PDA

View Full Version : My opinion about the gear reps being charged..

TOW
05-18-2008, 22:18
Well I think the gear reps should never be charged a dime, I'm talking about Allyn Morton and his crew. And I am thinking about writing a letter and presenting it to the committee that oversees TD's outlining why I don't think that they ought to be charged.

Sure they benefit from doing all this free work, why should they not?

And TD's was not all that big this year.

No Belay
05-18-2008, 23:01
Hey TOW, Glad to see you survived TDs. I agree with you 102%. The Reps provide a great service to any hiker in need and if I remember correctly TDs used to be all about the hikers. Maybe you should lobby the commitee to change the name to Damascus Pay Days. Hope we can get back to the old Karma and once again make it a celebration of the trail, the mountains and the hikers.

See ya this fall.

Bare Bear
05-19-2008, 10:23
I concur that the reps do a great job and service to hikers.
Putting on a festival has costs. Where else is the money going to come from?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-19-2008, 10:52
While I believe vendors should pay their way, I don't believe they should be charged more than others. I also don't believe people should be charged to get to the gear vendors, but not charged to get to the craft vendors.

TOW
05-19-2008, 12:17
all you got is a handful of gear reps at tent city that were charged $60.00 per rep like Big Agnus, Leki and so on that were offering repairs and other services for free. they were never charged before this year and they offer a great service to the community of hikers as well as the local buisiness community. i know for a fact that they tell people what mt rogers outfitters and sundog outfitters are selling and send people that way.......

Cookerhiker
05-19-2008, 12:22
....And TD's was not all that big this year.

I wasn't there so I didn't see firsthand but I'd appreciate you elaborating on that statement.

No Belay
05-19-2008, 12:22

I agree there are cost but if vendors and reps shoulder that burden they will diminish in number. Wouldn't a fairer way be to collect a percentage of revenue from sales and to charge for entertainment venues instead of milking the folks that are actually providing a worth while service to the hiking community? I'm sure Damascus could have a community festival without the hikers but it would probably pale in comparision to TDs impact on the areas benificial financial gains.

Creek Dancer
05-19-2008, 12:31
You don't get charged to get to the gear vendors or the craft vendors.

You do get charged $5.00 to get into the campground where you will find the gear reps. I was happy to pay the $5.00 for the whole time to cover the expenses for the services I used, such as the bathrooms, showers, porta-johns, campground, trash dumpster, clean up, etc. I should add that our group (Trail Talkers from thebackpacker.com) did a complete sweep of the area we used and cleaned up all trash. I was amazed at the amount of other garbage left in other areas which someone has to clean up now. :(

I don't think the gear reps should have to pay any fees, however.

While I believe vendors should pay their way, I don't believe they should be charged more than others. I also don't believe people should be charged to get to the gear vendors, but not charged to get to the craft vendors.

The New Wally
05-19-2008, 12:39
You don't get charged to get to the gear vendors or the craft vendors.

You do get charged $5.00 to get into the campground where you will find the gear reps. I was happy to pay the $5.00 for the whole time to cover the expenses for the services I used, such as the bathrooms, showers, porta-johns, campground, trash dumpster, clean up, etc. I should add that our group (Trail Talkers from thebackpacker.com) did a complete sweep of the area we used and cleaned up all trash. I was amazed at the amount of other garbage left in other areas which someone has to clean up now. :(

I don't think the gear reps should have to pay any fees, however.
Not all hikers had to pay the $5.00 entry fee. A lot go in for free. I hope the money that was taken in this year does not disappear like it did last year.

warren doyle
05-19-2008, 12:46
Why would you have to repair/fine tune a piece of equipment after only 460 miles of walking anyway?

$1 used ski poles purchased from thrift stores are truly 'reuse/recycle' and help non-profit organizations like Goodwill and Salvation Army.

If it was up to me, I would make it even more unattractive for gear vendors/equipment outfitters to attend Trail Days.

"Used ski-polers of the world unite!
You have nothing to lose but your Lekis!"

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2008, 13:03
If it was up to me, I would make it even more unattractive for gear vendors/equipment outfitters to attend Trail Days.It's a good thing you're completely irrelevant then.

I will point out that if no one bought equipment new, you couldn't buy it used. As usual, you can't see any farther than you can grab.

Creek Dancer
05-19-2008, 13:03
That's right. Some people chose to not to pay and to use the services anyway. :(

Not all hikers had to pay the $5.00 entry fee. A lot go in for free. I hope the money that was taken in this year does not disappear like it did last year.

weary
05-19-2008, 13:30
Why would you have to repair/fine tune a piece of equipment after only 460 miles of walking anyway?

