PDA

View Full Version : Will I need a new wardrobe?

glacier48
05-14-2008, 18:15
Hey there female hikers,

Part of my excitement about going on the AT for 3 months is the weight loss that hopefully will occur. I just wanted to hear some stories from you about weight loss or more importantly getting in shape. I am trying to save some money for when I get back, I am hoping that I need a new wardrobe. Currently I am 80lbs overweight. Don't you think that there will be a huge difference? Please say yes.

Glacier:sun

River Runner
05-14-2008, 18:44
I think there will be a huge difference. But (you knew there would be one), you will also have to think about the fact that after your hike you will need to reduce calories and increase exercise to keep any of the weight off. While you are hiking, you will be burning tremendous amounts of calories and will grow an appetite to suit. Curtailing the appetite once you get back to normal life can be a problem. If you don't make lifestyle changes, the weight will come back.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 18:47
I lost 45 or 50 pounds on my thru but I weigh 5 or 10 pounds more now than I did before starting. If I were to thru-hike again, I would have a plan to keep the weight off when I finished. I still have my "hikers appetite" sometimes and on a hike you get used to eating whatever you want whenever you can get it. Don't throw your "fat" clothes away--stick them in the attic.

Blissful
05-14-2008, 19:12
Yes, you will lose weight. The trick is to keep it off once you get back and want to eat up a storm. I lost a total of 30 lbs on my hike, have gained back ten, but still needed to buy some new clothes. I am also running to try and keep the weight gain to a minimum. But nothing can replace the amt of exercise you do hiking all day, day in and day out.

glacier48
05-14-2008, 19:14
Oh man. I thought that maintenance would be easier than that. Is it that your appetite stays the same, you get used to eating more or is it less activity? Probably all. I will have to think about an after plan. I would like to stay in shape if possible---I see a gym in my future.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 19:19
Is it that your appetite stays the same, you get used to eating more or is it less activity? Probably all.Yes, yes, and yes. Your experience could be different but I wouldn't count on it.
I will have to think about an after plan. I would like to stay in shape if possible---I see a gym in my future.Start now. You're smart to plan ahead.

Frau
05-14-2008, 19:25
I lost 122 pounds via Gastric Bypass Surgery AND hiking. I started with really pushing myself to walk 2 miles of flat terrain. Then three, then uphill, then 3.5 uphill. I made SURE I decreased my hiking time or increased my distance each time I went out. My crowning glory was 11.8 miles on very steep terrain With Winston Wonder Dog April a year ago (note my age).

I kept up a vigorous walking and hiking schedule of at LEAST 5 miles every day. THEN I started a 5 month EMT class this past fall and my wonderful schedule was ruined and I started to gain. I have held my gain at 20 pounds, and have forced myself back into a hiking/walking schedule despite teaching, coaching and dog grooming.

I am SO eager for tennis to be over and then 2 weeks later for school to be out so that I can go back to my 5 miles per weekday and 8/9 Sat and Sundays.

Re: wardrobe--you will lose a lot, and as a stop gap measure for clothing go to Goodwill. MANY of my clothing items have come from there. I have found Columbia nylon pants and several wicking shirts there. Also, when you get your weight off check the Super Special Deals at campmor.com.

And, yes, you MUST come up with a plan to keep the weight off. I had hiker appetite while sitting in a chair taking notes in class ande munched way too much. When not in class I would take a walk around the neighborhood if I felt the urge to eat. Make yourself a workable plan which needs to include a workable diet. Start on that diet NOW and make sure you can stick to it.

PS--buying clothing 12 sizes smaller is the greatest feeling in the world. Remember what Obesity Help.com says--NOTHING tastes as good as THIN feels.

Have fun on your many-fold journey!

Frau

Blissful
05-14-2008, 19:36
Its tough because you want to eat that bag of Oreos or Dunkin donuts (boy did I like those on the trail!) when you get back and you can't. I began as soon as I got off the trail. Go back to lower fat, lower carb stuff. Eat small meals. Watch white sugar intake. And make sure you have some kind of exercise regimen in place. Honestly, if you can run, it simulates hiking the best. But you have to do it slowly to give your muscles time to change from hiking to running.

Blissful
05-14-2008, 19:37
IPS--buying clothing 12 sizes smaller is the greatest feeling in the world. Remember what Obesity Help.com says--NOTHING tastes as good as THIN feels.

