PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Rice

sarbar
05-14-2008, 15:48
Warning: This is a food snob post :D I love food, but you all know that!

Bamboo rice is an incredibly pretty rice. It is a sticky (glutinous) rice that is infused with bamboo juice leaving it vivid green. When cooked it has an herbal smell and flavor. In sushi it is awesome. It supposedly has quite the boost of B vitamins as well.

I prepared a double batch of rice - 3 cups water brought to a boil, adding in 1 1/2 cups rice. Bring back to a boil, stirring, cover and drop heat to low. Let cook for 15 minutes. Take the lid off and scoop out the rice, fluffing it up. the 2 cups raw rice will produce about 6 cups cooked.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/Bamrice.jpg

I spread about 2 cups cooked rice on each mesh lined dehydrator tray. The rice was dryed at 135* for about 5 hours. Humidity may affect that - so start checking at 3 hours. Break up clumps as well.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/Bamrice2.jpg

When dry it produced 3 cups rice. To rehydrate use a 1:1 ratio of water to rice. A 1/2 cup serving would work well with other items.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/Bamrice3.jpg

~Sarah

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:51
neat. how much does 3 cups dried weigh?

sarbar
05-14-2008, 16:03
neat. how much does 3 cups dried weigh?

13 1/2 ounces dehydrated. When raw it weighed in at 15 ounces :)

desdemona
05-14-2008, 23:58
There are a lot of "new" (probably very old) types of rice that you can get now. I got someone a box of red rice which she was crazy about.
I'm guessing some of these are heirloom types.

--des

sarbar
05-15-2008, 10:32
Yep....we are seeing more and more types of rice out there. Most of them were hard to find even 3 years ago. When I worked for the Thai importer I loved red cargo rice and black sticky rice. Good stuff!
It has so much flavor compared to boring long grain white rice :D

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 11:55
So they definitely don't have this stuff at my Trader Joes, just got back. I will have to look for it in Chinatown. Where did you get it? I want it NOW.

There were also still out of my 99 cent Thai rice noodles, the guy checked, and said they are "unorderable" but did not know if that is permanent or temporary. I wonder if it has to do with the world-wide rice shortage.

sarbar
05-15-2008, 16:11
AT, I found the bamboo rice at Target (not a Super one either, all our regular ones sell food). I have seen comparable bamboo rice at Whole Foods and similar places as well. Though Target was way cheaper!

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 16:16
AT, I found the bamboo rice at Target (not a Super one either, all our regular ones sell food). I have seen comparable bamboo rice at Whole Foods and similar places as well. Though Target was way cheaper!Gee, I walked right past Whole Foods to get to Trader Joes. I went to another grocery store this afternoon, too. I will have to go to Target next time I'm in Queens, I try to avoid Whole Foods near me because it is so cramped and crowded and the lines are so long and the prices so high. Thanks!

Frau
05-15-2008, 18:31
I can only get sticky rice at a co-op which is an hour away. I have no idea where I can find bamboo juice.

Fr.

sarbar
05-16-2008, 00:05
I can only get sticky rice at a co-op which is an hour away. I have no idea where I can find bamboo juice.

Fr.
Actually the rice is presoaked in it :) It comes that way :)

Farr Away
05-21-2008, 16:59
I saw bamboo rice in the local WalMart last night. It was 6 something for a 15 ounce glass jar of rice. They also had several other types of gourmet rice.

I may try this at some point, but last night I decided to go for the $4, 5 lb bag of jasmine rice. I love that stuff.

sarbar
05-21-2008, 18:24
Mmm...Jasmine rice. You just cannot go wrong with that! I buy it in 25 lb bags :D