PDA

View Full Version : Req info from NYC southwards

Kal
05-18-2008, 17:55
Hi,

I'm planning to hike the AT this summer for a month - June or July. I'm planning to start off at the New York City end as I hear that you can easily get to the trail from NYC by bus or train. Then I want to walk two weeks south and then two weeks back up to NYC or four weeks south and then take a train back to NYC. I'm not a fanatical thru-hiker etc, I just want to go for a not-too-stressful month-long walk and, ideally, not have to carry too much.

What I really need to know is whether there are places to buy food, supplies, camping gear etc not more than a days walk apart all along this part of the trail. This would make it easy for me, as if I discover I need anything along the way, I know it's not too far away - I wouldn't have to carry too much water or food and can restock at the end of the day.

Is anyone familiar with this part of the trail? Is the above possible? All advice would be appreciated.

Best

thestin
05-18-2008, 18:09
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Cookerhiker
05-18-2008, 20:17
Some ideas for you to consider:

1. Rather than walk 2 weeks down and 2 weeks back, I suggest you aim for Harpers Ferry where you can take a train to Washington DC and thence a train back to NYC. Depending on your pace, here are options for starting points with the corresponding distances to Harpers Ferry:

a. Train to Pawling, NY to AT trailhead. 424 miles, meaning you average 15 miles per day.

b. Bus to Bear Mountain, NY to AT trailhead. 378 miles

c. Bus to Greenwood Lake, NY & cab or hitch to trailhead on Rt. 17A. 348 miles

d. Bus to Delaware Water Gap, PA where trail crossed Delaware River from NJ into PA. 270 miles

If you're serious about only packing 1-2 days of food at a time, you'll need to allow sufficient time off-trail to resupply. The trade-off is to hike big miles or carry 3-4 days of food.

2. Be prepared for much hotter, muggier weather than you're accustomed to in the UK. This stretch of the AT is all low-elevation so you won't receive the benefit of mountain breezes.

3. Mosquitos will make their presence known through NY and NJ

4. You may want to consider hiking north instead. Bear Mountain NY to Hanover, NH is 344 miles. I believe you can catch a bus in Hanover to Boston thence train to NYC. Hiking north is generally cooler but probably "buggier." It's also more challenging but more so in the second half of your hike. From Bear Mountain NY through most of Massachusetts is fairly easy. But again, there will be times when you should probably carry 3-4 days of food.

rafe
05-18-2008, 21:03
I'm not sure what you're asking... but if you're suggesting a strategy where you only need to carry one or two days worth of food, I'm not sure how you'd pull that off. Three to four days is do-able on this part of the trail, however. If you're thinking of hiking from "inn to inn," I'm afraid the AT isn't going to cut it.

In PA, NJ and MD the AT is never very far from civilization -- but no so close that you could drop into town once a day.