PDA

View Full Version : Medical/ emergency kit.

Stir Fry
05-15-2008, 09:41
Trying to tweek my pack weight. I have seen several times where people have said there medical kits are 4-5 oz. Hopping to havce mine picked apart to see if I have to much.
Miscellaneous and medical/repair kit.
Q-Tips x6
Extra Batteries for light x1
Band-aids x6
Antiseptic ointment x4
Mole Skin 1 sheet
Patch kit & seam seal
200 lb. test Line 50 ft.
Scissors 1 small
Medical tape ˝ role
Derma Bond
Lighter, spare
Mini roll duct tape
Total 12oz.

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 09:58
Trying to tweek my pack weight. I have seen several times where people have said there medical kits are 4-5 oz. Hopping to havce mine picked apart to see if I have to much.
Q-Tips x6
Band-aids x6
Antiseptic ointment x4
Mole Skin 1 sheet
Patch kit & seam seal
200 lb. test Line 50 ft.
Scissors 1 small
Medical tape ˝ role
Derma Bond
Lighter, spare
Mini roll duct tape
Total 12oz.

How much duct tape do you have? Is it on something to make a roll? You can make it into a flatpack and eliminate the core and extra length.
Are you using Bic mini-lighters?
Consider using the duct tape instead of moleskin.
You can take less antibiotic ointment, you only need a tiny bit, you can fold the little pack back up.
I like having scissors but do you have some on your knife?
Do you need extra batteries? Most LEDs dim slowly, over a period of weeks, you have plenty of time to buy spares.
Bandaids don't stick too well, I use TP and duct tape if I really need to cover a wound, really open-to-air rather than dressed is the trend for wounds. In the hospital once drainage stops you get a light gauze if anything. A dressing acts as a reservoir for the growth of organisms and prevents sterilizing sunlight, and air, from getting to the wound.
You may not need quite 50 feet of line, I carry that much, minus bits and pieces I've used for zipper pulls, etc., but you don't really need it.
You don't need medical tape if you have good-quality duct tape. If your duct tape is crappy, get some good stuff.
Do your seam-sealing before you leave. I'm not sure what the patch kit is for but it is rare that you need it for anything, leave it at home if it's not for your water container, or minimize it.
I carry superglue from the dollar store instead of DermaBond, never used it on me, just my stuff. Pretty handy especially in conjunction with duct tape.
You may also want OTC stuff like ibuprophen, aspirin, vitamins, and I assume you have something with alcohol for cleaning wounds.
Also put in a couple of needles for sewing with dental floss (make sure the eye will admit the floss) and popping blisters, etc.

Hooch
05-15-2008, 10:02
Q-Tips x6
Band-aids x6
Antiseptic ointment x4
Mole Skin 1 sheet
Patch kit & seam seal
200 lb. test Line 50 ft.
Scissors 1 small
Medical tape ˝ role
Derma Bond
Lighter, spare
Mini roll duct tape
Total 12oz.

As a nurse with a background in trauma nursing, my advice unto thee is this:

Drop the Q-tips.
Drop the medical tape, duct tape or a bandana will work just fine.
Drop the separate scissors, carry a swiss army knife if you must have them. Otherwise just carry a good sharp knife.
Add a couple safety pins.

These are the contents of my first aid kit:

2 4x4's
2 3x4 Telfa pads
4 mini packs triple antibiotic ointment
6 band-aids
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
2 sheets moleskin
4 safety pins
1 vial Mastisol
1 Albuterol Inhaler (my hiking partner is asthmatic)

Just make sure you have all your bases covered and, most importantly, know how to provide proper first aid with the supplies that you do carry, no matter what they are. Knowing how to do CPR isn't a bad idea either.

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 10:17
Add a good pair of tweezers to remove splinters and ticks.

A single edge razor blade can be helpful as well(deep splinters, shaving callouses, etc and can replace the scissors if you like although carrying both would be fine.

Add a few Ibuprofen and Immodium AD(or other anti-diarrhea) at minimum.

Ditto on the prior suggestions on alcohol wipes, needles, floss, etc.

