PDA

View Full Version : Meeting "Characters" on the trail

Brushy Sage
02-09-2004, 10:36
We think of hikers as people who have a destination in mind, or at least motivation to move on. Occasionally we meet people who seem to just appear, and are not in the hiking mainstream. I remember meeting a frail-looking young man who was wrapped in a ragged poncho and was carrying a large roll of plastic. When I said good morning to him, he responded by asking me if I knew Jesus. I'm wondering how many other WhiteBlaze members have met someone "different" on the trail.

Mausalot
02-09-2004, 11:03
Some of my favorites were 'Malice and Kentucy' brothers who smoked dope all, and I mean ALL day long. They were section hiking and Kentucky was getting tattoos to mark each state. In fact Malice says something like "Meeting characters, that's what the whole AT is all about" He KNEW he was a character.

Also, when we were doing our documentary, we heard about Art the Pilot who was the co-pilot whose plane skidded off the runway. Passanger: Sandra Bullock. There was also Michael, with an 80lb pack with all sorts of musical gear. We never found either of them, though we tried.

:dance Cameraman, 2000 Miles to Maine

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 11:07
I could write a book just on the "characters" I've met in 16,000 + miles of hiking on the AT. Maybe I will.

Brushy Sage
02-09-2004, 12:08
Did any of you oldtimers meet "the Queen of England," who appeared on the trail for several years?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 12:11
Yup. Several times at Fullhardt Knob shelter. Wonderful lady. :)

weary
02-09-2004, 12:33
Did any of you oldtimers meet "the Queen of England," who appeared on the trail for several years?

Yup. I lent her a safety pin in 1993 to seal a hole in her tent after she was startled by a rattlesnake sunning itself at the entrance of the privy. She brewed me a cup of tea.

She explained she lived on the trail to escape harassment from the CIA, which struck me as a perfectly good reason for hiking.

Weary

jersey joe
02-09-2004, 12:52
This is less of a someONE than a someTHING, but a couple miles outside Pearisburg I looked up and saw a goat standing right on the the trail in front of me...seemed a bit out of place to me. I would expect a deer, maybe a bear, but a goat?!? Anyway, it just stood there and looked at me, i had to hike around it(it had horns so I didn't take any chances).

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 12:59
A couple years back there were 3 goats up on Sinking Creek Mtn. that would lick your sweaty legs for the salt.

Brushy Sage
02-09-2004, 13:23
In 2002 there was a hiker who signed as "Malice in Wonderland," and I understand he was removed by the authorities after some illegal behavior.

gravityman
02-09-2004, 13:42
A couple years back there were 3 goats up on Sinking Creek Mtn. that would lick your sweaty legs for the salt.

Not sure where that is, but in 2001 there were some goats shortly before Catabwa that would do the same. One person put down their hiking pole, and the goat tried to run away with it (all the yummy salt in the wrist strap).

Gravity Man

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 13:46
Probably the same goats. Sinking Creek Mtn is about 25 miles before Catawba.

papa john
02-09-2004, 14:09
There was a guy who was hiking in 2000 that did not have use of one of his arms. Can't remember which, doesn't really matter, but the first time I met this guy I disliked him right off. He was a know-it-all and had-done-it-all. I spent a few hours at Muskrat Creek Shelter with him while we were taking a lunch break and once I got to know him a little better I could tolerate him a lot more. Seeing what he had to go through trying to do even the most trivial of tasks (like tying your boots) with one hand was sobering.

Wish I could remember his trail name. Turned out to be an OK guy once you got past all the BS.

someday
02-09-2004, 14:16
In 2000 I met Walking Wounded at Walasi-Yi. We watched her dog while she took a shower. She was an older lady and said her kids wanted to put her in a nursing home so she took off for the trail instead. Sure beats a nursing home. I hope if I get old and strange that I can remember to hit the trail before my kids put me in a home.

papa john
02-09-2004, 14:20
I passed Walking Wounded just before Justus Creek. I wonder how far she made it?

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 14:25
I passed Walking Wounded just before Justus Creek. I wonder how far she made it?

I saw her camped by Justus Creek. We chatted for about 20 minutes. She asked me to camp with her, but I was trying to make Gooch Gap. Her dog's name was Bibble.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 14:31
She got a shuttle out of Franklin with a few of us. Said her dog was a "hearing ear dog" and she had a pass/permission to hike thru the Smokys with the dog.

jersey joe
02-09-2004, 14:32
I vividly remember "Malice in Wonderland" in 2002 hurling rocks at Cable Gap Shelter while several of us were trying to sleep. I think we all slept with our hiking poles at our sides that night...Happy to hear the authorities finally got a hold of him.

In 2002 there was a hiker who signed as "Malice in Wonderland," and I understand he was removed by the authorities after some illegal behavior.

papa john
02-09-2004, 14:41
I saw her camped by Justus CreekWhere did you stay that night? I was at Gooch Gap across the road by the trail to the creek.

attroll
02-09-2004, 14:43
In Sept 1999. I met a character that went by the name Wyoming Skateboarder. He did a thru-hike carrying a pack that weighed about 60 lbs. I am not kidding I picked up his pack. He carried a rambo knife, can of bear mace about the size of a gatorade bottle and also carried a blue tarp. that kind you get a the discount stores. He put the tarp over his tent every night I saw him. One night hs slept in the shelter and slept on top of the blue tarp and it crinkled and made noise all night. But nothing compared to his snoring. Oh yes and we can not forget the plastic oar he carried the whole trip. It was the kind you get with the rubber raft at places like Walmart.

I am sure if any of you met this guy you would never forget him.

I met Baltimore Jack that year too. But that is a different story. Just kidding Jack. But I am sure you remember Wyoming Skateboarder.

Dudeboard
02-09-2004, 14:45
I could write a book just on the "characters" I've met in 16,000 + miles of hiking on the AT. Maybe I will.
Tell us more. The top ten, at least.

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 14:54
Where did you stay that night? I was at Gooch Gap across the road by the trail to the creek.

I was in the field next to the road too. That was March 8, 2000. It was a clodless night, and a bunch of us sat up and watched satellites track across the sky. I think I saw 7-8 in about 30 minutes.

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Holy #$@%. Papa John!!! As I was about to send this, I remembered you. You were a Trailplace journalist too. We camped right next to one another. How cool is that?

