PDA

View Full Version : Tootin' my own horn!

Cuffs
05-18-2008, 18:29
I know many here dont like Backpacker Magazine (myself included.) However, I just HAD to go out and buy the latest copy (June '08.) If you get it, check out the ad for the Alabama Dept of Toursim ad (page 10 in my edition.) Theres a very small photo of 2 hikers looking out over a bluff... the one on the right.... THATS ME!!! I know you all will have a laugh over it, but I'm just tickled about the whole thing!

Skidsteer
05-18-2008, 18:49
I know many here dont like Backpacker Magazine (myself included.) However, I just HAD to go out and buy the latest copy (June '08.) If you get it, check out the ad for the Alabama Dept of Toursim ad (page 10 in my edition.) Theres a very small photo of 2 hikers looking out over a bluff... the one on the right.... THATS ME!!! I know you all will have a laugh over it, but I'm just tickled about the whole thing!

Sell-out. :p

J/K Congrats Cuffs. You're a star!

Cuffs
05-18-2008, 18:59
I had no idea it was even in there! I was just cruising by the magazine rack in Target... wanted to see the dis they did on hammocks and as I was flipping the pages, there it was!

mudhead
05-18-2008, 19:03
Regular famous type!

Must be them thar fancy pink shoes.

bigmac_in
05-18-2008, 19:31
I had no idea it was even in there! I was just cruising by the magazine rack in Target... wanted to see the dis they did on hammocks and as I was flipping the pages, there it was!

The hard core pack sniffers are going to drive you crazy now. They will move all pictures of you in the photo gallery to the "Trail Legends" gallery.

Here is the obligatory smiley so everyone knows I'm kidding - :D.

I'd be excited too. Did you buy a copy :rolleyes:?

generoll
05-18-2008, 19:49
maybe you'll even get a room named after you :)

Cuffs
05-18-2008, 20:28
Of course I bought the issue!
As someone who has yet to thru hike, I dont have the expectation of a room at Ron's being named in my honor, but wishful thinking tho!

bigmac_in
05-18-2008, 20:39
Of course I bought the issue!
As someone who has yet to thru hike, I dont have the expectation of a room at Ron's being named in my honor, but wishful thinking tho!

I don't think you have to be a thru-hiker to be honored. They are just like us, only smellier. Again, I smile - :D.

sonic
05-19-2008, 10:26
I was wondering if they were "real" people or just models. Good for you!:banana

Mags
05-19-2008, 10:35
Woo hoo! I know a hiker celebrity! :)

Good for you!

By coincidence, I bought my first issue of BPer Mag in a several years due to the article on the CDT Yo-Yo. (I'll leave comments for a different thread).

What a bonus you are in it as well. :)

ki0eh
05-19-2008, 13:04
Is that photo location on the GET?

Cuffs
05-19-2008, 13:24
That on the Pinhoti Trail (yes, also the GET) Just south of Cheaha State Park

ki0eh
05-19-2008, 13:58
That sure would be a better photo for the page http://www.greateasterntrail.org/AL.htm then you could be doubly famous! :)

Cuffs
05-19-2008, 14:09
Ive already made a web page appearance so I dont want to be too much of a hog about it... http://hikealabama.org/bp101workshop.html

Mags
05-19-2008, 14:15
I once appeared in a magazine for the outdoors. The magazine folded not too long after my photo appeared. Coincidence? :-?

Cuffs
05-19-2008, 14:35
Oh great, so now I may be wholly responsible for the collapse of BP?! great.....

Cookerhiker
05-19-2008, 14:38
Now that you're a star, demand royalties!:D

Mags
05-19-2008, 14:40
Oh great, so now I may be wholly responsible for the collapse of BP?! great.....

I suspect you are a bit cuter than my ugly mug. :D I would not worry.

Locutus
05-19-2008, 14:47
What is wrong with Backpacker magazine? I was thinking of subbing...

ki0eh
05-19-2008, 14:56
Too many pretty faces, not enough info. :D

Join American Hiking Society and get Backpacker too (that's how I get it): https://americanhiking.org/joinDonate.aspx

tlbj6142
05-19-2008, 15:05
What is wrong with Backpacker magazine? I was thinking of subbing...Nothing really if you are a casual weekend type backpacker.

For the vocal 1% of elitist backpackers (thru-hiker, UL hiker, hammock hiker, crotchety old fart), it sucks because there are too many ads ("Where is the story in the XCT! It is the best trail out there?!?! Stupid rag!"), the wrong ads ("there is a SUV ad on page 6! I'm never going read your rag again!!!"), bias reviews ("They gave the Super Pack 55L a great review because they run a full page ad every month."), the stories don't apply ("There was a story about canoeing and it is a backpacking magazine. What are they thinking?!?!!? I'm never going to read that rag again!!!") or they run Leki ads.

Did I cover everything??

josiblue
05-19-2008, 18:39
Did I cover everything??

pretty much, except the part about how it makes any ol' layabout think they can just go to an outfitters, spend a bunch of dough, and then set off for everest... and the nit about it trying to take away our sense of elitism by making backpacking accessible for anyone who wants to try it... i mean what are they thinking, trying to turn people on to hiking and to make a buck... the nerve.
~josi

Mags
05-19-2008, 18:44
Magazines in general aren't good. That's why I read them for free at the bookstore/library. Cheap bastard that I am... :sun

(I'd argue that most magazines are actually elitist in a way. Implying you need expensive equipment to enjoy recreation. Be it a running mag, hunting mag or an outdoor mag. Perhaps I am crotchety young(ish) fart. )

Montego
05-19-2008, 18:56

Soooo-how would you feel about playing opposite Redford? Inquiring minds want to know :D

Blissful
05-19-2008, 20:02
Way cool about the photo. :)

Some professor took a pic of me after I got down off Roan Mtn and was climbing the next set of balds. It was for a college magazine. I often wonder if it ever got in there.

Cuffs
05-19-2008, 22:39
Soooo-how would you feel about playing opposite Redford? Inquiring minds want to know :D

Not a Redford fan (not anti Redford either).

Put Linus Roache in there and Im all over it!

Montego
05-19-2008, 22:43
Not a Redford fan (not anti Redford either).

Put Linus Roache in there and Im all over it!

ROFLOL.

Tin Man
05-19-2008, 22:48
What is wrong with Backpacker magazine? I was thinking of subbing...

It's kind of hard to find something interesting to read between the ads. It's all ads. If you want to learn something, search or ask here.

I was, ahem, monitoring BP for a long time. Mostly to see which trails were featured. More than once after a trail appeared in BP, it immediately became "popular" and one to avoid, at least for awhile. I am speaking about eastern trails and don't know if the same can be said about western trails.

Cuffs
05-19-2008, 23:17
Almost famous TWICE! in one week!

Im very vocal at city hall (go figure) and the local ABC affiliate was there because of something I had started (cleaning up my neighborhood). It aired 10, but everything I said was talked over by the newscasters and their ideas of what went on... My video was there, but they didnt have to hear me yap!

Tinker
05-19-2008, 23:33

Maybe they'll post an apology to their readers. Did they know you were a Whiteblazer? :p.

sarbar
05-28-2008, 16:12
Loll....I saw this and went and opened my BP mag and yep, there is the ad in the PNW edition. Heh!

Cuffs
05-28-2008, 16:39
That just makes me giggle! That picture is sooooo small, no one would ever know who it is, but *I* know and thats fine with me! (then I had to go blab it all over WB!)