PDA

View Full Version : Backpack weight

TRIP08
05-16-2008, 00:32
Is 30# too much, including all gear and food and water for 5 days?

Thanks!

Tosto
05-16-2008, 02:09
I think a lot of the gram-weenies would say so, but I certainly have a hard time getting my pack weight below 30#, including food and water. I made up a quick Excel pie chart with my items and their weight and the bulk of it is in consumables.
Outside of food and water, I think the weight of your pack is sometimes proportional to the amount of money you want to spend on gear. "Lightweight" refers to your wallet just as much as it refers to gear! Unless you start DIYing...

What time of year are you packing for?

hopefulhiker
05-16-2008, 07:47
It is sort of subjective.. If you think it is too much then you can do something about it.. My pack weight was 32 when I started out and during the summer it was knocked down to 26,27...

TRIP08
05-16-2008, 08:41
I think a lot of the gram-weenies would say so, but I certainly have a hard time getting my pack weight below 30#, including food and water. I made up a quick Excel pie chart with my items and their weight and the bulk of it is in consumables.
Outside of food and water, I think the weight of your pack is sometimes proportional to the amount of money you want to spend on gear. "Lightweight" refers to your wallet just as much as it refers to gear! Unless you start DIYing...

What time of year are you packing for?

I definitely agree. My gear seems to be so heavy compared to others, but it was very cheap.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 08:44
you can't carry five days worth of water...

Wags
05-16-2008, 09:57
frodo and samwyze did

TRIP08
05-16-2008, 10:22

As far as water, are there frequently springs along the way? I have some water purification tablets (Iodine) that I'm wondering if I should bring.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 10:47
As far as water, are there frequently springs along the way? I have some water purification tablets (Iodine) that I'm wondering if I should bring.
where 'along the way' are you referring? a guide book might be helpful.

dessertrat
05-16-2008, 11:06

Thanks!

No! That's 30 pounds one day, about 28 the next, and so forth. Not too much at all.

The Weasel
05-16-2008, 11:26
Depends on your body weight. Is the 30# "FSO" - "from skin out", including all worn items and items not in your pack? If so, that's a good weight for an average size man, and yes, I'm a 'gram weenie'. My FSO weight, spring/summer/fall in places where it rains is about 9# for packed gear, 4# for worn items, 10# for food and 4# for starting water, or 27# total, close to yours.

TW

MamaCat
05-16-2008, 13:28
It all depends on you. I've backpacked with several people that never know how much their pack weighs. I would ask (loving to talk about all kinds of gear and such) and they would say "probably more than it needs to be" and that's it. So it is very individual.

Are you asking because your worried about carrying the weight or just to see if it matches up to what most carry?

Hooch
05-16-2008, 13:45
Is 30# too much, including all gear and food and water for 5 days? It's not too much if you can carry it in relative comfort without too much difficulty. I never weight my pack. Ever. After I have it packed, I just lift it up, put it on my back and see how it feels. If it feels too heavy, I unpack, see what I can do without, discard it and start the process all over again until my pack has a good, comfortable feel to it. Try it, you may be surprised at how well this works. :D

neo
05-16-2008, 13:46

Thanks!
30 lbs a decent wieght:cool:neo

bigcranky
05-16-2008, 13:46
30 pounds is a reasonable load, if you carry a couple of liters of water and 4+ days of food. (You'll eat the first breakfast and the last dinner in town, most likely.)

Bring some sort of water treatment -- iodine works, as does Aqua Mira, Polar Pure, etc. Aqua Mira has gained in popularity because many people don't like the taste of iodine, but YMMV.

If you are hiking along the AT this time of year, there is water at regular intervals on the trail.

TRIP08
05-16-2008, 21:14
30 pounds is a reasonable load, if you carry a couple of liters of water and 4+ days of food. (You'll eat the first breakfast and the last dinner in town, most likely.)

Bring some sort of water treatment -- iodine works, as does Aqua Mira, Polar Pure, etc. Aqua Mira has gained in popularity because many people don't like the taste of iodine, but YMMV.

If you are hiking along the AT this time of year, there is water at regular intervals on the trail.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to bring Iodine tablets then, since they have several uses.

TRIP08
05-16-2008, 21:15
Are you asking because your worried about carrying the weight or just to see if it matches up to what most carry?

Worried about the weight. I was reading other posts about lower weights and I was concerned that 30-32# might be too much.

Bearpaw
05-16-2008, 21:22
Worried about the weight. I was reading other posts about lower weights and I was concerned that 30-32# might be too much.

