PDA

View Full Version : GA, TN, NC - Complete!

10-K
05-15-2008, 10:10
Well, hard to believe that I first set foot on the AT this past December 21st and have now section hiked all of GA, TN, and NC.

Me and my son just got back from hiking Springer - Fontana Dam. We had a great time and enjoyed the entire trip (at least I did.. <g>). Lots of water, good campsites and nice people the whole way. It took us 4 minutes to get a ride into Hiawasee and less than 1 minute to get a ride into Franklin. There was a Gem show in Franklin and Ron Haven's place was full (as was the Microtel). We got the last available room at the Franklin Motel and hooked up with Ron's shuttle driver Dave who treated us real well.

It took us just a shade over 9 days... We hiked into Fontana Dam around 8:30 AM on the 10th day. We spent 2 days in Franklin - slackpacked from Wayah Bald back to Franklin the 2nd day.

Saw a few Whiteblazers - CaseyB from Damascus and a couple more I can't remember off hand.

Great trip!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-15-2008, 10:14
Congrats to you.

earlyriser26
05-15-2008, 10:19
Congrats, I too just finished GA (got my 80 miler patch) NC and TN. While I finished 3 weeks ago, I started in 1977 so you win. Good luck on the rest.:sun

max patch
05-15-2008, 10:32
Apply for your GA patch and certificate. It will mean a lot since you did it with your son.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/gathru.html

Rain Man
05-15-2008, 14:45
Congratulations. I can imagine how you feel. I should be done with those three states some time this summer. Started at Springer on July 31, 2003.

Planning to hike next week with my youngest daughter, picking up at Highway 19E, where my wife and I last left off, and hiking to Kincora. Her first over-nighter on the AT. She's done a day section hike with me and says she wants to backpack now.

After that, I'll have a short section to Damascus, VA and will be done with GA, NC, and TN myself. Let's both pat ourselves on the back!

Rain:sunMan

SteveJ
05-15-2008, 16:55
Apply for your GA patch and certificate. It will mean a lot since you did it with your son.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/gathru.html

thanks for the link, max patch! My son and I just did our last section of GA with the Boy Scout troop. I'd love to get his patch before the troop's court of honor next Monday, but don't guess that'll happen...will print and get in the mail tonight!

10-K
05-15-2008, 18:49
I agree - the patch is a great idea. We're going to get ours too. Thanks for the link.

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:08
Great, congratulations!!

Kerosene
05-16-2008, 12:05
Congrats 10-K. Only 1,800 miles and 12 states to go!

It's only taken me 35 years to complete 12 states and 1,600 miles...hopefully you can knock it out a bit faster than that!