Needles
02-09-2004, 14:58
In... I think it was 1996, I met Bjorn on the trail, really interesting guy. He was lounging in a field at Devil's Fork Gap I believe and he was a bright neon red color that could be seen from miles away. He explained that he had lost his only shirt a couple of days before and the sun was having quite an effect on him. I was planning on thru-hiking the next year and he was full of advice for me. He suggested that I do push-ups every night when I got to the shelter or campsite I would be staying at. His reasoning was that your lower body gets quite a workout on a thru-hike but your upper body would simply wither away to nothing. I have to admit, at least at that point, his upper body didn't seem to have withered much, but for some reason it didn't look like push ups were the reson for this, none the less I appreciated the advice.

Then there was last year when I met 2 guys hiking in kilts, one of them was very heavily tattooed and pierced and looked like he hadn't eaten in a few weeks, that wouldn't have been surprising except they had only been out on the trail for a few days. He said his name was George and that... oh wait, that was me :-)

papa john
02-09-2004, 15:16
I remember a Little Bear but can't place the face. Small world huh? There was also a trail guy there too. I remember seeing him several more times during the next few days.

someday
02-09-2004, 15:21
Papa John and Little Bear, Did you know Straight Jacket? I'm currently reading a book he wrote about thruhiking, "When Straight Jacket Met Golden Sun". He talks about characters they met and helped along the way. Sounds like the hiking community is amazing.

papa john
02-09-2004, 15:27
The name doesn't ring a bell but it could just be that my bell is rusted. I met so many people out there it was incredible. Sure was a lot of fun. Where di you find this book?

Papa John and Little Bear, Did you know Straight Jacket? I'm currently reading a book he wrote about thruhiking, "When Straight Jacket Met Golden Sun". He talks about characters they met and helped along the way. Sounds like the hiking community is amazing.

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 15:49

I knew them both. I first met Straightjacket at Fontana Village. He is one funny dude! He kept talking about the Nanta Hell Yeah Forest and how steep the mountains were. He was hanging out with Captain America, Chip and Theresa (who was having foot problems - major problems). Goldensun was hiking with a kid named Tumbleweed. He fell off the trail near Charlies Bunion, and rolled down hill several hundred feet, hence the trail name.

They are both fine, fine folks. I was thrilled to hear about their marriage.

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 15:51
I remember a Little Bear but can't place the face. Small world huh? There was also a trail guy there too. I remember seeing him several more times during the next few days.

You mean the Ridgerunner? Yeah, he was there with us that night.

Small word, and getting smaller - all the time.

papa john
02-09-2004, 15:58
Wish I could find my trail pictures. I have a self portrait at the GA/NC stateline. You have one you can post?

someday
02-09-2004, 16:13
Papa John, I got the book from Amazon.com. It appears he started his hike just a few days after you. You probably would know some of the people he talks about. Author is Bill Maroni.

gravityman
02-09-2004, 16:29

I meet a straight jacket in the Smokeys in 2000 on a training hike. Early march I believe. He was an EMT (if that is the same one). When we hiked in 2001 we heard from Bob that he got married at Kincora...

Gravity Man

papa john
02-09-2004, 16:46
Yes, I know Bill, we hiked quite a lot together. I will have to get the book now! I don't think he had a trailname at the time or else I didn't know it.

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 16:52
Wish I could find my trail pictures. I have a self portrait at the GA/NC stateline. You have one you can post?

I'm sure I have a slide of you. Since most of my photos are slide transparencies, I need to use a slide scanner in order to prepare them for posting. There is one here in my office, but I have never used it. I'll try and post a few slides in the next 7-10 days.

Miss Janet
02-09-2004, 18:42
This guy is great and still hiking when he can. He was with a group of nurses that was also on the Roan Highlands this past cold and snowy weekend.
I like this characters thread... I have lots of stories about a lot of you! You are all characters in this story I like to call "As The Trail Turns!" Some of you are just a little more colorful than others!!

Miss Janet
02-09-2004, 18:50
Bjorn was one of the first hikers that ever walked into our yard when I was a kid. He was HUGE and had LOT of Hair and He was LOUD! We all thought he was crazy and my Mom loved to see him coming. He stopped by several times over the years to visit my Mom and she always got him to quote Shakespear to pay for his rides into town. He had a website called Tales Of The Forrest or something but I lost the link a long time ago. I had heard that health problems had kept him off the trail the last few years.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 19:08
When you were a kid? Bjorn's first hike was in 95. So 9 years ago you were like 16 or so? :D

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2004, 19:17
Damn, Wolf, I just love watchin' you flirt......if Janet was sixteen 9 years ago, I sure hate to think where this would put me. Or YOU, for that matter, as I seem to recall you've got about 3 weeks on me. In any case, I'm not interested in Janet's real age; gentlemen don't discuss such things, especially southern gentlemen. As a Yankee transplant to Virginia, I'd have thought Wolf would've known this.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2004, 19:24
No Jack, you've got over 2 months on me. I just had a b-day. I think Miss J meant her kids remember Bjorn coming into thier yard? Dunno. But Miss J ain't much over :D 29ish.

WalkinHome
02-09-2004, 19:24
Did anyone hike or know "Hardwood" in 2000? He was a kind soul and kind of stuck in a time warp. If he had two of something, he would gladly give you three. He was a hoot. Last saw him at Trail Days 2001.

Belew
02-09-2004, 20:07
Have any of you ever met a guy in Southern Virginia that looked to me to be about 60 around 1992. He would carry Empty milk jugs on a string and when asked where he was going would tell the name of a place that was behind him or at least not in the direction he was hiking. It seems like he always had a different name every time we saw him. We saw him for a few years and called him Polyester Pete because of how he dressed. I wonder if he is still around.

papa john
02-09-2004, 20:18
Here are some pix I found. The first one is me at the GA/NC stateline for the 2nd time in 2000. I was very sick with bronchitis and left the trail 2 days after that picture was taken.

http://66pix.com/me.jpg

The 2nd one is on Blood Mtn by the shelter. See if anyone knows these 2 characters.

http://66pix.com/who.jpg

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 20:29
Here are some pix I found. The first one is me at the GA/NC stateline for the 2nd time in 2000. I was very sick with bronchitis and left the trail 2 days after that picture was taken.

http://66pix.com/who.jpg

The guy on the left is Pointman. He's from Jersey. The guy on the right is Bill from North Carolina, aka Spirit Seeker, aka Zoom. I was up there at the same time, but was not in the photo.

Zoom finished the trail. Pointman did not.

Little Bear

papa john
02-09-2004, 20:41
Did you buy a new pack at Neels Gap? And then take off like a rocket? Pointman...hehe...remember his hiking stick/bong?

MOWGLI
02-09-2004, 20:59
Did you buy a new pack at Neels Gap? And then take off like a rocket?