Most of those weights are "base weights", meaning they are a gear weight before you add in food, water, and other consumables such as fuel, sunscreen, water treatment, etc. It's a good way to compare weights in an apples-to-apples manner, but can sometimes be a bit misleading.

30 #'s for 5 days food, plus a couple of quarts of water is just fine.

Stir Fry
05-16-2008, 21:37

Thanks!

I'm doing 7 day next week and my pack is 37# with everything. 30# is a good weight for 5 day trip.

Tinker
05-16-2008, 22:21
Including water? For five days? :p

I know what you mean - including water to start.

30 pounds is fine as long as you can carry it comfortably. If you have an ill-fitting pack it can be a burden. If your pack fits perfectly, you'll hardly notice 30 lbs. after two days.

shoe
05-17-2008, 23:13
Earlier this year I was at about 34 with food for 4 days and water. Of course I would like it to be lighter but don't have the funds at this time. And my pack fits great which helps.

take-a-knee
05-17-2008, 23:41

Thanks!

It all depends on how much you weigh, how much you can deadlift, and how fast your one mile run time is. In other words, if you are a couch potato, five pounds may be too much. If you are really fit, 50# may not be a problem, though you'd be faster with thirty.

Having said that, a 15# base weight is reasonable (that's what mine is), add 10# for 5 days food, plus 2qts water, and you are right at 30#. So it sounds like you are off to a good start. Many posters here start with a 30# base and are asking for advice to reduce it, so you are ahead of the curve.

4eyedbuzzard
05-17-2008, 23:53

Thanks!

If you are figuring by what most seem to consider standard - roughly 2 lbs of food/day for 5 days and 2 liters of water at 4.5 lbs then your pack and carried gear = 30 - 14.5 = 15.5 lbs. Pretty darn light if you ask me. I don't carry that much food, probably more like 1 1/2 lbs per day, and if I know there's a reliable water source within 2 to 3 miles I'll go with less water as well.

I'm at about 18 lbs base weight right now(that does not include my first worn layer of clothes), but I carry about 1.5 lbs in luxury/comfort items I could go without, as well as clothing appropriate for May New Hampshire weather - probably again 1 to 1.5 lbs more than what might be safe in warmer areas.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 23:53
As was mentioned earlier, percent of body weight is more important than total weight. 100 pound person carrying 30 pounds will feel very heavy. 180 pound person carrying 30 pounds will feel light. If you are hiking with someone else AND sharing stuff, then balance the load between the two of you by percentage of body weight.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 23:56
I have found that whole two pounds of food per day per person is nonsense unless you are: a) a long-distance hiker and been on the trail a while; or, b) on the trail of gluttony. :)

Kerosene
05-18-2008, 00:48
I have found that whole two pounds of food per day per person is nonsense unless you are: a) a long-distance hiker and been on the trail a while; or, b) on the trail of gluttony. :)I concur. My appetite decreases with intense exercise for 1-2 weeks. I seemed to always have too much food until the past few years, when I cut back to something closer to 1.5 pounds per day.

30 pounds with 5 days of supplies and 2 liters of water is pretty good, especially if you're in reasonable shape and weigh at least 150 pounds (20% of body weight). You can certainly handle a higher percentage, but you'll feel better at the end of a long day and be able to recover faster if you can keep the percentage around 20%.

Finally, think about setting up a food cache 2-3 days into your hike. My opinion is that it's worth an hour of additional mileage to reduce my pack weight by 5 pounds for 3 days.

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 00:57
... you'll feel better at the end of a long day and be able to recover faster if you can keep the percentage around 20%.

Finally, think about setting up a food cache 2-3 days into your hike. My opinion is that it's worth an hour of additional mileage to reduce my pack weight by 5 pounds for 3 days.

20% is about right. Not too heavy or light. It will solve your plight.

An hour mileage for a cache? Car mileage, must be. :-?

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 23:17

Thanks!

