PDA

View Full Version : north carolina towns?

brack
02-08-2004, 23:32
hey there im new to this community. i am planning a spring break hike to do the georgia section of the AT. i am looking for a place across the nc border where my girlfriend can pick me up. anyone have suggestions or places? the first major road i noticed that ran into the AT in nc is hwy 64. anyone know anything closer or if theres a good place there to meet? thanks for your time...

brack

smokymtnsteve
02-08-2004, 23:43
rainbow springs campground or standing indian campground

gardenville
02-09-2004, 00:33
Hi Brack, Look for Mooney Gap, mile 95.5 (AT) going north you can get off the AT here. USFS Road 83 crosses the trail (4480'). This is a decent gravel road that goes down through the Coweeta Hydrologaical Laboratory area and to US Hwy 411 about 5 or 6 miles north of the GA/NC State line on Hwy 411. I have used USFS 83 to go to Mooney Gap several times you just need to watch for the trail crossing. It isn't hard to find but if you live close enough I would do a road recon with your girl friend first. There are signs on Hwy 411 pointing to the turn off road for the Coweeta Hyd Lab. If she gets to Otto, NC (sign and gas station) she has passed the road.

Lilred
02-09-2004, 08:20
hey there im new to this community. i am planning a spring break hike to do the georgia section of the AT. i am looking for a place across the nc border where my girlfriend can pick me up. anyone have suggestions or places? the first major road i noticed that ran into the AT in nc is hwy 64. anyone know anything closer or if theres a good place there to meet? thanks for your time...

brack

Just north of the N.C. border, at Deep Gap, you can take the Kimsey Creek trail all the way to Standing Indian Campground. There is a forest service road at Deep Gap where she could pick you up, but it's not identified very well.