PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Questions

BrianMitchell
02-09-2004, 14:40
I'm in the process of trying to lighten my load so I'm starting with reducing my shelter weight. I've tarp camped before so I'm comfortable with the idea. I'm trying to decide between the following setups. Keep in mind that I backpack mostly in the southeast where bugs are a concern. I also mostly hike by myself, but wouldn't mind having extra room.

1) GoLite Cave 1 + Nest 2
2) Oware Catenary Cut Tarp 2 (7x9)
3) Integral Designs Sil Tarp 2 (8x10)

I've looked at the TarpTents and I really like them, but would like to have the versatility of setup configurations offered by a tarp.

Other questions:

Does anyone know if a GoLite Nest can be set up underneath a regular 8 x 10 tarp? I was thinking about setting it up underneath an Integral Designs SilTarp2. The Nest is designed to go underneath a GoLite Cave so I wasn't sure if it had some special attachments or not that would preclude me getting it setup underneath a regular 8x10 tarp.

Also, comparing a regular 8x10 silnylon tarp and a GoLite cave, are the beaks on the cave worth getting it or should I just stick to my regular tarp?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

sawwhetowl
02-09-2004, 15:48
Brian,
I believe the beaks are worthwhile. They give a considerable amount of storm protection. The nest 2 is a bit heavy, use a mosquito net from Equinox, Mombasa, A-16, or make your own.

I'm in the process of trying to lighten my load so I'm starting with reducing my shelter weight. I've tarp camped before so I'm comfortable with the idea. I'm trying to decide between the following setups. Keep in mind that I backpack mostly in the southeast where bugs are a concern. I also mostly hike by myself, but wouldn't mind having extra room.

1) GoLite Cave 1 + Nest 2
2) Oware Catenary Cut Tarp 2 (7x9)
3) Integral Designs Sil Tarp 2 (8x10)

I've looked at the TarpTents and I really like them, but would like to have the versatility of setup configurations offered by a tarp.

Other questions:

Does anyone know if a GoLite Nest can be set up underneath a regular 8 x 10 tarp? I was thinking about setting it up underneath an Integral Designs SilTarp2. The Nest is designed to go underneath a GoLite Cave so I wasn't sure if it had some special attachments or not that would preclude me getting it setup underneath a regular 8x10 tarp.

Also, comparing a regular 8x10 silnylon tarp and a GoLite cave, are the beaks on the cave worth getting it or should I just stick to my regular tarp?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Brushy Sage
02-09-2004, 18:23
I agree on both counts: the beaks are helpful for water runoff and give some protection from blowing rain; the netting requires a lot of hooking loops to plastic attachments, and is too heavy to carry already installed.

BrianMitchell
02-10-2004, 12:55
Thanks for info. Do the beaks on the Cave interfere with alternate setup configurations (others than A-frame)?

ga2me97
02-10-2004, 13:13
Check out the tarp at the following link http://trailquest.net/dlgctacomatarp.html I cannot personally vouch for it but I plan on buying one in the next month or so.

chris
02-10-2004, 14:06
I've used the DL Tacoma tarp somewhat extensively. There is a review in the Gear Reviews section. To be brief: I like the tarp, but I am a bit too tall for it. The 9 ft. length is a bit exagerated as the ends slope down, making it more like 7ft of usable sleeping space. Weather protection is good and workmanship is excellent. No problems and I have weathered some rough storms, with high winds and blowing rain without getting wet. The only time I did get wet is when the heavens opened up for 45 minutes in Oregon this summer, on top of hard, dry ground. Within minutes I had a steady river flowing under my ground cloth. No water coming in from the outside, just from the underside.

Kozmic Zian
02-10-2004, 14:23
I tried a tarp for awhile one season. The idea appealed to me...light, kinda old school....very campy. Well the 1st big front that came in lifted that thing up like a parachute a blew it completely out....I spent the night in a sleeping bag out in the open with the wind and rain blowing and howling.....never again. And I had that sucker secured really well. Man, those storms in the mountings really blow, boys. I say, just get a lightweight single tent that performs, like the MSR or North Face or a dozen other designs and relax....plus those tarps usually set up kinda hard compared to a quick set tent....every try to set up a tarp in a blow....choices....KZ@