I think 30 is pretty good. I'd suggest the Osprey Atmost65 pack. I hiked pretty much with 30# the entire trip

Bare Bear
07-27-2008, 23:26
It all depends on what you are used to. I carry a 55# pack at times but it includes a frozen box of wine, good food, etc if I am only going to hike 5-10 miles in then basecamp (Myakka River is a good example) then day hike around. On the AT I try to get it down to 37 with five days food. I was down to 27# the last third of the AT in 2006 but the weather (temps) were perfect at the end except for constant rain. I froze on Katahdin in 55F due to the wet and wind of 30-40 mph. It all depends on your fears.

kayak karl
07-28-2008, 00:13
If your pack fits perfectly, you'll hardly notice 30 lbs. after two days.
Thats a REALLY good point. i went back to the outfitters to help me adjust my loaded pack. made a big difference

BackTrack1
07-28-2008, 06:58
Backpack weight.
Im heading out for a 7 day hike on the LT tommaro,
my pack weighs 33lbs, and i even have a couple beers in there.
i dont think 30 lbs is to much,

enjoy your hike!!

Plodderman
07-28-2008, 07:20
30 lbs is fine. Some will be less and some more but that is a comfortable weight.

JAK
07-28-2008, 08:16
30# is ok if it includes clothing worn, or if the clothing worn you are not including is not much more. I would say your biggest concern at this point should not be reducing weight further, but making sure you don't have extra clothing that will just get in the way. Make sure you don't have any two of the same thing, except socks and underwear maybe. Another way to put it is that you should be able to comfortably wear all your clothing at once, including your sleeping clothes. That's a good rule of thumb.

hoyawolf
08-18-2008, 22:28
i have spent up to 30 days walking with 80 pounds on my back, radios, ammunition, batteries, food, water - all the while having to chase the taliban.

that keeps things in perspective when going out for funsies.

Bob S
08-18-2008, 22:39

Try and tell Chuck Norris that…

Odd Thomas
08-18-2008, 23:28
frodo and samwyze did

they wern't human :p

X-LinkedHiker
08-19-2008, 00:28
There is no way your bringing enough water for 5 days and not carrying 30lbs. But I am sure you're carrying just enough to get there and refill and find more and such. 30-40 is about right at the start of a 5 day trip be more like 25 by the time your done. If not lighter than that,

X-LinkedHiker
08-19-2008, 00:31
I should have mentioned that my pack weighs 6.3 lbs empty.

oldfivetango
08-19-2008, 09:19
i have spent up to 30 days walking with 80 pounds on my back, radios, ammunition, batteries, food, water - all the while having to chase the taliban.

that keeps things in perspective when going out for funsies.

The good news in all that is that nobody criticized you for
carrying a firearm and you didn't have to worry that someone
would report you to the authorities if they saw one.:D
Salute!
Oldfivetango

Mags
08-19-2008, 09:38

Thanks!

I am guessing about 20 lbs base weight? That's pretty good over all. Better than most people for sure..esp. those new to backpacking and/or LD hiking.

Go out and hike, adjust as appropriate. You'll be fine.

dessertrat
08-19-2008, 09:39

Thanks!

No, it is not, to put it simply. You are doing pretty well at that weight, no matter what some folks might say.

dessertrat
08-19-2008, 09:42
I have found that whole two pounds of food per day per person is nonsense unless you are: a) a long-distance hiker and been on the trail a while; or, b) on the trail of gluttony. :)

Ditto. You will likely not be as hungry as you expect to be for the first two or three days, if you are in strenuous terrain. You will end up filling up on water. I do recommend carrying some powdered drink mix (with calories) so that you can get some calories while drinking.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-19-2008, 09:55
Depends on your body weight. Is the 30# "FSO" - "from skin out", including all worn items and items not in your pack? If so, that's a good weight for an average size man, and yes, I'm a 'gram weenie'. My FSO weight, spring/summer/fall in places where it rains is about 9# for packed gear, 4# for worn items, 10# for food and 4# for starting water, or 27# total, close to yours.

TW
Does FSO include body hair, beard etc?

slow
08-19-2008, 18:27

Thanks!

If you think right and buy smart,you can drop to 24# easy.:)

rafe
08-19-2008, 19:26

Not at all. OTOH, there's no reason to carry 5 days worth of water on the AT. But 30 pounds, including 5 days of food and, say, three liters of water, is just fine. Three liters should suffice, just about anywhere on the AT.

hoyawolf
08-19-2008, 19:51
i wouldn't worry about what weight you have. it will sort itself out by the first maildrop!

darkage
08-20-2008, 23:12
yeah, i have some decent gear regarding weight and i still tend to hit the mid 30's up to as high as 42-45 lbs .... Most of that extra weight in simply water ... i have a gland issue and sweat like a pig ...So running out of water is a very very bad thing for me more so than others ... but i'm 6'4 and 230 lbs .. "started 2008 at 245" .. and i can carry the weight no problem ... like some say, its all about what you can carry without issues ...

