PDA

View Full Version : Is this dumb or not

Ron Haven
05-16-2008, 00:01
I had a hiker make a suggestion a couple of years back and at the time it passed through my mind and then again back earlier in the year it was mentioned again by another hiker.As I thought about it I want some honest opinions.

I have had the opportunity to meet thousands of hikers each year and get to know many of you.But there are many who hike over and over and truthfully are a household name.I know you aren't celebrities in Hollywood,Broadway and so on,but to AT Enthusiest you are famous and a hero with your trail knowledge,help,experence,and smiles.I get a chance to see newby hikers get to meet veteren hikers that they have heard so many stories about and a glo in their heart.This idea I am presenting to you puts a face to the stories they have heard of these trail celebrities before they get a chance to meet each other.

The suggestions and thought was for me to Put a 18X20 signed picture in each of my motel rooms dedicating that room to a trail celebrity.I could display more than 40 different ones.Most of the ones I am speaking of I have had stay in one of our motels at some time in the past anyway.

If you think it is dumb I can take critisism,but if you think it is a good idea and even ones to suggest.Post it.I will be at Damascus Fri night where I know at least a dozen will be that I would pick.I will have my camera also :D I would want them to agree with me posting their picture also.

warraghiyagey
05-16-2008, 00:06
If you think it is a good idea. . . it is. And I happen too, because you thought it. Hoping to meet you soon.
W :)

camojack
05-16-2008, 00:14
Would you keep Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle separated? :-?

Ron Haven
05-16-2008, 01:28
Would you keep Baltimore Jack and Warren Doyle separated? :-?I would like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.:eek:

camojack
05-16-2008, 01:50
I woul like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.:eek:
Indeed... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent028.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Hooch
05-16-2008, 06:14
Kinda of like an AT Walk of Fame? Interesting idea, I like it.

Gray Blazer
05-16-2008, 06:28
You have my permission to use mine.:D

I say go for it. I know where you can get some homemade frames.:rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
05-16-2008, 07:09
Don't forget, you are a trail legend, too. Gotta put your pics in the rooms, also.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 08:57
i think it's dumb. why would you want a picture of some dirty hiker staring at you in a hotel room? come to think of it, i've never seen any portrait in any hotel room...lot's of horrible landscapes, still-lifes, no portraits...there's probably a reason for this, but who cares...

Rain Man
05-16-2008, 09:26
I would like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.:eek:

In that case, hang 'em together in some fire-proof room.... say, a well-tiled toilet?!
:D
Rain:sunMan

P.S. I do like your original idea, truly.

DesertMTB
05-16-2008, 09:30
Great idea Ron.

Cuffs
05-16-2008, 09:47
Neat, idea, but theres certain folks I just wouldnt want looking over me as I slept!

jesse
05-16-2008, 10:21
Who should get a room named in their honor? Who should be first? Who should get the best room? It would give us something else to argue about over the internet.

Seriously, It would add some uniqueness to your motels. Go with your instinct, its probably right.

glacier48
05-16-2008, 10:28
The idea of making your motel a tribute to those hikers whom you have met and who have stayed at your motel sounds great to me. I would come there just to see your pictures and to hear your stories.

This might be a nice idea for your lobby also. Idea doesn't sound stupid it sounds cool. I'm down with it.

Glacier

Locutus
05-16-2008, 10:34
I think it would be a better idea to just dedicate a wall somewhere in public view. That way people can see all of them, and there would be no complaints of having a picture of some hiker staring at them in their room all night. :)

TOW
05-16-2008, 10:37
Do it Ronny.............

RadioFreq
05-16-2008, 10:53
I would like to have them both but I'm afraid if I put both their pictures in the same room it may start a fire.:eek:

Hope to visit your place next year, Ron. Not sure if this would work as I'm not familiar with your layout, but as for the pictures I would suggest you locate all of them in the hallways outside the corresponding rooms. Have BJ and WD staring across the hallway at each other. :eek:

The Weasel
05-16-2008, 11:07
With a short bio with each picture.

