PDA

View Full Version : Where do you work?

SGT Hippie
05-16-2008, 07:35
I can't find a better place to put this post than "General," where do you guys (the hiking type crowd) work?

The reason I ask, I'm a two-time deployed soldier getting ready to return as a free man. Free in the sense that I'll be done with the National Guard and ready to return to the normalicy of civilian life. I'll be hiking the trail in the Spring of '09, but till then I'll need a job. Thanks to them I don't have a degree, and every freaking job app. for working in a forest/conservation group wants one.

What to do? :confused:

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 07:38
Hay sarge... you should qualify for unemployment after your discharge.. take the money and hike

Frau
05-16-2008, 07:44
I teach, coach, and have a mobile dog grooming business. Teachging is IDEAL for the outdoor life. Around here the only non-degree/forestry type jobs are occupied by local folks who drive the dump trucks, mow and do other repairs. The NFS even contracts out road grading now, to a guy who comes from WV.

Nessmuk has done many things including as a ropes and wilderness course instructor for juvenile convicts (he had no degree, just lots of experience)--until he serverely broke his ankle. He went to nursing school and now can work wherever and whenever he likes. (He takes lots of 4 days weekend throughout the summer.) His choice: he is back at the juvenile correctional facilty in the medical dept. We are heading out for Trail Days here in a few hours.

If you have education benefits take some classes while preparing for your hike. You'll be that much closer to you dream job!

Frau

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 07:45
healthcare is a great choice

oops56
05-16-2008, 07:45
Hay sarge... you should qualify for unemployment after your discharge.. take the money and hike
Unemployment and hiking at the same time no work must report every week in person

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 07:49
i just call in every two weeks and communicate with a machine hahaha and dont get on any moral high horse, unemployment compensation is an earned benefit, not a handout

Cookerhiker
05-16-2008, 07:50
Unemployment and hiking at the same time no work must report every week in person

I think that depends on where you live. Some states allow you to check in on-line.

Sarge, the Park Service received a spike in resources starting this year; it's all part of their upcoming 100 year anniversary. Have you looked into seasonal jobs?

MOWGLI
05-16-2008, 07:57

Sarge, the Park Service received a spike in resources starting this year; it's all part of their upcoming 100 year anniversary. Have you looked into seasonal jobs?

I know the other Sarge around here has. :sun

Hooch
05-16-2008, 08:00
......where do you guys (the hiking type crowd) work?

healthcare is a great choiceYes it is. I'm a former active duty Marine now working in the Trauma ICU at a Level I trauma center as a registered nurse/registered respiratory therapist. Life is good. :D

superman
05-16-2008, 08:03
When I came home from Vietnam I went to college where I was as welcome as the plague. I married my ex-wife in my junior year. Then I re-enlisted.
If I had it to do over, I would have taken a year to decompress...maybe hike the AT as I had almost done in 68. I still would have gone to college...when I was ready. I wouldn't have gotten married to that woman at that time. I was hell bent to jump start my life and my career so as to catch up to the slackers who didn't join up.
If you've been in the **** be sure to take time for yourself. IMHO

SGT Hippie
05-16-2008, 08:43
I just checked the USAJOBS.gov and found a temp Ranger job, though in the west. Maybe I'll just take the chance and see how it goes. (Crossing fingers with Veteran's Preference).

Any other ideas?

sofaking
05-16-2008, 08:46
community college...

TN_Hiker
05-16-2008, 08:57
Hey Superman......thank you so much for your service. I feel for the Vietnam era vets returning home and being treated like crap -- that is so wrong on so many levels. I was in 5th grade in '75 and can remember how sadden I felt for our returning vets and the so called "welcome" they got. SGT Hippie, Hooch and others: didn't want to leave you out. KNOW we appreciate your service as well.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2008, 09:03
Since you are 24 yo and have your whole life ahead of you, I would suggest you ultimately look into training in a healthcare-related field because it is a growing field where jobs are not hard to find.

Until your 2009 hike, if you are unable to find other employment, try security-type work. Your recent weapons and tactical training will make you an attractive candidate to such companies. The downside to this is there is usually a dress code for such work and a fellow with moniker Sgt Hippie may not want to cut his hair to specs :D

Time To Fly 97
05-16-2008, 09:03
Hike and hang out for a year showing residence in one place (have someone cover utilities, etc. for you). Then get some cash job off the books and get a free ride to community college because you show no income. Pick a major that could enhance your vocation of choice. Buckle down and take as many classes as you can at once. I finished my associates degree from a community college in 1.5 years (including summer school) after I returned from the AF. It was easy compared to the AF and I ended up going on for more education. You probably should do it now and get it over with, or you may risk feeling this angst for the rest of your working life.

Happy hiking!

TTF

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 09:22
A fews year back I found myself once again an unemployed computer programmer. It was just after 911 and the so called tech bubble burst. I was able to get a $1000 grant for CNA training and my plan was to use that certification to goto work in a hospital that had an RN program. Those plans were put on hold when a job in Detroit just fell in my lap. I might have thumbed my nose at the idiots in the software world but at the time I had an onerous child support obligation. Fortunately that job allowed me to dispose of the obligation but I now find myself in the same boat but in much shallower waters.

