PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather iso-butane?

Squeamish
05-14-2008, 20:56
Is it true that Jetboil makes a "cold weather" iso-butane mix. I think it is the 100g (small) canister. Anyone have any experiance/advice on this? Is this true?

hammock engineer
05-14-2008, 21:56
They do. I'm not sure the difference. In the super cold I sleep with my fuel canister. If not I put it under my arm to warm it before using it. Working fine in my Jetboil.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 22:19
par for the course when using canisters in frigid temps, you get to get all snuggly with the cold, biting, metal - think i'm going to switch over to my pump fuel bottle this winter. wait, i said the same thing last winter...

hammock engineer
05-14-2008, 22:26
I usually put mine in with either my clothes bag or inside of my pack liner turned inside out with my boots. Everytime I put something in by itself it gets lose in the abyss that is the bottom of my sleeping bag.

Bob S
05-14-2008, 23:51
Coleman PowerMax canisters do very well in the cold.

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 01:52
I think all the major manufacturers(Jetpower, MSR, GAZ, etc) have similar propane/isobutane ratios, about 20% propane/80% isobutane. just put your canister inside your sleeping bag overnight or inside your jacket to warm it up before using in really cold weather.

http://www.adventurenetwork.com/cgi-bin/adventurenetwork/Propane_Butane.html