PDA

View Full Version : Need Sleeping Bag Recommendation(s)

riceNbeans
05-18-2008, 19:47
I am looking for a regular length lightweight 20 degree bag that is wider that a normal regular length bag as my shoulders are wide for my height.

I have looked at some of the Big Agnes bags. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

TheChamp
05-18-2008, 20:58
Western Mountaineering Alpinlite (20*, 31oz, nice and roomy...but $400)

hopefulhiker
05-18-2008, 22:05
Montbell series expand with you...
Also you might even consider a down quilt. like Jacks r Better(sale going on now) or Nunatak. I used a quilt and a silk liner with a Big Agnes inusulated air core mattress.. It worked great and more comfortable than a bag for big girth people too..

Wags
05-18-2008, 22:17
just remember if you go w/ the big agnes and stick your pad inside the bag like they recommend you will lose girth

shoe
05-18-2008, 22:37
I second the Montbell. I am a larger than average girl and I just love my sleeping bag.

No Belay
05-18-2008, 22:42
RnB, I use the 10 degree BA Gilpin, the 20 degree BA Zirkle and the 40 degree BA Yumpa. They all are more than adequate for me in the shoulder girth and my shoulders measure 60" at nipple level. I normally use a 3/8ths ensolite pad glued onto a layer of reflectex and custom cut for which ever bag I'm using. This is good until about 20 degrees then I switch to a trimed Insulmat with the inflatable torso section. I've noticed no reduction in girth with either pad. I like the muti bag system because of it's flexibility. I can over bag either of the cooler bags with the Yumpa and gain 10 to 15 degrees. The only glitch I've found with the BA bags is the zipper baffle has a tendency to snag in the zipper more than the 2 Marmot bags I own. Ba makes a good bag and you can own 2 or 3 of them for what you'll pay for a WM or Feathered Friends.

Survivor Dave
05-18-2008, 22:50
I use the Mont-Bell #1 20* U.L. Super Stretch bag, and wouldn't use another. I am very comfortable and warm. The temp rating is conservative, as I have used it in 13* and never felt cold. The stretch feature that is built in, virtually eliminates the cold spots. I use the #5 50*bag for Summer.

As far as room......plenty. I started with the Big Agnes system, and although a fine product, I felt a bit confined. I couldn't sleep on my side like I normally do.

SD

JWren
05-19-2008, 15:28
Feathered Friends, if you have the money

http://www.featheredfriends.com/

LIhikers
05-19-2008, 15:54
I too have a Montbell, UltraLight, SuperStretch, DownHugger and I love it.
I've got the #2, which is rated for 25 degrees F, and have used it comfortably down to 13 degrees by just wearing a layer of winter underwear and shirt.

Quoddy
05-19-2008, 16:11
I had a WM Super Alpenlite and it was a fantstic bag, but was just a little too wide for me. I have a Feathered Friends 20F bag and also a Monbell Super Stretch Downhugger in that range. Since I now have 3 Montbell bags, I guess you'd say I like them, a lot. The ability to have them fairly snug, but at the same time being able to stretch as far I want to is great.

Peaks
05-19-2008, 16:34
All good suggestions, but nothing like going to your local outfitter and trying on a couple of different brands to see what fits you best.

KnowledgeEngine
05-19-2008, 19:21
I'm big on Big Anges. I own a Big Agnes crystal bag good for 30 and I know it keeps me warm @ 30, and can be used partially zipped up to the 50's. What I love about BA bags is I can't roll off the pad, and it works like a champ in my hammock.

Blissful
05-19-2008, 20:23
I just got a Big Agnes bag (Zirkle) here on WB for my big huge hubby and he loves it, fits him great.

rpenczek
05-20-2008, 10:08
If your not a BA fan (I am, have 15 and and 50 degree BA bags) try the Marmot Sawtooth (15 degree down) or the Marmot Trestles (15 degree synthetic) in extra-wide. I am 6'3" and 300Lbs, and before I went to the BA system, my Marmot Trestles worked great and I had plenty of room.

riceNbeans
05-23-2008, 19:31
Thank you, everybody, for some great suggestions!