I only earned 10/hr in the nursing home, it was hard work but absolutely one of the most fulfilling jobs I have ever had

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 09:23
I'm taking a hike to reevaluate my plans

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 09:30
BTW i too am a veteran but with no standing as my 4yrs in the AF were during the Carter administration, a period when relative calm and peace prevailed.

ki0eh
05-16-2008, 09:30

The way I see it, do something useful because the world already has too many paper pushers.

To name one thing you might not initially have thought of, water and wastewater system operators' jobs won't be exported to China and there will be growth in job opportunities as folks retire. It's not an easy job because you need a good head for figuring as well as the ability to do hard work both inside and outside and some plumbing/mechanical/electrical ability. Downside for backpacking is there's usually not much vacation time. So just a random thought.

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 09:34
one more ramble here.... I will never forget when I was in tech school at Sheppard AFB the iranians in pilot training sharing our dormitory and telling us airmen that we must respect them, we shoulda beat their asses

Seeker
05-16-2008, 09:49
homeland security is still hiring, as is the border patrol. and take the postal exam. also check your PM.

Fiddleback
05-16-2008, 10:05
one more ramble here.... I will never forget when I was in tech school at Sheppard AFB the iranians in pilot training sharing our dormitory and telling us airmen that we must respect them, we shoulda beat their asses

Yup! From our strongest ally in the Middle East (nearly on par with Israel) to our most intransigent 'enemy' in that area. I wonder how that happened?:-?

As to the OP, jobs are where you find them and sometimes they find you by falling into your lap. But when talking about taking time off for a thru, the key becomes 'saving.' Fortunately, one of the best opportunities for saving afforded to single young people is the military. Living expenses are covered and, depending on the individual situation, nearly all the income is disposable. Many come out of their first enlistment with quite a bank roll.

In any case, if money is a concern, sooner may be better than later for the thru hike. Disposable income, as a percentage of total income, often drops the first decade or two of employment as families, houses, 'bills', etc. are accumulated.

Good luck, SGT Hippie -- and thanks for serving. Don't forget to invest in yourself. Very few go very far on a high school education only.

FB

Bear Cables
05-16-2008, 10:11
I teach, coach, and have a mobile dog grooming business. Teachging is IDEAL for the outdoor life. Frau

I am also a teacher, PE! Soon to be a retired teacher! I can do anything for 9 more months. :banana

Bear Cables
05-16-2008, 10:14
Doesn't the government pay for your education after military service? If not apply for a PEL grant and get a degree. My son has attended a state university with a PEL grant. It pays all of his tuition and fees.

Whoa Bear
05-16-2008, 10:28
I can tell you that the state of Virginia wants a four year degree in forestry to work for them and NFS/NPS is usually looking for Masters degrees for full time jobs because so many people apply for them. I'm thinking school on a PEL grant would not be bad at all.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 10:43
Teachging is IDEAL for the outdoor life.
Frau
heh heh heh...C-

le loupe
05-16-2008, 11:14
unemployment benefits can often be extended if you are going to school...

SweetAss03
05-16-2008, 11:23
"Thanks to them I don't have a degree..."

So let me get this right. It is the governments fault that YOU failed to get a degree?

I guess they don't teach initiative, motivation, or self-responsibility anymore.

I'm sure somehow it is the governments fault. Maybe they should have hand fed it to you. After all we are living in an everyone-gets-a-trophy world.

SweetAss

Big Sky
05-16-2008, 11:25
Interesting topic! I am a graphic designer for a small company. I sit in my windowless office all day looking at a computer screen. During the huge amounts of downtime I browse all my Internet forums to keep my mind from rotting away. I do love art, but I cannot stand to stay in an office for the rest of my life.

Therefore, in fall 2009 I am going back to school to be a vet and work with reptiles. Before I do, I am taking 6 months off to hike the trail with my boyfriend :)

Gray Blazer
05-16-2008, 11:28

So let me get this right. It is the governments fault that YOU failed to get a degree?

I guess they don't teach initiative, motivation, or self-responsibility anymore.

I'm sure somehow it is the governments fault. Maybe they should have hand fed it to you. After all we are living in an everyone-gets-a-trophy world.

SweetAss
We're all victims!! :rolleyes:

Alligator
05-16-2008, 11:30
Therefore, in fall 2009 I am going back to school to be a vet and work with reptiles. Before I do, I am taking 6 months off to hike the trail with my boyfriend :)I know a vet who went back to school to become a wildlife biologist:-?. He's got an awesome job in Alaska. He has a PhD.

Big Sky
05-16-2008, 11:35
I know a vet who went back to school to become a wildlife biologist:-?. He's got an awesome job in Alaska. He has a PhD.

Oh wow how awesome for him! I would love to live in Alaska but I know my boyfriend would never want to live there. He hates the cold and would never survive ;)

Locutus
05-16-2008, 11:39

SweetAss

Jay and he should hike together. Perfect pair.

hurryinghoosier
05-16-2008, 11:49
Search the web for "Helmets to Hardhats" for an apprenticeship in the union construction industry. Great pay, free education, and you can draw veterans benefits while you work during the day and attend night school.
This is a nationally recognized program that has placed 10s of thousands of returning servicemen and women. Thanks for your service.
Ben

Fiddleback
05-16-2008, 12:10
Doesn't the government pay for your education after military service?

No. It might be a good idea, but no the government does not 'pay for your education.' There is a contribution towards veteran's schooling but it is both dollar and time limited and even restricts what 'schooling' you can apply the benefits.

There is currently a more generous GI education bill working its way thru Congress...some of the Presidential candidates support it, some don't. I believe the current Administration is opposed.