Btw, the 3 liter comment .... i carry allmost double ... and normally run out of water before i can refill .... Thats how much i drink when hiking ... i normally try to carry a gallon+1 liter of backup/food water ... "Excessive to some maybe" .. but again, personally ... i need that much.

88BlueGT
08-21-2008, 00:06
extremely excessive IMO but like you said, if you really feel you need it than go for it. Noone knows your own body like you do.

darkage
08-21-2008, 01:14
Yeah, i prolly should also note ... i've had 5 kidney stones ... and drinking that much its still hard for me to maintain a good color in my bio breaks ... But yeah, each trip i begin with at least 5 liter's of water ... which is gone within 10-15 miles ... "This is on peak summer days mind you ..." Fall/spring i'd consume much less.

minnesotasmith
08-21-2008, 05:24

NY, because the AT runs down so low in that state, not to mention eastern PA and NJ can be iffy at times.

I went from carrying 2-3 liters of water on the rest of the Trail to as much as FIVE in NY in summer, BC I ran all out of patience with running out of water between water sources.

fiddlehead
08-21-2008, 06:21
Some of you should learn the art of cameling up.
Drink a gallon at your water source and you won't need to carry any. (maybe a pint for emergency but chances are you won't need it)

I know it's not easy to drink a gallon. But it's not easy to carry a gallon either.
Same Same (but different)

darkage
08-21-2008, 14:42
In my stomach, or on my back .... Only time i do that is hours before i start a long hike ... maybe minnesota hit the nail on the head there ... i live in NE pa and thats where 90% of my hiking right now is done ... and thats exactly it .. i was tired of getting to a water source to either walk back down the mountain or pass it off to the next source .... next spring i'm starting in georgia .... i doubt i'll carry that much then.

minnesotasmith
08-21-2008, 15:41
Drink a gallon at your water source and you won't need to carry any. (maybe a pint for emergency but chances are you won't need it)

Having to carry 5 liters of water between water sources was WITH cameling up (2-2.5 liters, to be sure, but that was all I could drink between waking and hiking, if I didn't want to dawdle away a big chunk of the day) in the mornings. Of course, it was breaking 100 degrees day after day, with some springs/small streams (the ones you'd want to drink water from) dried up, so that might have had something to do with it...

take-a-knee
08-21-2008, 19:03

I know it's not easy to drink a gallon. But it's not easy to carry a gallon either.
Same Same (but different)

It isn't easy to drink a gallon and it ain't too smart either. If it is really hot (over 90 F) and you are walking with a pack then your blood supply will be shunted to your muscles and away from your digestive tract. You would likely have to sit for quite a while to actually consume a gallon and it would likely make you nauseated (due to the lack of blood flow). There is also a very real chance of giving yourself hyponatremia (low blood sodium) which can be fatal (cardiac arrythmias). You are possible in an electrolyte depleted condition in the first place, gulping a gallon would worsen it.

rafe
08-21-2008, 19:11

Drink a gallon at one sitting? Wow. I don't think I've ever done that. Not sure I could, if I tried.

slow
08-21-2008, 21:03
Just last weekend i walked in FL 8 mi with 64 oz and was fine.
Water is way overrated in my mind.

take-a-knee
08-21-2008, 22:41
Just last weekend i walked in FL 8 mi with 64 oz and was fine.
Water is way overrated in my mind.

Sure, water is overrated in the minds of the average american, that's why they hardly ever touch the stuff. Trust me, it ain't overrated in Iraq.

You were likely quite dehydrated after your eight miles, but if you are like the average person, you live that way.

slow
08-21-2008, 23:12
Sure, water is overrated in the minds of the average american, that's why they hardly ever touch the stuff. Trust me, it ain't overrated in Iraq.

You were likely quite dehydrated after your eight miles, but if you are like the average person, you live that way.

Let's some it up real quick with you,,army boy .. i live in attic's and have for the past 25yrs ..at 130 for 8-10 a day IN FL.I think i have a CLUE.

le loupe
08-21-2008, 23:23
During the week, I drink 2 1/2 liters a day and I do virtually no walking as I'm on a computer all day.

On the weekend I notice a body change as I don't have a water bottle handy and I'm more active.

I would agree that most people walk around dehydrated.

I think it was Tom Clancy's Clear & Present Danger that essentially said - If you don't have to pee, you're not drinking enough

Mags
08-21-2008, 23:26
I find a good rule of thumb is 1 ltr per 5 miles. Worked well for me anyway.

