crosses in the park. There's a big parking lot. It's a good place to hook up. This isn't a "park road" so it'll be open, regardless.

It's Route 23, about 5 miles from Port Jervis and New York. Near the town of Sussex I believe. There are several other roads you can drive to that cross the AT nearby, but this is the biggest.

RITBlake
05-14-2008, 21:16
thanks guy, perfect!