Yes, good memory!

papa john
02-09-2004, 21:08
I remember cause that was the last time I saw you! Wish I coulda kept up with you.

Miss Janet
02-11-2004, 08:00
I love you guys!! You know I am still a kid, too. But in this case I did mean my kids. We moved back to my Moms about 1991 and started seeing a lot more hikers than I had seen there as a kid, well, a FEW years before.

Jaybird
02-11-2004, 08:54

L.W.:

put me down for one of your books!

is it gonna be semi-autobiographical? :p

see ya'll UP the trail

mindlessmariachi
02-11-2004, 11:46
OK - two more.
There was a guy named Huck Finn I met in north Georgia/Southern NC for about a week or so in 2002. He truly distinguished himself by his ineptitude. The only food he carried was a box of pancake mix, and he had a cast-iron skillet. He managed to create only these burnt blobs of glop - people finally took pity and started giving him extra Ramens 'n stuff. He had a bunch of big Rambo knives also and some random Wal Mart gear. He kept talking about how he'd hitched to georgia from San Diego, and at one point pulled the knife on one of the drivers who gave him a lift. He was maybe about 17 and seemed like a runaway. Anyway, I later heard a rumor he was arrested for passing bad checks - he did it in a few towns and word went ahead, so the authorities were pretty much waiting for him.

second one was a schizophrenic-looking guy i stayed with at the Port Clinton Pavilion. NEver did catch his name. He spent most of his time muttering to himself under his breath, and really freaked people out. He slept alone on one side of the pavilion, everyone else on the other. A few decided to go to the hotel. At 3 or 4 in the morning, he was still sitting alone on a couch, giggling and talking to himself. I'd heard he was just bouncing back and forth in Pennsylvania. Never saw him again until he popped up suddenly at Shaw's in Monson, Maine!

Israel
02-17-2004, 22:35
Back maybe 10 years ago we did a 6 day section hike through the Natahala's the week after Christmas and spent the night with a man we named the Psycho Lone Hiker. He came in about 2 hours after dark with a barely working flashlight and threw his pack down. He wore a big wool hat such that you could never see his eyes. He barely said a word but he was walking in blue jeans, using a 35 degree coleman sleeping bag. He packed in about 15 pounds of firewood from Standing Indian campground b/c he did not own a stove and was worried the woods were still wet. He got our fire going again and then took out a big plastic bag from his pack. He then got a big saw he carried and opened the sack to reveal about a 25 lb salted country ham and proceeded to vigerously hack away at right next to my friend's leg, much to our amusement. He had virtually no gear and I don't know how he stayed warm. he was southbound and had been out for a week. The point of his hike?? He started asking us how to get to Hiawassee. The reason for his wanting to go there...? His sister had mailed him a carrot cake. He talked to himself all night long in his sleep...rambling about the CIA and the EPD. There are many more characters where he came from!

foodbag
02-18-2004, 05:01
In '99 I bumped into a guy who's trail name I don't quite remember but his subtitle, if you will, was "Journeyman for Jesus". Talk about your ultralight hikers, he had a blanket rolled up and tied, looped around his shoulder just like you might see on a Civil War soldier. I didn't see any evidence of any other gear and he was wearing blue jeans. I think he was having canned pork and beans for dinner so he probably WAS carrying a can opener. He appeared out of nowhere and disappeared just as quickly so I'm wondering if I was just having an ibuprofen hallucination!!!

Mini-Mosey
02-18-2004, 08:13
I read about goats earlier on this thread....several years ago, while on an overnight backpacking trip in Pa., there was a goat froliking on the rocks of Pole Steeple!! I took pictures of him.
aand, Walkin' Home, I remember you very well; I met you at Quarry Gap Shelter while you were thru-hiking. We talked; you gave me some advice about not taking or giving food to/from others using one's hands due to a virus one could get; you also talked about your work with compost privies, etc. I was just getting into backpacking, and I was enamored of you as a thru-hiker and as a fellow hiker. You were hiking with a nurse, also from Maine.

boulder
02-18-2004, 10:46
There was "lumberjack" in 2003. If I remember right, he started around the first week of March carrying a full axe, a smaller one, an 80# pack with about 20# of dried beans, no stove (was gonna cook the beans over an open fire), and an army issue cotton sleeping bag that got soaked about 3 days into his trek. I believe that was promptly left behind as it weighed considerablely more than a small child at that point. Others from pack 3/1 may remember the details more, but I believe his car was going to be repoed. so he left it at the trail head and began the trail. Somewhere along the way, he found a full pack complete w/filter and stove. Last I spotted him, he'd made it to NOC and was looking for work. He lived up to his name by building some of the biggest bonfires I've ever seen. Spent one night convinced the whole shelter was gonna go up in flames! A good guy, willing to laugh at himself. Anyone know what became of him?

Kozmic Zian
02-18-2004, 11:19
We think of hikers as people who have a destination in mind, or at least motivation to move on. Occasionally we meet people who seem to just appear, and are not in the hiking mainstream. I remember meeting a frail-looking young man who was wrapped in a ragged poncho and was carrying a large roll of plastic. When I said good morning to him, he responded by asking me if I knew Jesus. I'm wondering how many other WhiteBlaze members have met someone "different" on the trail.
Yea.....Characters. Well, have I got One. Anybody ever meet a character in TN, called himself, 'Yeti'. Me and Sr. Wiggly were pulling into Double Springs Shelter near Damascus. When we got there, the Shelter was filled up with "The Hiking Kids". So we decided to camp up on the knoll. We went and set up tent. Wiggly went to the spring to get water, and when he came back, he had this incredible tale to begin.....There was this guy down at the spring with a huge 'Camping Tent' set up, with a big Bouvier Dog. He had beer in the spring and offered one to Wiggly, sos he comes up the hill with a cold Bud in his hand. Well, I'm thinkin' I need some water(check this out!). So I go down there and this guy introduces himselft as 'Yeti'...yea, right! So, he seems rather TN Friendly and offers a beer. So, I get my water and head up to the camp. So, Wiggly and I agree, he's kinda' strange, but harmless. We eat, talk and settle down, next thing ya know, here comes 'Yeti' up to the camp with a six pack, smokin' a big hooter. Well, he plotses down and we imbibe, Trail Magic? He starts telling us this tale of how he killed his neighbor. Says, he and his neighbor in TN, didn't get along. One night they had an argument. The neighbor attacked him in his garage....they struggled. The neighbor knocked 'Yeti' to the ground and attacked him with a knife, cutting his arm. Yeti pulled back on the ground and saw a pitch fork standing near him and grabbed it as the neighbor charged him....and in classic form, Yeti angled the pitch fork toward the neighbor as he impaled himself on the pitchfork....WOW...we'er sittin' there listening to this wild tale while Yeti pulls out the longest 'switch blade' I've ever seen and starts playing with it! Needless to say we did't say much, after Yeti finished his tale....I said, "Yea, that's interesting, Yeti, but I gotta' git some shut eye. So I crawled in, Wiggly stayed and talked him out o' a few beers, and Yeti left, never to be seen again. But, I heard some stories that a few other Thruy's had run into him, around that same area. Ya never know who'll you'll meet on Da Trail!...Peace Bro's....KZ@
__________________________________________________ ______________
It's Not How Many Muscles One Has, But How He Uses The Ones He Has......Erkle:jump

