PDA

View Full Version : will I stay dry?

Bear Cables
05-17-2008, 16:14
During our upcoming 8 day hike we will be sleeping in shelters except for one night. I really hate to bring the tent for just one night but not sure I can hack just sleeping under the tarp. I'm thinking about just packing the tarp and the screen part of the tent, and pitching it under the tarp. Will I stay dry under the tarp in a heavy rain. Any advice on the best way to pitch the tarp so I will stay dry?

Summit
05-17-2008, 17:19
How can you be certain the shelters you intend to stay at will not be full when you arrive? You should always be prepared to tent if necessary. It's not cool to walk up to a full shelter and whine that you do not have a tent, implying that someone should give up their shelter spot.

Some seem to do quite well and not mind sleeping under a tarp. How dry you stay depends on your tarping skills, wind, and ground conditions. I prefer to carry a < 4 lb. tent and not worry about all those variables! ;)

saimyoji
05-17-2008, 17:31
How can you be certain the shelters you intend to stay at will not be full when you arrive? You should always be prepared to tent if necessary. It's not cool to walk up to a full shelter and whine that you do not have a tent, implying that someone should give up their shelter spot.

Some seem to do quite well and not mind sleeping under a tarp. How dry you stay depends on your tarping skills, wind, and ground conditions. I prefer to carry a < 4 lb. tent and not worry about all those variables! ;)

1st paragraph unnecessary, given you knew she's brining the tarp.

Rhonda, search WB for tarp pitches, also search the internet for tarp pitches, you'll find info faster than waiting for responses here (if you hadn't thought to do that yet). If you give us more info on the type of tarp, tent 'screen' you have, it will be easier to give you good advice. :sun

Bear Cables
05-17-2008, 18:18
1st paragraph unnecessary, given you knew she's brining the tarp.

Rhonda, search WB for tarp pitches, also search the internet for tarp pitches, you'll find info faster than waiting for responses here (if you hadn't thought to do that yet). If you give us more info on the type of tarp, tent 'screen' you have, it will be easier to give you good advice. :sun

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889
The tent part is a Eureka spitfire (see above link) The tarp is a 6x8 ultra light tarp. wt. 16 oz. I will check out the links you mentioned. I've bee exprimenting with pitch and putting the tent under...seems like a good method. I'd be bringing the tarp anyway so I thought having a tarp and rain fly would be redundant.

Summit
05-17-2008, 18:49
1st paragraph unnecessary, given you knew she's brining the tarp.I disagree as Rhonda assumed she would only have to depend on it one night . . . could be more! ;)

Two Speed
05-18-2008, 05:29
Rhonda, looking at the dimensions of the tent and considering a 6' x 8' tarp . . . I'm not getting a good feeling about being able to cover the length of that tent with that tarp. Looks like a formula for a soggy toes or something, if the wind's blowing much while it's raining. Scrunching up in a tent, trying to avoid wind blown rain while the bathtub floor fills up rarely leads to a good night's sleep.

Have you tried pitching that tarp over that tent body, and if so how did you feel about the coverage? You may be able to figure out a diamond style pitch, where you're taking advantage of the 10' diagonal to cover the 9' lenght of the tent, but I'd want to practice that a good bit before taking it in the woods.

If it was me I'd do some serious "backyard testing" before taking that rig out for a hike. Just a suggestion, but you might do better to ditch the tent body entirely. That would allow a "low and tight" pitch instead of having the tarp pitched so high to clear the tent.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 09:18
I disagree as Rhonda assumed she would only have to depend on it one night . . . could be more! ;)

Okay, assuming I will have more than one night using the tarp over my tent or just the tarp. The question is the same. How dry can you stay using just a tarp should it downpour? I did look at different pitches and will practice them.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 09:20
Rhonda, looking at the dimensions of the tent and considering a 6' x 8' tarp . . . I'm not getting a good feeling about being able to cover the length of that tent with that tarp. Looks like a formula for a soggy toes or something, if the wind's blowing much while it's raining. Scrunching up in a tent, trying to avoid wind blown rain while the bathtub floor fills up rarely leads to a good night's sleep.

