PDA

View Full Version : Lightest pack with sleeping bag section ...

darkage
05-15-2008, 00:03
I'm in need of droping some serious lbs off my gear ... i'm have trail issues from too much weight this season, maybe cause its early and i've been lazy over the winter .. but regardless ...

The basics i'll be carrying are a hubba hubba or equal in weight tent, maybe an rei ... but all the same ... a sleep pad agnes air core, a 2-3 lb sleeping bag i've yet to get, "this is all new stuff i will be buying" .. also my stove is a jetboil ... then my normal, first aid .. clothes/food/water ...

I currently have a 5500 ATI pack at 7 lbs ... i must get rid of this thing before i scream ... I've been looking at smaller packs but like the pinnicle/quest and asprey 60 ... but they don't have sleeping bag compartments ... i'd rather not strap um to the pack ... with this said ... is my best option the Go-lite oddysey ? ... 3 lbs 10 ounces for the pack at medium .... its the same pack i get now is the one i start next spring in georgia ... i can't thru ... but i'll be going thro the smokies to section off ..

Thanks for your opinion guys, hope i gave enough info for some solid options i might be missing ... i know nothing beats going to the local rei or cabellas or whichever outfitter and trying stuff on .. but i wanna hear what you guys think first before i set off to the outfitter ... i know sometimes they only wanna sell what they need sold and could lead me away from my needs ... not saying the all do ... but i wanna hear some thoughts on packs with enough room and as light as i can go for my needs.

envirodiver
05-15-2008, 00:14
IMO the sleeping bag compartment is not necessary. I always have a trash compactor bag inside my pack for waterproofing.

I learned this trick on WB. Put your sleeping bag in a large stuff sack (I use sinylon) and then put it in the bottom of your pack. Stuff it down in there and it fills up all the nooks and crannies. Then just put the rest of your gear on top of that. Takes up surprislingly little space that way.

Seeker
05-15-2008, 00:59
you said you need to drop serious pounds. so do that first... examine everything you carry, weigh it, justify it, and submit it here for opinion. only then will you know how much it weighs and how much room it takes up, which is the exact information you must have before you buy a pack. don't put the cart before the horse.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 01:35
IMO the sleeping bag compartment is not necessary. I always have a trash compactor bag inside my pack for waterproofing.

I learned this trick on WB. Put your sleeping bag in a large stuff sack (I use sinylon) and then put it in the bottom of your pack. Stuff it down in there and it fills up all the nooks and crannies. Then just put the rest of your gear on top of that. Takes up surprislingly little space that way.

I agree, you may use different sleeping bags for different trips? Buy a different pack for each bag? That compactor bag is the only way to keep a bag dry in a drenching rain. If it is in one of those compartmented packs, it'll get wet. If you try placing the stuff sack in a plastic bag, the zipper will get hung up in it and tear holes in the compactor bag in short order.

darkage
05-15-2008, 01:52
Kk, Everything i listed is what i will be carrying for sections 2 weeks out at a time and weekend trips ... some of those items i don't yet have, but will ... what i own now is a 5 lbs sleeping bag from walmart, my tents a 7 lb beast "hence why i was getting the hubba" and split the weight with my brother ... my pack currently is again 7 lbs ... i currently use a homeade woodstove but will be taking the jetboil for the section hikes ...

I don't plan on being caught in less than 20-30f so the bag will be a 2-3lb 30f rated sleeping bag ... I know what will be in it ... thats not the issue ... its finding a pack that is big enough to hold the new items, yet as light as possible ....

Hooch
05-15-2008, 06:55
I'm in complete agreement with Seeker and Take-a-knee. If you want to lighten your load, drop weight from what's in the pack first. Once you have all, or at least the overwhelming majority of your gear that you're going to use, take it all with you to a reputable outfitter and see what they've got that will carry your gear comfortably. When you know what your load will weight in at, sans pack, you can pick out a good pack that it right for the job. If you do this the other way around, you'll just wind up with a light pack full of heavy stuff. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeping bag compartment. You're better off to stuff your sleeping bag in a sil stuff sack and put in down in the bottom of a trash bag compactor lined pack.