$1 used ski poles purchased from thrift stores are truly 'reuse/recycle' and help non-profit organizations like Goodwill and Salvation Army.

If it was up to me, I would make it even more unattractive for gear vendors/equipment outfitters to attend Trail Days.

"Used ski-polers of the world unite!
You have nothing to lose but your Lekis!"
My 10 year old alder hiking stick (9 ounces, cost 67 cents for a crutch tip) has yet to need any repairs. I use it 4 or 5 times a week. It's especially good at whacking off dead branches when ever I leave the foot path to inspect a flower or a vernal pool.

Weary

Blissful
05-19-2008, 13:46
That's right. Some people chose to not to pay and to use the services anyway. :(

It was my understanding the entry fee was for use of the campground facilities (and to discourage troublemakers from infiltrating the place and stealing gear) not for the ability to see the gear reps about gear-related issues (esp if you have paid for the gear and then are having warranty difficulties that they can address. And yeah, gear can break even after a week of use. My son's North face boots fell apart in one week.). Anyway, my son paid the camping fee 'cause he stayed there, my hubby and I walked over to see what the reps had and then we left (we did not pay the entry fee for the campground).

Creek Dancer
05-19-2008, 13:56
I was referring to using the services of the campground without paying. And no, I don't think you should have to pay to get into the campground to use the services of the reps, but unfortunately that was the way things were set up.

It was my understanding the entry fee was for use of the campground facilities (and to discourage troublemakers from infiltrating the place and stealing gear) not for the ability to see the gear reps about gear-related issues (esp if you have paid for the gear and then are having warranty difficulties that they can address. And yeah, gear can break even after a week of use. My son's North face boots fell apart in one week.). Anyway, my son paid the camping fee 'cause he stayed there, my hubby and I walked over to see what the reps had and then we left (we did not pay the entry fee for the campground).

TOW
05-19-2008, 14:02
I wasn't there so I didn't see firsthand but I'd appreciate you elaborating on that statement.
I don't know the exact estimate, but I don't think there were even 2/3's of last years estimates that were here this year....

MudDuck
05-19-2008, 14:04
all you got is a handful of gear reps at tent city that were charged $60.00 per rep like Big Agnus, Leki and so on that were offering repairs and other services for free. they were never charged before this year and they offer a great service to the community of hikers as well as the local business community. i know for a fact that they tell people what mt rogers outfitters and sundog outfitters are selling and send people that way.......
Hog Wash, they are not there to fix gear and offer services for free. They are there to ADVERTISE!!! The company, "Big Agnus, Leki and so on" pays the fee and are glad to do it. It's the cheapest ADVERTISING they do. They are there to pimp off and SELL SELL SELL that brand. There not paying for the EMPLOYEE and all expenses for him or her to be there so they can "give away" services. It's called MARKETING a business for PROFIT! Which is OK but they shouldn't be "catered" to by the city. Vendors come to TD because they know they have a semi captive audience which has a known interest in their type of product for the purpose to sell you something, THEIR BRAND. "Offering a great service to the community of hikers"? Is that why they set the msrp @ 130.00+ for a pair of poles that cost them 5.00 to make? Giving away services,,,give me a break.:rolleyes:

TOW
05-19-2008, 14:04
The only ones I'm sure that got in for free were the ones that snuck in thru the back door.....

TOW
05-19-2008, 14:08
they made me pay and i was just visiting friends that were there, what kind of bs is this? i live here too!

max patch
05-19-2008, 14:14
they made me pay and i was just visiting friends that were there, what kind of bs is this? i live here too!

I read somewhere -- don't know if its true -- that it costs Damascus $25 per person (on average) which is funded via property taxes. If true, then Damascus residents, both renters and property owners, should be exempted from the additional charge.

TOW
05-19-2008, 14:16
Hog Wash, they are not there to fix gear and offer services for free. They are there to ADVERTISE!!! The company, "Big Agnus, Leki and so on" pays the fee and are glad to do it. It's the cheapest ADVERTISING they do. They are there to pimp off and SELL SELL SELL that brand. There not paying for the EMPLOYEE and all expenses for him or her to be there so they can "give away" services. It's called MARKETING a business for PROFIT! Which is OK but they shouldn't be "catered" to by the city. Vendors come to TD because they know they have a semi captive audience which has a known interest in their type of product for the purpose to sell you something, THEIR BRAND. "Offering a great service to the community of hikers"? Is that why they set the msrp @ 130.00+ for a pair of poles that cost them 5.00 to make? Giving away services,,,give me a break.:rolleyes:
I totally disagree with you! You must be a part of the clan that voted the fee in, because you sound just like someone who comes to visit me from time to time?