FB

NICKTHEGREEK
05-16-2008, 12:13
i just call in every two weeks and communicate with a machine hahaha and dont get on any moral high horse, unemployment compensation is an earned benefit, not a handout
You are beneath contempt.

karoberts
05-16-2008, 12:22
Wow, it sounds like a great opportunity to work on getting your degree. You have a whole year to load upon classes. You can take two summer terms, fall term, and winter intersession term. You can get a whole year of college under your belt before you start your '09 hike.

It is really a mistake to wait to get your degree. It only gets harder to go back, so do it now!

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 12:23
everyones entitled to their own opinion nick but im laughin my ass of all the way down the trail on your dime hahahaha

SGT Hippie
05-16-2008, 12:31
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I can hear my father cheer after every comment ending in "more schooling" :p

As for:

SweetAss

Kinda spiteful, ya think? Getting deployed consistently to the point of 5 years out of 6, so I couldn't go to school, does seem appropriate of a blame card. Even the guys here would say I'm one of the hardest working in my unit. On the off time I completed a year at George Mason University, I'm not a slacker and despise the "now" generation. Please don't pair me with them, thank you.

No more burning, you don't know me yet.

Red Hat
05-16-2008, 12:52
retired school teacher here, now I lead Weight Watcher meetings, at least until June when I take my leave of absence to hike!

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 12:56
Jay and he should hike together. Perfect pair.
hell yah locusta, a couple free birds enjoyin spendin ur hard earned bux hahaha thanks dude

Mother's Finest
05-16-2008, 13:05
hell yah locusta, a couple free birds enjoyin spendin ur hard earned bux hahaha thanks dude

Jay Mosier,

You sir are a parasite.

mf

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 13:11
but a free parasite, thanks for the fatty sweetie puff puff

SweetAss03
05-16-2008, 13:13
Dude, you signed the contract knowing that you may or may not get deployed.

I signed the same contract knowing the same thing. I didn't get to go to college while serving either... It is pretty much a given being a grunt. However I took my G.I. Bill and left the Army and went to college. Thank you tax payers for "helping" me through college. Notice the "Helping" I finished the contract that I signed, I did the paper work to get into college and I did the class work. And Yes the G.I. paid for every penny of my 4 year public eduction degree.

Then I hiked the A.T.

Your post makes it sound like you feel that the military or government is responsible or "owes" you a degree.

Wasn't flaming you, just looking at what you wrote.

SweetAss

Hooch
05-16-2008, 13:17
Jay Mosier,

You sir are a parasite.

mfMF, it took me a while on WB to learn this lesson, so let me pass it on to you. Please don't feed the trolls. :rolleyes::D

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 13:19
yeah i bite

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-16-2008, 13:45
::: Dino has a relapse to her moderating days :::

Knock it off fellows before I bite toes and whip with my tail.

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 13:50
ooooo Dino ur gettin me xcited now :)

Alligator
05-16-2008, 13:55
I think FD has a special pro bono clause for toe biting.

Arguing the exact opposite of a thread starter--Where do you not work?--creates tremendous instability in the matter/antimatter drive that runs WB. For the safety of all concerned, please start a new thread so that are engines continue functioning properly.

jersey joe
05-16-2008, 14:54
Getting deployed consistently to the point of 5 years out of 6, so I couldn't go to school, does seem appropriate of a blame card.
I give you credit for serving in the military but it I don't quite get you blaming the govt. for you not getting your education. My reasoning is that it was a choice to serve and be at their whim for wherever they wanted to send you. If you were drafted, THEN I could see you blaming the government. At the end of the day you don't have your education (yet) but you do have the distinction of having served in the military. Something someone like me that went and got his degree right out of high school does not have.

Doughnut
05-16-2008, 15:05
Parapro or teacher's aide, doesn't require college education, just passing basic skills, then you can decide if education is for you.
Personally, I am retired Army (Got AA, BS, and MAS while on Active duty) now I teach so I have my summers to hike and decompress.

doughNut

notorius tic
05-16-2008, 15:17
I am a Golfcourse Superintendant that gives me the oppertunity to be outside an Plant Tress , ect plus I use no Pestasides period.. I Zero scape as much as I can therefore I dont have to water fore no reason I live in Fl, an we really have NO water.. But all in all I love my job..

Locutus
05-16-2008, 15:32
My company leases cars nationwide online and provides leasing services to dealers. I develop and maintain our websites, software as well as our backend systems.

www.LeaseCompare.com is our primary site, but we have quite a few others. Our corporate site is www.acscorp.com

I also own a small retail company that sells Airsoft guns, military and tactical gear. I have a retail store here in the Cincinnati area, and we also sell online. This store is in it's sixth year of business.

www.AirsoftArms.com

I spent about 9 years in the IT industry working for a large fortune 100 company until I started doing this in 2000. I am happy to be out of the corporate cubicle environment, in charge of my own destiny. :)

Hooch
05-16-2008, 15:40
I also own a small retail company that sells Airsoft guns, military and tactical gear.....Can you cut us a good deal on 550 cord? :D

Locutus
05-16-2008, 15:43
Can you cut us a good deal on 550 cord? :D

Absolutely. I have few rolls now and hardly ever sell any of it :)

Hooch
05-16-2008, 15:47
Absolutely. I have few rolls now and hardly ever sell any of it :)Sweet.....drop me a PM and let me know what you have and how much you'll let it go for. Maybe we can work something out. :D

Locutus
05-16-2008, 15:53
Well, didn't mean to advertise, but if anyone from WB wants any, it is OD and .06/ft (this is bulk pricing but by the foot). I can get as much as you need. :)

Mods, if this is against any rules, please just delete, thanks.

