PDA

View Full Version : First Time Here....

klpicktown
05-15-2008, 11:47
Hello all, this is my first post as I have recently decided---or dedicated myself--to hiking a portion of the AT next summer (a year from now).

All the information I am soaking in right now is a starting to be overwhelming so I need some focus I guess-----I need to decide on a portion of the the trail to hike. I have a about 3 weeks starting mid June (dates not that firm since I am a teacher). How is the trek from Harper's Ferry to DWG? It seems to fit my tentative time line....

I am defiantly not a full-fledged seasoned hiker but I've been around a bit, thus I am not looking to try the hardest section for 3 straight weeks... I'll be hangin around here for the next year so any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 11:58
Hello all, this is my first post as I have recently decided---or dedicated myself--to hiking a portion of the AT next summer (a year from now).

All the information I am soaking in right now is a starting to be overwhelming so I need some focus I guess-----I need to decide on a portion of the the trail to hike. I have a about 3 weeks starting mid June (dates not that firm since I am a teacher). How is the trek from Harper's Ferry to DWG? It seems to fit my tentative time line....

I am defiantly not a full-fledged seasoned hiker but I've been around a bit, thus I am not looking to try the hardest section for 3 straight weeks... I'll be hangin around here for the next year so any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks

My vote would be for a different section, perhaps Great Smoky Mountain National Park(GSMNP) and parts of NC/TN/VA, or northern MA/VT/NH toward the end of June early July. For an easier section Shenandoah National Park(SNP) is nice but with more human and road contact. Nothing wrong with the PA section(except the sharpened rocks), just not as nice as some others IMO.

And :welcome

Captain
05-15-2008, 12:30
welcome! nice to see soemoen else dealing with the retarted ohio weather

bigmac_in
05-15-2008, 12:44

First of all :welcome.

If you are planning to hike again, after the first hike, why don't you start at Springer and start walking North? If you decide to go back, start where you left off. Just a suggestion, but it's working for me. I only have a few days each year I can use to hike the AT right now, but I'm lopping off a small section at a time. At some point, I'll have more time and can take out bigger "chunks". Just a suggestion.

jersey joe
05-15-2008, 12:49
Harpers Ferry to the DWG is probably a good choice from a level terrain, easy to do mileage point of view. However, I would not advise this as the first section to do mostly because of the lack of views and abundance of rocks in this section. Starting at springer and hiking north isn't a bad idea. Neither is starting at Harpers Ferry and going SOUTH.

doggiebag
05-15-2008, 12:56
Harpers Ferry to the DWG is probably a good choice from a level terrain, easy to do mileage point of view. However, I would not advise this as the first section to do mostly because of the lack of views and abundance of rocks in this section. Starting at springer and hiking north isn't a bad idea. Neither is starting at Harpers Ferry and going SOUTH.
Heading South from Harpers Ferry would put him through some very rocky terrain through WV with only one set of views (Crescent Rock) ... the poor soul get's a break at Bears Den after 19 miles and then the dude has to go through another 10 miles of the roller coaster. It could make for a pretty rough introduction into long distance back-packing. My suggestion would be to do the Shenandoahs for his first long-distance hike. Plenty to see and he doesn't have to carry a heavy food bag.

jersey joe
05-15-2008, 13:20
Heading South from Harpers Ferry would put him through some very rocky terrain through WV with only one set of views (Crescent Rock) ... the poor soul get's a break at Bears Den after 19 miles and then the dude has to go through another 10 miles of the roller coaster. It could make for a pretty rough into into back-packing. My suggestion would be to do the Shenandoahs for his first long-distance hike. Plenty to see and he doesn't have to carry a heavy food bag.
The original post stated Harpers Ferry to DWG which is roughly 265 miles. Hiking this south from Harpers Ferry would bring you through the Shenandoahs and to Waynesboro or maybe even Troutville.

klpicktown
05-15-2008, 19:09
I've been to the smokies before and loved them .....so that is a definite possibility. Is there a particular starting and possible ending point we can formulate through that area. The wife will take me and pick me up so driving and parking is not a concern......please keep the ideas coming---this is a great site

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:12
Welcome to White Blaze.

I'd do half of VA. Starting at Damascus and go north. But will be hot and humid is all.

Wags
05-15-2008, 23:08
june will be starting to get pretty hot up in pa (our weather is pretty similar to yours). so i'd suggest you start more northerly than southernly at this time of the year. you can have teh best views in the world, but if you're sweating your ass off and getting destroyed by mosquitos and gnats, you won't enjoy it as much