That said, some good lightweight choices for packs that I would recommend are the REI Cruise 60 (http://www.rei.com/product/747520) (my current pack), ULA Catalyst (http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.htm), or the Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian (http://www.rei.com/product/758822). This, of course isn't an all inclusive list. I would definitely suggest going to a good outfitter, getting fitted properly and listening to their recommendations. Good luck on your quest for the perfect pack. :D

LIhikers
05-15-2008, 07:04
I have a Mountainsmith Boundry pack that I like. It's a 4577 cubic inches and a couple ounces under 4.5 pounds and I find it very comfortable. It's got the sleeping bag compartment like you want plus a couple of outside and inside pockets. And the price is less than the Golite pack that you mentioned. J
ust another one for you to consider.

LIhikers
05-15-2008, 07:05
Opps.......... that's Mountainsmith Boundary

bigcranky
05-15-2008, 09:49
I've never understood why a pack needs a separate "sleeping bag compartment" on the bottom, with it's own zippered door. I have never -- not once -- taken my bag out during the day. It's the last thing to come out of my pack in the evening, and the first thing to go inside in the morning. My bag is in a stuff sack inside a plastic liner bag at the bottom of my pack. On top goes my clothing stuff sack (if any), and my personal ditty bag, then I close the plastic bag. On top of that goes my food bag, then my tarp and a warm jacket (if needed.)

As others have suggested, you might wait until you have your other "lighter" gear before you buy the pack. Then you can get a pack that fits your gear. The Aether 60 is a great pack. You might also look at the Six Moons Designs Starlite -- similar capacity, half the weight.

darkage
05-15-2008, 13:15
Got ya's, i understand and will take it all into consideration ... i was looking for a pack with a bag compartment cause when i do weekend hikes my tents/bag are first to get put in soon as i get to a camp site so i don't need to do after i sit an eat ... pulling everything outta my pack to get to my bag and then put it all back just to continue hiking in the morning is work i shouldn't haven't to do ... But i get it, i'll start with the tent since its my biggest bulkiest item that would reduce weight alone by 4-5 just by replacing it ... Thanks for the replys but i guess i'll take the advice an do that ... but i'd still like to read options on packs if anyone else would like to chime in ...

Thanks, jay.

Bare Bear
05-15-2008, 18:38
Never saw any need for a sleepingbag compartment...bells and whistles add weight not comfort. Get a good resturant scale that weighs in grams/ozs (usally have a top load of five pounds) then weigh everything you want to carry. I found it really helps you decide what is necessary versus what is nice when you see the weights individually.

Skidsteer
05-15-2008, 18:56
Got ya's, i understand and will take it all into consideration ... i was looking for a pack with a bag compartment cause when i do weekend hikes my tents/bag are first to get put in soon as i get to a camp site so i don't need to do after i sit an eat ... pulling everything outta my pack to get to my bag and then put it all back just to continue hiking in the morning is work i shouldn't haven't to do ... But i get it, i'll start with the tent since its my biggest bulkiest item that would reduce weight alone by 4-5 just by replacing it ... Thanks for the replys but i guess i'll take the advice an do that ... but i'd still like to read options on packs if anyone else would like to chime in ...

Thanks, jay.

Once you get your packed items down to only what is needed, it takes about ten seconds to unpack it. No biggie.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 19:37
What about a rucksack? Use a pad to line it. I thought this was a way to go lighter?

hopefulhiker
05-15-2008, 20:44
Luxurylite.com pack has individual waterproof cylinders.. weighs about 2 lbs...

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2008, 21:31

I agree only I use a cheap industrial strength garbage bag, keep the bag dry. I worry about compression sacks - seems overkill

Wags
05-15-2008, 22:51
i'd suggest you just keep your eyes peeled in the 'selling gear' forums. no need to buy a brand new pack when you can get a quality pack from somebody here. i got my gregory z55 for $100... same deal w/ the tent. since going UL is so trendy, a lot of guys are getting rid of good gear for good prices.

i'd keep my eyes peeled here as well:
http://www.geartrade.com/browse/106/92