PDA

View Full Version : Email for Fund Raiser

Burren
05-16-2008, 09:54
I am looking for information on using email while on the hike. I am doing a fundraiser for the Alzheimer’s Assoc., Hospice, and a local organization serving mentally retarded adults while on the hike. I get nothing, but the satisfaction of helping others. (It’ll provide some motivation to finish the 850ish miles to Katahdin. I leave July 1, 08)
In any event, I am trying to find a device I can use to send home regular emails with pictures. The idea is to offer the folks that are sponsoring the hike to both watch my progress via GPS coordinates, and read notes and see pictures that will be posted on my web site, while I am on the trail. It seems that there should be something cheaper than a Blackberry, or Palm. Thanks

Johnny Swank
05-16-2008, 14:56
Cheapest option is just to send an email when you get to a town. Most libraries on the trail offer free/cheap access, and it's getting more common for hostels to offer something as well. Unless you have a real need for absolute real-time info, this might be the way to go if you don't want to carry another device.

That said, if the trail is crowed, space at public computers is at a premium. I'm carrying something (probably a smartphone, but we'll see) with me on the next long trip so I won't have to hunt down a computer.