PDA

View Full Version : Short overnight hikes on the AT in GA or NC

OwlsRevenge
05-15-2008, 12:12
There's no way I can get my wife to stay out 2 or 3 nights on the trail. She's just not that kinda girl. :)

However, I have talked her into taking one overnight ( haha, my plan begins!) somewhere on the AT in Georgia or NC. I'll be honest with you and tell you that I know there are books out there about this, but I'm very unemployed right now, and I thought I'd try for some free advice before spending $20 I don't really have. I'm lucky enough just to have the money for some trail food.

Anyhoot, if anyone wants to share, I'm looking for basically two things...

1. a nice, pretty camping spot that's about a 2 hour hike from the nearest road.
2. a section of trail without the pointless ups and downs, as neither of us is in the best shape.

TIA,

owl

Bulldawg
05-15-2008, 12:15
If you want a nice hike, that is short, most people do it in a day, but is not too mountainous, try Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap. You would climb Cowrock Mtn to a super camping spot. Might not take two hours but it could. Then the next morning you have a moderate 5 to 6 mile hike to Neels Gap. I am sure Winton Porter's staff would shuttle you back to your car at Hogpen.

Bulldawg
05-15-2008, 12:16
Oh yeah, there are no sections of the AT, not in Georgia anyway, without some up and downs. Hogpen to Unicoi is fairly flat except for a pretty good climb at the Unicoi end. But not being in shape I would not try that section for a 1.5 or 2 day hike. It is doable, by some in one day, but not by someone who is not accustomed to the North Georgia Mountains.

max patch
05-15-2008, 12:28
A few quickies on a flat section of trail:

How about parking at USFS 42 (0.9) N of Springer and hike north. You could camp near the Stover Creek Shelter (1.6 mi hike) at one of the tent sites. Or you could continue on to Three Forks (3.2 mi hike). If you're ambitious you can hike an additional 0.8 mi to Long Creek Falls (4.0 mi hike) and hope you get a spot by the falls. No guarantee, though.

Three Forks can also be driven to via FS 58. If you drive down FS 58 there are some really nice spots by the stream. You can camp there and do some day hikes.

Bulldawg
05-15-2008, 12:29
A few quickies on a flat section of trail:

How about parking at USFS 42 (0.9) N of Springer and hike north. You could camp near the Stover Creek Shelter (1.6 mi hike) at one of the tent sites. Or you could continue on to Three Forks (3.2 mi hike). If you're ambitious you can hike an additional 0.8 mi to Long Creek Falls (4.0 mi hike) and hope you get a spot by the falls. No guarantee, though.

Three Forks can also be driven to via FS 58. If you drive down FS 58 there are some really nice spots by the stream. You can camp there and do some day hikes.

All EXCELLANT suggestions!

bigmac_in
05-15-2008, 12:33
Bulldawg & Max Patch have made a couple great suggestions. I would go with the Hogpen Gap to Unicoi if it was me. Hiked through there last year and it was a fairly easy hike and very pretty. Just my opinion.

Bulldawg
05-15-2008, 12:36
Bulldawg & Max Patch have made a couple great suggestions. I would go with the Hogpen Gap to Unicoi if it was me. Hiked through there last year and it was a fairly easy hike and very pretty. Just my opinion.

There are a few more views there than the hike Max suggested. Not knocking that hike though. Those bottoms with the water are beautiful as well. It just depends what impresses her most. If mountain views are what would draw her closer to hiking, then Hogpen to Unicoi or Neels is great. If she is more into waterfalls, etc. then FS42 to FS58 or further is what you need. Shuttling would be easier for you on the mountain view trails though. If you need shuttling that is. Maybe an in and out would work for you.

Gray Blazer
05-15-2008, 12:45
Park at Tellico Gap (Kinda near Wesser or Franklin, NC) and walk 3 miles South up hill to a pretty camping site on Rocky Bald 5000 ft with good views. The trail levels out for a bit beyond there if you want to explore further and travels along and slabs Copper Ridge Bald and then on down to Burningtown Gap/Road. The next morning you can hike down to your car and then go North up to Wesser Bald Tower and get IMO one of the best views from the AT. You can get sunset/sunrise pics from tower.

max patch
05-15-2008, 14:29
One thing which you may or may not want to consider; if your wife is hesitant about camping out you may want to make sure you camp at a location that has a privy. One less thing she'd have to get used to early on.

sofaking
05-15-2008, 14:34
One thing which you may or may not want to consider; if your wife is hesitant about camping out you may want to make sure you camp at a location that has a privy. One less thing she'd have to get used to early on.
a privy is probably a disgusting experience for someone not used to sh1tting in the woods...

OwlsRevenge
05-15-2008, 16:26
Actually, she goes camping with me....just not backpacking.

Now, some of you guys may think I'm nuts or whatever - but I couldn't ever see myself hiking to Three Forks. Ya see, I've been fishing the creeks there for years, and if I can drive there I'd feel pretty goofy crossing the FS road on foot! :) We've also done a day hike to the falls on Long Creek....they are underrated in my book, but that's alright because that's one less falls crowded with 50 people a day in the summer.

