PDA

View Full Version : Flat lands

Bear Cables
05-14-2008, 19:54
Does anyone else live in a flat land with little hiking opportunities. South Louisian trial are ususally swap trails....not fun. How do you get your fix?

beeman
05-14-2008, 20:04
I will drive for 6 hours to get to some semblance of mountains to hike. This summer, I plan to drive for more like 9 hours to get to hiking country with elevation.

steve43
05-15-2008, 07:37
for me its about a 3 or 4 hour drive to get to some foothills of the appalachians in southern ohio which has some pretty decent trails.... but around bowling green, trails are few and far between. there's a metro park about a half hour away that has a 17 mile trail, and there's a trail that runs along the maumee river, but that's about it. the buckeye trail goes through my county, but its all a road hike which doesn't appeal to me....but.... on june 4th LW is shuttling me from damascus to pearisburg for my yearly section hike. being back on *the* trail is about all i can think about right now..... fifo

Mrs Baggins
05-15-2008, 07:45
Western South Carolina - not far from Augusta GA. Can't stand it here. I have the time to go hiking all week and nowhere to go. And there are no outfitters within less than 1 1/2 hour drive. I don't want to do a 4 - 5 hour drive up to some decent mountains and hike by myself. (sad fact of being a female on a trail). Even the Foothills Trail is a good 2 - 3 hours and I'd still have to go alone. And now the price of gas is making it too prohibitive to drive that far. This weekend we're going to go explore the northern VA area for places to live so we can get closer to the mountains again. Used to live in central Maryland with AT very close by.

budforester
05-15-2008, 07:53
Does anyone else live in a flat land with little hiking opportunities. South Louisian trial are ususally swap trails....not fun. How do you get your fix?

Look north. You're not far from some Mississippi hills and hollers. Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes have some pretty dayhikes. There is a state park planned in the Tunica Hills (doubt I could still hike by the time it is completed). Kisatchie NF is our best bet in Louisiana. This hiking club (http://www.hikelouisiana.org/)is very active and has trail info.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2008, 08:35

How far are you from the Ouchita Trail in Arkansas?

wahoo
05-15-2008, 08:45
I feel your pain, Rhonda. I'm down here in Florida, the Florida Trail is about two miles away, so I spend a great deal of time on it.
I head up to North Georgia a couple of times a year, that's how I get my fix. Either that or I hike the same little hill over and over again..!

Tilly
05-15-2008, 08:55
I live in Northern Indiana, and the lack of mountainous terrain doesn't bother me, the complete lack of things to do outside bothers me. Aside from a few county parks, and Indiana Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore, there is nowhere to go. I have to have surgery this summer, but after that I'm moving.

Hoop
05-15-2008, 10:06
Flat as a pancake in Waycross, Ga - the ol' jeep clatters north for 6 hrs to breath mountain air.

Seeker
05-15-2008, 12:19
i feel your pain too... i'm over by fort polk. moved here from knoxville, tn. ouch! i get small fixes from hiking the Kisatchie National Forest and canoeing the Ouiski Chitto or Sabine. canoeing's more a summer thing, when it's too hot to enjoy hiking. backpacking's more a fall/spring thing.

My big fixes come during trips home to upstate new york (Adirondacks) or back to visit Knoxville. I've heard the Ouachittas up in Arkansas are nice, but it's 8 hours over secondary roads (no interstate straight north).

Red Hat
05-15-2008, 12:51
Yep, me too in south central Texas. I live outside of town where there are several country roads with a few hills, and a Corps of Engineers lake with a few trails. That's it for me till I get to the AT... Miss it a lot!

DesertMTB
05-15-2008, 12:55
I live in the flat and sandy midlands of South Carolina. No real hiking. AT and Pisgah 2 to 4 hours away, but with gas prices I can't afford it. I truly miss living in Phoenix, Az.

Bear Cables
05-15-2008, 13:27
Look north. You're not far from some Mississippi hills and hollers. Tangipahoa and Washington Parishes have some pretty dayhikes. There is a state park planned in the Tunica Hills (doubt I could still hike by the time it is completed). Kisatchie NF is our best bet in Louisiana. This hiking club (http://www.hikelouisiana.org/)is very active and has trail info.

Good resourse. I think I'll check out the hiking club.

Bear Cables
05-15-2008, 13:28
How far are you from the Ouchita Trail in Arkansas?

At least 10 hours:( About the same as getting to the AT in GA

insider2185
05-15-2008, 13:30

Yup thats pretty much it. From Lafayette, Tunica Hills is about 2 hours with Kisatchie a bit passed Alexandria.

insider2185
05-15-2008, 13:34
http://packpaddle.com/serverside/tripdetail.asp?id=115

Pack and Paddle (a Lafayette gear shop) is hosting a trip to Tunica Hills (aka Clark Creek Natural Area) on the 24th. But this is a guided trip, so a fee is involved. However, this place is so easy to find, then you could just take the trip there yourself.

Bear Cables
05-15-2008, 16:38
http://packpaddle.com/serverside/tripdetail.asp?id=115

Pack and Paddle (a Lafayette gear shop) is hosting a trip to Tunica Hills (aka Clark Creek Natural Area) on the 24th. But this is a guided trip, so a fee is involved. However, this place is so easy to find, then you could just take the trip there yourself.

I've been to Tunica Hills several times. It is beautiful but the downside is it's only a day hike.

insider2185
05-15-2008, 16:57
True...but guess you gotta play the hand that is dealt to ya