ToyYoda
05-16-2008, 15:54
I'm a chef at a family owned italian restaurant. I'm not part of the fam, just fell into it. Well.. guess I kinda am now.

I do commercial photography on the side, hoping to start doing this full time when I finish my degree in entrepreneurship.

Maybe i'll get into adventure photography and get paid to hike/paddle/whatever. :banana

Locutus
05-16-2008, 15:55
Sorry, I meant .04/ft for WB members. .06/ft is our normal price.

oruoja
05-16-2008, 16:50
Sgt, I don't know what your situation is terms of finances and living arrangements are, but do take some time for yourself and then review your interests, experiences and aptitudes. Even if you end up working and initially going to school part-time or vice versa, at your age you will have time and options to figure out what to do. You will also meet people who will provide you good information and guidance and also some who will not. As far as school and the service goes, I was lucky enough to be active duty at the right time and in the right place to finish my BA (which by the way has no bearing on what I do for a living, but still worth the time and work invested). Life in its stages will bring you down many paths. For example, I took and extended break from my active duty service and came back in and now am slated for an OEF tour during which I will hit my "20" and after that I'll decide based on circumstances what to do. My tentative thru plans have been derailed several times, but now I have set my goal for 2013. Whatever you decide, do take advantage of any benefits which you are due. Good luck!

smokymtnsteve
05-16-2008, 17:24
come to Alaska, work on the riverboat Discovery for the season, help me build a cabin , you live in it for a year, pay no state income tax, get a PFD check, and AK residents are fixin to get a $100 a month energy debit card from the state. In FBKS there is no sales tax, and more jobs than people, and being a Sgt. Hippie would have NO bearing on your obtaining employment here.

Howdy oruoja, how's things down south?

oruoja
05-16-2008, 17:48
Hey Smoky, looks like you are still living the life in AK! As you can see I have a little govt paid for excursion coming up, but I'll be hopefully doing the AT in 2013. Even have plans on moving our lattitude further south when my hitch is up and retired to get some more extended hiking weather.

JayMosier
05-16-2008, 18:27
hay smokie im there!!!

Bearpaw
05-16-2008, 20:30
If you've been in the **** be sure to take time for yourself. IMHO

Outstanding advice. My thru-hike did me plenty of good after little brush-fire deployments throughout the 90's in the Marine Corps.

Use your GI Bill. It's the best thing going as a veteran.

I teach. Summers, I've hiked my own hikes, and I've taught to backpack and climb as an instructor for the National Outdoor Leadership School. Those long breaks off are very rewarding, as is working with kids.

If you don't like kids, however, don't even consider teaching. 3 months off each year isn't worth making yourself and your students miserable.

If you want a job in forestry or the like, so to school and apply for every summer internship available. It will also be rewarding, and it's how you get the connections to make that leap into government work.

Best of luck, and hike on brother.

Captain
05-16-2008, 20:50
i am a financial consultant for my parents.. i tell them how to spend thier money on me

Captain
05-16-2008, 21:04
come to Alaska, work on the riverboat Discovery for the season, help me build a cabin , you live in it for a year, pay no state income tax, get a PFD check, and AK residents are fixin to get a $100 a month energy debit card from the state. In FBKS there is no sales tax, and more jobs than people, and being a Sgt. Hippie would have NO bearing on your obtaining employment here.

Howdy oruoja, how's things down south?

the vast bearing sea, in summer for fisherman nearly 800,000 square miles of pure hell , in winter nearly 800,000 square miles of FREEZING hell . but for those with a quick step and a staunch back the rewards can be big. the highs can certainly be high but the lows..are just plain devastating this season some boats will strike it big , while others just strike out the season is underway and captains have turned thier attention and their vessels to just one thing.. king crab, with tragedy always threatening to strike the fleet its a race to the finish in this modern day gold rush and this season will prove just why king crab is..the deadliest catch

BWOW im a cowboy on a steel horse i ride , im wanteeeed , dead or alive:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::co ol::cool::cool:

SunnyWalker
05-16-2008, 22:06
If you are interestedin working for TDCJ check out their web site. Do a search. TDCJ is Texas Dept of Criminal Justice. I have 15+ years in now and it is sure easy to get away to hike. Vacation time, comp time, then of course sick leave, overtime, and etc. the retirement is great. You can combine military service with the state time to figure retirement.

fiddlehead
05-17-2008, 09:48
Take a year or two (or 3) and hike a few long distance trails. You'll have lots of time to think, meet free-spirited people and even work on your future.
I did just that (16 years of hiking really) and worked on my guitar playing most everyday on my hikes. Now, i am a professional musician here in Thailand.

I highly recommend thinking for yourself and starting your own business. Especially if you find that you really Love to hike. Then the cubicle job or the computer job will only frustrate you.

My brother started a logging business with little to no experience and ended up marking timber for the FS back in the 70's.

Life is priorities.