Skyline
02-18-2004, 11:27
Can't believe no one has mentioned Ward Leonard yet. Last time I heard of him he was going by Chip.

steve hiker
02-18-2004, 12:11
Can't believe no one has mentioned Ward Leonard yet. Last time I heard of him he was going by Chip.
Yeah, I heard ole Mr. Credentials practically used to live on the trail year round, collecting his disability check to buy foood. Last report I heard was when some guys ran into him at Blood Mountain a few years ago. Then I heard a rumor he checked himself into a mental hospital. Dunno if thats true, but havent heard anything of him for a couple years.

Steve W
02-18-2004, 12:15
I once met a guy named Blue Jay..................

papa john
02-18-2004, 12:28
Mr. Credentials? Is he the preacherman that hangs out around Woody Gap with a van and does trail magic, whips out his ATC card everytime he sees a hiker? I've seen him as far up as Dicks Creek Gap.

Blue Jay
02-18-2004, 14:38
I once met a guy named Blue Jay..................

Actually I do know a great many 35 year old chemists named Steve. Which one are you, not that it matters.

Steve W
02-19-2004, 11:04
Blue Jay, we met briefly at the Gren Anderson shelter in NJ back in June, 2000. We talked for a little while then you stayed in the shelter and I tented out back. Desperado came by and we all talked for a while. I just remember you because you seemed so relaxed and at peace with the world at that moment. It caused me to look inside and think about my attitude towards hiking. Mostly it was just a brief meaningless meeting between two random hikers, no big deal. I just threw my original post out there to say hi after a few years, and to see what response I would get.

Brushy Sage
02-19-2004, 12:12
After reading all these responses, I'm wondering if I might have just as well asked if anyone had met any "normal" people on the trail. I guess we are all "characters" in some ways, and maybe part of the trail experience is that we form a community for a while, and it transcends most of our differences.

Miss Janet
02-19-2004, 12:36
Normal? What is normal? I once saw a bumper sticker... "WHY BE NERMAL?" Do you know what character that was in reference to?

Brushy Sage
02-19-2004, 20:01
Normal? What is normal? I once saw a bumper sticker... "WHY BE NERMAL?" Do you know what character that was in reference to?

Somebody ABNERMAL?

jlb2012
02-20-2004, 08:06

wasn't Nermal a "cute" kitten on the Garfield cartoon strip? :p

Blue Jay
02-20-2004, 08:34
Blue Jay, we met briefly at the Gren Anderson shelter in NJ back in June, 2000. We talked for a little while then you stayed in the shelter and I tented out back. Desperado came by and we all talked for a while. I just remember you because you seemed so relaxed and at peace with the world at that moment. It caused me to look inside and think about my attitude towards hiking. Mostly it was just a brief meaningless meeting between two random hikers, no big deal. I just threw my original post out there to say hi after a few years, and to see what response I would get.

Sorry I didn't remember you. I'm not so relaxed and at peace now. I haven't been on a long hike, outside of a 10 day Northville-Placid Hike, since 2002 and frankly I'm almost insane waiting till spring. Cross country skiing is not doing it for me this year.

smokymtnsteve
02-20-2004, 09:31
frankly I'm almost insane . .

almost?????

Blue Jay
02-20-2004, 10:24
almost?????

I haven't been certified yet.

smokymtnsteve
02-20-2004, 12:56
I have..

what are you waiting for?

jlb2012
02-20-2004, 14:11
yeah - go get certified - I was last year - first aid, CPR and Crosscut sawing

cowetajacket
08-18-2004, 23:35
I was doing a section hike from Fontana Dam to Spence Field back in the spring of 1994, and got caught in a huge rainstorm after crossing over Shuckstack. Due to the severity of the storm, I ended up crashing at the Birch Spring Shelter instead of at Mollies Ridge. One of the guys that had arrived before me went by the name Jaguar Bob, and was the real friendly, talkative type. He proceeded to tell us how he was originally from Jacksonville (hence the Jaguar nickname), and had moved to a small town out west somewhere and gotten married. Anyway, he says he was in a bar one night, and while he was in a restroom, some guy came up and started hitting on his wife. He comes out and proceeds to beat the heck out of the guy. Turns out, the guy he beat up was the cousin of the local district attorney, and the judge was his uncle. Needless to say, he got 12 months in the slammer. Wife leaves him in the mean time, so once he got out, he figured he'd go hike the AT since he had nothing else to do. He said he had read about it in a magazine, and it sounded fun ... even though he had never hiked before in his life. Strange. The more he talked about his life, the more it seemed liked he was a magnet for bad luck.

He had a massive pack (I think he said it weighed 75 lbs), most of his gear he said he got at Wal-Mart (which explains the weight), and he carried a big wind-up radio, which seemed really odd. He asked if anyone minded if he played it, and he put it on some station that was playing Hosanna music (think old-time gospel music on steroids). While that was playing and he was talking about how God had changed his life, he then tells us how he left the trail in Wesser to hitch over to Bryson City so he could go get drunk. I think he even had a small flask of Jim Beam with him that he sipped on from time to time that night.

He didn't really seem to be all that dangerous, but he definitely was entertaining. Certainly seemed out of place, and out of his element. I'll never forget that guy.

springerfever
08-19-2004, 09:25
I met a character in the Tray mountain shelter, I think it was late March/early April 2002. About 65 with a stringy grey beard. I believe he said he was from Massachusetts. It was really cold, with a brisk wind and his only outerwear was a set of Frogg Toggs. Kinda reminded you of a hunchbached knome. His pack looked huge and when he pulled out a propane tank which musthave weighed about twenty pounds I understood why !

Found out later he had purchased some items at Walaysi and had failed to sign his travelers checks. The ridgerunner caught up with him at the Deep Gap shelter, said he was doing OK just moving really slow.