So, I was hoping someone had suggestions like the other posters on places I haven't been yet( not that you knew that - sorry, that was my bad, I should have been more detailed about that particular area)

I'll look into the other spots on my topo software. Oh, and also - I didn't mean it couldn't have any ups and downs...just moderate ones would better than the hill-climbs I've been on in Shining Rock. :)

Thanks again! If anyone has any other suggestions, let 'em fly!

Oh, and we both would rather go in the woods than use a privy or anything similar - port-a-poty, etc.

ick. :)

Rambler
05-15-2008, 16:58
Hogpen Gap to Unicoi is about 13.5 miles. The final mile is all down hill from Blue Mt. and a nice section. Low Gap Shelter is 4.2 from Hogpen Gap. Blue Mt. Shelter has a beautiful view and is just under 7 miles from Low Gap. There is also a campsite about a mile before the Mt. Blue Shelter. It is about a level a section as you will find along the AT in GA. Mt. Blue is 4000', Unicoi Gap is 3000" and they are about a mile apart, so do not start at Unicoi Gap! Hike north from Hogpen!

Egads
05-15-2008, 17:24
This is the easiest section in GA and it has a nice payoff view

Hogpen to Unicoi is fairly flat except for a pretty good climb at the Unicoi end. But not being in shape I would not try that section for a 1.5 or 2 day hike. It is doable, by some in one day, but not by someone who is not accustomed to the North Georgia Mountains.

CBSSTony
05-15-2008, 17:45
Does it have to be on the AT?

Skidsteer
05-15-2008, 18:27
Park at Deep Gap, hike about 2 1/2 miles to the top of Standing Indian.

Easy hike, good tentsites, water, fantastic views

It's the Southernmost mile-high mountain on the A.T.

bloodmountainman
05-15-2008, 18:31
I recommend a couple of loop trails. Park at Bryron Reece trailhead just North of Neels Gap. The trail begins in parking area and leads into the AT at Flatrock Gap. Take the Freeman Trail (signpost there) and go around the backside of Blood Mt. and camp in Bird Gap. The Freeman picks back up with the AT here. Up am
nd over Blood and back to parking area. This is about 5 miles roundtrip.
The other is more ambitous. The Coosa Backcountry Trail beginning and ending in Vogel State Park It's 13 miles of a lot of uphill walking for a long time!

OwlsRevenge
05-16-2008, 11:54
No, it doesn't have to be on the AT......but I've done some hiking in Shining Rock, and something a little easier than those trails would be in order. Also, we could hike in the GSMNP. I was just thinking maybe someone would know of an interesting spot to camp.....she seems happier that we went somewhere to actually see something, than just "walking in the woods." :)

thanks for all the replies again. i appreciate it.

Lil'Joe
05-16-2008, 18:56
Owl,

The Freeman Trail/AT loop at Blood Mtn. is nice. You could hike Freeman, pick up the AT north and find a tent spot on top of Blood. Great views up there. Then, the steep side (going north) is all down hill back to the car.

But what do I know, I never get out anymore. :(

Joe

OwlsRevenge
05-17-2008, 11:23
Didn't you say you found out about the steep part the hard way? :) Hey, since you've been there, we should go back together....all 4 err....5 of us..wait...6 of us. :)
haha.

Lil'Joe
05-17-2008, 23:29
Yeah, we could do that!

thestin
05-17-2008, 23:42
A realy nice hike is from the Standing Inadian Campground up the Kimsey Creek Trail. There's a beautiful meadow about an hour's hike in. If your wife is still feeling good you could go up to Deep Gap and pick up the AT.

Doughnut
05-18-2008, 08:13
Last year, I intrduced my son to the trail and mountains by parking at Hogpen and hiking to Whitney gap shelter, spent the night there and hiked back to the car. The shelter is far enough off the trail to insure privacy, it has nice views, and a good water source, and there are Plenty of great tentsites about 75 yards in front of the shelter. You will probably have the area allto your self, or camp on the high ground, incredible Ga views.
After that he was fired up so we drove to Neel's gap and climbed Blood Mtn. He got a new perspective for the trail and I earned some respect from him and for him too. He even stated that he thought it was overrated and he wasn't impressed, UNTIL I took him out on it.

DoughNut

e-doc
05-18-2008, 20:08
In the Southern Nantahala Wilderness on AT Deep Gap to Muskrat Cr shelter or Mooney Gap to Carter Gap shelter. Big Snowbird Creek. AT at Stecoah Gap out to Cheoah or Yellow Cr Gap. I'd go to SNW.

Thru Hiker Wife
05-18-2008, 20:16
Since you mentioned it doesn't have to be AT, let me add Jacks River Trail (to the falls out of GA) or Beechbottom Trail (to the falls out of TN). I am NOT a hiker and went with my husband and did 3-4 miles of the Jacks River Trail Saturday, camped at a beautiful campsite and walked out this morn. I think all the way to the falls is 8-9 miles but there are plenty of campsites starting at about 1 1/2 miles in. I will mention though that 2 miles in was the first crossing of the Jacks (cold and a little slick but fun). The second crossing is another mile of so later (more treacherous, still cold but fun once you've made it across). My hubby says that the second is the worst of all crossings. I personally cannot comment cause we didn't make it far enough to cross again. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike!!!! Beechbottom we have not done but heads to the falls out of TN. I think it's 6 or so miles to the falls and no river crossings.