LIhikers
05-17-2008, 23:03
My wife drives a school bus. It gives her every weekend and school holiday off as well as all summer. No degree needed and the school bus company trained her to take the CDL test. And yes, when we do our summer section hikes we carry a cell phone so she can call in for her unemployment benefits. :D

Odd Thomas
05-18-2008, 03:56
i am a financial consultant for my parents.. i tell them how to spend thier money on me

That's a growing business in this economy.

Smudge
05-18-2008, 05:12
Go to Alaska. My ship just left Seward and it was REALLY tough for me to leave. The people are amazing and when I mentioned my job history I had job offers comming out my ears. If you head up there RIGHT NOW, almost any where you go in the south east of the state, you will have a job within hours of arriving. Most of the jobs also come with housing. You will be surrounded by the most pristine wilderness in the world and the money is GOOD! There are oportunities at lodges, hiking tour companies, kayak tour companies, sportfishing boats(this is the fun stuff, no Deadliest Catch here) service industry, you name it.

I'm going to retire from the Navy in just a few years and I already know I will spend at leat one or two summers in Seward, Alaska. One, it will give me time to separate myself from the rigors of 20 years in the military and two, it will line my pocket for a thru hike of the PCT with my Brother who is currently following his dream of hiking on the AT.(actually, right now he's at TD having a blast...)

smokymtnsteve
05-19-2008, 13:28
plus NO state Income TAX!

Blissful
05-19-2008, 13:36
Yeah some guy who was hiking last year - Duckwalk - made a huge amt of money working on a boat in Alaska for a few months. Then in the middle of his hike he found out that they needed workers again, so he left the trail at Daleville, VA and went back to work on the boat. Hope he is able to get back on and finish.

Hooch
05-19-2008, 13:39
......it will give me time to separate myself from the rigors of 20 years in the military......Military? I thought you said you're in the Navy? :eek::p:D

WILLIAM HAYES
05-26-2008, 18:51
I am a Vice President with the Medical College of Georgia Healthcare system located in augusta georgia -home of the masters I have been in healthcare for approx 25 years and have been hiking the trail for the past 7 years

4eyedbuzzard
05-26-2008, 19:32
At age 51 I'm back to school to finish my degree along with my MCSE(Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) certification after working as an electrician/technician for 30 years in Power Generation, Steel, and Chemical Processing. I've injured my back three times in the past five years at work and cannot return to electrical work, so I'm merging my PLC, computer, and automation background with the lighter lifting requirements in the IT/management side of things. Kind of converting me slowly toward the UL hiking mentality as well.;)

Now all I have to do is finish school and find a job paying what I was making...:eek:

solo29
05-26-2008, 20:02
hello i keep your tv,s on i work for lead service tech for a local cable tv company

Bare Bear
05-26-2008, 20:41
I subsitute teach at public elementary schools. The kids are great, the teachers dedicated. Grossly underpaid but I have every summer off and can take off more whenever I feel the need, I just do not get paid for time off.

Bare Bear
05-26-2008, 20:42
HEY NO PICKING ON THE NAVY. They have great chow halls and they take the Marines where the fighting is.

Hooch
05-26-2008, 20:45
HEY NO PICKING ON THE NAVY. They have great chow halls and they take the Marines where the fighting is.You know what NAVY stands for don't you? Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :eek::D

superman
05-26-2008, 20:50
Retired is not as good a job as you might think. Everyone thinks that you can drop what ever your doing to help them with their project. When I tell them that I have a "to do" list that will take me until I'm 150 years old to finish people don't take it serious. They don't understand that choosing to fish in the stream down by my barn is just as important as keeping up with the garden planting and the lawn mowing. My gawd, if I opt to go out for breakfast it sets me back days on "the list." It's not easy.:)

cavedive2
05-26-2008, 20:51
Search the web for "Helmets to Hardhats" for an apprenticeship in the union construction industry. Great pay, free education, and you can draw veterans benefits while you work during the day and attend night school.
This is a nationally recognized program that has placed 10s of thousands of returning servicemen and women. Thanks for your service.
Ben

As a union Millwright I would have to say that is a good idea. good pay,free schooling,easy to get into with veterans background and work when you want too and collect unemployeement during the summer months or you could do it it the other way around and work through the summer months and take off the winter months.

cavediver2

HikerRanky
05-26-2008, 20:55
I am a Project Manager for a NYC-based major media and entertainment company. I got my PMP (Project Management Professional) certification a few years ago. My area of expertise is software development, data center construction, web site development.

While I work for a company in NYC, I am located in Nashville, TN...

Randy

double j
05-26-2008, 22:16
i work at EXIDE ------------we make batt... for walmart ,tractor supply,napa ford,bmy and so on..........

FeO2
05-26-2008, 22:20
I got out of the Military and went to trade school for Aviation Maintenance. Good school, Good job. After fixing aircraft for ~15years I got smart and went to college for an electrical engineering and now work for a large defense contractor making pretty decent $$. Now I can afford the gear I want, and I take paid vacation to section hike. However, I didn't take the time off and through-hike, probably a mistake, now I must wait until I retire because of family responsibilities.

Moral of the story: You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Hard work now pays off in the long run. Do what you want now but think about where you will be before you choose your path!

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2008, 22:36

SweetAss

Ouch - I saw that! did you have to point it out? SA find a little compassion!

And Yes the G.I. paid for every penny of my 4 year public eduction degree.

You did write this huh?

musicwoman
05-27-2008, 12:24
I work as a consultant for the Dept. of Defense and the defense subcontractors who build their various radar systems, both airborne and ground based.

angewrite
05-27-2008, 12:44
I can't find a better place to put this post than "General," where do you guys (the hiking type crowd) work?

