PDA

View Full Version : Breed best suited for AT

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:34
:-? I still think the best breed for hiking is the Jack Russell Parsons terrier! they just don't have to give up in 'em!
:sun -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
05-15-2008, 23:35
I mean, they DON't have no give up in 'em!!!! (sorry)
-SunnyWalker

PJ 2005
05-16-2008, 00:33
Grizzly. Maybe Kodiak.

Odd Thomas
05-16-2008, 05:45
human :p

KG4FAM
05-16-2008, 07:16
The best dogs I have seen out there are muts. They are usually a lot smarter.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 08:53
hippies are pretty good on the trail...ex-military are another option, but you need to keep them on a much shorter leash.

superman
05-16-2008, 09:17
wolf:rolleyes:

Two Speed
05-16-2008, 09:24
:-? I still think the best breed for hiking is the Jack Russell Parsons terrier! they just don't have to give up in 'em!
:sun -SunnyWalkerI dunno. Got a Schnauzer/Irish Wolfhound mix that doesn't understand the meaning of "quit." Great on the trail, but can be a royal PITA around the house. :cool:

Dances with Mice
05-16-2008, 09:29
Great on the trail, but can be a royal PITA around the house. Clarification needed: You're talking about the dog?

Two Speed
05-16-2008, 09:31
Ummmm . . . well . . . I was, anyway.

glacier48
05-16-2008, 10:32
I adopted a dog that was Ferrell for the first year of her life. She lived and survived in the outdoors on her own. She is a terrier-husky mix and loves to hike. She is quick to let me know that she doesn't need me when we hike. I have owned her for 6 years and she is still a different kind of dog. Quite a hiker though. I swear that she smiles at times.
Glacier

doggiebag
05-16-2008, 10:48
hippies are pretty good on the trail...ex-military are another option, but you need to keep them on a much shorter leash.
I much prefer the ex-military breeds. Pretty self-sufficient, all business, used to heavy loads and long distances. The hippie breed is more playful, great with the frisbees but I find the breed too laid back and has a tendency of getting into certain leaves and scavenging for specific mushrooms. You only need to keep the ex-military breed on a short leash if it hasn't been properly socialized. :D

Seriously though - I like the blue/red heeler.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 10:57
I much prefer the ex-military breeds. Pretty self-sufficient, all business, used to heavy loads and long distances. The hippie breed is more playful, great with the frisbees but I find the breed too laid back and has a tendency of getting into leaves and scavenging for mushrooms. You only need to keep the ex-military breed on a short leash if it hasn't been properly socialized. :D
i pretty much agree with you there, d.b., but the ex-mil breeds tend to be a little over aggressive no matter how well socialized they may seem at first. remember, it's not necessarily the breed, but the training that makes a bad pet. they are good at following voice commands, but when they get excited they can be a handful. now the hippies, while they do tend to have a very short attention span and are known to wander , can be ignored to a certain extent, and will generally find their way back to camp by meal time.

doggiebag
05-16-2008, 11:05
i pretty much agree with you there, d.b., but the ex-mil breeds tend to be a little over aggressive no matter how well socialized they may seem at first. remember, it's not necessarily the breed, but the training that makes a bad pet. they are good at following voice commands, but when they get excited they can be a handful. now the hippies, while they do tend to have a very short attention span and are known to wander , can be ignored to a certain extent, and will generally find their way back to camp by meal time.
That's the main difference between the breeds. But you must understand that the ex-mil is a very loyal breed that won't show much aggression unless threatened. The hippie just get's into too much trouble when unsupervised. The hippie is also a prolific breeder if allowed to wander. But we start to digress - it's a touchy subject when we start arguing about the ethics of breed specific neutering.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 11:33
That's the main difference between the breeds. But you must understand that the ex-mil is a very loyal breed that won't show much aggression unless threatened. The hippie just get's into too much trouble when unsupervised. The hippie is also a prolific breeder if allowed to wander. But we start to digress - it's a touchy subject when we start arguing about the ethics of breed specific neutering.
i agree, it's unfortunate that spaying/neutering raises so many hackles.

