PDA

View Full Version : Kent CT north Sun-Tues

Dingus Khan
05-17-2008, 08:22
Hey All,

I was planning on doing a mini section from kent - ?, nobo starting tomorrow (sun) and ending tuesday. starting point rt 55, head south, touch the ny line, turn around and head north. night one at either schagiticoke mtn campsite or mt algo lean to, depending on what time i set foot on the trail...
day two head north to cornwall bridge etc...

under normal conditions 12-15 miles is pretty standard for me unless my knees crap out, or feel great at which point i can go 18-20 ish.
i don't like feeling rushed and would rather enjoy myself than get to my destination and having the day be a blur.

if anyone is interested in joining up pm me so that we can finalize plans.
also, does anyone know of a local shuttle? i am familiar with the berkshire shuttle system in ma, but it seems there is nothing in the kent-cornwall-salisbury area except for the "greater danbury" system which does not go that far north. i would also be interested in local trail angels that will shuttle for cash.
any information would be of great help.
thanks

Dingus Khan
05-17-2008, 08:23
ps- i am also very comfy hitching, but this area is renown for blowing by you at 60mph....

sasquatch2014
05-17-2008, 11:56
You said the berkshires? I may be intrested if you are from that area in working out a trade in shuttle. Going up there in a week or so and may need some help not sure yet. Send me a PM if intrested.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 22:54
I may be available for shuttling. pm me if you are interested.

Dingus Khan
05-18-2008, 06:06
pm sent

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 06:14
Got it, but can't make it today.

Dingus Khan
05-18-2008, 06:24
k thanks for the offer

wystiria
05-19-2008, 09:19
Hey there - I am late to this but hope you are out having a great time!!! we wouldn't have been able to join up with you but look forward to hearing how you hike went. You can find us in all the registers thru that section :)

Dingus Khan
05-20-2008, 16:31
thanks!

i just got back, had a great 3 days! i started by rt 55 after having a great hitch-hiking experience from Salisbury (only took 3 rides and 45 minutes!! surprised to say the least!!) hit the trail by around 9:15 which was a lot earlier than expected. i stayed first night at the stewart brook shelter by myself, great area along the housatonic. i had expected to stay at mt algo, but seeing as how i had been making good time and had an early start decided to stretch day one out. it started raining around 2-3 pm and i pulled in in good spirits, just wet. i crossed plenty of boy scouts who looked happy, tired and ready to go home. im kind of glad they were headed the opposite direction as myself...lol
2nd day i woke up late, hit the trail at around 9:30 and quickly realized my knees were not ready for another 17 miler... so i happily strolled along the river walk and thoroughly enjoyed it. there was a campsite at 13 miles, but i ended up crashing at pine swamp lean to with 3 thrus (transfat, liquid and one more, whose trail name i missed). another gentleman was there, in his 50's, living in shelters until he could pay off his credit card debt. i guess thats one way to do it... "trail mark" was his name. we all slept well and what little rain we had had during the day passed.
this am liquid and transfat took off at around 6:30 planning on doing 28 miles i left at 7 and was (quickly) passed by the 3rd thru, who i think may have been "donkey legs" but i never confirmed it...
my car was in Salisbury, untouched. i always get slightly bothered by ditching a ride, but it wasn't left in the hiker parking lot, so maybe "incognito" worked again.
i had previously done these areas in bits and pieces, but wanted to complete them in a one trip stretch to give the well traveled state of CT a bit more credit. i unfortunately didn't head south at rt 55 first to go and touch the NY border, i believe it would have only added 2 miles to my day... shame on me.

have a great one.

wystiria
05-27-2008, 09:42
nice report! hmmm seems there are a few characteres living in shelters recently....seems there is on in Kaywood LNT as well!