PDA

View Full Version : the finer points of shelter etiquette

Captain
05-17-2008, 05:17
as i understand it shelters have 15 basic yet mostly unspoken rules

no dogs inside the shelter
bring a tent in case shelter is full no matter how "alone" you think you will be
no cooking inside the shelter
if you plan to leave just before dawn,stay out of the shelter and tent off a bit so you dont wake people up when you go yourself
first come first serve..period
no fires unless in fire rings even then keep it small
if you do sleep inside do not clutter your gear to keep other people out
limit idle chit chat to those who actually want to idly chit chat back ( a guy stumbling in at8 o clock in the evening after a 35 mile day might not want to be deeply philosophical or gayly peppy)
if you bring an mp3 or cd player make sure the volume is low enough on the ear phones were everyone else cant tell exactly what band/song your listening to
if you want to leave food or something behind for other hikers to use also be prepared to abandon some form of hang sack and line and hang it before you go leaving a note in the shelter register that its there
litterers and people who like to sing to thier mp3s or chat on cell phones will be thrown into a fire, if no fire is present the collection of everyone elses stoves on full blast will do
if you leave mouse fodder you must also be comfertable with the snakes that hunt them crawling into your bag at night sharing it with you
common sense is to be used at all times no exceptions
ask people if its ok if you take pictures , do not assume jsut becuase they share your love of hiking they also share your love of having to take a picture every 5 minutes..at night..with flash ofcourse
dont snivel all night complaining about the trail, noone forced you to do this, failing gear , weather, jobs ,family , life is to be somewhat expected but theres enough peolpe who want to just bulldoze the trail completly for parking lots and other junk, you are not doing us any favors by bad mouthing it,even after a 80 mile day straight uphill in the rain and sleet
its probably unwise to say " unspoken" as a lot of people are VERY vocal about each of these but the OFFICIAL rules of the shelters are i believe limited to the usual " no fire except in established rings" " pack out everything you pack in " " make sure to use lime in the privy" and " bear bag all goodies as early in the evening as possible" these are simply the top 15 things i have come across that is guaranteed to piss off fellow hikers please post if you have another to add:sun

Captain
05-17-2008, 05:18
and no spelling does not count don't want to hear about that thread title

Peaks
05-17-2008, 06:02
I'd say don't leave food or other things behind at a shelter. Ultimately they will need to get packed out by someone.

Hooch
05-17-2008, 07:46
and no spelling does not count don't want to hear about that thread titleIf you were a donating member you could edit that. :rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
05-17-2008, 07:48
16. If have any expectation that people will follow these rules, set up your tent.

Captain
05-17-2008, 08:13
well put dances

superman
05-17-2008, 08:54
I'm pleased to see this list. Even though I don't stay in shelters, I thought shelter etiquette was passé. When I hiked by them I thought they'd been converted to crack head, loud talking, telephone booths. ...and is that music they play?
:rolleyes:

KirkMcquest
05-17-2008, 09:04
Not sure I agree with rule #2. It's a good idea, but I don't think it can be a rule. Seems that If I were to bring a tent, why would I ever choose to sleep in a shelter with a bunch of strangers?
I usually hike off 'peak' season and I enjoy doing away with the extra load of a tent. Never had a problem.

veteran
05-17-2008, 09:27
Earth-Shattering-Snorers – that sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. It's my opinion that it's not okay for you to keep everyone awake all night with your snoring. You know who you are, get a tent and get in it every night so you're not bothering everyone else with your snoring.

rafe
05-17-2008, 09:38
I don't dispute rule #5 but if you're going to post that one, then post this one also: there's always room for one more, in a storm. Etiquette doesn't mean arriving early and staking out an inordinate amount of room for yourself and your gear. It also means sharing, particularly so as conditions warrant. I'm not proposing hard rules -- just common sense and courtesy.

Rain Man
05-17-2008, 10:08
Earth-Shattering-Snorers – that sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. It's my opinion that it's not okay for you to keep everyone awake all night with your snoring. You know who you are, get a tent and get in it every night so you're not bothering everyone else with your snoring.

Do you have the same rule for folks who smell bad? Hearing is one sense (which can be closed off easily). Smell is another sense (which can NOT be closed off).