Have you tried pitching that tarp over that tent body, and if so how did you feel about the coverage? You may be able to figure out a diamond style pitch, where you're taking advantage of the 10' diagonal to cover the 9' lenght of the tent, but I'd want to practice that a good bit before taking it in the woods.

If it was me I'd do some serious "backyard testing" before taking that rig out for a hike. Just a suggestion, but you might do better to ditch the tent body entirely. That would allow a "low and tight" pitch instead of having the tarp pitched so high to clear the tent.

I made the same observation when doing a practice pitch with it. It's close. I am tempted to go with the tarp alone but still want to be able to stay dry especially since I have a down bag.

Two Speed
05-18-2008, 09:30
If you've looked at the best pitch you can figure and you're still concerned I think you have the answer to your original question.

I'm just transitioning to tarps myself, so I can't offer a lot of advice, but it sure looks like you'd stay dryer if you ditch the tent body and go with a ground cloth, and possibly some bug repellant. BTW, the ground cloth can be handy in shelters, too. Some shelter floors are downright grungy and a ground cloth helps you keep your gear clean.

I'd recommend not staying in shelters. Between the mice and grunge I just don't like most shelters all that much. However that is your decision, so HYOH and all that jazz.

Last thing I'm gonna say is it looks like you're asking the right questions.

Now, maybe someone with more experience with tarps would like to join in?

mrc237
05-18-2008, 09:49
Will I stay dry? Probably not! It seems to me that if you have to ask questions about tarping you probably should not try it until you have had more experience tenting etc. if the section you are hiking has alot of other hikers you will need to find other shelter. Best to carry a tent.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 10:21
Will I stay dry? Probably not! It seems to me that if you have to ask questions about tarping you probably should not try it until you have had more experience tenting etc. if the section you are hiking has alot of other hikers you will need to find other shelter. Best to carry a tent.

Well I have had a few years experience with tenting....all my life and 11 on the trail with my pack. I've set up tarps for dining and day shelter and to cover gear with on canoe trip just never have slept under one in the rain. So it's a matter of trying out something new.

pyroman53
05-18-2008, 10:25
What happened to the rain fly for your tent? Why not carry it? My guess is it isn't any heavier than the tarp. What would be the advantage of using the tarp vs. rain fly?

Summit
05-18-2008, 10:56
A floorless tarp tent (some have them) and a down bag is a recipe for potential misery! IF I were to do the floorless tarp tent thing, I would definitely go with a synthetic bag that will provide warmth even if it should get wet.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 11:10
What happened to the rain fly for your tent? Why not carry it? My guess is it isn't any heavier than the tarp. What would be the advantage of using the tarp vs. rain fly?

Well I was trying to figure out how tho "have my cake and eat it too". I hike with the tarp for sheltering while cooking or in camp in case of rain so I don't have to hang out in my tent when there is no shelter. So I thought I could ditch the rain fly and double the use of the tarp. Now I think I may just take the weight of the tarp and full tent or try to hammock.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 11:11
A floorless tarp tent (some have them) and a down bag is a recipe for potential misery! IF I were to do the floorless tarp tent thing, I would definitely go with a synthetic bag that will provide warmth even if it should get wet.

Good point .

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 11:12
I am getting the idea that maybe it's not as possible to stay dry when tarp tenting as it is in a full tent.

Skyline
05-18-2008, 11:25
Some more questions:

What is the combined weight of the flyless tent body, and the tarp? Is it in the 3-4 # area?

If so (my math shows it likely to be just under 4#), there are traditional 2-person tents that would meet the same weight criteria and eliminate most of the weather issues we've been discussing in this thread. You and another hiker could split the weight of such a 2-person tent and be reasonably happy, and independent of shelters.

