PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles in carry-on baggage?

kgilby
05-17-2008, 11:56
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm sure someone here will know - Are trekking poles ever allowed in carry-on baggage? I've looked at the TSA rules and it looks like they would be an item that might be considered a 'gray area' type thing.

anarky321
05-17-2008, 12:25
no - its practically a spear!

rafe
05-17-2008, 12:29
I wouldn't trust TSA as far as I could throw them.

kgilby
05-17-2008, 12:47
I agree that they could be used that way, but umbrellas and walking canes are allowed, and they could be just as dangerous. There is certainly no point in taking a chance, however, and that means we'll struggle along without them. I already feel like I'm pushing it taking the fly rod and flies - just think of all those sharp hooks... Thanks for your posts.

Tractor
05-17-2008, 13:41
I did a little research on this last year. Some have been successful, some have not. Some TSA personnel have told me and others it would be OK and other TSA personnel have said the opposite. From related experience I have found one airport may allow something and another not allow it. I stuck my sticks in the pack and checked it both ways last year and didn't pack the stove or empty fuel bottle just in case.

kgilby
05-17-2008, 18:58
We checked ours last year on a trip to NH, along with our empty stove, with no problem. We generally don't check any bags, unless we're going to actually take the backpacks, which we're not doing this trip. We may not be doing much in the way of strenuous hiking this trip anyway - I've heard a lot of the trails are still snow covered. Either way it's going to beat working.

Pokey2006
05-17-2008, 20:23
You can also mail them to your destination. Or buy cheap Wal-Mart ones when you get there.

kgilby
05-18-2008, 12:49
You can also mail them to your destination. Or buy cheap Wal-Mart ones when you get there.

Picking up a cheap pair at WalMart - that's a great idea. Or maybe some place might rent them. Thanks.

Chicken Feathers
05-21-2008, 10:11
I have flown many times with my checked poles have never had a problem. I am headed West this Summer with my poles in the checked bag:banana:banana

weary
05-21-2008, 10:26
My wife and I have carried our hiking sticks with us several times on plane flights. The security people inisted on running them through the scanner, but handed them back to us as soon as they had checked out the poles and our shoes.

Once on board we put them in the overhead racks until we landed at our destination.

We checked ahead of time and were told that if we needed them for walking they were allowed. Ours were homemade sticks. But the same rules apply to any walking aid device. I would advise putting rubber caps on the sharp points, however.

Weary

JDCool1
05-22-2008, 14:55
I have checked my poles through in both my pack and in round boxes I bought from the post office. Checking them through has been the best. Had some differences of opinion when carrying them on to the flight. I would be safe, check them through