Rain:sunMan

KirkMcquest
05-17-2008, 11:44
Do you have the same rule for folks who smell bad? Hearing is one sense (which can be closed off easily). Smell is another sense (which can NOT be closed off).

Rain:sunMan

Hmm. You could learn to breath through your mouth, which would solve both problems simultaneously. ;)

sofaking
05-17-2008, 11:57
mouth breathers...heh heh.

Captain
05-17-2008, 11:58
MISTER sofaking weve been expecting you...we...missed you..

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2008, 18:59
Weird things happen in shelters like you wake up because the woman who was sleeping next to you is lying halfway on top of you breathing in your face with bad breath or you realize that the male half of the nice older couple you're talking to when while getting ready to cook dinner is sitting there with no pants on. Or a young couple with fever and chills occupying the center of the space is coughing everywhere without covering their mouths. Best to tent.

CrumbSnatcher
05-17-2008, 20:03

bring a tent in case shelter is full no matter how "alone" you think you will be
if you plan to leave just before dawn,stay out of the shelter and tent off a bit so you dont wake people up when you go yourself
limit idle chit chat to those who actually want to idly chit chat back ( a guy stumbling in at8 o clock in the evening after a 35 mile day might not want to be deeply philosophical or gayly peppy)
if you bring an mp3 or cd player make sure the volume is low enough on the ear phones were everyone else cant tell exactly what band/song your listening to
if you want to leave food or something behind for other hikers to use also be prepared to abandon some form of hang sack and line and hang it before you go leaving a note in the shelter register that its there
litterers and people who like to sing to thier mp3s or chat on cell phones will be thrown into a fire, if no fire is present the collection of everyone elses stoves on full blast will do
if you leave mouse fodder you must also be comfertable with the snakes that hunt them crawling into your bag at night sharing it with you
ask people if its ok if you take pictures , do not assume jsut becuase they share your love of hiking they also share your love of having to take a picture every 5 minutes..at night..with flash ofcourse
dont snivel all night complaining about the trail, noone forced you to do this, failing gear , weather, jobs ,family , life is to be somewhat expected but theres enough peolpe who want to just bulldoze the trail completly for parking lots and other junk, you are not doing us any favors by bad mouthing it,even after a 80 mile day straight uphill in the rain and sleetits probably unwise to say " unspoken" as a lot of people are VERY vocal about each of these but the OFFICIAL rules of the shelters are i believe limited to the usual " no fire except in established rings" " pack out everything you pack in " " make sure to use lime in the privy" and " bear bag all goodies as early in the evening as possible" these are simply the top 15 things i have come across that is guaranteed to piss off fellow hikers please post if you have another to add:sun
#1 theres no problem with dogs in the shelter,if others have no objection(especially if the dog is well behaved) if the shelter starts to fill up yes i throw up my tent.(prefer to tent anyway)my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints #2 you should always have some form of shelter with you anyway(tent,tarp,etc...) #4 i always left before dawn,and was always very quiet(and very respectful of others) that was always my biggest problem with others.very loud and no respect of others i would be prepared the night before and grab my stuff and pack up away from the shelter. #10 never,never,never leave anything behind,that is littering. the rest of your list is good to go.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 20:29
Don't ask, "who's up for fart baseball?" after lights out.

Captain
05-17-2008, 21:13
think thats just always a good idea

Captain
05-17-2008, 21:14
#1 theres no problem with dogs in the shelter,if others have no objection(especially if the dog is well behaved) if the shelter starts to fill up yes i throw up my tent.(prefer to tent anyway)my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints #2 you should always have some form of shelter with you anyway(tent,tarp,etc...) #4 i always left before dawn,and was always very quiet(and very respectful of others) that was always my biggest problem with others.very loud and no respect of others i would be prepared the night before and grab my stuff and pack up away from the shelter. #10 never,never,never leave anything behind,that is littering. the rest of your list is good to go.

right on, i just put this list together given the impressions i got from others over the past year

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 21:17
Don't ask, "who's up for fart baseball?" after lights out.

think thats just always a good idea

You're right, but they don't ask in the first place. They just start playing. ;)

jesse
05-17-2008, 23:14
#4 leaving before dawn is perfectly acceptable.