You know, everyone is somewhat of a character...just some more than others!!

oldfivetango
01-06-2005, 19:26
In Sept 1999. I met a character that went by the name Wyoming Skateboarder. He did a thru-hike carrying a pack that weighed about 60 lbs. I am not kidding I picked up his pack. He carried a rambo knife, can of bear mace about the size of a gatorade bottle and also carried a blue tarp. that kind you get a the discount stores. He put the tarp over his tent every night I saw him. One night hs slept in the shelter and slept on top of the blue tarp and it crinkled and made noise all night. But nothing compared to his snoring. Oh yes and we can not forget the plastic oar he carried the whole trip. It was the kind you get with the rubber raft at places like Walmart.

I am sure if any of you met this guy you would never forget him.

I met Baltimore Jack that year too. But that is a different story. Just kidding Jack. But I am sure you remember Wyoming Skateboarder.
About the Skateboarder-
I read the entire account of his trek on trailjournal or trailplace or something
like that.ATTROLL- your strength is greater than you think.I believe he stated in his journal that his pack weight was around 90 pounds.I am not
kidding because i wondered how he could handle that.A little guy like me
can handle 60 but the 50 i plan on going with is all i really want anyway.
Speaking of which- do we have a pack weight thread running in here anywhere? I like the idea of the ultralight craze until it comes down to
the thought of being out there with hardly anything which is what some of
those gear lists look like to me.
And i never could figure out what that paddle thing was all about
anyway.Don't want to speculate on that but he posted a reasonably interesting journal and,by golly, he made it!
Oldfivetango:clap

SGT Rock
01-06-2005, 19:37
Speaking of which- do we have a pack weight thread running in here anywhere? I like the idea of the ultralight craze until it comes down to the thought of being out there with hardly anything which is what some of those gear lists look like to me.

When don't we have a pack weight thread of some sort going. You can always start a new one.

The Gnome
01-18-2005, 18:18
While SOBOing in central Virginia this Fall I heard stories of and then meet a lady who sounds like the “Queen of England” revived. According to reports she would stay at a shelter for three or four days and then move all her stuff to the next one to avoid Social Services or the Police catching up with her. Apart from her gear taking up ¾ of the shelter, she seemed harmless. I pumped some water for her and she told me she was from England and there were people in the woods trying to find her with night vision goggles.
Two members of the Roanoke A.T.C I ran into shortly afterwards called her “Shelter Sue” and described her mental condition as “a full bubble out of level”. Apparently, she lived on the move in the area around Roanoke for much of the year and was well known to the club members.
If it’s the same women, she has managed to avoid the secret police for a very long time!

weary
01-18-2005, 18:42
While SOBOing in central Virginia this Fall I heard stories of and then meet a lady who sounds like the “Queen of England” revived. According to reports she would stay at a shelter for three or four days and then move all her stuff to the next one to avoid Social Services or the Police catching up with her. Apart from her gear taking up ¾ of the shelter, she seemed harmless. I pumped some water for her and she told me she was from England and there were people in the woods trying to find her with night vision goggles.
Two members of the Roanoke A.T.C I ran into shortly afterwards called her “Shelter Sue” and described her mental condition as “a full bubble out of level”. Apparently, she lived on the move in the area around Roanoke for much of the year and was well known to the club members.
If it’s the same women, she has managed to avoid the secret police for a very long time!
Well, since at least 1993 to my knowledge. I met her at the first leanto north of Troutville. Her story was a bit out of the ordinary. But she brewed me a cup of tea on her campfire -- and borrowed a safety pin to close a hole in her tent after sighting a rattlesnake sunning itself on the stoop of the latrine.

Weary

anneandbenhike
01-18-2005, 19:15
My husband and I were on a week long section hike (SOBO) this past September and bypassed the shelter just North of Troutville, VA where the lady was staying. We were told by another section hiker (NOBO) that she had spread her gear all over the shelter and that she was having a bad day so we bypassed the shelter altogether (it is off the trail a bit). WE later heard that she always seemed to stay a step ahead of the law but that she planned to stay in the local area for the winter. Interesting!!! :confused:

ferryman
01-19-2005, 13:25
Yes, indeed, Wyoming is a definite "Top Ten." It was a few years back when Wyoming Skateboard arrived at the ferry service with paddle in hand. I asked him how long he had hiked with the paddle and he answered, "Well over a thousand miles." I said to him that if that paddle got him over mountains and valleys, then it was good enough to paddle us across the Kennebec River. We reached the other side safely and he headed southbound on a modified flip flop. I truly enjoyed meeting him and hope he is continueing to do well, probably back in the Great State of Wyoming. Steve Longley

MOWGLI
01-19-2005, 13:38
There was a guy in 2000 named Bill from Ohio. We started about the same time - March 7. I met him at Woods Hole Shelter on March 9. His trailname was Moses. He was 72 years old, and had a plastic sign affixed to his pack that said; Jesus Is Lord.

Now, a lot of folks would kinda laugh at Old Bill. Ya know, kind of snicker behind his back 'cause he was a "Holy Roller", or so they thought.

Fact is, he was one of the nicest, most interesting people I met along the way. He snored like a chainsaw, and unfortunately some younger hikers took to verbally abusing and hasseling him because he had the audacity to sleep in the shelters.

I heard he fell and broke his leg in New York, but I have never had that confirmed.

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 14:40
In 2003 I encountered a hiker in Virginia (I think he called himself "Crazy Horse") who made me wonder a bit. When I walked into the shelter area he was crouched over an open fire cooking dinner. I greeted him and continued onto the shelter to drop my pack. It started to rain (not an uncommon thing in 2003) shortly thereafter and I decided to roll out my gear and stay in the shelter rather than pitch a tent. Crazy Horse eventually returned to the shelter, where it appeared he had all his earthly possessions stuffed in a corner. He said very little, 2 - 3 words at most, while I finished off my dinner and crawled into my sleeping bag. All night I heard rattling and rustling as Crazy Horse shifted positions under his large sheet of plastic drop cloth. I got up in the morning and sat staring out of the shelter when Crazy Horse began to stirr. He sat up and pulled the plastic sheet down from around him. He had on a hooded sweatshirt and had pulled a stocking cap down well over his face underneath. It was like looking at the "faceless man". He sat there, totally motionless and quiet, staring out through that stocking cap for several minutes and then rolled back over and appeared to go back to sleep.