Also, the average backpacker does not really have to worry about hyponatremia (except maybe in desert hiking). The average backpacker diet is so high in sodium and the physical exertion level is not exessively high (like running) in a short period of time.

Something I wrote many moons ago:

Hmm..a similar discussion is being held on another
hiking list. My own .05 worth:

As always, the usual disclaimer: , I am not a
professional medical person in any way, shape, or
form. I have little medical training (EMT-A course
many moons ago). My only knowledge comes from reading
and personal experience. Consult a person who really
knows what they are talkin about (like OB..who **IS**
an MD! :D)

Having said that...

I would think this condition would not affect hikers
as much as say runners, cyclists and other endurance
type atheletes who exert a lot of energy in a
(relatively) short period of time. Most hikers' have a
diet that consists of eating food that is high in
sodium for a good chunk of the day. Their body
probably has a good mix of water and salt to retain
said water w/o "flooding" the body. One of my favorite
items to eat on hikes is chips. I crave them. Based on
how many of my friends eagerly pass around my cache of
chips, I'd say they do too. :)

In my brief time in the long distance running world I
have noticed that I **CRAVE** salt. I am sweating up a
storm. I want pretzels, chips and the oh-so-delcious
chicken noodle soup. As with many activities, your
body tells you what it wants. I suspect with all that
sweating, I am getting rid off too much salt in my
body. The soup esp. goes down like mana from heaven.

Many people new to long distance running make the
mistake of taking in too much water and not enough
food. Have heard stories of people suffering from
hyponatremia during events.

In the hiking world, I suspsect hyponatremia may
affect people doing extensive desert hiking (ala the
PCT) who are drinking too much water and not eating
enough (due to heat, it is common for many people to
not feel like eating), and the fringe group of hikers
who blur the line between running and hiking. They
are working up a huge sweat and may or may not be
eating enough food to go with the water they are
drinking.

To make this even more PCT related, guess eating
those nice salty chips to go with all the wate would
help alot! I really think it is easy for desert
trekkers to not feel like eating and drink too much
water.

Grab some Pringles in town. Easier to get for
re-supply purposes than many of the so-called sports
drinks. :)

fiddlehead
08-21-2008, 23:31
Drink a gallon at one sitting? Wow. I don't think I've ever done that. Not sure I could, if I tried.

Learned about cameling up on the PCT in '96. At Scissors crossing there was water. The next water was 28 miles ahead i believe. We got there at noon and it was about 100 degrees.

We sat around for the next 4 hours and ate and drank as much water as we could. Set out climbing around 4 pm. Went 12 more miles that day and camped. I drank a little when i got there, had a cup of tea, cooked my dinner and had 2 1/3 litres left for the next day when we got up at 4 am and hiked the remaining 16 miles to water at noon again.

Most carried 7+ litres. I carried 3. Didn't die, wasn't thirsty and had a little left over when i got to barrel springs.
Started doing that more and more and learned how to enjoy the desert: don't go out in the sun when it is at it's hottest.
Use the early morning and late afternoon and evening to do your miles
Sit around and drink a lot at lunchtime. (try to hit water at lunch and dry-camp)

Works for me. (just trying to pass on some things i've learned to help make folks hikes more enjoyable)

I've seen people carry 2 gallons and go out there in that heat. We started at the same place, and ended at the same place. To each his own. Up to you! HYOH.

Also learning to find water is important of course. I won't go into that here but also figured out a few tricks in that regard.

Marta
08-22-2008, 06:51
I do a more modest cameling up thing. My normal water consumption for a medium day of hiking (10-15 miles) in moderate temperatures is 5-6 liters. In the morning I consume 1-2 liters before I even leave camp. Same thing in the evening. During the day, then, I only need to consume 1-2 liters. I don't have to carry a lot of water, nor do I have to spend a lot of time looking for, or even thinking about, water while I'm hiking.

At least one liter of water is mixed with Cytomax, which boosts my energy level, seems to help prevent muscle soreness, and masks any weird funky tastes in the water (which are especially noticeable now because the water sources are so low).

One of the reasons I prefer bottles to bladders is that it's easier for me to keep track of how much I've drunk that day, and how much water I have left. (The real reason, though, is that bottles are easier to keep clean.)

rafe
08-22-2008, 08:28
One of the reasons I prefer bottles to bladders is that it's easier for me to keep track of how much I've drunk that day, and how much water I have left.

Yes, that's something I worry about somewhat, using a bladder. But you sort of get a feel for it after a while. I carry a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle as a spare.