#10 Never ever leave anything. No food, books, unwanted gear, etc, anywhere, not in shelters, streams, anywhere period. Pack it in pack it out. Other hikers should not need your stuff. If they do, too bad, maybe they plan better next time.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 23:38
I go to the woods to escape rules. We are bombarded with rules everywhere we go. I hike to simplify, not find more rules. On the trail, there are posted rules, unspoken rules, make your own rules, rules posted on websites, what rules?, rules you can live with and rules you can live without. I follow most of the rules about where to hike, camp, etc. I just don't just don't see the point in staying in vermin-invested, filthy shelters where people observe their own version of the rules and which are never the same as anyone else's rules. Dang the rules and learn to stealth already! :)

River Runner
05-18-2008, 00:52
my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints

Dogs are seldom the ones complaining. :D

River Runner
05-18-2008, 00:55
I just don't just don't see the point in staying in vermin-invested, filthy shelters

And sometimes they have rodents, reptiles, and insects as well as the hiker-vermin. :p

rafe
05-18-2008, 00:58
I just don't just don't see the point in staying in vermin-invested, filthy shelters where people observe their own version of the rules and which are never the same as anyone else's rules. Dang the rules and learn to stealth already! :)

If you feel that way, then you ought to avoid shelters, for sure. ;)

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 00:59
And sometimes they have rodents, reptiles, and insects as well as the hiker-vermin. :p

Hikers ain't vermin, they is Trash. ;)

Captain
05-18-2008, 06:35
only reason #4 is there is i do not see how its possible in a stuffed shelter to get up pack everythin to go cook and eat breakfast without waking someone else so i thought out of respect i would try to tent off as much as possible

mrc237
05-18-2008, 07:28
15 + good reasons to stay away from shelters

rickb
05-18-2008, 08:04

Good in theory, but I'm thinking that rule can be bent from time to time.

hopefulhiker
05-18-2008, 10:06
I have seen a lot of people cooking in shelters, either on the picnic tables or on those shelf tables just in front.. The main thing is to clean up properly..

rafe
05-18-2008, 10:24
15 + good reasons to stay away from shelters

Yeah, shelters are evil, doncha know. Spread the word!

Dances with Mice
05-18-2008, 18:05
TANSTAAFL. There's a price to be paid for every benefit.

The benefits of using a shelter are that no time need be spent looking for a tent space, setting up the tent or taking down the tent. If it rains you don't have to carry a wet tent. There's people to talk to and compare notes with and a register to read. All kinds of cool stuff.

The downside is a loss of privacy and having to put up with others who aren't on your schedule or don't have your sense of wilderness ethics or personal etiquette.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

generoll
05-18-2008, 19:51
always an uncommon amount of common sense from the dancer

Nearly Normal
05-18-2008, 20:31
Gearhead and gram weenie chit chat gets old after a while too.

Cookerhiker
05-18-2008, 20:41
#1 theres no problem with dogs in the shelter,if others have no objection(especially if the dog is well behaved) if the shelter starts to fill up yes i throw up my tent.(prefer to tent anyway)my dog had over 6,000 A.T. miles with no complaints .....

Do you think there's a single hiker out there who doesn't think that his/her own dog is "well-behaved?"

Last year on the rainiest day of my LT hike, I was the second to arrive at the shelter and took the low bunk; the first to arrive had taken the low bunk on the other side. There was a long table in the middle of the shelter with bunks on both sides.

So later this guy and his dog arrive and I'm assured that the dog is "well-behaved." The hiker took the bunk above mine. The dog was supposed to lie on the floor below. I didn't mind the dog in the shelter per se but the dog wouldn't settle down all night and in fact, kept putting his front paws on my bunk apparently attempting to climb closer to his owner. He kept telling the dog to lie down and kept apologizing ("he's not usually like this") until finally I volunteered (after hearing some hints) to take the top bunk.

OK - minor inconvenience. It's the principle that bugged me. Maybe the dog got better as his hike progressed; this was their first night out. I guess I should look at it as I was accomodating the hiker, not his dog.

