PDA

View Full Version : PCT, CDT, AT back to back. Park closures and weather?

dirt
05-16-2008, 12:16
I'm trying to get a handle on the on the idea of walking the PCT, CDT and AT back to back. I figure a Nobo PCT starting late March could get me to the CDT in time to start Sobo around end of July. Give about 4-6 months to finish the CDT and then start on the AT Nobo. Has anyone done this that can give me ideas on start times, a heads up on permit issues, weather, etc?

Mags
05-16-2008, 12:31
A late march start on the PCT will put you on the Sierra rather early.

Are you trying to do a "Calendar Triple Crown" (all 3 trails in one year), or more interested in traditional thru-hikes, but back to back?

If interested in a calendar triple crown, ping Squeaky here on WB. Also, look up Justin Lichter (Truma) and/or Brian Robinson.

http://www.justinlichter.com/
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

If you are looking to do three traditional thru-hikes back to back,
that may be interesting timing wise.

My CDT compadre Skittles plans on doing the AT, CDT and the PCT back-to-back, but will be taken some time off in between of about 1 mo each for timing reasons.

Good luck!

Alligator
05-16-2008, 13:06
Try Squeaky 2. I think Squeaky is his mom's account.

dirt
05-16-2008, 13:07
I'm not concerned with hiking them all within a calendar year, like those guys have. I poked around traumas site for info but didnt find much, I think he did them back to back traditionally. Flyin Bryans links on his website dont work for me. I would like to get a schedule down that would allow me to walk them back to back with only a few days, to maybe a week max of downtime between each. From one end to the other, I am not really interested in bouncing around from one section to another.

Is Skittles on this forum?

Mags
05-16-2008, 13:15

He's hiking right now on his (now modified) AT/CDT/PCT/ Te Araroa :)
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=207906

ALLIGATOR: THanks for the correction!

As I said, due to the snow conditions, back to back trails may be difficult w/o bouncing around or down time.

I don't know HOW this could be done. But, I am sure it CAN be done. The AT, with the exception of parts of New England, can be hiked all year around. (IF a bit cold at times!). That can help.

ps. Robinson's link worked for me again...

riceNbeans
05-16-2008, 13:17

Skittles is on the AT right now, +/- 700 miles from K . Check Trail Journal.

dirt
05-16-2008, 13:19
thanks for replies

A-Train
05-16-2008, 16:21
You could start with a CDT SOBO from June/July to December. Then pick up the AT (or start in January). Summit Katahdin by late June and start the PCT SOBO and finish in the fall.

This is doable but very problematic.

First, you're starting with the hardest trail, so you must be very experienced.
Second, so much of that plan is contingent on snow being low or passable. You could hit snow in Colorado, lots of winter on the AT for the first 3 months and lots of snow in the Cascades in Washington (not to mention racing snow in the Sierra).

Basically, you'd have to be pretty damn dedicated, hardcore, and most importantly, lucky.

dirt
05-16-2008, 17:02
So not many problems Nobo on the At starting January or February other than snow? Thats kind of what I am hoping for. CDT first is out of the question, my girlfriend is coming along and if she decides to bail I'd rather have her on the PCT than the middle of the CDT and neither of us are quite ready for the CDT.

dirt
05-16-2008, 17:05
I don't know HOW this could be done. But, I am sure it CAN be done. The AT, with the exception of parts of New England, can be hiked all year around. (IF a bit cold at times!). That can help.

Is not being able to hike through New England during certain times of the year a legality issue or a logistical issue?

A-Train
05-16-2008, 17:07
So not many problems Nobo on the At starting January or February other than snow? Thats kind of what I am hoping for. CDT first is out of the question, my girlfriend is coming along and if she decides to bail I'd rather have her on the PCT than the middle of the CDT and neither of us are quite ready for the CDT.

Read some journals. Usually a couple people leave 1/1 from Springer. Depends on the year. Some years, mild winter. You could take my mock plan and switch the PCT and CDT. Start with the PCT SOBO, or do it Nobo and take a few months off when you finish.

Mags
05-16-2008, 17:08
Is not being able to hike through New England during certain times of the year a legality issue or a logistical issue?

Logistical.

The Whites can be damn interesting in winter. :O

Plus there is deep snow in many parts of New England. Snowshoeing is not only physically tiring with a full pack, but navigation becomes....interesting.

A-train's plan is probably the best in terms of timing. But, you do need to be damn lucky. SoBo on the PCT depends upon a low snowpack in the Cacades and a non-early winter in the Sierra.

Going with two people does complicate the matter too.

I'll also say the other people who did this (Flyin' Brian, Trauma, Squeaky) were all previous thru-hikers. By all means, plan for three trails..but concentrate on doing one first and seeing how the other two go. Enjoy the first one; worry about the other two later.

Good luck!

Alligator
05-16-2008, 17:16
There are restrictions on Katahdin in the winter.

Mags
05-16-2008, 17:19
There are restrictions on Katahdin in the winter.

True.
http://www.mainerec.com/wintrule.asp?Category=106&PageNum=106
http://www.mainerec.com/technic.asp?Category=104&PageNum=104

And hard restrictions they are...

Overall though, there is no restrictions except the VERY BIG one Ma Nature throws. (Winter mountaineering conditions in the Whites for example).