(The real reason, though, is that bottles are easier to keep clean.)Not an issue if the bladder only sees clean filtered water.

Marta
08-22-2008, 08:34
Not an issue if the bladder only sees clean filtered water.

Which I don't do. I don't filter, and I do add drink mixes to my water. Hence the preference for bottles, especially wide-mouthed ones, like Gatorade bottles.

I haven't ever compared the empty weight of a couple of Gatorade bottle to a Camelback. I doubt there's all that much difference.

JohnnyB
08-22-2008, 09:39
I haven't ever compared the empty weight of a couple of Gatorade bottle to a Camelback. I doubt there's all that much difference.

There is not much difference in weight, even between Gatorade bottles and Platypus bladders. (Provided you're using a hydration tube with the bladder.)

However, there is a big difference with volume in the pack.

I normally drink from a 2 liter Platypus, have another 2 liter bladder for camp use (which takes almost zero pack space when empty), and carry a narrow wide mouth 20oz container for drink mixes.

Analogman
08-22-2008, 09:57

Thanks!

It's only too heavy if you can't comfortably carry it. If you're 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs. then 30 lbs. might be a bit much. If you're 6' 2" and 250 lbs. then 30 will probably seem like much less of a burden.

Wolf - 23000
08-22-2008, 11:21
It's only too heavy if you can't comfortably carry it. If you're 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs. then 30 lbs. might be a bit much. If you're 6' 2" and 250 lbs. then 30 will probably seem like much less of a burden.

What are you nuts??? :rolleyes: 30 pounds is a pain in the butt carrying around the country. I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds and I hate carrying 30 pounds.

Carry 15 at the most. Any more, you might as well stay home and weight lift.

Wolf

Mags
08-22-2008, 13:20

Wolf

But..3 liters of wine alone weighs about 7 lbs. Gotta have priorities...

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15706&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

(A buddy of mine drinking the wine I hauled in)

the goat
08-22-2008, 14:38
But..3 liters of wine alone weighs about 7 lbs. Gotta have priorities...

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15706&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

(A buddy of mine drinking the wine I hauled in)

amen to that!

one must have their priorities properly aligned!

JAK
08-22-2008, 14:44
It's only too heavy if you can't comfortably carry it. If you're 5' tall and weigh 100 lbs. then 30 lbs. might be a bit much. If you're 6' 2" and 250 lbs. then 30 will probably seem like much less of a burden.I think the average 5' tall 100 pounder could carry 30 pounds more comfortably over long distances than the average 6' 2" and 250 pounder. But your right, 30 pounds isn't too much, but 99% of folks will certainly feel the difference between 20 pounds and 30 pounds at the end of the day. I avoid it when I can, but suck it up when I can't, as in winter, or hiking with my daughter.

rafe
08-22-2008, 14:48

That's a bit extreme, Wolf. But you knew that.

the goat
08-22-2008, 14:55

Wolf

my food bag weighs about that.

sweetpeastu
08-22-2008, 16:44
I've been known to carry 30 poounds on an extended weekender trip (albeit, that is normally my winter weight). I'd say you're doin just fine.

As of late, I've stopped weighing my pack. I pack what I know I need.....and i'd rather not know how heavy my pack is anymore.

sweetpeastu
08-22-2008, 16:46
6 feet at 250 and you're crying about 30 pounds of gear? I'm 5'9 and female (and thin--you don't need to know what I weigh) and I don't cry over 30 lbs. :) Talk about weight weenies

take-a-knee
08-22-2008, 17:21
What are you nuts??? :rolleyes: 30 pounds is a pain in the butt carrying around the country. I'm 6'2 and 200 pounds and I hate carrying 30 pounds.

Wolf

Sounds like you need a good weightlifting routine, I reccommend www.crossfit.com

Wolf - 23000
08-22-2008, 18:57
That's a bit extreme, Wolf. But you knew that.

That's not extreme. With the news gear and a little brain power, 15 pounds is well do able.

Wolf

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2008, 23:09

Ain't it a Pizzer?

I just did some gearing up with some new products and although I am not trying to do 5 days I got the pack weight with food at 15 pounds! Now I have to get the body weight down -216 now .... and very out of shape. It's time.

To better answer the question of 30 lbs. And many of the previous posts did a great job. With today's tech, know how, American ingenuity, and the resources here - one can knock some of that weight out when looking at the big four. Going light can mean a few dollars ... but be frugal and it won't be expensive.