Get the green "200mph" duct tape. I carry about 10' wrapped around the old large prescription vial that holds my 1st aid stuff. Besides all the obvious mending and bandaid uses, in a pinch it works to tape a sprained or broken ankle, and two wraps top and two wraps bottom of this stuff on a stout stick or closed cell pad and you can splint a knee/leg/arm or whatever.

What's the 50' of line for in addition to what you normally carry?

Stir Fry
05-15-2008, 10:28
My meds are seperate. I have all the med listed plus some required by doctor.

Thank for the sugestions, I'll see how much I save by removing some items.

Christopher Robin
05-15-2008, 10:32

A single edge razor blade can be helpful as well(deep splinters, shaving callouses, etc and can replace the scissors if you like although carrying both would be fine.

Add a few Ibuprofen and Immodium AD(or other anti-diarrhea) at minimum.

Ditto on the prior suggestions on alcohol wipes, needles, floss, etc.

Get the green "200mph" duct tape. I carry about 10' wrapped around the old large prescription vial that holds my 1st aid stuff. Besides all the obvious mending and bandaid uses, in a pinch it works to tape a sprained or broken ankle, and two wraps top and two wraps bottom of this stuff on a stout stick or closed cell pad and you can splint a knee/leg/arm or whatever.

What's the 50' of line for in addition to what you normally carry?
All good, add Emergency Space Blanket, & whisel.:sun

Stir Fry
05-15-2008, 10:35
Have Whisel. I usualy leave space blanket home for late spring and summer hiking.

Captain
05-15-2008, 11:05
As a nurse with a background in trauma nursing, my advice unto thee is this:

Drop the Q-tips.
Drop the medical tape, duct tape or a bandana will work just fine.
Drop the separate scissors, carry a swiss army knife if you must have them.
Drop the sleeping bag
Drop the backpack
Drop the jacket
Drop the sigg bottle
Drop the compass
Drop the tent
Drop the sunscreen
Drop your... pants

Otherwise just carry a good sharp knife.

Add a couple scorpions
Add flashing "HAZARD" lights
Add duct tape
Add several dozen hypodermic needles
Add an avalanche rescue personal GPS beacon
Add 39 years of pent up sexual tension
Add a couple safety pins.
Add enough beer to pickle a pickle

but above all remember im "registered" in 39 states

HOOCH!! how could you!

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 11:17

Oops, I forgot to mention that, very important.

DesertMTB
05-15-2008, 11:20
Oops, I forgot to mention that, very important.

Isn't that why God gave us fingernails?

Seriously, I don't see any need for a first aid kit, unless you have special medical circumstances. All you need is duct tape. Rescue is always around the corner on the AT.

Hooch
05-15-2008, 11:23
HOOCH!! how could you!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/finger007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 11:25

Seriously, I don't see any need for a first aid kit, unless you have special medical circumstances. All you need is duct tape. Rescue is always around the corner on the AT.

Fingernails don't work too well for splinters, but you can dig them out with a needle. Honestly, I really use my tweezers mostly for nose and ear hair when in town.

You're right about rescue. I consider my first aid and repair kit to be for ongoing maintenance on the trail, not for serious problems, but for things that I don't need to get off the trail for--scratches, splinters, blisters, normal hiking pain, split pants, hole in the backpack, etc.

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 11:32

It's almost impossible to remove a small tick properly and get the head and all with just fingernails. Ditto on a splinter or embedded thorn. I wouldn't want to abandon my hiking itinerary for either for want of a pair of tweezers or depend upon being able to bum/borrow them from others more better prepared. It's not a rescue situation, but such things need to be treated ASAP.

As to rescue always being just around the corner, I think that largely depends upon where and what season you're hiking in provided you actually need to be rescued right on the trail and you didn't get lost and fall down a ravine or something. Sure, I'll agree, it's rare, but doo-doo occurs.

The last place I'd look to trim weight would be in an already small minimal first aid/emergency kit. In fact, I think I'd just take it out of the equation altogether to avoid the tempatation.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 12:08
Hooch's list looks good. I can't overemphasize the need to care properly for small wounds, especially lower extremity wounds (like a foot blister).

1) Get it clean with potable water, if it is dirty, wash it.

2) If it is dry, wet it(neosporin), if it is wet(like a rash), dry it.