So what exactly is wrong with them making money later on down the road from their services? Do you honestly think that all those who use their services at TD's are the ones that is making them filthy rich?

Crap fire! If they keep on screwing around and charging who they should not, those folks will pull out. And if they pull out we will undoubtedly lose some regular vendors from the town park because the TD committee decided to get filthy rich but instead went into the hole!

Lion King
05-19-2008, 14:21

you obviously dont know what you are talking about.

Leki does HUNDREDS of dollars of repair work for free (as well as giving new poles to hikers with damaged poles), as do most other reps there.

I have NEVER had a single one of them try to sale me a thing.

They feed hikers, they repair gear for free, they give away gear, they answer questions and help out.

They shouldnt have to pay, and Im fine with the $5 fee to pay for water and wood but I think the CURRENT Hikers of the year should get in free.

Frau
05-19-2008, 14:38
This TD was my first and I was quite surprised, numerous aspects. (On topic--vendors should pay, but not gear reps. I do have trouble distinguishing between a gear vendor and a gear rep.)

1.) I expected a horde of hikers and I saw only trickles Friday afternoon and Saturday a.m. (Having been to Rolling Thunder in D.C., my expectations were probably too high).

2.) I expected MANY more vendors and gear reps and am still confused as to why all were NOT in the same location.

3.) Finding dog owner's heaven amazed me. I wished I had brought Winston Wonder Dog along.

4.) Finding creekside camping spots was a blessing. I thought every spot to be full for miles around.

5.) It seems like we saw MORE hikers HIKING Sat. afternoon than we did at TD.

Were there fewer attendees?

Frau

D'Artagnan
05-19-2008, 14:42

I believe TOW was referring specifically to Allyn Morton (aka Mr. Fix-It) who DOES donate his time and services to repair -- AT NO COST -- gear for hikers. He was set up next to the Leki tent and every time I passed was very busy. He is not a gear rep (so far as I know) and IMHO should be exempted from paying to set up. He was one of the truly altruistic vendors there.

I paid the $5 because I felt like I should help carry some of the burden. I went in to have my Leki's serviced and, honestly, felt like the $5.00 was a better deal than having to pay shipping costs to send them off. As a bonus, I got to visit some of my friends in Billville!!! Money and time well spent. :D

KG4FAM
05-19-2008, 15:11
I didn't even realize that it cost 5 bucks to get in and walked right through the front gates and no one stopped me. I wasn't camping or using reps, just seeing friends.

Cedar Tree
05-19-2008, 15:13
Allyn is a Gear Rep, for several companies I think. But I know for sure he repesents Big Agnes.
CT

I believe TOW was referring specifically to Allyn Morton (aka Mr. Fix-It) who DOES donate his time and services to repair -- AT NO COST -- gear for hikers. He was set up next to the Leki tent and every time I passed was very busy. He is not a gear rep (so far as I know) and IMHO should be exempted from paying to set up. He was one of the truly altruistic vendors there.

I paid the $5 because I felt like I should help carry some of the burden. I went in to have my Leki's serviced and, honestly, felt like the $5.00 was a better deal than having to pay shipping costs to send them off. As a bonus, I got to visit some of my friends in Billville!!! Money and time well spent. :D

D'Artagnan
05-19-2008, 15:19
Allyn is a Gear Rep, for several companies I think. But I know for sure he repesents Big Agnes.
CT

Mea culpa. I was basing my statement on what I gleaned from scanning an article in a periodical at MoJoe's. I thought he was was just doing it gratis as an individual. Seems I was wrong based on your assertion.

kanga
05-19-2008, 15:28
I totally disagree with you! You must be a part of the clan that voted the fee in, because you sound just like someone who comes to visit me from time to time?

So what exactly is wrong with them making money later on down the road from their services? Do you honestly think that all those who use their services at TD's are the ones that is making them filthy rich?

Crap fire! If they keep on screwing around and charging who they should not, those folks will pull out. And if they pull out we will undoubtedly lose some regular vendors from the town park because the TD committee decided to get filthy rich but instead went into the hole!

crap fire?! i just fell out of my chair! you are freakin' hilarious! :D