I packed up my stuff and hiked out. Later on I mentioned this experience to the caretaker at Blackburn Center. He said that Crazy Horse basically "lives" on the AT. He is a Viet Nam vet who never quite "made it back" and just Yo-Yo's back and forth on the AT. The clothing and gear he carries comes from hiker discards. According to the caretaker he is harmless but tends to spook people with his behavior.

I hadn't thought about this much since my hike ...but remembering that night caused a chill to run up and down my spine.

'Slogger
AT 2003

A-Train
01-19-2005, 19:47
In 2003 I encountered a hiker in Virginia (I think he called himself "Crazy Horse") who made me wonder a bit. When I walked into the shelter area he was crouched over an open fire cooking dinner. I greeted him and continued onto the shelter to drop my pack. It started to rain (not an uncommon thing in 2003) shortly thereafter and I decided to roll out my gear and stay in the shelter rather than pitch a tent. Crazy Horse eventually returned to the shelter, where it appeared he had all his earthly possessions stuffed in a corner. He said very little, 2 - 3 words at most, while I finished off my dinner and crawled into my sleeping bag. All night I heard rattling and rustling as Crazy Horse shifted positions under his large sheet of plastic drop cloth. I got up in the morning and sat staring out of the shelter when Crazy Horse began to stirr. He sat up and pulled the plastic sheet down from around him. He had on a hooded sweatshirt and had pulled a stocking cap down well over his face underneath. It was like looking at the "faceless man". He sat there, totally motionless and quiet, staring out through that stocking cap for several minutes and then rolled back over and appeared to go back to sleep.

I packed up my stuff and hiked out. Later on I mentioned this experience to the caretaker at Blackburn Center. He said that Crazy Horse basically "lives" on the AT. He is a Viet Nam vet who never quite "made it back" and just Yo-Yo's back and forth on the AT. The clothing and gear he carries comes from hiker discards. According to the caretaker he is harmless but tends to spook people with his behavior.

I hadn't thought about this much since my hike ...but remembering that night caused a chill to run up and down my spine.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Hah, funny because I almost decided to post last night and talk about Crazyhorse. Definately a "character". He wore an eye patch and used a day pack with a sleeping bag and other things strapped to his pack. Definately did not say much but was harmless enough. I believe I ran into him near William Penn shelter in mid-may. Although he had to have caught a ride up there or else we're NOT talking about the same guy, since Slogger, I believe you were a month or two behind me.

Another character was Lumberjack from 03'. He went AWOL from the army, drove a car down to Georgia and supposedly left it somewhere and started walking with a pack close to 90 lbs, including an axe, saw and full army gear. I saw him off and on between Gerogia and Siler Bald and he was often sitting around a shelter all day, making great fires, cutting wood and smoking. He did more hitching than walking, but a really nice dude. He was one of the guys to find gear on the side of the trail abandoned and found a brand new mountain Hardware bag. I heard he made it as far as Hot Springs...

Footslogger
01-19-2005, 19:53
Hah, funny because I almost decided to post last night and talk about Crazyhorse. Definately a "character". He wore an eye patch and used a day pack with a sleeping bag and other things strapped to his pack. Definately did not say much but was harmless enough. I believe I ran into him near William Penn shelter in mid-may. Although he had to have caught a ride up there or else we're NOT talking about the same guy, since Slogger, I believe you were a month or two behind me.

Another character was Lumberjack from 03'. He went AWOL from the army, drove a car down to Georgia and supposedly left it somewhere and started walking with a pack close to 90 lbs, including an axe, saw and full army gear. ==================================
YUP ...that was the guy. I forgot to mention the eye patch.

But, there must have been at least 2 "Lumberjacks" on the trail in 2003. The one I hiked with was a lawyer from New York.

'Slogger
AT 2003

DMA, 2000
01-19-2005, 21:36
I'm late to this thread, but I remember Straight Jacket from 2000. I saw him at the Amicolala lodge the day before I started, and then met him on my 5th day out (Woody Gap to Blood Mountain). We were part of a group that took a 0 at Goose Creek, but he got ahead of me, and that was it. However, I made it a point to read his register entries, as they were usually long and very funny.

I remember he did a really funny standup routine at the Trail Days talent show. He wore hiking boots, pink underwear, and nothing else, if memory serves.

Thanks for the tip on the book. I'll look it up.

I was just a few days behind you two (Mowgli, Papa John)...started March 10.

DMA, 2000
01-19-2005, 21:41
Oh, speaking of characters, while there were a number of them in 2000, as there always are, does anyone remember The Screamer? I was around him a number of times between VA and NH.

Unlike the rest of us, he was a genuine homeless guy, and fairly insane (though he seemed to improve as he went up the trail). Evidently, he got on the trail in Georgia because some small town cops caught him dumpster diving. He tried to explain himself away, saying that he was just walking through town, wasn't up to anything bad. The cops' response was to drive him to the trail, drop him off, and tell him that if he liked walking, he could walk that way as long as he wanted...and don't come back again. He picked up gear as he went along...junk from hiker boxes and such.

There were all sorts of good Screamer stories, the best of which I shall not repeat in this family forum. I do remember hearing that some local or tourist in Gatlinburg tried to give him some money, offered him a twenty. Screamer answered, "Sir, I wouldn't know what to do with $20." They went back and forth before the Screamer talked the guy down to $5.

Does anyone know whatever happened to him? He was an odd duck, but I liked the guy.

A-Train
01-19-2005, 22:44
==================================
YUP ...that was the guy. I forgot to mention the eye patch.

But, there must have been at least 2 "Lumberjacks" on the trail in 2003. The one I hiked with was a lawyer from New York.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Yah, this Lumberjack was black. different guys.

wacocelt
01-19-2005, 23:33
There was "lumberjack" in 2003. If I remember right, he started around the first week of March carrying a full axe, a smaller one, an 80# pack with about 20# of dried beans, no stove (was gonna cook the beans over an open fire), and an army issue cotton sleeping bag that got soaked about 3 days into his trek. I believe that was promptly left behind as it weighed considerablely more than a small child at that point. Others from pack 3/1 may remember the details more, but I believe his car was going to be repoed. so he left it at the trail head and began the trail. Somewhere along the way, he found a full pack complete w/filter and stove. Last I spotted him, he'd made it to NOC and was looking for work. He lived up to his name by building some of the biggest bonfires I've ever seen. Spent one night convinced the whole shelter was gonna go up in flames! A good guy, willing to laugh at himself. Anyone know what became of him?

