PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Water

awestberry
05-16-2008, 07:54
Just bought a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter. I've never used a filter before. Does the water need to be running in order to filter or can I filter it out of a lake? Just wondering as the place I'm going hiking at the end of the month has two small lakes and only a couple of intermittent streams.

Peaks
05-16-2008, 08:01
Any source of water will do. Standing water is fine.

Just be careful not to suck up any silt, because that will clog the filter quickly.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 08:50
remember that the out-flow hose goes in your nose...

Alligator
05-16-2008, 10:20
You do the work by pumping it.

jersey joe
05-16-2008, 12:04
You can pump out of standing water but If given the choice, I would still pump from the moving water source.

jlb2012
05-16-2008, 12:31
moving water generally has slightly more silt than calm water but if you use a bag to filter from then its a don't care

in former years when I used a filter I would fill a bag and carry the bagged water back to camp and then hang the bag on a tree and filter there - much easier on the back to do it that way - btw a 'biner and a shoelace make a great hook to hang the bag on the tree.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-16-2008, 12:50
Any source of water will do. Standing water is fine.

Just be careful not to suck up any silt, because that will clog the filter quickly.
Standing yes, stagnant ----rather not

sofaking
05-16-2008, 14:01
oops... i TOTALLY meant to say 'into the water container of your choice as long as you're aware of the weight/durability issues that may/may not be brought to your attention whilst perusing this site'.

take-a-knee
05-16-2008, 14:46

As always a profound observation.

Alligator
05-16-2008, 14:53
As always a profound observation.Let's call a truce here, perhaps you each put the other on ignore for a few days.

Appalachian Tater
05-16-2008, 14:54
The water in the top layer of an open still source like a pond has fewer microbes than water from an open running source because the sun kills them. It seems counter-intuitive.

You can filter any water but the dirtier it is the shorter your filter life will be. Get a piece of panty-hose and put over the end of the intake with a rubber band to help keep out silt and always make sure the intake is floating--put the "marshmallow" float right at the very end.

You will also want to pump a few liters at home before hiking to get the carbon dust out of the filter. Also, don't store the filter assembled if wet because it will mold. You can flush with a mild bleach solution to clean it.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 14:56
As always a profound observation.
my mom says i'm not allowed to play with you. and you're not allowed in my yard either.

Alligator
05-16-2008, 14:56
The water in the top layer of an open still source like a pond has fewer microbes than water from an open running source because the sun kills them. It seems counter-intuitive.

You can filter any water but the dirtier it is the shorter your filter life will be. Get a piece of panty-hose and put over the end of the intake with a rubber band to help keep out silt and always make sure the intake is floating--put the "marshmallow" float right at the very end.

You will also want to pump a few liters at home before hiking to get the carbon dust out of the filter. Also, don't store the filter assembled if wet because it will mold. You can flush with a mild bleach solution to clean it....and take it apart so that it dries.

sofaking
05-16-2008, 14:58
...and take it apart so that it dries.
and don't let the filter freeze...

SunnyWalker
05-16-2008, 22:16
Wow, thats what you do with the float(marshmello thingy), huh?