PDA

View Full Version : Ledgendary AT eatery FOR SALE

Jeff
05-15-2008, 17:38
Second most famous restaurant in Vermont (after Inn at Long Trail) for sale. Hope it remains open!!!!

http://www.vermontel.net/~nandrus/vermont%20businesses.htm

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 17:48
I hope it stays open, too. Definitely one of the memorable restaurants along the trail.

wilconow
05-15-2008, 17:50
Yeah, it was a great stop last summer. Friendly staff, comfortable place

Quoddy
05-15-2008, 18:10
Last year I hiked to the steep climb soon afterward still eating a giant piece of strawberry shortcake. Ahhh... the memories.

RITBlake
05-15-2008, 18:29
"Peat Moss extraction and bagging operation." ??

Cookerhiker
05-15-2008, 19:09
I stopped there on the SOBO portion of my LT hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204988) last year. It was late morning still quite cool and the girls behind the counter told me it was too cold for ice cream. "Oh no, it's never too cold for ice cream."

I hope the new owners continue to operate it.

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:13
We missed out on it (got there too early or something) but heard it was super.

ki0eh
05-15-2008, 21:17

I think the key to them wanting to sell that is the diesel equipment that goes with it. My in-laws' sawmill is letting pine wood sit in the yard rather than pay to run the diesel generator to saw it.

I also think only in New England would a real estate agent be named "W. Otis Andrus." ;)

BackTrack1
07-12-2008, 20:14
thats a bummer, i was planning on stopping there in a few weeks when i hike the trail again,
planning around aug 1st, maybe it will be open again by then.

Blue Jay
07-13-2008, 09:13
Although I am a member and a big fan of the ATC, by passing the Inn was one of the worst decisions they ever made.:(

Lone Wolf
07-13-2008, 09:17
thats a bummer, i was planning on stopping there in a few weeks when i hike the trail again,
planning around aug 1st, maybe it will be open again by then.

make a side trip into Wallingford, Vt. and eat at Sal's Pizza restaurant. Awesome food. Much better that the Whistle Stop.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-13-2008, 10:02

Heck yeah, tastes just like ramen

NICKTHEGREEK
07-13-2008, 10:04
I think the key to them wanting to sell that is the diesel equipment that goes with it. My in-laws' sawmill is letting pine wood sit in the yard rather than pay to run the diesel generator to saw it.

I also think only in New England would a real estate agent be named "W. Otis Andrus." ;)
Makes you wonder what the W stands for. (This comment is entirely non-political)

lunchbx
07-13-2008, 10:37
anybody got an extra 165 grand lying around that they can let me borow for a few years!

NorthCountryWoods
07-13-2008, 11:17
anybody got an extra 165 grand lying around that they can let me borow for a few years!

Prolly not a wise idea....restaurants are closing left and right up here lately.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2008, 11:19
Although I am a member and a big fan of the ATC, by passing the Inn was one of the worst decisions they ever made.:(

I agree (and have reiterated several times that hikers would enjoy taking the now-blue blazed trail; the original AT) but was the decision by the ATC or GMC?

wilconow
07-13-2008, 11:22
I agree (and have reiterated several times that hikers would enjoy taking the now-blue blazed trail; the original AT) but was the decision by the ATC or GMC?

Are you saying that solely on the basis that it's a shorter hike to the Inn? Unless I'm missing something, it wasn't scenic or interesting at all. Other than a few powerline crossings I don't remember much. The Pico camp looked very old

I guess the trail I took up to Maine Junction is different

Is the current whiteblaze difficult or something?

Cookerhiker
07-13-2008, 11:37

Are you saying that solely on the basis that it's a shorter hike to the Inn? Unless I'm missing something, it wasn't scenic or interesting at all. Other than a few powerline crossings I don't remember much. The Pico camp looked very old

Dunno about the relative difficulty. There's very little difference in the length. I liked coming out in the open, seeing the Sherbourne Pass and the LT Inn ahead, and crossing the road right at the apex. I didn't find the ski area instrusive, certainly less so than other ski areas in VT e.g. Jay Peak.

I stayed at Pico Camp on my first LT hike in '78 - the black flies were terrible.

angewrite
07-13-2008, 13:28

I guess the trail I took up to Maine Junction is different

The original AT brought you out right at the Inn at the Long Trail, the current trail is just down the road a bit (busy road- be careful of traffic). I think Blue Jay was referring to the fact that it's easy to bypass the Inn if you don't have to walk right by it, so hikers miss out on a great experience and the Inn misses out on the business.

warren doyle
07-13-2008, 17:35
Legendary AT eatery??

Summit
07-13-2008, 21:20
Prolly not a wise idea....restaurants are closing left and right up here lately.Why so? Gas prices?

Lone Wolf
07-13-2008, 22:05
Why so? Gas prices?

no. burgers and fries are so.... plain

NorthCountryWoods
07-14-2008, 07:21
Why so? Gas prices?

Economy in general....eating out is the first thing people cut out when money is tight.

There are alotta empty store fronts and closed restaurants even in the normally busy places (Church Street, Middlebury, Stowe, Montpeculier) can't imagine business would be good off the beaten path. Speaking with a few craft vendor friends at Antiques and Uniques in Craftsbury this weekend and they all say tourism is slower than usual and the folks that are here aren't spending any money.

celt
07-14-2008, 08:41
I hope the Whistle Stop Cafe survives. I have many fond memories eating their including my 35th birthday breakfast.

As for the Inn at Long Trail, I prefer the new route of the A.T. / L.T. for hiking but I still never miss the Inn despite an additional 0.8 miles of trail and 1 mile of road required to get there versus the Sherburne Pass trail. A search of "The Inn" on trailjournals produced 26,000 hits so by old trail or new trail hikers still love it.