PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking Virginia

10-K
05-15-2008, 19:05
I've now hiked all of the AT that is "easy" for me to hike logistically.

To continue, I next need to hike starting from Damascus and I know pretty much nothing about what's available north of Damascus. What I need is a good 70-120 mile section in Virginia that either begins or ends in Damascus, a shuttle, and a place to leave my car for up to a week. It needs to be a section that will be easy to connect to on my next hike too.

I'd like to put something together for July - probably around the 18th.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the Southwestern Virginia Maps from the ATC today.

Blissful
05-15-2008, 19:15
Check with Lone Wolf on all that - once Trail Days is over.

Cookerhiker
05-15-2008, 19:23
I'd recommend you hike to Atkins/Groseclose where the Trail crosses I-81. It's about 75 miles. Highlights include Mt. Rogers, Grayson Highlands, Holston River. Some parts are easy where you'll make good time. Logistically, it makes sense because once you cross I-81, the roads aren't as conducive to shuttling. Plus for your next hike, you can hike 88 miles Atkins-to-Pearisburg, another logical stopping point.

And yes, Lone Wolf is your best resource and will shuttle you.

10-K
05-15-2008, 19:55
I'd recommend you hike to Atkins/Groseclose where the Trail crosses I-81. It's about 75 miles. Highlights include Mt. Rogers, Grayson Highlands, Holston River. Some parts are easy where you'll make good time. Logistically, it makes sense because once you cross I-81, the roads aren't as conducive to shuttling. Plus for your next hike, you can hike 88 miles Atkins-to-Pearisburg, another logical stopping point.

And yes, Lone Wolf is your best resource and will shuttle you.

Great info, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Kerosene
05-17-2008, 03:46
I concur...the 75-mile walk from Atkins south to Damascus is a lovely section, especially if you can arrange for good weather over Mt. Rogers. I coordinated with Lone Wolf to arrange parking for my car and a shuttle up to the trail crossing at Atkins/Groseclose. Fortunately I had great weather and finished the morning of my 4th day out, staying at or near Trimpi Shelter, Wise Shelter, and Saunders Shelter.

10-K
05-17-2008, 06:36
How about shuttles between Atkins and Pearisburg? I'm hoping details like these are as easy to take care of as they are further south.

It's just a matter of me being unfamiliar with what's available north of Damascus.

Skyline
05-17-2008, 08:23
If you get the ATC Shuttle List, you'll see who is offering shuttles in that area.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org

Click on "Hike The Trail" and follow the link to the Shuttle List. It's a PDF file.

Cookerhiker
05-17-2008, 09:32
How about shuttles between Atkins and Pearisburg? I'm hoping details like these are as easy to take care of as they are further south.

It's just a matter of me being unfamiliar with what's available north of Damascus.

I obtained a Pearisburg-to-Atkins shuttle from the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg in the dead of winter (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89307) no less. Brenda the owner is very hiker-friendly. They're listed in the Companion. (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/va07.pdf)

Kerosene
05-17-2008, 15:15
Sorry, but I cannot give a positive reference to the Rendezvous Motel or their shuttle service due to several issues during my hike through that section.

Almost There
05-18-2008, 02:01
Brenda is fine and bends over backwards to help hikers, in fact, we discussed the fact that she needs to be more assertive in telling hikers "No" when they're being turds. When you get close to Daleville, Del is a great shuttler in the area, many hotels have his cards in them. Feel free to PM as I have now sectioned all of Virginia with the exception of Partnership shelter to Pearisburg and Waynesboro north.

Skyline
05-18-2008, 10:07
When you hike north of Waynesboro, check out www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com). Going to Harpers Ferry and even farther north by request.

Alligator
05-18-2008, 12:40
I can't imagine Kerosene being a "turd", I've never known him to give anything but fair advice. It's a bit of a conundrum getting postives and negatives from Cookerhiker and Kerosene respectively, I'd trust either's advice quite strongly.

Del is a good shuttler although he has some harmless quirks. He takes the angel thing a little too far IMO.

Almost There
05-18-2008, 20:29
I can't imagine Kerosene being a "turd", I've never known him to give anything but fair advice. It's a bit of a conundrum getting postives and negatives from Cookerhiker and Kerosene respectively, I'd trust either's advice quite strongly.

Del is a good shuttler although he has some harmless quirks. He takes the angel thing a little too far IMO.

I wasn't referring to Kerosene but rather to other hikers she has dealt with in the past...sometimes this alters providers behaviors.