CrumbSnatcher
05-18-2008, 21:02
Do you think there's a single hiker out there who doesn't think that his/her own dog is "well-behaved?"

Last year on the rainiest day of my LT hike, I was the second to arrive at the shelter and took the low bunk; the first to arrive had taken the low bunk on the other side. There was a long table in the middle of the shelter with bunks on both sides.

So later this guy and his dog arrive and I'm assured that the dog is "well-behaved." The hiker took the bunk above mine. The dog was supposed to lie on the floor below. I didn't mind the dog in the shelter per se but the dog wouldn't settle down all night and in fact, kept putting his front paws on my bunk apparently attempting to climb closer to his owner. He kept telling the dog to lie down and kept apologizing ("he's not usually like this") until finally I volunteered (after hearing some hints) to take the top bunk.

OK - minor inconvenience. It's the principle that bugged me. Maybe the dog got better as his hike progressed; this was their first night out. I guess I should look at it as I was accomodating the hiker, not his dog.
i'm very sorry that you had a bad dog experience. but i was stating FACTS. i never once! never! had anybody ever bitch about my dog on three thruhikes and other trips as well. my dog was a bono~fied good behaved traildog.and many, many hikers could back me up on this. and yes i have run across many hikers that said they had a well behaved dog and didn't! IMO there are not too many bad dogs, just dumbass hikers with dogs and you can't fix stupid. i hope your next dog experience on the trail works out better for you...

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 21:21
TANSTAAFL. There's a price to be paid for every benefit.

The benefits of using a shelter are that no time need be spent looking for a tent space, setting up the tent or taking down the tent. If it rains you don't have to carry a wet tent. There's people to talk to and compare notes with and a register to read. All kinds of cool stuff.

The downside is a loss of privacy and having to put up with others who aren't on your schedule or don't have your sense of wilderness ethics or personal etiquette.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Tent near the shelter. You don't have to sleep in the shelter to use the firepit, read the register, or talk to folk. The downside is you have to carry the tent and not worry about others' behaviors. :)

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 21:23
i'm very sorry that you had a bad dog experience. but i was stating FACTS. i never once! never! had anybody ever bitch about my dog on three thruhikes and other trips as well. my dog was a bono~fied good behaved traildog.and many, many hikers could back me up on this. and yes i have run across many hikers that said they had a well behaved dog and didn't! IMO there are not too many bad dogs, just dumbass hikers with dogs and you can't fix stupid. i hope your next dog experience on the trail works out better for you...

I am sure you have a great dog, but people don't bitch about things that bother them until they are away from you ... or on an internet forum. ;)

CrumbSnatcher
05-18-2008, 21:38
I am sure you have a great dog, but people don't bitch about things that bother them until they are away from you ... or on an internet forum. ;)
i prefer people who, if they have a problem with me or my dog, to tell me up front to my face.no sugar coating! respectable i would do the same for them, in a polite manner. backstabing sucks. i would like to think alot of the people on this forum were better than that. at least you don't have worry about my dog. after 14 1/2 great years togeather i lost her about a month ago.

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 21:46
i prefer people who, if they have a problem with me or my dog, to tell me up front to my face.no sugar coating! respectable i would do the same for them, in a polite manner. backstabing sucks. i would like to think alot of the people on this forum were better than that. at least you don't have worry about my dog. after 14 1/2 great years togeather i lost her about a month ago.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Just saying most keep their thoughts about others' behaviors, and their dogs, to themselves. I don't think they should be considered backstabbers, but perhaps they just don't like to "make waves".

4eyedbuzzard
05-18-2008, 21:46
as i understand it shelters have 15 basic yet mostly unspoken rules...

15 rules? Hell, Moses only had to remember 10... ;)

CrumbSnatcher
05-18-2008, 21:52
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Just saying most keep their thoughts about others' behaviors, and their dogs, to themselves. I don't think they should be considered backstabbers, but perhaps they just don't like to "make waves".
i understand tin man, thankyou for your kind words i just wish i wouldn't of posted at all. or that we could just drop the subject. my bad.

River Runner
05-18-2008, 23:05
CrumbSnatcher,

Sorry to hear about your loss of a faithful companion.