3) leaving a wound open on a burn ward might work, the trail ain't a burn ward, keep a dressing on it, and check it often for anything more than just localized redness. If you see red streaks, you'd best get to a doc ASAP.

Bob S
05-15-2008, 13:19
Add a tube of super glue, if you were to ever get a big gash, super glue could be used to close it up. A doctor friend of mine that I target shoot with suggested this to me. It does work, I have tried it.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 13:43
Add a tube of super glue, if you were to ever get a big gash, super glue could be used to close it up. A doctor friend of mine that I target shoot with suggested this to me. It does work, I have tried it.

You'd be better off with the Dermabond because it is more viscous and easier to apply as a thicker coat and therefore stronger. If the laceration is in an area with a lot of skin tension only sutures will work anyway. You must approximate the skin edges and keep the superglue/dermabond OUT OF THE CUT ITSELF. If you don't it will complicate healing and you won't have to be told this a second time 'cause it'll light your fire.

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 14:00
I would argue that field-closure of a wound with superglue or Dermabond is ill-advised. If a wound on the trail is bad enough to require closure, it needs irrigation and you might need antibiotics or a tetanus booster or both. It might also require more than one layer of sutures. I have seen a localized infection on the hand go all the way above the elbow in less than three hours, going from something that could be treated with oral antibiotics to an overnight in the hospital for IV antibiotics. This sort of self-treatment without proper training and supplies is asking for trouble.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 15:00
I would argue that field-closure of a wound with superglue or Dermabond is ill-advised. If a wound on the trail is bad enough to require closure, it needs irrigation and you might need antibiotics or a tetanus booster or both. It might also require more than one layer of sutures. I have seen a localized infection on the hand go all the way above the elbow in less than three hours, going from something that could be treated with oral antibiotics to an overnight in the hospital for IV antibiotics. This sort of self-treatment without proper training and supplies is asking for trouble.

Tater, you are a veritable Greek chorus repeating "Thou shalt not treat thyself!". Just how complicated is it to read the directions on a dermabond container and use potable water from a platypus to irrigate a wound? To start with, if a wound is deep enough to need absorbable sutures, there is absolutely no way in hell Dermabond will hold it together more that twenty minutes, so it is a moot point.

If cellulitis can set in in less than 3hr (more like 2-3 in my experience) what antibiotic do you reccomend that everyone carry an use prophylactically post injury? I already know what I'd use, I want your opinion.

Bob S
05-15-2008, 15:13
I would not recommend glue if you can stop the blood flow and get to professional medical help. But if you were to fall of a ridge and were bleeding like crazy and had little hope of finding help soon the glue may help stop the blood loss.

As with all things, you should have some training in it’s use. It’s even more important to do so with medical issues.

I carry an antibiotic with me (and pain killers) and if I felt it was needed I would not hesitate to take it. But it’s up to all of us to do what we feel is needed in an emergency, I would not tell others they must have antibiotics or pain meds with them, carry what you feel you must.

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 15:17
Tater, you are a veritable Greek chorus repeating "Thou shalt not treat thyself!". Just how complicated is it to read the directions on a dermabond container and use potable water from a platypus to irrigate a wound? To start with, if a wound is deep enough to need absorbable sutures, there is absolutely no way in hell Dermabond will hold it together more that twenty minutes, so it is a moot point.

If cellulitis can set in in less than 3hr (more like 2-3 in my experience) what antibiotic do you reccomend that everyone carry an use prophylactically post injury? I already know what I'd use, I want your opinion.I recommend that you go to a licensed health care professional and get the proper treatment for wounds that require sutures or non-topical antibiotics.

Just wanted to add I only go to a physician when it hurts so bad I have to or I can't figure out what's wrong or I do figure it out and it's not going to eventually just go away.

I have a scar a little over a year old on my calf from where it was sliced by a piece of metal and I should have gone and had it sutured but didn't. It was just bad enough where they would have probably decided to suture it rather than slap a butterfly on it but not so bad I HAD to have it taken care of. It's 3/8 of an inch wide and probably 1 1/4 inches long. It probably would be almost invisible if it had been sutured. On the other hand, I didn't rinse it out with non-sterile water and then seal in the bacteria and create a little incubation chamber for microbes. I just kept it clean and let it heal. (This was at home where I take a shower once or twice a day.) I can also tell you what month and year I had my tetanus booster. Most people don't know.

