PDA

View Full Version : Permits

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 18:34
Are there any permits/licenses needed (fishing or camping) that you have to get beforehand?

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 19:27
Most states require fishing licenses. Any camping permits you need as a thru-hiker don't have to be arranged ahead of time. If you are doing a section hike, be more specific and someone can give a more specific answer.

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:33
For thru hiking, you need permits in the SMokies and Shenandoah to backcountry camp. But as Tater says you can get them when you arrive, before you enter either park. The Smokies have different rules though if you are sectioning (you will need to reserve shelter space ahead of time).

CrumbSnatcher
05-15-2008, 20:26
For thru hiking, you need permits in the SMokies and Shenandoah to backcountry camp. But as Tater says you can get them when you arrive, before you enter either park. The Smokies have different rules though if you are sectioning (you will need to reserve shelter space ahead of time).
the permits blissful is talking about are free.if that wasn't mentioned... also nobos - northbound thruhikers have no problems in baxter state park.(maine)but i believe southbounders or sobos need to reserve space in the park ahead of times. because offically they are not thruhikers yet? i could be wrong, again! SPELLING B CHAMPION RUNNER UP, THIRD YEAR OF THIRD GRADE.

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 20:27
I was talking about a thru-hike.

Thanks!

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 21:17
the permits blissful is talking about are free.if that wasn't mentioned... also nobos - northbound thruhikers have no problems in baxter state park.(maine)but i believe southbounders or sobos need to reserve space in the park ahead of times. because offically they are not thruhikers yet? i could be wrong, again! SPELLING B CHAMPION RUNNER UP, THIRD YEAR OF THIRD GRADE.

Does anyone else know if this is true?

CrumbSnatcher: how would you go about reserving space ahead of time>?

Appalachian Tater
05-15-2008, 21:25
Here is the page for thru-hikers on the Baxter State Park website:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

Your other questions can be answered through the table of contents on the left of that page.

I do not think it is as hard to get reservations outside of holiday weekends as that page makes it sounds. The price of gas has reduced the number of visitors.

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 21:48
Here is the page for thru-hikers on the Baxter State Park website:

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

Your other questions can be answered through the table of contents on the left of that page.

I do not think it is as hard to get reservations outside of holiday weekends as that page makes it sounds. The price of gas has reduced the number of visitors.

Thanks a bucnh!

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 21:49
Thanks a bucnh!

Oops. Supposed to be a "bunch."

Red Hat
05-23-2008, 12:23
I have reservations at Katahdin Stream if you want to share my campsite and split the costs.