Mags
05-16-2008, 12:05
I find that shorter, stockier breeds work well. The Rhode Island Hiker Trash breed has had great success on trails.

This breed was developed from a similar, but different breed, called the Southern Italian Peasant breed.

Though the RI hiker trash breed has a tendency to put on weight if not exercised frequently, they do show great endurance and adaptability for outdoor conditions. With frequent exercise, the genetic stockiness traits turns into what some consider to be strong and defined leg musculature.

The down side of this breed is that they can be stubborn at times. Due to the sometimes harsh environment of the Northeast where this breed was originally bred, the breed is found to be abrasive by certain other breeds that are senstive (cf. the Hippie, Alternative Religions, Progressives) which tend to be found in the mountain towns this breed likes to frequent.

Please be aware that this breed has a tendency to like a sports supplement known as "beer" that if not taken in moderation (and done with the frequent exercise suggested) can exacerbate the naturally stockiness of said breed.

superman
05-16-2008, 12:11
I find that shorter, stockier breeds work well. The Rhode Island Hiker Trash breed has had great success on trails.

This breed was developed from a similar, but different breed, called the Southern Italian Peasant breed.

Though the RI hiker trash breed has a tendency to put on weight if not exercised frequently, they do show great endurance and adaptability for outdoor conditions. With frequent exercise, the genetic stockiness traits turns into what some consider to be strong and defined leg musculature.

The down side of this breed is that they can be stubborn at times. Due to the sometimes harsh environment of the Northeast where this breed was originally bred, the breed is found to be abrasive by certain other breeds that are senstive (cf. the Hippie, Alternative Religions, Progressives) which tend to be found in the mountain towns this breed likes to frequent.

Please be aware that this breed has a tendency to like a sports supplement known as "beer" that if not taken in moderation (and done with the frequent exercise suggested) can exacerbate the naturally stockiness of said breed.

LMAO:D:banana

Odd Thomas
05-16-2008, 13:12

WTS stud services PST with offer :p

Mags
05-16-2008, 13:26
WTS stud services PST with offer :p

Er...I don't know classified speak too well. :)

As for stud services, this breed did have the misfortune of having the Catholic Guilt Method of training so the breed feels guilty for even thinking about it. Intervention with the atheist training method has helped, though...

mudhead
05-16-2008, 17:37
Dang! I thought that confession thing got you a clean slate. Kind of like showering.

superman
05-16-2008, 18:50
Dang! I thought that confession thing got you a clean slate. Kind of like showering.

Only if you say 50 hail marys and make believe you're sorry.

Odd Thomas
05-16-2008, 19:22
Only if you say 50 hail marys and make believe you're sorry.

That was the old church, the new pope will let you off as long as you recycle responsibly

SawnieRobertson
05-16-2008, 20:20
You guys are being so funny, especially you, Magaroni. Thanks for a good laugh.--Kinnickinic

SunnyWalker
05-16-2008, 21:32
Then there is the Whiteblaze trash that is a real pita also. We should have nuetered that breed. maybe even euthanisia.

superman
05-16-2008, 22:51
That was the old church, the new pope will let you off as long as you recycle responsibly

Winter can't tell the difference between pope and poop but she can tell the difference between old poop and new poop. Is that what you mean?

Lilred
05-18-2008, 11:01
No one has mentioned the Scots-Irish breed. They're a rough group, but remember they were the first breed introduced on this continent that crossed the Appalachians. Although they have a mind of their own, and are pretty scruffy, they are tough and can be very loyal. They do tend to get into some pretty good fights with other breeds though, just don't give them any beer or whiskey.

Seriously, if I was looking for a dog to take on the trail, I would find one with short hair, long legs, and light enough to carry if I had to.

