PDA

View Full Version : Pay phones

TRIP08
05-15-2008, 18:37
How frequently do hikers have access to pay phones? just when you go into town, or are there any stations along the way?

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 18:52
What do you mean by stations? There are no phone booths on the AT, except perhaps where it passes through towns or other places(dams, stores, campgrounds, etc) that may have a pay phone. Pay phones are getting removed almost everywhere. Many people will let you use their cell for a short call during free calling times(evenings and weekends). But there are many areas without cell service. Best bet if you think you might want to make calls from the trail and don't have a cell plan would be to get a "throw away" pre-paid phone like Tracphone or something.

Johnny Swank
05-15-2008, 19:02
What he said. On one hand, it's a shame that easy access to public telephones is shrinking, I have to say that I got really, really sick of hunting down a phone and standing in the rain just to leave a message. We took our cell phones when we paddled the Mississippi, and I got spoiled making phones calls whenever we got to a town without having to go through all that mess.

A cheap Tracphone and a calling card are the way to fly I think. A really cheap cell plan with data would be nice just for sending a text msg to a bunch of people saying you made it to town as well.

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:09
Pay phones are getting few and far between it seems. Better to carry a cell phone anyway, IMO.

Bare Bear
05-29-2008, 22:30
Cell phone is best. I always asked others permission if at a shelter and usually five people would pull them out and call too. It is usually easier to get reception on the last tall hill before the shelters (they are usually down hill to be nearer to water sources, out of wind, etc.) so call then before you get to camp.

rafe
05-29-2008, 22:37
It is usually easier to get reception on the last tall hill before the shelters (they are usually down hill to be nearer to water sources, out of wind, etc.) so call then before you get to camp.

That's good advice, right there, Bare Bear.

Appalachian Tater
06-05-2008, 13:44
I always asked others permission if at a shelter and usually five people would pull them out and call too.Hey, Bare Bear.

As a former smoker I know that if you have to ask permission to do something like that, you know it is an imposition and it wouldn't hurt to just walk away from the shelter and speak softly so as not to disturb anyone. If the weather were nasty, it would be different.