Bob S
05-15-2008, 15:27
I recommend that you go to a licensed health care professional and get the proper treatment for wounds that require sutures or non-topical antibiotics.

I don’t think anyone is saying to not get medical help as soon as you can. But the idea of a first aid kit (key word there is “First Aid”) is to apply some medical help to a wound till you can get to professional help. In the wild it’s not always going to be an option to dial 911 and get to a hospital in 20-min. If and when you are hurt bad and unable to walk out, you do what you can to keep yourself alive and going to get medical help.

To say that you are not to apply any first aid to yourself for any reason is dangerous advice. It could be your only option at some point.

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 15:42
I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from doing first aid but I hardly think oral antibiotics are considered first aid. Applying compression is first aid, suturing or gluing a wound together is not.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 16:19
I don’t think anyone is saying to not get medical help as soon as you can. But the idea of a first aid kit (key word there is “First Aid”) is to apply some medical help to a wound till you can get to professional help. In the wild it’s not always going to be an option to dial 911 and get to a hospital in 20-min. If and when you are hurt bad and unable to walk out, you do what you can to keep yourself alive and going to get medical help.

To say that you are not to apply any first aid to yourself for any reason is dangerous advice. It could be your only option at some point.

Scenario; An AT hiker gets a killer blister on his/her heel climbing Tray Mtn in the rain. He resupplied at Neels Gap and intends Franklin NC as the next resupply. He stops north of Tray and realizes his heel is inflammed and his lower leg is starting to swell. The pain of walking on it is intense , enough to cause a gait change. The gait change favoring the injured foot results in a turned ankle on the other leg. The hiker started in poor physical condition with a capacity to walk no more than 8-10mpd uninjured. That has just been reduced by about 75% so the hiker decides to take it easy for a day. The next day the hiker/patient has red streaks running up his thigh with marked swelling. Of course Tatertot would say he should limp along and get "professional" care. I say he should swallow some Keflex, prescribed beforehand by his physician, NOW.

Stir Fry
05-15-2008, 16:22

I have 20 years as a medic in navy. Dermabond is for comfort on a minor cut, not a sever laseration. I do carry an at antibotics, for infection as a last resort, as sometimes its stveral days from help. I did not think the mention of Dermabond would set of such a fire storm.

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 16:42
Scenario; An AT hiker gets a killer blister on his/her heel climbing Tray Mtn in the rain. He resupplied at Neels Gap and intends Franklin NC as the next resupply. He stops north of Tray and realizes his heel is inflammed and his lower leg is starting to swell. The pain of walking on it is intense , enough to cause a gait change. The gait change favoring the injured foot results in a turned ankle on the other leg. The hiker started in poor physical condition with a capacity to walk no more than 8-10mpd uninjured. That has just been reduced by about 75% so the hiker decides to take it easy for a day. The next day the hiker/patient has red streaks running up his thigh with marked swelling. Of course Tatertot would say he should limp along and get "professional" care. I say he should swallow some Keflex, prescribed beforehand by his physician, NOW.No need to use belittling nick-names, we have been requested not to do so.

In the case you described, the patient was sent to the OR for forequarter amputation of the LLE immediately upon presenting to the ER but the necrotizing fasciitis had already spread and he died of sepsis two days later despite a forty minute code.

Had he gone to see someone about his inflamed heel and received proper treatment, he would be at his annual physical right now trying to convince a physician to write him a prescription for Keflex "just in case" and then posting messages about it on White Blaze. P.O. antibiotics are not considered first aid. :sun

rcli4
05-15-2008, 17:36
I don't think anyone has died on the AT from wounds since Jackson run the Indians out. In my first aid kit I carry rolaids and chap stick. Won't save your life from some imaginary life/death situation but they will make ya more comfortable.