If you go with a 2-person tarp-tent with a floor you will do even better, weight-wise.

Your current Spitfire fits in that 3-4# weight range with its fly, but is advertised as a solo tent. Your original post mentions "we," a reference to two or more people I assume. Does the other person, or persons, have their own tent/tarp/hammock/bivy? Or will you be squeezing into the Spitfire (not recommended unless you really enjoy spooning!)?

4eyedbuzzard
05-18-2008, 13:06
I am getting the idea that maybe it's not as possible to stay dry when tarp tenting as it is in a full tent.

It's hard to stay truly dry in the woods when it's wet out - period. If it's raining and humid everything winds up kind of damp anyway regardless of your shelter. You get wet getting in and out of your tent to cook, "answer the call", etc. Just make sure to have the tarp or tent and fixin's ready to pitch quickly (in the very top of your pack or an outside pocket, guy lines etc already attached, stakes ready) and do it on ground that is high relative to its surroundings(I know, duh, but you see all sorts of places that look like great tentsites that ain't so great once water starts running and pooling) Ground water runoff, wind, windblown rain, and groundsplatter are all part of the tarp vs tent tradeoff.

Google "tarp bushcraft", and "tarp rigging", etc and check out the videos like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk&feature=related and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo Note though, that you never see any videos of someone trying to rig a tarp in high winds or with a storm already coming right in on them;) Curious huh? Hint, hint, it ain't pretty. Practice helps, but even so... FWIW, small tents aren't the easiest either. I've seen plenty of small tents blown away while being pitched, including my own once. Stake it down right to ground level on the windward side. Don't wait for the wind and rain to start.

On the positive side, I'd say that in normal rain with only light winds, a tarp is a lot more livable than being holed up in a small tent, but I'm a bit claustaphobic.

mrc237
05-18-2008, 13:56
Well I have had a few years experience with tenting....all my life and 11 on the trail with my pack. I've set up tarps for dining and day shelter and to cover gear with on canoe trip just never have slept under one in the rain. So it's a matter of trying out something new.

Well, you should very well know your own capabilities, probably have more experience than most here Something new? Go for it!!!

saimyoji
05-18-2008, 13:59
Yeah, if its only 8 days, and one pound split between "we" take it all and see what works out for you. Now that you've brought it up here, it probably won't rain on the days in question and the whole discussion is moot.

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 14:21
Yeah, if its only 8 days, and one pound split between "we" take it all and see what works out for you. Now that you've brought it up here, it probably won't rain on the days in question and the whole discussion is moot.
Yeah, your probably right. But you know...be prepared! Any way the Hennesy Hammock is looking good to me. 1lb 11 oz for shelter ! And that include a tarp!

Two Speed
05-18-2008, 14:24
Prolly wanna check Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net/). Not a hammocker, but my understading is a lot of hammockers start with a Hennesy, but swap to something else pretty quickly.

Suggestion: PM Frolicking Dinosaurs before laying out the bucks for a Hennesy.

Del Q
05-18-2008, 17:01
I just switched to a Tarptent, already have hiking poles why carry tent poles, after last hike, weight keeps dropping, past avg 40-42 lbs, new total is about 32-33 with food & water for 4 days.

Tent yes, lighter is better. Much more enjoyable way to walk, especially with hard ups!

Bear Cables
05-18-2008, 19:23
I just switched to a Tarptent, already have hiking poles why carry tent poles, after last hike, weight keeps dropping, past avg 40-42 lbs, new total is about 32-33 with food & water for 4 days.

Tent yes, lighter is better. Much more enjoyable way to walk, especially with hard ups!

I am three weeks away from our hike and still considering alternative sheltering. I could go with what I have, a 3lb 11oz spitfire and my 16 oz tarp for weather situations and my base weight is 18 lbs give or take an oz or two. If I add the bear canister I go up 2.5 lbs, still debating that with myself. But as you said I'm getting lighter each trip. I think I was around 32 lbs last summer .