PDA

View Full Version : light 6000+cu backpack

anarky321
05-18-2008, 17:02
i need something thats at least 6000cu (preferably 6500cu) but that doesnt weigh much

im going to be carrying a z-rest in it so i think i can go frameless and it wont ever carry more than 25-30lbs so it can be made of lighter materials

dimensions wise, i looked at a Kelty Redcloud 6650 today and its great, but its almost 7 pounds, way too heavy

i need something 4lbs MAX, preferably 2.5-3.5

Phreak
05-18-2008, 17:48
I don't know of any pack of 6000+ cu in that doesn't weigh at least 6+ pounds.

I'm sure someone on here can offer more assistance.

JWren
05-18-2008, 17:56
Why do you need that much space for 25-30 lbs, most are used to carry heavey weight like 50-60lbs, but one that is only 6lbs and 5oz there is the Osprey Argon 110 http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=120&colorCode=632&tab=description

but one at 4lbs is hard

JWren
05-18-2008, 17:58
Can you not pack small, i carry about 20 in an Osprey atmos, surely you could fit all your gear in an Aether

Aether Link
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/

JWren
05-18-2008, 17:58
I Like Osprey

Egads
05-18-2008, 18:00
Moonbow Gearskin - up to 6500 ci - 1.4 lbs

Osprey Argon 110 - 6700 ci - 6.5 lbs

Gregory Whitney 95 - 5800 ci - 6.75 lbs

Granite Gear Stratus Access FZ5500 - 5500 ci - 5.9 lbs

KG4FAM
05-18-2008, 18:10
I always find my loads equaling about 10 lbs per 1000 cubic inch so with never going over 30 lbs that would be 3000 cubic inches with the kinds of things I carry (regular gear). Also don't go straight to the pack to cut weight. That is the thing that thing that you interact with the most so a little bit of extra weight to comfortably carry a load goes a long way. I have a 3200 ci pack that weighs almost five pounds and have never had an uncomfortable load even with about 75 lbs strapped on.

saimyoji
05-18-2008, 18:21
I always find my loads equaling about 10 lbs per 1000 cubic inch so with never going over 30 lbs that would be 3000 cubic inches with the kinds of things I carry (regular gear). Also don't go straight to the pack to cut weight. That is the thing that thing that you interact with the most so a little bit of extra weight to comfortably carry a load goes a long way. I have a 3200 ci pack that weighs almost five pounds and have never had an uncomfortable load even with about 75 lbs strapped on.

what pack?

KG4FAM
05-18-2008, 18:27
what pack?Dana Design Bomb Pack. I take it out on short weekend camp outs to places about a mile or two with non backpacking friends and load it up with all the heavy things. One time I had six car camping sleeping bags, one of those two room family tents from walmart, my hammock and double snivel gear for myself and various other crap.

Tobit
05-18-2008, 18:52
Dana Design
Must be an old pack. Dana Design was merged into Marmot back in 2005. I haven't see an original Dana Design pack since around the time K2 acquired Dana back in 1996. :D

tomsawyer222
05-18-2008, 18:52
McHale the only way to go

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/index.htm

NICKTHEGREEK
05-18-2008, 18:57
Dana Design Bomb Pack. I take it out on short weekend camp outs to places about a mile or two with non backpacking friends and load it up with all the heavy things. One time I had six car camping sleeping bags, one of those two room family tents from walmart, my hammock and double snivel gear for myself and various other crap.
6 car camping sleeping bags in one pack????????? Good imagination

Summit
05-18-2008, 19:47
McHale the only way to go

http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/index.htmAt those prices, the McHale pack better beat me to my campsite and have my tent set up when I arrive! :eek: :D

KG4FAM
05-18-2008, 20:10
6 car camping sleeping bags in one pack????????? Good imagination
they weren't actually in it, but strapped on the outside.

Squeamish
05-21-2008, 20:44
Try an Osprey or Arc'Teryx or Gregory. I'm not sure that an osprey will be thae right move for you because since you're only 23, your shape can change. The osprey has a molded hip belt that will need to be re-molded if your body changes shape. 6000 cu in sounds a bit big. I will be doing five days on the AT starting on Demascus on July and will be using a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian that is 4200 cu in. Oh, if you trade your z-lite in for a Big Agnes Clearview (about the same weight) you can save even more space and it is hugely comftorble.