Captain
05-19-2008, 03:49
1 sorry for your loss crumbsnatcher

2 thanks to whoever edited and fixed the typo in the thread title

3 if i were moses i could make good money on parting the ATs "red sea" ( kennenbec)

Lone Wolf
05-19-2008, 06:17

dont snivel all night complaining about the trail, noone forced you to do this, failing gear , weather, jobs ,family , life is to be somewhat expected but theres enough peolpe who want to just bulldoze the trail completly for parking lots and other junk, you are not doing us any favors by bad mouthing it,even after a 80 mile day straight uphill in the rain and sleet
its probably unwise to say " unspoken" as a lot of people are VERY vocal about each of these but the OFFICIAL rules of the shelters are i believe limited to the usual " no fire except in established rings" " pack out everything you pack in " " make sure to use lime in the privy" and " bear bag all goodies as early in the evening as possible" these are simply the top 15 things i have come across that is guaranteed to piss off fellow hikers please post if you have another to add:sun

shelters suck. only fools use them

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-19-2008, 06:34
Since both He_dino and I are snorers we tent - and away from shelters. Does them mean we have good shelter etiquette even though we don't use them? :D

(Good to see LW has spoken - we knew it was coming :D)

Tinker
05-19-2008, 08:23
White footed mice breed in shelters. They are major carriers of the immature life stages of deer ticks (Ixodes Scapularis) which carry Lyme (not Lymes ;)) disease - another reason to avoid shelters.
As far as dogs go, this would also be my only major objection to them being in a shelter unless they are unruly or muddy or the shelter was packed. Best to bring a tarp for fido or have him sleep in your tent vestibule.

Cookerhiker
05-19-2008, 08:43

Now c'mon Wolf, stop beating around the bush. Tell us how you really feel?:D

mrc237
05-19-2008, 08:59

Rule # 16!!!!!!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-19-2008, 09:00
Rule # 16!!!!!!:DCouldn't we just make it rule #1 and then we won't need the other 15 :D

mrc237
05-19-2008, 09:08
Couldn't we just make it rule #1 and then we won't need the other 15 :D

Let the packsniffers think there following along then slam 'em!!! :)

Skyline
05-19-2008, 09:11
I'd say don't leave food or other things behind at a shelter. Ultimately they will need to get packed out by someone.

As a shelter maintainer, I absolutely agree.

When you leave behind anything, intentionally or not, it seems to act as a permission slip for those who come behind you to leave all their unwanted stuff. Your small "gift" soon becomes a bigger, heavier, messier large pile of junk. Few if any hikers actually take this stuff. Sometimes the food even attracts unwanted critters big and small.

Eventually, we maintainers wind up having to pack it out. Not fun.

If you are carrying food or gear you don't want or can't use, please don't leave it at shelters. A much better idea would be to leave it in hiker boxes at hostels, motels, etc.

rafe
05-19-2008, 09:16

You're slacking, wolf. I expected that comment 44 posts ago.

rafe
05-19-2008, 09:19
Let the packsniffers think there following along then slam 'em!!! :)

Slam 'em? :-? What's that supposed to mean? You don't stay at shelters -- so what's your concern with those who do?

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 09:20
You're slacking, wolf. I expected that comment 44 posts ago.

It's hiker season and Trail Days - he's been busy helping the fools. ;)

max patch
05-19-2008, 09:21
Since both He_dino and I are snorers we tent - and away from shelters. Does them mean we have good shelter etiquette even though we don't use them? :D

yes....

ki0eh
05-19-2008, 09:57
My own rule on first arriving at a shelter if I'm going to stay there (not common): Take a top bunk! :)

Last shelter we were going to stay at was (a) full and (b) in addition, contained two intact male dogs that were starving and trying to get "friendly" with each other, that did not belong to any of the shelter occupants but to a couple of locals we had seen on the other side of the mountain - 8 mi away - looking for them.

At that point I invoked rule #18, which was "upon encountering conditions (a) and (b) above, move on three miles to the Doyle." :D

Unfortunately for us the h*** dogs then invoked the same rule, which actually turned out well for them because they had a tag with a phone number and one of us had a cell phone with battery life remaining, and turned out well for us as we were rid of the dogs even before town.

