PDA

View Full Version : Trail Smells

ChinMusic
05-18-2008, 23:26
No, not THOSE......

Today I had a wonderful hike. I'm not sure what the small trees or bushes are called that were in bloom but the smell was amazing here in Central Illinois. I was SOOOO thankful that I do not have allergies to such so I could sniff to my nose's content.

What are peak times for such pleasures on the AT?

chili36
05-20-2008, 12:22
Anytime after a hard rain and/or thunderstorm. The air just smells "clean" above 5000'.

As a side note, Emptyman reports the Flame Azalea is just beginning to bloom along with the Mountain Laurel.

Marta
05-20-2008, 13:11
Fragrances wafting through the air are one of the great pleasures of hiking in the South. There's a trillium that smells just like bergamot oil. Honeysuckle is fabulous, of course. Wild roses. Magnolias. There are so many different smells.

I do love the scent of balsam firs, too.

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2008, 13:20
Anytime after a hard rain and/or thunderstorm. The air just smells "clean" above 5000'.

Ozone created by the lightning is one of the smells(not actually good for you). Certain bacteria that get kicked up by the raindrops are another and also oils from plants and trees.

Mags
05-20-2008, 13:22
That is one thing I miss about hiking in the East: The smells!

You just don't get the intense smell of vegetation like you do back East.

Be it the flowers blooming and wafting through the air, or the musky smell of leaves on the group in Fall, the smells of the East are partially why it is so enjoyable at times.

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2008, 14:09
Ah, the west - and the smells of wildfires. ;)

Mags
05-20-2008, 14:19
Ah, the west - and the smells of wildfires. ;)

yep. I'll enjoys the smells of the East (fragrant flowers, crisp fall weather) over the smells of the west (fires, cow patties!) any day. :)

leeki pole
05-20-2008, 14:27
And the privet hedge, along with the honeysuckle here is wonderful.
Blackberries are abundant as well. Good year!

ChinMusic
05-20-2008, 15:27
And the privet hedge, along with the honeysuckle here is wonderful.
Blackberries are abundant as well. Good year!
I think the plants that are in bloom in Central Illinois are privets. White blossoms with a strong perfume.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 15:31
privy blossoms, on the other hand, have their own unique odor in the summer, fall...winter, and spring. pretty much year round.

Jason of the Woods
05-20-2008, 16:43
If you can get pat the pot smoke and privy smells it's great! The flowers are out in force right now in NC and TN. Good Stuff!