Clyde

Stir Fry
05-15-2008, 17:57
Sorry I posted, did not meant to cause name calling.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2008, 18:06
You did not cause this - bad manners on the part of those calling names is the cause. As for lightening up your kit:
Q-Tips x6 - forget these
Extra Batteries for light x1 - also forget - they don't burn out all at once
Band-aids x6 - reduce to 2
Antiseptic ointment x4 - forget this - use alcohol gel instead.
Mole Skin 1 sheet - duct tape works in place of this
Patch kit & seam seal - again - duct tape.
200 lb. test Line 50 ft. - what is this for?
Scissors 1 small - use your knife
Medical tape ˝ role - use duct tape - not as pretty, but more functional
Derma Bond - I use superglue (and no fellows I don't care what you think about that)
Lighter, spare - Borrow if lighter goes out between towns
Mini roll duct tape - best thing in your pack

rcli4
05-15-2008, 18:29
Sorry I posted, did not meant to cause name calling.

I am working up my kit for a June 4th sobo start. I was glad you started it. I just wish you would have got some realistic responses, I could of used the help also.

Clyde

Skidsteer
05-15-2008, 18:48
How 'bout you medical types PM each other, come to a consensus and stop scaring the bejeebers out of the rest of us?

FWIW, I like Neosporin plus. And yes, I know better than to apply it longer than a week.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 19:27
Hooch's list looks good. I can't overemphasize the need to care properly for small wounds, especially lower extremity wounds (like a foot blister).

1) Get it clean with potable water, if it is dirty, wash it.

2) If it is dry, wet it(neosporin), if it is wet(like a rash), dry it.

3) leaving a wound open on a burn ward might work, the trail ain't a burn ward, keep a dressing on it, and check it often for anything more than just localized redness. If you see red streaks, you'd best get to a doc ASAP.

Yes, I'm quoting myself. What part of the last sentence do I need to explain Tater? Let me reiterate, if you have a cutaneous (skin) injury and you see one or more of the clinical signs of infection: swelling, redness, heat, fever, pain etc., you have a potentially life-threatening situation. You need evaluation by a physician and lab tests and antibiotics. If you are unable to get yourself there post-haste, starting an appropriate oral antibiotic selected and prescribed by your personal physician ahead of time MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. I never said just pop a pill or two and blow off seeing the doc.

This isn't my opinion, this is a recognized medical fact based on studies of penetrating trauma (a hole in your hide is a hole in your hide, blister or bullet, it don't matter) done by physicians with a whole lot more training and experience that anyone who posts here.

kayak karl
05-21-2008, 19:43
I like Neosporin plus.
not for me
Mercurochrome

My MOM painted us with it when kids:sun fixes everything, from skinned knees to compound fractures.

kayak karl
05-21-2008, 20:39
Q-Tips x6
Band-aids x6
Antiseptic ointment x4
Mole Skin 1 sheet
Patch kit & seam seal
200 lb. test Line 50 ft.
Scissors 1 small
Medical tape ˝ role
Derma Bond
Lighter, spare
Mini roll duct tape
Total 12oz.

My Kit (some hygiene is mixed in, same sack)

DuctTape
Emergency blanket
Deet
Portable Aqua (backup for Saywer gravity filter)
Compass
Can opener (GI type)
Dental floss, needle, single edge razor blade
50' of mason line
magnesium sparker (Xmas present, it lights my soda can stove)
ear plugs
mics pills (tums, ibuprofen, allergy etc)
tooth brush
baking soda
bandanas (3) Hygiene, dishes, nose blowing (hence the Foghorn avatar)
pocketlens from campmor (back up for reading glasses)
sulfur (jiggers)
some cotton balls with vasoline on them (chapstick, irritations and fire starter)
note pad, pencil
maps
Appalachian Pages
All this is in the bottom half of a plastic gallon milk container, works as a wash container for dishes or basic hygienne. holds 64 oz. and weighs 1 oz. (not my idea but cant remember where i read it:confused:)

need:

tweezers (idea from this thread)
safty pins (idea from this thread)

Sorry this looks confussing, but i just dumped it on the table and posted:)

If you are on the water or in the woods the most important thing you need at all times...................A CREDIT CARD :D

Bare Bear
05-22-2008, 06:28
Geez Tater, don't you know you can't argue Common Sense on this forum? What are you thinking?
You are just an RN with Trama experience and years of real experience.