PDA

View Full Version : Reduced fat cheese last longer?

saimyoji
05-17-2008, 17:41
Found some reduced fat Cabot cheeses at the store recently. 50% and 75% reduced fat. Will the reduced fat content allow the cheese to last longer on the trail? (I'm guessing yes). I'm not concerned with the reduced caloric value (actually I like that part).

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Appalachian Tater
05-17-2008, 18:36
Does hard cheese go bad? The oil oozes out in the heat, but it doesn't go bad. Cold weather, no problem. Hard cheeses are aged for years. Oil is a preservative though.

I'm guessing that it won't go bad either way, won't last an appreciably longer or shorter time, but won't be as oily if it gets hot.

Tin Man
05-17-2008, 20:41
If you take the fat out of cheese, is it still cheese?

budforester
05-17-2008, 22:53
Found some reduced fat Cabot cheeses at the store recently. 50% and 75% reduced fat. Will the reduced fat content allow the cheese to last longer on the trail? (I'm guessing yes). I'm not concerned with the reduced caloric value (actually I like that part).

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Here's a link (https://www.shopcabot.com/pages/products/light.php) to Cabot's website. They promote their reduced- fat cheddar as "perfect" for lunch boxes, backpacks, briefcases, so I feel their customer service department should be able to quote some shelf- life data for such environments.

desdemona
05-17-2008, 23:47
Look at cheese sticks. I think they last a LONG time, and seem to be less effected by heat. Of course, I am not altogether convinced they are real food either. They don't appear to have additives but I remain skeptical.

--des

Tin Man
05-18-2008, 00:40
Anyone had real French cheese? The U.S. stuff is gross in comparison.

Alligator
05-18-2008, 12:44
Look at cheese sticks. I think they last a LONG time, and seem to be less effected by heat. Of course, I am not altogether convinced they are real food either. They don't appear to have additives but I remain skeptical.

--desAlong these lines, near the cheese sticks there are sometimes small individually wrapped "block" cheddars, about 12-16 package. They are only about an ounce but may be useful for some people.

Compass
05-18-2008, 13:34
Cheap processed cheeses(esp. Kraft) give of more oils than quality cheese. Like cheap pizza sometimes comes flooded with oil.

When Hiking I look for ways to Maximize good fat(EVOO) intake. Fat has more than twice the calories per ounce(240 cal.) than any other staple without fat. Just remember that if you are oxygen deprived (out of breath) your body can only burn glycogen (blood sugar) and existing muscle not fat. So it is a good idea to stop and catch your breath.