PDA

View Full Version : DWG Parking - Dunnfield or Ranger Station?

fredmugs
05-19-2008, 11:51
I read some older posts indicating it was better (safer) to park at the Ranger Station over several days than to park at the Dunnfield parking area. I received an e-mail from a NPS employee who advised parking at Dunnfield and this seems to go against what I have read here.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions are greatly appreciated. Any information relative to the distance from these parking areas to the trail would be helpful as well.

Alligator
05-19-2008, 12:04
I parked for a week in the lot near the Ranger Station at DWG, I didn't have any problems. It's a busy lot. The AT runs right by it. This was before the Station got flooded, I don't think it was moved though. You might PM A-Train, he was a ridgerunner in that area.

I don't remember the Dunnfield lot, so I can't comment on it.

sly dog
05-19-2008, 12:12
I parked on the west end of the bridge near the hostel on the hill(where the AT comes into DWG) and had no problem after 4 days. There is an AT sighn there and room for mabye 6 cars.

Steve W
05-19-2008, 16:27
I've parked in both lots many times and have never had a problem with either one. Also, the trail pretty much goes right through both lots. Either one should be fine.

88BlueGT
05-19-2008, 16:40
I have "HEARD" of people having problems with parking their car at dunfield. personally, i have parked my car there for the weekend or something many times and have never had a problem.

rubyvermonter
05-19-2008, 16:47
I parked my car overnight at the trail head off Mountain Road just before Lake Lenape on Saturday night. My car was fine. I did see what looked like shattered windshield glass in the parking lot.

Don H
05-21-2008, 12:10
I parked at the DWG parking lot just across the bridge in NJ a few weeks ago for 6 days with no problems. I did call the rangers and let them know my car make, type and tag and when I would return. They did ask me to park at the far end of the lot (closest to the bridge).

jhick
05-21-2008, 12:24
This is good info.... I am parking my car in DWG Friday. Thanks.