TW

rcli4
05-16-2008, 12:54
The Omni Hotel in Jacksonville Fl. has the Elvis Suite. They have the Aerosmith room and a few others. I stayed in the Lenyrd Skynyard room. Sounds like a good idea to me. Sofaking can stay in the Baldthing laundry room:D:D:D

Clyde

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2008, 13:43
Ron, I think it is wonderful idea. You could also have a "wall of fame' in each room by taking a pic of the hikers who stay in the room and putting their trail name and the class year on the pic. It would give a unique look to each room and encourage hikers to come stay with you. Corkboard squares would be ideal for such a project.

Puppy
05-16-2008, 14:32
I think this is a cool idea - especially if you also post some type of story about the person - or what makes them a legend.

I stayed at your place this year (thanks!) and would have enjoyed seeing it.

Skyline
05-16-2008, 14:46
I wouldn't want the job of deciding who's "worthy" and who's not. Also, that list might need to expand as years go by, so how will that work?

While I like the idea of honoring "trail legends" up to a point, IMHO it could be better served by having a large plaque in the motel's "lobby." It could be added to occasionally. Those who make the cut would live up to some arbitrary criteria, I guess, or you could just list everyone who's stayed there more than X number of times?

As for "naming" the rooms, why not name them after well known places along the Trail? Ideas would be:

The Springer Room
The Tray Mountain Room
The Fontana Room
The Clingman Room
The Damascus Room
The McAfee Knob Room
The Shenandoah Room

Each room could have a framed photo of the place it is named after.

rhjanes
05-16-2008, 14:59
I wouldn't want the job of deciding who's "worthy" and who's not. Also, that list might need to expand as years go by, so how will that work?

While I like the idea of honoring "trail legends" up to a point, IMHO it could be better served by having a large plaque in the motel's "lobby." It could be added to occasionally. Those who make the cut would live up to some arbitrary criteria, I guess, or you could just list everyone who's stayed there more than X number of times?

As for "naming" the rooms, why not name them after well known places along the Trail? Ideas would be:

The Springer Room
The Tray Mountain Room
The Fontana Room
The Clingman Room
The Damascus Room
The McAfee Knob Room
The Shenandoah Room

Each room could have a framed photo of the place it is named after.

well put. Plus, please look into the cost of making the photo's "scratch and sniff". For that true hiker-funk experiance!

River Runner
05-16-2008, 16:12
Ron, sounds like an interesting idea. I'd like it. I think your idea of putting one hiker per room, instead of all on one wall is a good one. That way no one would know exactly who was or wasn't included, so no one's feelings would be hurt if they didn't make the 'wall'.

10-K
05-16-2008, 17:10
I think it would be a better idea to just dedicate a wall somewhere in public view. That way people can see all of them, and there would be no complaints of having a picture of some hiker staring at them in their room all night. :)

Exactly what I was thinking. Ever been in a resturant where they hang pics of celebs and sports figures that have ate there and autographed a pic? Like that...

rafe
05-16-2008, 17:43
Not that I'll be staying there any time soon, but I don't think I'd sleep well with images of... ahem... certain famous WB and/or AT personalities staring down at me. Thanks but no thanks. I'd suggest putting these photos in the lobby or some other public space -- but not in private rooms that people pay for.

Ron Haven
05-16-2008, 17:57
Thanks for the response and any more are welcome.I also will ask for advise on who:Dok leaving out my door for Damascue,See all of you there I can tomorrow,Thanks Ron

superman
05-16-2008, 19:01
Would the pictures include a hiking history of the person in the pictures for those who don't know why the picture is on the wall. Some folks, like me, hear this or that about one person or another but couldn't attach it to a face.
Non hikers might think it was a picture of a person they should watch out for.