As for Del....well there are many providers and hikers for that matter that exhibit "quirks".

Alligator
05-18-2008, 23:48
I wasn't referring to Kerosene but rather to other hikers she has dealt with in the past...sometimes this alters providers behaviors.

As for Del....well there are many providers and hikers for that matter that exhibit "quirks".I never said you were referring to Kerosene. I was pointing out for non-regulars that he surely isn't one of the people you were discussing. There's easily the potential for confusion there, given that your post immediately followed his and contradicted his non-positive reference.

Back to the OP's question, how do you plan on sectioning the state timewise? Do you always have the same amount of time to hike or does it vary? One suggestion I always give is to purchase the Gazetteer for VA. You can get a good idea as to how easy an access point is by using it. It's a good purchase, VA is a large chunk of the AT. (I think a little under 550 miles.)

Besides the SW VA maps (1-5) which end at Waynesboro, you'll need the SNP maps and the No. VA maps. These total about 150 miles or so.

10-K
05-21-2008, 16:14
Back to the OP's question, how do you plan on sectioning the state timewise? Do you always have the same amount of time to hike or does it vary? One suggestion I always give is to purchase the Gazetteer for VA. You can get a good idea as to how easy an access point is by using it. It's a good purchase, VA is a large chunk of the AT. (I think a little under 550 miles.)

Besides the SW VA maps (1-5) which end at Waynesboro, you'll need the SNP maps and the No. VA maps. These total about 150 miles or so.

Well, my original intent was to do Springer to Fontana Dam and take the summer off but I'm on a roll and think I can wrangle 4-5 days in a row off in June, July and August so I'm looking at doing ~75 miles each time.

I'm trying to arrange a shuttle between Damascus and Atkins/US11 for June, then July will be from Atkins to Pearisberg and August will be from Pearisberg northwards to the next logical stopping point north of there.

Right now I'm focused on the Damascus section. I've PM'ed Lone Wolf and sent an inquiry to Mt. Rogers - hopefully one or the other will work out.

Cookerhiker
05-21-2008, 16:21
.....and August will be from Pearisberg northwards to the next logical stopping point north of there.....

It's 92 miles from Pearisburg to Daleville where the Trail crosses I-81 again so I'd say that's your next logical stopping point. I'm the Companion field editor for that stretch this year so I'm hiking it in June. That stretch includes McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, the Keffer Oak, some rocky footing, ridge climbs followed by ridge walks of a few miles i.e. not immediately up and down again.

10-K
05-21-2008, 16:26
It's 92 miles from Pearisburg to Daleville where the Trail crosses I-81 again so I'd say that's your next logical stopping point. I'm the Companion field editor for that stretch this year so I'm hiking it in June. That stretch includes McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, the Keffer Oak, some rocky footing, ridge climbs followed by ridge walks of a few miles i.e. not immediately up and down again.

How far from Daleville to SNP?

I got the SW VA maps from the ATC and if I'm not mistaken they go to the southern boundry of SNP but I need to double check to be sure. The ATC description of the SW VA maps say they cover the 163 miles between Damascus and Pearisburg but they actually cover an additional 60-70 miles.

Cookerhiker
05-21-2008, 16:33

I got the SW VA maps from the ATC and if I'm not mistaken they go to the southern boundry of SNP but I need to double check to be sure. The ATC description of the SW VA maps say they cover the 163 miles between Damascus and Pearisburg but they actually cover an additional 60-70 miles.

133 miles from Daleville to Rockfish Gap. Have you looked at the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)? This on-line version is last year's but it's adequate for your planning.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 16:36

I got the SW VA maps from the ATC and if I'm not mistaken they go to the southern boundry of SNP but I need to double check to be sure. The ATC description of the SW VA maps say they cover the 163 miles between Damascus and Pearisburg but they actually cover an additional 60-70 miles.The SW map set has maps 1-3. The Central VA set has maps 3-5. Maps 1-5 are designed similarly, and map 5 ends up at SNP. You end up buying Map 3 twice if you buy the sets. Then there's the SNP set (3 maps) and the No VA/MD (2 VA maps I believe + 1 other)

10-K
05-22-2008, 16:44
Got me a shuttle lined up with LW and am hiking Atkins-Damascus June 18th.

July I'll do Atkins to Pearisburg and August if all goes well I'll do Pearisburg to the southern border of SNP.

So much for taking the summer off, I'd rather hike. ;)