Heater
05-19-2008, 11:03
Gearhead and gram weenie chit chat gets old after a while too.

His dumb jokes crack me up sometimes. :o:):D

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 21:18
If you sleep on a top bunk, do the mice still run over you and all like that???

Captain
05-23-2008, 21:22
hopefully

Tin Man
05-23-2008, 21:47
If you sleep on a top bunk, do the mice still run over you and all like that???

hopefully

definitely

Jack Tarlin
05-24-2008, 13:25
Quick thoughts:

* Dogs don't belong in shelters and it's not fair to put folks on the spot, i.e.
just cuz nobody's ever complained about your pet doesn't mean they don't
want the dog there. Maybe they just don't want to make waves and be
seen as the bad guy, so they say nothing. Dogs get on people's stuff,
they go where they shouldn't, beg food, piss wherever, including on packs;
and they ALL, without exception have fleas, ticks and other vermin. They
don't belong in shelters, period.

* If you're gonna leave at dawn, you should avoid staying in shelters. It is
simply not possible to pack up all your stuff in the dark and get out without
disturbing other people. Likewise, if you arrive at a shelter after dark,
unless the weather is awful, you should tent. Moving into a shelter makes
as much noise as moving out.

*Would add one more "rule." Be leery of sharing your musical talents with
your shelter mates. In all likelihood, you're not as good a musician or singer
as you might think, and the fact that nobody's pointed this out to you
doesn't mean it ain't true.

*Gotta disagree with the "rule" about cooking in a shelter. People do this all
the time. Don't worry about the bears.....I assure you they already know
you're there. Hang your food bag in serious bear country and don't leave
stuff out for the mice and you shouldn't have a problem.

*If you know you have a serious snoring problem, unless the weather is awful,
you should tent. Likewise, if you're overly sensitive about snoring and other
night noises, you should also tent. Six or seven people sleeping in the same
place generate noise. If this bothers you or is likely to, sleep somewhere
else.

*Lastly, gotta agree with Wolf. I only use shelters when they're empty or
when there's rain of biblical proportions. I don't go out there to sleep in a
box. Funny thing......everyone has their personal shelter horror story, or
has a list of shelter peeves. There's an easy remedy to shelter woes......
don't stay in 'em.

rafe
05-24-2008, 13:54
18. People with digestive issues should stay in tents.

Tin Man
05-24-2008, 14:35
And if you have a problem with people not following the rules mentioned in the thread and in Jack's thoughtful post, then don't stay in shelters, because people either don't know the rules or don't care.

superman
05-24-2008, 14:46
Shelters are evil, people who stay in shelters are funny looking and have you noticed that my name is green?

sheepdog
05-24-2008, 16:06
have you noticed that my name is green?
Way to go superman. I just hope that ain't kryptonite green.;)

Captain
05-25-2008, 22:14
what does a green name mean

4eyedbuzzard
05-25-2008, 22:22
what does a green name mean

I think donating member's names are in green.

Tin Man
05-25-2008, 22:38
Don't know what etiquette number we are up to, but leave Cujo at home should be in there. We tried to stop in at Morgan Stewart shelter today to sign the register, but Cujo got all mean and nasty. I even got down low and offered my hand in friendship - nada. The owner came over and apologized. I said no problem, but I should have told him to leave the mutt home next time.

Captain
05-25-2008, 23:42
reminds me of show i was watching on animal planet its where they interviewed people about various topics in life and they took the poeples voices and put clay-mation animals like they were the ones talking to fit the situation my favorite is the segment they did asking all these old people what its like living in a nursing home and they compared it to like animals talking about what its like in a zoo

Red Hat
05-26-2008, 16:54
Captain, I agree with your shelter rules. I don't like dogs in shelters, but am usually too polite to say anything (to the owner or anyone else later). I don't like being awakened by hikers leaving in the morning dark. (I usually am up by 7 or so) I confess that when I was heavier, I did snore, but my husband says that stopped when I lost weight. If you catch my sawing wood, poke me and I'll turn over. I cook at a table if there is one, but hang my food away from the shelter. Hope our compadres follow these rules too!