Bulldawg
05-18-2008, 20:16

My wife would rather use it out behind a tree than a privy, my daughter as well. They both refuse the privy.

Bulldawg
05-18-2008, 20:17
Park at Deep Gap, hike about 2 1/2 miles to the top of Standing Indian.

Easy hike, good tentsites, water, fantastic views

It's the Southernmost mile-high mountain on the A.T.

Doing it this coming Saturday. Deep Gap to Standing Indian, cook supper, down in the twilight. Going to catch sunset on top. Supposedly an awesome hike.

orangebug
05-19-2008, 08:09
The light goes quickly after the sunsets on Standing Indian if you are going back to the car.

As far as hiking suggestions. I like the Cohutta wilderness and Jack's river with nice waterfall. If you want to go south, consider Pine Mountain. 26 miles of essentially mild ridge walking. Waterfalls on the eastern end. FDR's old BBQ pit near the middle. It just south of Calloway Gardens, heading east toward Warm Springs.

Bare Bear
05-19-2008, 08:39
I f your wife has never been a hiker or on the AT then at least give her a reason to continue. Go to FS42 and hike South, up to that first Blaze and get her to sign in; photo op; etc. Then Back north to where ever you get that is nice to camp at (there are spots nearly every 1/4 mile and lots of water sources along there). I like the waterfall area which I believe would give you about four-five miles total for the day. Then back to the car the next day.
THEN next time, get her into the "continue the Trail" mode by going from FS42 lot to the Shelter or wherever gets her a litle further North. Non-hikers I have done this type hikes with come to realize they are walking over a lot of the same ground numerous times and ASK YOU a better way which is when you get them to go for a short section hike, again keep it short and fun; just five miles each day so they are not dead when they finish.

Nearly Normal
05-19-2008, 10:24
There's no way I can get my wife to stay out 2 or 3 nights on the trail. She's just not that kinda girl. :)

However, I have talked her into taking one overnight ( haha, my plan begins!) somewhere on the AT in Georgia or NC. I'll be honest with you and tell you that I know there are books out there about this, but I'm very unemployed right now, and I thought I'd try for some free advice before spending $20 I don't really have. I'm lucky enough just to have the money for some trail food.

Anyhoot, if anyone wants to share, I'm looking for basically two things...

1. a nice, pretty camping spot that's about a 2 hour hike from the nearest road.
2. a section of trail without the pointless ups and downs, as neither of us is in the best shape.

TIA,

owl

I see you are not confined to the AT.
The easiest, most scenic section of trial I know is on the Foothills Trail. Start at Burrell's Ford and hike up river. The trail closely skirts the Chattooga River. You can park right by the trail entrance, hike in 4 miles to Ellicott's Rock (GA,NC,SC tri-corner in the middle of the river). The river and gorge provides enough scenic sight and sound to keep everyone well entertained and wanting to see more. A great place to break in a newby hiker for smiling memories. Great camping spots all along the river the whole way. Weekdays are best if you want solitude. No shelters or privies.
PM if you want details.
Oconee State Park is about ten miles away for showers and cleanup. afterward.

OwlsRevenge
05-19-2008, 10:35
Thanks all. That's alot of choices! I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Bulldawg
05-19-2008, 22:24
I see you are not confined to the AT.
The easiest, most scenic section of trial I know is on the Foothills Trail. Start at Burrell's Ford and hike up river. The trail closely skirts the Chattooga River. You can park right by the trail entrance, hike in 4 miles to Ellicott's Rock (GA,NC,SC tri-corner in the middle of the river). The river and gorge provides enough scenic sight and sound to keep everyone well entertained and wanting to see more. A great place to break in a newby hiker for smiling memories. Great camping spots all along the river the whole way. Weekdays are best if you want solitude. No shelters or privies.
PM if you want details.
Oconee State Park is about ten miles away for showers and cleanup. afterward.

I've been strongly considering that hike for my son's first overnight. Is there a decent camping spot near or shortly south of Ellicott Rock?

Nearly Normal
05-20-2008, 09:28
Yes, plenty of spots both large and small.

PM me and I'll give you better details.

jesse
05-20-2008, 12:17
I will second thru hiker wife's suggestion. Anywhere in the Cohutta Wilderness is good. Not very crowded. I have hiked several trails that lead to the Conasauga River. Just be warned the trails going to the Conasauga River are fairly steep. Maybe my favorite trail in GA is the Panther Creek Falls Trail, in the Cohutta. You park at Three Forks Trail head, take the East Cowpen Trail until it intersects the Panther Creek Trail. It is a pretty steep hike down to Panther Creek. You follow the Creek until you arrive at the top of the falls. About a 5 mile hike one way. The climb out on the Panther Creek trail is pretty steep, but worth it.