The longer this thread is up the more you'll see that the "hiking type crowd" does it all. Some work seasonally, some are retirees, others are professionals. We are fishmen, firefighters, nurses, teachers, accountants, doctors, lawyers, students and bums. Do what you want and what will make you happy. Just remember you have to finance your hiking in some way, unemployment runs out eventually ;)

BTW- I'm an accountant

-Bobcat

DesertMTB
05-27-2008, 13:18
Reporter and photographer at Fort Jackson, S.C.

Wags
05-27-2008, 16:18
I work as a consultant for the Dept. of Defense and the defense subcontractors who build their various radar systems, both airborne and ground based.

how bout consulting those retards to bring our men and women home :D

i landscape and have been plugging away at my El ed degree and will finally get it next spring :D seems to be quite a # of teachers here hehehhe

oops56
05-27-2008, 17:02
I work to stay out of work retired;)

leeki pole
05-27-2008, 17:21
redneck, hiker trash and investment portfolio manager for a community bank:) does all that fit?;)

musicwoman
05-30-2008, 07:50
[quote=hikingPA;631383]how bout consulting those retards to bring our men and women home :D

Sure wish I could do that. I, along with many of you here I am sure, have loved ones in both Iraq and Afghanistan right now. Unfortunately, the govt doesn't really seem to want to listen to me on that note so:

The next best thing I can do is try my damndest to keep em safe while they're over there:).

musicwoman
05-30-2008, 07:54
redneck, hiker trash and investment portfolio manager for a community bank:) does all that fit?;)

Works for me:).

totally Boagus
05-30-2008, 08:41
As master of the wheelwright shop at Colonial Williamsburg I think my job keeps me in "trail mode" most of the time. I change my clothes about once a week and visitors love that "18th century smell"!

musicwoman
05-30-2008, 09:44
As master of the wheelwright shop at Colonial Williamsburg I think my job keeps me in "trail mode" most of the time. I change my clothes about once a week and visitors love that "18th century smell"!

Wow, what a unique job!! :)

Gray Blazer
05-30-2008, 10:04
I subsitute teach at public elementary schools. The kids are great, the teachers dedicated. Grossly underpaid but I have every summer off and can take off more whenever I feel the need, I just do not get paid for time off.

I went to Belcher and Plumb elementary.

steve43
05-30-2008, 11:03
i teach students with special needs. i'll never get rich doing it, but it offers plenty of time to pursue my interests. as a matter of fact at 3:00 today i can start enjoying my 73 day weekend.:D fifo

minnesotasmith
05-30-2008, 11:08

The reason I ask, I'm a two-time deployed soldier getting ready to return as a free man. Free in the sense that I'll be done with the National Guard and ready to return to the normalicy of civilian life. I'll be hiking the trail in the Spring of '09, but till then I'll need a job. Thanks to them I don't have a degree, and every freaking job app. for working in a forest/conservation group wants one.

In the oil industry in (mostly) Colorado. You can get a 140.00/day sample catcher job fairly easily in the main oil towns like Grand Junction, CO; Casper/Cheyenne, WY; Tulsa, OK, Houston, TX, coastalsouthern LA towns such as Lafayette; Anchorage, AK; etc. If you're willing to work galley crew (often for more money), you can find work in companies based out of Denver, as well as those others I listed. If working outside in all (and I mean ALL) weather is less important to you than maximizing pay, then try for a drilling company. My last rig, the entry-level guys made 20/hr., which when x 84 hours (equivalent of 106 straight-time hours, given OT), makes for lots of money you can save to go hiking. :D And, you've got the CDT running right through the middle of the state of CO, with hills and ridges in 2/3 the state to hike over. :)

Now, if you have an electronics, electrician, computer, geology, chemistry (for mud "engineers") engineering, CDL, heavy-equipment operating/driving (loader, grader, bulldozer, crane) tanker/flatbed truck), welding, nondestructive testing, or large-engine mechanic background, then service companies can be the way to go. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, MI Swaco -- they'll work you hard but fairly, and pay you a gumpload. Even former military corpsmen can fairly easily get safety jobs that pay well. Experienced scuba divers get up to a grand a day. If you have professional small-plane experience, or drive mid-size boats, there are oiljobs in AK and the U.S. Gulfcoast. Entry-level is commonly anywhere from $200-450/day, while directional drillers with 5+ years experience commonly make like $700/day. By way of comparison, I've seen a derrickman, mid-level job with a drilling company, pulling in $32/hr, which is $3392/week. Given that you can expect to have housing provided while you work (and food, too, if offshore, and on more isolated wellpads such as on AK's Arctic North Slope), someone so inclined can save a LOT of money in this line of work. Do note that most jobs don't pay during off times.

Some websites to look for oil work, or just cruise around reading:

www.roughneckcity.com (http://www.roughneckcity.com)
www.rigzone.com (http://www.rigzone.com)
www.oilcareers.com (http://www.oilcareers.com)
www.monster.com (http://www.monster.com) (yes, a general site, but they post some oil jobs)

Note that in the Rockies that New Year's to mid-April is the slowest time of year (due to regulatory restrictions), so is usually the hardest time of year to get hired.