Egads
05-16-2008, 19:18
I stayed in the Lenyrd Skynyard room.
Clyde

I cringe at the butchering of Lynyrd Skynyrd's name

Cuffs
05-16-2008, 22:35
Thanks for fixing that Egads, I was about to, then saw your post!

sofaking
05-16-2008, 22:42
i cringe at the mention of lynyrd skynyrd's name

Lone Wolf
05-16-2008, 23:33
i cringe at the mention of lynyrd skynyrd's name

you've already stated your stupid thoughts on this thread. **** and bow out packsniffer.

Tin Man
05-16-2008, 23:49
Ron, go ahead and get your pics, then pass them through Dino-central photoshop for ... er ... enhancing.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 23:55
you've already stated your stupid thoughts on this thread. **** and bow out packsniffer.
check your pm.

Bearpaw
05-17-2008, 00:26
Ron, I really like the idea. As long as the folks you'd like to feature are agreeable, I say go though with it. Many first-term hikers would really appreciate it, I suspect.

Lone Wolf
05-17-2008, 06:59
check your pm.

BFD :rolleyes:.....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-17-2008, 08:20
Ron, go ahead and get your pics, then pass them through Dino-central photoshop for ... er ... enhancing.:::: Dino heard firing up photoshop - sounds like a Harley wide open :::

Lilred
05-17-2008, 09:04
I like the idea of having the photo's of trail legends at your hotel. Not sure about in the rooms, but definately at least in the lobby. Someone earlier mentioned naming the rooms after places on the AT. Instead, why not name the rooms after the trail legend.
The Baltimore Jack room, the Lone Wolf room. Maybe, naming the room, with a plaque on the outside door, and having their photo in it would make more sense. If I'm staying in the Benton McKaye room, then having a pic of him in there with a little bio info would make perfect sense. Also, if you take pics of these folks without them looking straight into the camera, it wouldn't appear as if they were staring at the guests. I'm sure whatever way you do it, will be just fine. I'm just throwing out suggestions. I do like the idea.

dessertrat
05-17-2008, 13:28
i think it's dumb. why would you want a picture of some dirty hiker staring at you in a hotel room? come to think of it, i've never seen any portrait in any hotel room...lot's of horrible landscapes, still-lifes, no portraits...there's probably a reason for this, but who cares...

Yeah, if you're going to have pictures of people, why not some pin-ups of supermodels or something?

dessertrat
05-17-2008, 13:30
Non hikers might think it was a picture of a person they should watch out for.

1) Given the way some of these characters look, that is a reasonable concern.

2) Often true!:)

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 21:20
Yeah, if you're going to have pictures of people, why not some pin-ups of supermodels or something?

Which supermodel(s) has thru-hiked? :-?

mechengr
05-17-2008, 22:57
Sounds like a great idea. Hikers Hall of Fame. Oh by the way, thank David for picking us up at Wallace Gap last week after the big storm Sunday night. After the storm, transportation to pizza and beer was most appreciated.

Ron Haven
05-18-2008, 22:40
Some has mentioned having a hall of the photo's and at this time in the room where I have the computers is one wall filled with hiker photos that finished a thru hike and I just started another wall in there with pictures now.

I spoke with lots of hikers at Trail Days and they really seemed to give me a really positive go ahead with the idea.I also see in the most of suggestions here is pointing to a positive result.If some of you wouldn't mind give us some suggestions of names.

I agree,B Jack,Pirate,L Wolf,Doyal,if they are agreeable is great candidates,but I know there are many more very worthy.People such as Miss Janet are certainlly trail legends and worthy also.

I would like to put the picture in a room in which they stayed when they passed thru.And yes I think it would be terrific to put a banner across the bottom of the picture stating their name,years of their hiking and affiations of the trail they participate in,where they live,and so on.Also the idea of Dino adding something like this would also be great.

My opinion would not only give praises to the hiker for a job well done but an inspiration for others to see and admire.

Bulldawg
05-18-2008, 22:46

I honestly have to agree with this idea. I would say a nice collage of all sorts of hikers in your lobby or something. That would be really neat.