anarky321
05-21-2008, 23:03
im leaving for vacation in 4 days so i just went and bought the Kelty Red Cloud 6650...and i couldnt be happier..its a bit heavy but SOOOO comfortable... that lumbar support is godly compared to my previous pack; it dont want to say it fits me perfectly but its the best ive ever had; anyways im 6'4" and i have the back support velcro'ed to the very top of the rails (the straps are attached to a sliding back support for different torso lengths) and the straps pulled tight and it hugs your back like nothing ive worn before

oh and its got enough space to fit my tent+2 torso z-rests + clothes +food....yea everything

anyways my weight is still under 25lbs even with the heavier pack and the extra volume is very very nice

thanks for everyone's help

anarky321
05-21-2008, 23:43
lol roommate just sold me his Camp Trails Apollo 3 for $20...so im returning the Red Cloud tomorrow

its a great pack...just not great enough to make up for the $200 price difference lol

the apollo has side-straps that go down the sides diagonally 3x..its like they were made for strapping on z-rests

Egads
05-22-2008, 07:00
Just a dumb question, but why do you want such a large pack? Are you trying to outdo Minnesota Smith?

Hooch
05-22-2008, 07:16
Just a dumb question, but why do you want such a large pack?

That's my quetion, is why in the world would you want, or for that matter, need a pack that huge? If you're going to carry a 25-30# load, you can obviously do with a much smaller and lighter pack, probably no more than 3600cu. That said, if you're dead set on a pack much, much bigger than most people will ever need, you'll be hard pressed to find a pack that big under 6#. A pack that large is designed to carry very large, heavy loads, so you definitely won't find one frameless. If you decide to come to your senses and choose a pack much better suited to the load you'll be carrying, you've got plenty of choices. Just go to a reputable outfitter, let them know what you need and let them fit you with the right pack. Good luck!

anarky321
05-22-2008, 12:11
did you even read the thread? ive said it like 5 times - because i have lightweight stuff that takes up alot of volume and i dont want to strap it to the outside of the pack

envirodiver
05-22-2008, 12:19
Must be an old pack. Dana Design was merged into Marmot back in 2005. I haven't see an original Dana Design pack since around the time K2 acquired Dana back in 1996. :D

Dana Design made great packs. I have an Alpine that I've owned for probably 15 or so years and it's still in great shape. Truly bombproof packs. Weighs a bunch, I don't use it much anymore, but it's nice for winter trips or where I'm hiking in a few miles and setting up a base camp.

greentick
05-22-2008, 12:25
lol roommate just sold me his Camp Trails Apollo 3 for $20...so im returning the Red Cloud tomorrow

its a great pack...just not great enough to make up for the $200 price difference lol

the apollo has side-straps that go down the sides diagonally 3x..its like they were made for strapping on z-rests

Dude, your screen name describes your thought processes perfectly! I have been following your tent, now pack, etc sagas. I hope you have a great trip.

Hooch
05-22-2008, 13:17
i need something thats at least 6000cu (preferably 6500cu) but that doesnt weigh much

im going to be carrying a z-rest in it so i think i can go frameless and it wont ever carry more than 25-30lbs so it can be made of lighter materials

dimensions wise, i looked at a Kelty Redcloud 6650 today and its great, but its almost 7 pounds, way too heavy

i need something 4lbs MAX, preferably 2.5-3.5

im leaving for vacation in 4 days so i just went and bought the Kelty Red Cloud 6650...and i couldnt be happier..its a bit heavy but SOOOO comfortable... that lumbar support is godly compared to my previous pack; it dont want to say it fits me perfectly but its the best ive ever had; anyways im 6'4" and i have the back support velcro'ed to the very top of the rails (the straps are attached to a sliding back support for different torso lengths) and the straps pulled tight and it hugs your back like nothing ive worn before

oh and its got enough space to fit my tent+2 torso z-rests + clothes +food....yea everything

anyways my weight is still under 25lbs even with the heavier pack and the extra volume is very very nice

thanks for everyone's help

did you even read the thread? ive said it like 5 times - because i have lightweight stuff that takes up alot of volume and i dont want to strap it to the outside of the pack
Yes, I read the thread thoroughly, thank you very much. And in reading said thread not in one place does it say that you "have lightweight stuff that takes up alot of volume and i don't want to strap it to the outside of the pack", much less 5. My point is it's not a very nice thing to get all pissy with people who are curious when they offer the advice you ask for. You're welcome.

anarky321
05-22-2008, 13:29
that was my other thread on the pack; my apologies

Egads
05-22-2008, 18:36
Anarky,

I just read some of your other threads.

HYOH does not apply when you ask for advice and you don't like the advice you get.

Good luck with your gear purchases and enjoy your camping.

Egads