The state employment Workforce centers in oilfield towns and/or the newspapers (online AND paper) in Houston, Dallas, Lafayette, Denver, Casper, Salt Lake City, or even small CO towns like Craig, Rifle, or Parachute are all worth investigating. With the Bakken Shale field growing fast, Montana/ND should be in a hiring phase now. Once the Valdez-Deadhorse (trans-Alaska N-S, paralleling the oil one built in the 1970s) gas pipeline construction project ever gets going, or ANWR finally gets opened, expect Alaska to take off. Then, there's the Alberta Tar Sands project in Canada, where thousands (some nonCanadians) are working, right now...

Anyone who wants more information on this, feel free to PM me.

dragonfeet
05-30-2008, 21:14
I install rain gutters.

MerlinKlein
05-30-2008, 23:26
Computer geek for a Charlotte NC Bank. For them five years I spent building server farms. Another five years spent as a Network Engineer. Now I am involved with Windows/Unix Server Performance Tuning.

Not to shabby for a guy with less than 20 credit hours of college. :)

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:40
I'm not sure any more. The name of the company has changed twice since I started working there about 8 years ago. It will probably be changing again soon. Big fish eats little fish...

The Scribe
05-31-2008, 11:48
I work in education. I've done about everything from being a bus driver, to a classroom aide to a teacher, and now I am one of the computer guys. Geek Squad.

The only job listed above that requires a degree is the teacher one.

Consider an aide position in education. Summers off. Should be good bennys as it would most likely be a union position. It would give you a chance to see if you would want to take it further. That's what I did. I had a two-year degree in programming. Working with the kids as a driver and an aide sent me back to school for my Bachelors and into the classroom as a teacher.

And I didn't start this process until I was like 35.

chief
06-01-2008, 00:33
I always wanted to retire at 50, but it didn't quite work out that way. I retired at 45 instead, 12 years ago tomorrow.

Odd Thomas
06-01-2008, 01:58
everyones entitled to their own opinion nick but im laughin my ass of all the way down the trail on your dime hahahaha

Lol! :bse

Odd Thomas
06-01-2008, 02:02
I always wanted to retire at 50, but it didn't quite work out that way. I retired at 45 instead, 12 years ago tomorrow.

Unemployed now, but I'll probably have to work until I die, none of my previous s*** jobs had any kind of pension, and at the wages paid today can't affort to save on my own after child support and bills.

Oh well, maybe I'll be rich in my next life.

josiblue
06-01-2008, 03:19
don't know how much this will help... but, the montgomery g.i. bill, use it to your advantage as much as possible... that being said, i have worked on high ropes courses to the tune of 250 a week, based on climbing experience... now that i have finished my super-useful degree in philosophy i am working for fanmail marketing (http://www.fanmailmarketing.com) i dunno, find something that makes you feel human and chase it....
~josi

Pepper Beard
06-01-2008, 03:35
I don't work, social security disability.....

Waterfall
06-01-2008, 12:30
Tech writer for Drake Software in Franklin, NC. If your a techie type or a CPA type who wants to live close to the trail, this is a great place to work.

emerald
06-01-2008, 14:30

Not buying your story.

ChinMusic
06-01-2008, 15:08
Dentist (self-employed) - Gotta get son through dental school before attempting my thru ~2013.

Jan LiteShoe
06-01-2008, 15:56
Idea, if you like the outdoors:

Work for a really good landscaper in an active landscape-loving city (such as many in FL) or a well-off retirement-type area. They are always looking for good strong backs. Research, and pick your company wisely. Court the boss. Make a point of being the most outstanding worker they've ever hired, and ask the boss to mentor you. Many such workers do not stay long in one place, so you will be an asset while you're there. Make your plans to hike clear from the outset, and explain your willingness to work. Most would take you on their crew in an instant. Especially learn irrigation, sod installation and pruning, which will set you a cut above your basic "mow-and-blow."

After the hike, look into financing your trailer, mower and blower. Add a few trash cans, tarps and a rake, and you're off in your own landscaping business. You'll know what you need by then, and reliable brands.

If you leave on good terms, you might even get referral business from your old boss. This works best when the outfit is a small one, and the boss is older, no longer looking to expand his business.

Or, if the boss is older, without an heir apparent, you might just be impressive enough to be taken on as a partner in the business. Or, you could work there when you return, with the understanding you will build your business on the side.

It's hard work, but steady - grass keeps growing, leaves keep falling. In our area (resort/retirement), many are older and not inclined or able to do such work. If you choose a well-off area, it can be recession-proof. Take on an even younger assistant as the business grows.
;-)

Good luck!

Wags
06-01-2008, 21:20
not to mention the 2 months off during winter :D

many landscapers in my area make 6 figures in 8-9 months of work

modiyooch
06-01-2008, 22:13
contract programmer analyst looking for a contract in one of the four remaining states that I have left to hike on the AT. MA, VT, NH, ME.

Sly
12-14-2008, 03:44
I'm a freelance entrepreneur with diversified interests in a global market.

kayak karl
12-14-2008, 03:47
I'm a freelance entrepreneur with diversified interests in a global market.
Ahhh, are you unemployeed too?

Sly
12-14-2008, 03:51
Ahhh, are you unemployeed too?

LOL... Holding out for the big bucks. :D

Serial 07
12-14-2008, 03:56
currently i work at whole foods...this will undoubtedly be as corporate as i get...

fiddlehead
12-14-2008, 07:28
Musician and underwear salesman.
Where? all over the world.

