PDA

View Full Version : recomend short gators

cabalot
02-09-2004, 23:32
can anyone recomend gators for a non deep snow hiker. campmore has a small selection. i want gators to keep out bugs and trail stuff. i think a short pair would work for me. most likely i would be shopping at campmore or rei. maybe ems.

tribes
02-09-2004, 23:41
can anyone recomend gators for a non deep snow hiker. campmore has a small selection. i want gators to keep out bugs and trail stuff. i think a short pair would work for me. most likely i would be shopping at campmore or rei. maybe ems.

I live near Campmor and also shop there. They carry Outdoor Research Rocky Mtn Low gaitors. They are the also sometimes referred to as OR shorties. I have a pair and love them. Here is a link:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=24905727

jlb2012
02-10-2004, 07:12
I've used the OR Rocky Mtn. shorties for several years - I like them a lot.

papa john
02-10-2004, 08:55
Would you be interested in a pair of gaitors made from silnylon for half the price?

Peaks
02-10-2004, 09:51
Would you be interested in a pair of gaitors made from silnylon for half the price?

I think I would want something that breathed a little better.

Happy
02-10-2004, 10:04
http://home.att.net/~joetrailman/index.html

I love my OR Short Gaiters (REI return sale $4.83) with my boots, but just don't work with my trailrunners (keeping riding up, so defeating purpose) so I switched to these and I am WELL pleased.

papa john
02-10-2004, 10:57
want something that breathed a little better

Then you won't like those OR gaiters. I have some of the tall ones and they do not breath at all. I can remember taking them off after hiking in freezing weather and finding all kinds of sweat on my legs!

Peep
02-10-2004, 11:38

PJ - Tell me more about these. I have the OR's but would go for something lighter. You make em?
Peep

gravityman
02-10-2004, 11:49
OR makes a pair of stretch gators (lycra) that we both own. We really like them better than the coated nylon.

Gravity Man

papa john
02-10-2004, 12:09
I can make them to your specs. I would need to know what kind of shoes you wear, the size of your foot and ankle, whether you want drawstring or elastic, etc.

Mike Drinkuth
02-10-2004, 13:19
I can make them to your specs. I would need to know what kind of shoes you wear, the size of your foot and ankle, whether you want drawstring or elastic, etc.

I'm interested, but what if I want to switch footwear styles (like from trail shoe to boot) later on? Will they still fit? Do you have a link or a estimated price for your gaiters?

papa john
02-10-2004, 14:14
No, I sure don't.

As far as changing footwear, these will be made such that you put them on first and then your shoe/boot. They will essentially be a straight tube with elastic at the tops and bottom. You could also have an optional grommet on each side for a loop under the shoe if you wanted one but I don't think they are needed.

Another option would be to have them so that they wrap around your shoe and above the shoe with drawstrings at the top and bottom. There would be velcro at the back to seal up that area. These would be more versatile.

I don't make these for the money, mostly to get some experience making other types of items besides tarps and stuff sacks. So, the cost would run around 10 to 12 dollars shipped.

John

cabalot
02-10-2004, 23:54
is there a good brand of short gators that breathe well?
thanks everyone.

Happy
02-11-2004, 00:23
Papa John seems to have the answer...go with it...in my orginal post I stated low gaiters. I should have stated mini-gaiters I would never go that heavy; plus the heaviness of those gaiters (plus ride up) don't work with trailrunners, but are perfect with boots!

papa john
02-11-2004, 05:13
I am going to make up a set of prototype gaitors for trail runners and see how they do. I have some ripstop here that is not coated that would be extremely light. It won't shed much water but will keep the sticks, stones and dirt out. My feet stay wet from sweat anyway even in the winter time. As soon as I get them done, I will post a picture.

lorac
04-03-2004, 00:19
I'd like to recommend Mountain Hardware Nut Shell Gaiters. I have a pair of these and to me they are pretty breathable, comfortable, and highly water resistant. I've used them to ford water up to and above the tops and as long as I walk quickly and I'm not walking for an extended period of time through the water (more than a few mins) I stay dry. Haven't really tried them out to their full potential with trail runners, but with boots they are great. They have this nice little hook in the front too that hooks them onto your shoe lace, and keeps them in place. I was confused by it a little at first, but it helps to really make a seal around your shoe. Got mine on sale...

golfricker
04-15-2004, 19:40
I recently saw some North Face Scree Gaitors in a magazine. They looked great. Has anyone tried these instead of the traditional OR stuff. :-?