I met him at the Fontana Hilton, where he had been living for a few weeks. The gear he was carrying when I met him was all military issue, including large alice pack with frame. He was working on fishing when I met him, 550 cord gut and a safety pin. Dunno if he ever caught anything. :rolleyes:

Alpha

RenaissanceMan98
01-20-2005, 01:01
I met a guy in 98 at Walasa-Yi who was hiking in all cotton clothing, blue jeans, etc with a bunch of K-Mart bought gear. He was having a hard time of it, the weather was very cold and extremely wet, so he and I and Jeff Hansen (owner of Mt. Crossings back then) had a little chat about his gear choices. He came around to our line of thinking and purchased over 600 bucks of new gear. Good stuff, really lightened his load. Weird thing was, he paid cash for it all.

I hiked on with him for a few weeks. He was an odd guy and put a lot of people off. One thing he'd do was to set up his K-Mart tent right in front of the shelters as soon as he hit camp, then not come out all night. He wouldn't ignore the rest of us, just talked to us through his tent walls. Very unnerving, especially as he almost exclusively talked to the women at the shelter.

A few weeks later I camped with a large group that all got to talking about this guy, and the general concensus was that he was not one of "us" and to stay away from him.

This made me angry. None of these folks had even met the guy, they had just heard things from other people, and then decided to avoid him without even giving him a chance.

I spoke up: "Come on you guys. He's a nice guy, just a little odd is all. You guys haven't even met him, and you are judging him. He's going to hike for a few weeks, then quit his dream because he was ostracized. He'll go home and tell everyone that everyobody on the AT is an a**hole, and you know what? He'll be right."

Well, that shut them up. They realized they were in the process of screwing over another hiker just because he didn't fit the accepted mold of what a thru-hiker "should" be.

Two weeks later the FBI started taking hikers in for questioning about this same fellow. Turns out he'd robbed two banks in Georgia, then took a cab to Amicalola and tried to hike away with 35 grand in cash.

So much for me being the voice of reason, lol.

Best part of the whole thing was his trail name: He called himself Richie Rich.

A-Train
01-20-2005, 01:14
I met a guy in 98 at Walasa-Yi who was hiking in all cotton clothing, blue jeans, etc with a bunch of K-Mart bought gear. He was having a hard time of it, the weather was very cold and extremely wet, so he and I and Jeff Hansen (owner of Mt. Crossings back then) had a little chat about his gear choices. He came around to our line of thinking and purchased over 600 bucks of new gear. Good stuff, really lightened his load. Weird thing was, he paid cash for it all.

I hiked on with him for a few weeks. He was an odd guy and put a lot of people off. One thing he'd do was to set up his K-Mart tent right in front of the shelters as soon as he hit camp, then not come out all night. He wouldn't ignore the rest of us, just talked to us through his tent walls. Very unnerving, especially as he almost exclusively talked to the women at the shelter.

A few weeks later I camped with a large group that all got to talking about this guy, and the general concensus was that he was not one of "us" and to stay away from him.

This made me angry. None of these folks had even met the guy, they had just heard things from other people, and then decided to avoid him without even giving him a chance.

I spoke up: "Come on you guys. He's a nice guy, just a little odd is all. You guys haven't even met him, and you are judging him. He's going to hike for a few weeks, then quit his dream because he was ostracized. He'll go home and tell everyone that everyobody on the AT is an a**hole, and you know what? He'll be right."

Well, that shut them up. They realized they were in the process of screwing over another hiker just because he didn't fit the accepted mold of what a thru-hiker "should" be.

Two weeks later the FBI started taking hikers in for questioning about this same fellow. Turns out he'd robbed two banks in Georgia, then took a cab to Amicalola and tried to hike away with 35 grand in cash.

So much for me being the voice of reason, lol.

Best part of the whole thing was his trail name: He called himself Richie Rich.

RenMan-

Awesome story and post. Thanks for sharing it :)

Lugnut
01-20-2005, 01:45

Check the thread titled - Homeless at Fulhardt.

saimyoji
01-20-2005, 01:57
RennaisanceMan: Great Post!! How could you know? You had the right attitude in giving him the benefit of the doubt. Nothin wrong with that.

superman
01-20-2005, 18:36
I hiked for about half a day with Screamer. The entire time he was trying to convince me that doing drugs is a good thing. The funny part was that he was using himself as an example of how good it is for a person. I think the last time I saw him was near the Home Place. I was at Bear and Bunnys the following year and Bear told me that Screamer had gotten there in 2000. When the snow storm came Bear told Screamer that his hike was over. That may have been the snow that came the day after I summated on 7 Oct.

trippclark
01-20-2005, 19:30
Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly where or when, but it was either 2000 or 2001 and either Georgia or North Carolina. Anyway, we had not long arrived at the shelter when another hiker showed up with a pack and plastic grocery bags full of honeybuns, red beans and rice, and a newspaper. He identified himself as "Roy." When we asked what his trail name was he very matter of factly told us that "Roy" was his trail name, and that his "mama named him Leroy." He had quite a few "interesting" stories. He said that he was hiking back and forth on the trail -- up to Katahdin, the back to Springer, over and over. Six times, I think was his claim. He was southbound at this time and said that when he got done this time he was going to go south and "circumnavigate Florida" in a Kayak. Now it seems like every hike we ask each other, "wonder if Roy ever 'circumnavigated' Florida?" He also said several times that he needed to "find myself a good woman that'll watch my stuff while I go hiking." We asked him if he filtered water. He said he did not and showed us his water, "See them floaty things? Them's minerals. People pay lots of money for them!" He did say, in regards to his water, "I've been sick a few times, sometimes pretty bad!" He was an interesting character for sure.

rambunny
02-27-2005, 23:43
look in the mirror

Groucho
02-27-2005, 23:58
look in the mirror

Nah. He has to stay at home. :jump

One Leg
02-28-2005, 12:53
I met a guy who called himself Santa Clause. He appeared to be in is late teens to early 20's. Said he was from White Plains, N.Y. His story was that he alledgely had in excess of $3,000 in gear, but at the last minute, "Jesus" told him to leave his stuff at home, that "Jesus" promised to meet all of his needs & take care of him. He was eating from hiker boxes & bumming off other hikers. When I last saw him, he was in Damascus at Mt.Rogers outfitters trying to affix a leather belt to a discarded pack he'd been given. He was easily identified, as he had crosses tattooed on both wrists. I often wonder if he made it.

