PDA

View Full Version : Trail runner water proofing?

Foyt20
05-17-2008, 15:21
I got a pair of trail runners that i really like (NB 908's). My question is should i put any waterproofing or anything of that nature on them? I have a bottle of TX Direct that i could throw on them. Would that do anything , or should i just rely on the "quick drying" properties.

Mother's Finest
05-17-2008, 15:32
quick drying properties. do not waste your time with anything else.

peace
mf

Jimmers
05-17-2008, 15:34
I'd forget about trying to waterproof trail runners, it's a pointless exercise. Just accept that your feet are going to get wet and plan accordingly. You'll be surprised at how quickly your feet will dry out compared to the swampfoot you get with wet boots.

Foyt20
05-17-2008, 15:40
Nice. Thanks for the quick responses :D

Summit
05-17-2008, 17:30
Yep, don't bother with waterproofing. If you really want dry feet, try SealSkinz or Gortex socks. I really like my SealSkinz. ;)

elray
05-17-2008, 19:01
I've always given my Trail Runners a generous coating of silicon spray, let dry and repeat several times before the first wearing. This of course won't make them waterproof but they will shed some moisture, the main reason though is that they seem to remain clean much longer. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

mudhead
05-17-2008, 19:57
I've always given my Trail Runners a generous coating of silicon spray, let dry and repeat several times before the first wearing. This of course won't make them waterproof but they will shed some moisture, the main reason though is that they seem to remain clean much longer. Give it a try, I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Do you get more mileage out of them, give or take, this way?

fiddlehead
05-17-2008, 21:06
Here's something I've done in the past: Take a 1 pint or 1 quart ziplock and cut it or tear it in half at the seams. Punch two holes in it and attach your shoelaces (above the last holes) through these two holes so that the ziplock half will be covering the front of your shoes. This works ok sometimes for walking in rain but will not help for fording rivers or anything like that.
Just do this when it is raining or very wet as they will wear out pretty fast of course.
I don't do it anymore, i just learned to walk in wet feet. It's not a big deal as i wear fleece socks and they keep me warm even when wet.