PDA

View Full Version : Profiling the "profilers"

Blue Jay
05-14-2008, 15:38
I remember the owner of a hostel just north of the Smokies speaking of "profiling" a given lady hiker. Today a couple of trail volunteers at an ATC facility were speaking of a man with some issues who had taken up residence in one of the shelters, and of "trail bums" and other politically correct critiques. Maybe it is time these volunteers and hostel managers take some courses in etiquette and tolerance. Considering that the ATC operates under its own bylaws and is also regulated by the federal government, if a hiker wanted to raise some prickly legal issues about intimidation and bullying he could. Also the privately owned hostels operate largely through cash transactions, which may not all be reported as taxable revenue. There are dozens of psychological buzzwords that are used to label and control people. Some of the same categorizations could be used to label groups of people who are not truly seeking the good of others. Lets try to get along with one another and end the subtle intimidations of hikers who are trying to live and let live and enjoy fellowship with the outdoors...

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:42
so i shouldn't call myself 'hiker trash'?

jesse
05-14-2008, 16:35
...Today a couple of trail volunteers at an ATC facility were speaking of a man with some issues who had taken up residence in one of the shelters, and of "trail bums" and other politically correct critiques...

trail bum is a politically correct term?

Freeleo
05-14-2008, 16:45
we are what we are thats the way its going to be

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 16:47
so i shouldn't call myself 'hiker trash'?

Some things are factual...if so it's not profiling.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 16:50
So what exactly happened: where, to whom, and when?

OwlsRevenge
05-14-2008, 16:54
me, i call em like i see em. damn political correctness.

just sayin'

le loupe
05-14-2008, 17:00
In this context what does "profiling" mean? And after all what's wrong with profiling? Doesn't it usually identify the "profiled" group?

Trail bums and living in shelters is a life safety issue, for me & other hikers (see Gary Hilton ) that need something more than tolerance and just getting along with one another.

Dances with Mice
05-14-2008, 17:45
Everything Mr. Jay wrote about appears to be in line with the ATC's trail safety recommendations (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3948755/k.43D6/Safety_Awareness_for_AT_Hikers.htm). I see no problem at all with with "profiling" nor any need to train volunteers in "etiquette and tolerance" of a "man with some issues" squatting in a shelter.

Making unproved allusions to shady business practices at an un-named but barely-disguised hostel, however, is reprehensible. That's a credibility killer.

Stay alert. Pay attention to details of your surroundings and people you encounter, and look for anything that does not fit or sends a red flag. It is easier to avoid getting into a dangerous situation than to get out of one. Trust your instincts about strangers.

Be wary of people who make you uneasy. Avoid or get away quickly from people who act suspicious, hostile, or intoxicated or exhibit aggressive curiosity or any other behaviors that just don’t feel right, even if you can’t explain why. Trust your instincts, even when someone claims to be an authority figure or “trail angel.” Don’t worry about being judgmental or hurting someone’s feelings—your safety may depend on it. Don’t stay in a shelter or engage in conversation with anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable. Criminals are often opportunistic—even engaging in polite conversation with someone who is overly aggressive may signal to them you are an easy target. Don't reveal your itinerary. Make note of as many details about the person as you can, and report them to law enforcement or ATC.

taildragger
05-14-2008, 18:01
me, i call em like i see em. damn political correctness.

just sayin'

I agree, I call it as I see it, PC be damned, and I'm not offended when I get profiled either (usually its somewhat accurate)