The 2nd 'character' I met was a guy who called himself "On-it". In his hydration bag, instead of water, he had mixxed some pretty hard liquor, and took frequent "sips". He'd gotten into some trouble at Partnership shelter, where he'd hiked down into town, obtained half a gallon of something, as well as some beer, brought it back to the shelter, got plastered, and was harrassing other hikers. I heard through the grapevine that he'd been arrested at the shelter, but bonded out, and returned to the trail. When I ran into him at 4 Pines hostel, he was inebriated. At midnight, when others were trying to sleep, he was sitting up near the woodstove, drinking beer & listening to the radio at a very high volume. Saffron, a female hiker, asked him to please tone it down, to which he responded "****** you!" At 2:30am, still awake, I hiked out of 4 Pines. Saw him the next day, and he apologized for his actions. Haven't seen him since.

Last true character I saw, I can't recall the trail name, but she was an older woman who appeared to be in her late 50's or early 60's. I ran into her in New Hamphsire in the Whites, near Lake of the Clouds hut. She was telling me some pretty off-the-wall things about how the gov't had implanted a tracking/listening device in her vagina. I didn't listen to her very long, as I didn't want the gov't eavesdropping on our conversation. I just wanted to get out of there, which I did.

The Cheat
02-28-2005, 13:21
Last true character I saw, I can't recall the trail name, but she was an older woman who appeared to be in her late 50's or early 60's. I ran into her in New Hamphsire in the Whites, near Lake of the Clouds hut. She was telling me some pretty off-the-wall things about how the gov't had implanted a tracking/listening device in her vagina. I didn't listen to her very long, as I didn't want the gov't eavesdropping on our conversation. I just wanted to get out of there, which I did.
Why were you talking into her..... oh, nevermind!:D

One Leg
02-28-2005, 13:36

LOL, suffice it to say that I was NOT speaking into the microphone... :D

Nightwalker
02-28-2005, 19:42
I would seriously recommend a full read of this thread from post #1 forward...

rocket04
03-01-2005, 14:50
On-it was definitely a character. He was a nice guy, but from what I heard it wasn't so after he did some drinking, a real shame.

The Cheat
03-01-2005, 15:00
I would seriously recommend a full read of this thread from post #1 forward...
.........?

Nightwalker
03-01-2005, 15:13
.........?
That was because I had found this thread under the "new posts" thingamajigger upon signing in. However, on a hunch, I went back and read them all. This is an absolute hoot of a thread. Therefore the recommendation to read the entire thread if folks had just came in from seeing it under "new posts"

Thassall. :D

The Cheat
03-01-2005, 15:25
That was because I had found this thread under the "new posts" thingamajigger upon signing in. However, on a hunch, I went back and read them all. This is an absolute hoot of a thread. Therefore the recommendation to read the entire thread if folks had just came in from seeing it under "new posts"

Thassall. :D
Ah, got it.

One Leg
03-01-2005, 17:27
On-it was definitely a character. He was a nice guy, but from what I heard it wasn't so after he did some drinking, a real shame.

Rocket:

On-It was about as nice a guy as you'd ever meet. The day after the 4-Pines incident, he and I hiked together for some distance and had a great conversation. We went to that all-you-can-eat restaurant in Catawba(Homeplace?) and broke bread together. As young as he is, I hope he can reach a point where he can lay off the alcohol and allow folks to get to know the real him, because he's a heckuva guy.

rocket04
03-01-2005, 21:20
Rocket:

On-It was about as nice a guy as you'd ever meet. The day after the 4-Pines incident, he and I hiked together for some distance and had a great conversation. We went to that all-you-can-eat restaurant in Catawba(Homeplace?) and broke bread together. As young as he is, I hope he can reach a point where he can lay off the alcohol and allow folks to get to know the real him, because he's a heckuva guy. I agree. I hiked a stretch with him after Standing Bear Farm, and also did hardcore with him. And we played some football during Trail Days too. Hopefully he'll learn to avoid overdoing it on the alcohol.

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:38
Oh, speaking of characters, while there were a number of them in 2000, as there always are, does anyone remember The Screamer? I was around him a number of times between VA and NH.

Unlike the rest of us, he was a genuine homeless guy, and fairly insane (though he seemed to improve as he went up the trail). Evidently, he got on the trail in Georgia because some small town cops caught him dumpster diving. He tried to explain himself away, saying that he was just walking through town, wasn't up to anything bad. The cops' response was to drive him to the trail, drop him off, and tell him that if he liked walking, he could walk that way as long as he wanted...and don't come back again. He picked up gear as he went along...junk from hiker boxes and such.

There were all sorts of good Screamer stories, the best of which I shall not repeat in this family forum. I do remember hearing that some local or tourist in Gatlinburg tried to give him some money, offered him a twenty. Screamer answered, "Sir, I wouldn't know what to do with $20." They went back and forth before the Screamer talked the guy down to $5.

Does anyone know whatever happened to him? He was an odd duck, but I liked the guy.

Screamer is back on the trail. Stayed with him the other night at Brinks Rd Shelter. Yes, an odd guy but also a nice guy who seems to mean well. He seemed pretty harmless to me. I tented far away from the shelter but other folks told me he was up at 430am yelling. Ran into him again yesterday again and he was by himself. He has been traveling with a couple who says they're thru-hiking but is doing an awful lot of yellow-blazing. He says he keeps hiking and meets them in towns.

Gonzo!
08-03-2005, 09:41
Not sure of the spelling of his last name, but I met Winston heading south on Washington in 1983. He was the first African American thru hiker that I had ever run into. An elderly man, claiming to be a professsor from Tuskegee University and a tuskegee airman. Really quite a story teller, he conned the hut crew into letting him work for stay after they had turned me down. Does anyone else have any information on this guy? I also met him on barren mountain in 1985 while he sat in his tent waiting out the rain. He carried a couple of empty gallon milk jugs tied to the outside of his pack - just one of the oddities I noticed at first glance. His pack probably weighed 50+lbs! But I believe he really was a thru hiker.

Gonzo!

chief
09-11-2008, 17:43
There was a guy who was hiking in 2000 that did not have use of one of his arms. Can't remember which, doesn't really matter, but the first time I met this guy I disliked him right off. He was a know-it-all and had-done-it-all. I spent a few hours at Muskrat Creek Shelter with him while we were taking a lunch break and once I got to know him a little better I could tolerate him a lot more. Seeing what he had to go through trying to do even the most trivial of tasks (like tying your boots) with one hand was sobering.

Wish I could remember his trail name. Turned out to be an OK guy once you got past all the BS.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I found this while doing some searching...

Papa John, I think the guy you're talking about is "One Armed Bandit", we called him OAB. At some point he became a little obsessed with a female hiker named Groovy and was always looking for her (she was always avoiding him) Last I saw him was at the Fontana Hilton. He asked where Groovy was. I knew, but wasn't telling!