PDA

View Full Version : bear cables?

Bear Cables
05-14-2008, 19:28
We are hiking in a couple of week starting at the NOC to Fontana, then on to Clingmans dome. I am assuming the bear cables are good at the GSM shelters and campsite at Birch Springs but does anyone know how the cables are at the three shelters between NOC and Fontana?

Blissful
05-14-2008, 19:31
I don't recall per say but since they can and do break or get stuck, make sure you have back up rope.

Have a super time.

Bear Cables
05-15-2008, 12:20
I don't recall per say but since they can and do break or get stuck, make sure you have back up rope.

Have a super time.

I contacted Jim Lowe with the GSM hiking club of the ATC . He is in charge of trail crews in that section. No bear cables at the three shelters between NOC and Fontana nor at Birch Springs campground. Hope this is helpful to other who may want to know.

Bare Bear
05-15-2008, 18:40
I do suggest you take 50 foot of parachute type cord and use your own. It is a great section you are doing BTW.

Bear Cables
05-16-2008, 00:34
I do suggest you take 50 foot of parachute type cord and use your own. It is a great section you are doing BTW.

I do have a bear cord but I have decided to go with a bear canister. Less hassel .I am looking forward to this section.