Like some people, I just wouldn't want to wake up at night with some of these guys staring at me. I like them and all, sort of look up to some of them, and live vicariously through some of them, but waking up with them looking down at me, nah!! Just my two cents worth though. It's your place, you should do what you want!

Ron Haven
05-19-2008, 10:10
I honestly have to agree with this idea. I would say a nice collage of all sorts of hikers in your lobby or something. That would be really neat.

Like some people, I just wouldn't want to wake up at night with some of these guys staring at me. I like them and all, sort of look up to some of them, and live vicariously through some of them, but waking up with them looking down at me, nah!! Just my two cents worth though. It's your place, you should do what you want!On my home page is a picture of the computer room.Look at the walls and see if you think it would be best.

http://www.havensbudgetinn.com/

NICKTHEGREEK
05-19-2008, 10:15
Some of those "heros" aren't exactly photogenic (to be exceptionally kind) why would I pay good money to have them staring at me while I sleep?

I suspect some folks carry small framed pictures of various trail "heros" with them anyway

Mrs Baggins
05-19-2008, 10:21
Thanks for the response and any more are welcome.I also will ask for advise on who:Dok leaving out my door for Damascue,See all of you there I can tomorrow,Thanks Ron

If you put up Wingfoot's picture I'll send a priest to exorcise the room :eek: And I'm not even Catholic.

Summit
05-19-2008, 16:25
Sofaking can stay in the Baldthing laundry room:D:D:D

ClydeROFLOL! :D :D :D That's too funny! :D

Bare Bear
05-20-2008, 13:24
Great idea Ron. One Wall of Fame and another Wall of Shame. You have had the postcards psoted forever in the Lobby anyways.

River Runner
05-21-2008, 01:42
Ron,

Maybe you could have little curtains made that hang on the sides of the photos. That way folks who might be creeped out by having a hiking picture hanging on the wall could just pull the curtain over it and get a good nights sleep without worrying about someone staring down from the wall at them all night long. :D

Just kidding, 'ya. ;)

Wonder what they'd think of a photo of ole Uncle Henry with the tomatoes on his shirt? :eek:

Ron Haven
05-21-2008, 19:55
Ron,

Maybe you could have little curtains made that hang on the sides of the photos. That way folks who might be creeped out by having a hiking picture hanging on the wall could just pull the curtain over it and get a good nights sleep without worrying about someone staring down from the wall at them all night long. :D

Just kidding, 'ya. ;)

Wonder what they'd think of a photo of ole Uncle Henry with the tomatoes on his shirt? :eek:Henry'd haint all of us :D

thestin
05-21-2008, 20:21
Will there be a Bill Bryson room?

What about Wild Cowboy?

Skidsteer
05-21-2008, 20:30
What about Wild Cowboy?

The Wild Cowboy room. You fall asleep in Franklin at 11 PM and wake up at Fontana.

Ron Haven
05-21-2008, 21:36
The Wild Cowboy room. You fall asleep in Franklin at 11 PM and wake up at Fontana.That would be about the size of it.

Bill Bryson :o I'm not exactly what you would call a BB fan.

Tin Man
05-21-2008, 22:39
That would be about the size of it.

Some pics could be hung on a cork board... with a bulls-eye... and maybe a few darts. :D

River Runner
05-22-2008, 03:07
That would be about the size of it.

You could have a Bill Bryson dumpster. In honor of his friend Katz who liked to dump things along the trail. :mad:

Or the Bill Bryson room could be the one reached by the yellow blazed shortcut across the parking lot... :D

River Runner
05-22-2008, 03:10
The Wild Cowboy room. You fall asleep in Franklin at 11 PM and wake up at Fontana.

It's the room hovering over the motel, just like a big ole hot air balloon. :D

boarstone
05-22-2008, 06:53

I concur here w/you on the wall(s) for public view, much nicer....:)

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 07:11
I concur here w/you on the wall(s) for public view, much nicer....:)

Some in the entryway and coffee area and some in the game room... mounted on a cork-board. Do we get a vote on which goes where? :-?