Have fun on your many-fold journey!

Frau

Wow I thought I was good dropping two sizes (!). Good for you.

Bear Cables
05-14-2008, 19:52
Oh man. I thought that maintenance would be easier than that. Is it that your appetite stays the same, you get used to eating more or is it less activity? Probably all. I will have to think about an after plan. I would like to stay in shape if possible---I see a gym in my future.

Yes there should be a gym in your future or at least a home workout routine. In fact I hope there is one now to be sure you are physically fit for your trek. (I am a PE teacher so I think like this...)Something you will stick to. I usually lose about 5 lbs just on a 5 day hike and a few inches but maintaining is the key. It's a good jump start but as others have said maintain maintain maintain. Just remember is all about math. Calories in vs. calories burned. Good luck with your Thru.:banana

Frau
05-14-2008, 20:08
I wanted to post about diet. Because of my surgery I at first could eat very few things and only in VERY small amounts. To make sure I could hack the new diet, I put mysefl on the bariatric diet 3 months before my surgery, and lost my initial 30 pounds. I was already into my walking routine while doing this.

No no's: sugar--I eat next to none. Make carbs count--eat fruits and vegs NOT bread. I have been able to eat lots of diary products. NO rice, pasta, potatoes, bread. When my STRENUOUS hiking begain I found I could add in whole very grain (like with wheat berries in it), and small amounts of rice or potatoes. What I eat a lot of--protein, and a surprisingly large amount of fat. I have to be careful to take back OUT the no no's when I am not hiking a lot.

Something I forgot to mention in my prevous post--I started trail running--only downhill, but it is still wonderful exercise and boost for the cardio-workout, as part of my training.

Frau

glacier48
05-15-2008, 08:46
Thanks for giving me a chance to think about this situation and to listen to your stories. Frau, your weight loss story is amazing and good for you going back to school. I too will go to school in the fall. I have been working on confidence, self esteem issues and on my depression. After 6 months of intense work on myself I am hoping that this hike will just top off all the work. Yes I hope to lose alot of weight on this trip but I hope to gain a new me with more courage and self worth on the inside. This is the biggest adventure I have ever done and I am proud of myself and scared to death all at the same time. I am a social worker so I give to others everyday but somehow I have always overlooked myself-this is a chance for me to work on me. thanks for all your views. Frau what are you taking for a major in school?

Glacier
(2 weeks 6 days before I leave) Yipee!

Frau
05-15-2008, 09:08
I teach high school German and Latin, and dual-enrollment Intro and Abnormal Psychology. I always wanted to be a physician, though. My sweetheart, Nessmuk, is a nurse and EMT so shortly after we met I joined the local squad and took the EMT-B certification class this past fall--and passed. This is as close to being a physician as I will be in this lifetime. There are higher levels of EMT training that I can take, but I need a break right now. I say that right after I volunteered, with Nessmuk, to be on the EMT competition team;).

I also have to take teaching recert. classes every so many years. I have an MAEd, and enough hours for a PhD, were they all depress-pursuant. It is the time in my life that things should get easier not harder. I may give up coachingm, just to have more free time in the mountains. All I want to do anymore, is hike and paddle--not a bad aspiration, IMHO :sun.

Your courage to work on yourself is be admired and praised. I set out to change myself MANY years ago, when I went off to college. It is NEVER to late to work on yourself. We are all works in progress until we pass on to the next level.

Frau

Frau
05-15-2008, 10:05
I was typing when the bell rang. It should be:

degree-pursuant

jeezy peezy

Fr

Red Hat
05-15-2008, 12:32
In 2005 I was about 20 lbs overweight when I hiked. I lost only 5 lbs in the 6 weeks I hiked. (Sure I was moving more, but I also was eating more!) After returning home, I kept eating like a hiker and put on another 20 lbs over a year and half. Somehow my body kept thinking I needed more calories, but I didn't! Anyway, I joined Weight Watchers in Jan 2007 and began to lose the weight. I lost 35 lbs and made my Life Membership. The hard part just began. Maintaining weight loss is harder than losing! I must constantly keep track of what I'm eating as well as keep on moving more. So, will you lose weight - probably... will you keep it off - that's up to you!