Odd Thomas
05-19-2008, 03:13
Winter can't tell the difference between pope and poop but she can tell the difference between old poop and new poop. Is that what you mean?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/10/eavatican110.xml

superman
05-19-2008, 07:11
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/10/eavatican110.xml

Well, that should clean up the papists image. Did they change that Commandment to read "thou shalt not covet thy neighbors trash?" For those who feel that there should be a bible in every shelter they could put up a sign that says "trash is in the eye of the beholder." The same guy that made the 1000 signs on the AT that say the water is .2 miles off the trail (quantity discount). When Winter and I hiked in 2000, as we consumed our food the trash was put in Winter's pack. She would hike along with the sardine and tuna cans making a low rattle. She also carried a lot of trash out that had been left in shelters...and we didn't even stay in shelters.

Grinder
05-19-2008, 07:53
I just met Bree and Dan, from Chicago, on the Trail near Dicks Creek Gap with their dog, a full size White Poodle.

The dog looked kind of like a debutante in a bowling alley, but was even tempered and carried her own pack.

I'd say you just don't know what breed will work, although nothing beats a big black dog (Labrador) IMHO

Miles of Smiles
Tom

kanga
05-19-2008, 10:23
No one has mentioned the Scots-Irish breed. They're a rough group, but remember they were the first breed introduced on this continent that crossed the Appalachians. Although they have a mind of their own, and are pretty scruffy, they are tough and can be very loyal. They do tend to get into some pretty good fights with other breeds though, just don't give them any beer or whiskey.

Hey! Some of us resemble that remark! :eek:

desdemona
05-19-2008, 23:49
I just met Bree and Dan, from Chicago, on the Trail near Dicks Creek Gap with their dog, a full size White Poodle.

The dog looked kind of like a debutante in a bowling alley, but was even tempered and carried her own pack.

I'd say you just don't know what breed will work, although nothing beats a big black dog (Labrador) IMHO

Miles of Smiles
Tom

They may not always look it (although many that I have seen have a really modified clip), but the Standard Poodle is a really serious dog and a retriever. They are being used as service dogs (In fact, I know somone with a service dog Poodle). I would bet they could go forever. They are very high energy.

--des

Flush2wice
05-20-2008, 09:32
The heartier the better, otherwise they tend to get squashed in your pack. I prefer rye or pumpernickel. Bagels are good to.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 09:42
The heartier the better, otherwise they tend to get squashed in your pack. I prefer rye or pumpernickel. Bagels are good to.
a bushy 'chin afro' works well to catch bread crumbs that a moustache might inadvertently push away from your mouth...an amish or abe lincoln style is more of an 'ultra lite' solution, doing away with the 'stache and facilitating easier bread input/ less crumb output...

Flush2wice
05-20-2008, 09:48
The heartier the better, otherwise they whine and want to go shopping. I prefer stout ones that like to cook and don't mind a little funk.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 10:11
The heartier the better, otherwise they whine and want to go shopping. I prefer stout ones that like to cook and don't mind a little funk.
message boards...i think a good public forum set-up is probably the best kind of message board for a trail like the a.t. er, well then again there's a lot to be said for smorgasbords. staffed by hearty waitresses, not whining about having to serve bearded men freshly baked loaves of pumpernickel or oatmeal raisin breads...and the place ought to allow dogs inside. that would be the best smorgasbord on the trail, i.m.h.o...

taildragger
05-20-2008, 10:39
The hillbilly could be a good alternative. They've been living in the Appalachia's for decades, good impure blood line, and are used to scavenging for their own food. Just have to watch them around hippies, copper lines, and corn (they have a tendency to wander and make stills, which will eventually get the owner in trouble with the revenuers).

Any of the original native breeds will work quite well. I prefer a Cherokee, but others may have a differing preference. However, since the whole Jackson fiasco, the native breeds are more scattered and harder to find.

As for a dog that you might want to take, I'd say any type of cattle dog (blue heeler all the way). Smart, loyal, and can entertain you while it chases cows in that rancher's field.

the goat
05-20-2008, 12:59
i'm going to close this one down for a while in hopes that the degenerated conversation might regenerate into something useful at a later date.