BackTrack1
12-14-2008, 07:42
self employed carpenter / mason,
i work my A-- off , then i hike, not nearly as much as id like, but i get to choose when i go, my boss is cool loke that,LOL

Plodderman
12-14-2008, 10:07
Minister in the Church of the Nazarene.

hnryclay
12-14-2008, 15:49
Technical Supervisor for a large telecommunications company. If you want a job that has very little commitments, and is present just about everywhere, I suggest you look into phone, or cable/satilite installation contracting. Small sub contractors are always hiring, the work is not that hard, and you get paid by the job. Usually you have to have your own tools, very small investment, and a clear driving record.

e-doc
12-14-2008, 18:27
Am an outdoor guide feeding my family practicing medicine.

NC Blaster
12-14-2008, 19:27
Blaster is my job title, or at least it used to be. I have worked in the commercial explosives business for 12 years. I work for a company that blasts and supplies explosives for mines and construction/site preparation mostly. I just manage blasters now. It was a lot more fun being a grunt in the field. It is a lot more interesting to say that you are a Blaster than a Manager. I will always consider myself as a Blaster, by trade. Once a Blaster, always a Blaster.

modiyooch
12-14-2008, 19:50
I don't understand what it matters where we work. It's important that you pursue a career in what appeals to your interest and skill set. If forestry is what you desire, than start taking the classes and get that degree that companies require. If you don't want a career, but just a job; I still advise getting a degree. Do a specific job because you choose the job, not because you are locked into the job. I enjoy my work. If I ever win that lottery loot; I will still show up to work.

JaxHiker
12-14-2008, 20:04
I'm a software developer for a mortgage servicing company. I hate my job. It bores me to tears and for the past 2 years I've had very little work to do. It makes for very long days but I get paid very well when you look at my work to pay ratio. :D

If I ever fell into enough money I'd never go back to my cube. I pretty much hate what I do but now I'm a slave to the paycheck. :(

modiyooch
12-14-2008, 20:15
I'm a software developer for a mortgage servicing company. I hate my job. It bores me to tears and for the past 2 years I've had very little work to do. It makes for very long days but I get paid very well when you look at my work to pay ratio. :D

If I ever fell into enough money I'd never go back to my cube. I pretty much hate what I do but now I'm a slave to the paycheck. :(how ironic. I'm a software developer, and fascinated with the field.

Just Plain Jim
12-14-2008, 21:03
Retired:banana [ins. agent].

Ron Haven
12-15-2008, 01:02
I need a live in manager at Budget Inn of Franklin,NC click for details (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160)

queary82
12-15-2008, 01:41
I didn't scroll through all the posts in this thread to see if this was mentioned, but have you looked into the 9/11 GI Bill to help you get a degree? I'm active Navy and just learned about it a few months ago. This one gives you E-5 BAH, based on where you are going to school, to help you with your living expenses.
http://www.gibill2008.org/

oops56
12-15-2008, 02:47
Retired from Omya big plant 35 years maintenance.

Pokey2006
12-15-2008, 03:01
Isn't getting money for college one of the big draws, or perks, of joining the military in the first place??? Take advantage of the gov't benefit and get that degree! Apply for school, tend bar or whatever for a few months, hike the AT, then start classes next September. And go from there.

I also didn't read through all the posts -- five pages is too much at 2 a.m. -- so I apologize if others have already said as much.

deadhorsejoe
12-15-2008, 08:36
Veterinary pathologist and teacher of the subject to veterinary students. Enjoy every minute of it and have not been bitten, kicked or run over in the last 25 years.

papa john
12-15-2008, 08:54
I need a live in manager at Budget Inn of Franklin,NC click for details (http://www.appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160)

That would be perfect for Blister Sister, but she is single. Good hiker and knows the trail pretty well. I hiked with her a few days back in '00.

ki0eh
12-15-2008, 15:27
I will always consider myself as a Blaster, by trade.

Ever considered moving to PA and coming out with the volunteer trail crews? :D

NC Blaster
12-15-2008, 15:37
You supply the drills and the powder, I'll shoot it.

Spogatz
12-15-2008, 15:55
I am an IT manager for the federal gov in ATL

all your trail are belong to us.....

saimyoji
12-15-2008, 16:21
all your trail are belong to us.....

too funny...:D

Gumbi
12-15-2008, 16:23
CNC programmer for a manufacturing company. I program for a CNC plasma torch table. It feels like playing tetris for 8 hours a day every day! (gets old FAST!)

double j
12-16-2008, 17:56
i work for one of the worlds leading battery production plants...... EXIDE is the name. we do ford, bmw,napa, walmart chrysler to name just a few

l0ngterm
12-16-2008, 20:55
Finish college, get a reasonbly sane job that is in demand and live below your means. The more you make the more you can save which lets you quit occassionally for long hikes and/or retire early to hike all the time.

Me, retired early Air Force, used the GI Bill to get a Computer Science degree and get paid to build software for the last 20 years. Lots of vacation (5 weeks) and living cheaply allow me to hikea lot while working and save enough to hopefully retire early and hike even more.

l0ngterm

xnav
12-16-2008, 21:08
Retired from the Air Force in 1993. Started working in land surveying in 1994 and loved it. I've been working as a Survey Party Chief for most of that time because it keeps me outdoors and doing hard physical work. I could not stand working inside.

Rockhound
12-16-2008, 23:29
I heard the repo and foreclosure businesses are doing great right now