Shuttle Service Available - $1/mile & $5/additional persons
Free Internet
Free Nationwide Long Distance
Laundry
Television
:welcome

Marta
05-19-2008, 16:58
I wasn't quite sure what to say. My stay almost didn't happen. I got there on a very cold, very wet day in the late fall, only to be told that a group had reserved the entire place and I couldn't stay. I whined a bit; thank goodness Donna showed some mercy. I was in a pretty bad state--had I known the hostel was not open to hikers that day I would never have gotten soaked to the skin on such a cold day.

Once in, however, I had a great stay.

Appalachian Tater
05-19-2008, 17:34
I didn't actually stay there but I used the phone and took a shower in the afternoon when the place was pretty empty. The lady there was very nice. The bathroom did not seem to be adequate for a facility of that type, that accommodates groups, and it was not very clean. I guess had it been at a rustic hostel I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but it was incongruent with the expectations of such a nice building. There may also be other bathrooms I don't know about. If there aren't, then perhaps you should consider that as a possible project.

rafe
05-20-2008, 08:49
It's a decent hostel; has all the needed amenities. It has a hard "fee" ($20 or so, as I recall) rather than being "honor system." A large, full kitchen that you can use... "free" coffee and tea. Nice porch, a store next door where you can buy munchies and grille food. The dorms are dorm-ish. Clean but very spartan. As Tater mentioned -- the bathrooms are nice but probably too small for a "full house." When I was at Ironmaster's late last summer, I was the only hiking guest. (A non-hiking family was there for the night, but not staying in the dorms.)

the goat
05-20-2008, 13:21
i have enjoyed all my stays at ironmasters hostel.

it has everything you could want and more for about $20.

IronmastersMansion
05-20-2008, 19:41
Thanks to those who have responded to the poll. Keep them coming. We're trying to do all we can to accommodate everyone. As for the bathrooms...we agree but we can't make changes like that without a lot of red tape and even then, it probably won't be allowed. We have a total of 4 bathrooms that so far have handled the max of 46 guests. People just learn to wait their turn. The Day Use Area only has 2 open bathrooms but it's better than waiting on the porch with none. We hope we can continue the Day Use, but so far things have not been going well...we'll just have to wait and see. P.S. There is a dumpster in the parking lot where you can empty your trash...PLEASE use it. Thank you.
:welcome

Caveman of Ohio
05-20-2008, 20:04
Is the same lady from 07 still taking care of the place. I forgot her name but she is good people.

IronmastersMansion
05-20-2008, 20:09
Donna retired. Ray & Lori Burt (us) are the new managers. Stop by and see the changes. Hope you like them.

Caveman of Ohio
05-20-2008, 20:11
I am doing a little section hike from Harpers Ferry to Boiling Springs starting on Friday. I plan on staying there one evening.

weary
05-20-2008, 20:41
I stayed here on the trail, enjoyed it greatly. And when my inlaws -- now deceased -- lived in North cAROLINA My wife and I stopped at the Iron Masters many times in our multiple journeys south, as a more pleasant stop from motels.

I heartedly recommend this wonderful historic site! I've stayed there while camping at the nearby state park, while on the trail, during the annual Ruck, while attempting 2000-mile- status and many times before and since. It's truly one of the great AT sites.

Weary

IronmastersMansion
05-21-2008, 01:37
Great! Can't wait to meet you. Hopefully the weather clears up. We'll be keeping a look out for you. Have fun...

grumpypickle
06-02-2008, 18:25
The Ironmasters Mansion is no longer offering a thru hiker discount. The general and I were charged full rate of $25. The gentleman checking us in advised they are specifically not honoring the discount.

JukeBox

Lone Wolf
06-02-2008, 18:47
thru-hikers should never get a discount on anything. it's their choice to be out there and use lodging.

rafe
06-02-2008, 20:34
thru-hikers should never get a discount on anything. it's their choice to be out there and use lodging.

Well, it's up the individual business owner, I'd think. But in the case of Ironmasters, as I recall, it's an official AYH hostel so their rates are probably set that way. (The only AYH hostel I know of on the AT, in fact -- are there others?)

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 20:54
Well, it's up the individual business owner, I'd think. But in the case of Ironmasters, as I recall, it's an official AYH hostel so their rates are probably set that way. (The only AYH hostel I know of on the AT, in fact -- are there others?)There is one in Knoxville, MD across from Harper's Ferry. The one on the C&O is not American Youth Hostels but Hosteling International USA.

Panzer1
06-02-2008, 22:10
Donna retired. Ray & Lori Burt (us) are the new managers. Stop by and see the changes. Hope you like them.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Panzer
ps I love the place

weary
06-03-2008, 00:04
Thru hikers are given discounts mostly because businesses along the trail want their money. It's called competition.

I don't object to discounts by people seeking customers. I do find the hordes of people who swarm around the trail, offering food and stuff to people lucky enough to be able to take a six month vacation a bit silly.

Of all the ills that face this world, gifts to the relatively affluent strike me as a bit misguided. Next thing will be tax breaks and subsidies to help industries move their jobs overseas. Oh, I forgot. We do that already.

Weary

bfitz
06-03-2008, 00:15
I love it! Even though I've never actually stayed in the hostel. The Rucks have all been a blast there but I've always camped just down the road.

Of all the ills that face this world, gifts to the relatively affluent strike me as a bit misguided. Next thing will be tax breaks and subsidies to help industries move their jobs overseas. Oh, I forgot. We do that already.

WearyYer just jealous. Gifts are the the prerogative of the giver.

Panzer1
06-03-2008, 00:16

What about if the thru-hiker had a coupon. Would it be OK if they got a discount then?:D

Panzer

camojack
06-03-2008, 00:19
Well, it's up the individual business owner, I'd think. But in the case of Ironmasters, as I recall, it's an official AYH hostel so their rates are probably set that way. (The only AYH hostel I know of on the AT, in fact -- are there others?)
I'm pretty sure that the hostel along the section where the A.T. runs along the C & O for a few miles is an AYH one, too. :-?

Panzer1
06-03-2008, 00:21
Do you guys know about the "PA Ruck" in January? Is that still on?

Panzer

weary
06-03-2008, 09:46
...Yer just jealous. Gifts are the the prerogative of the giver.
I know. I'm not saying trail magic is wrong. Just silly. I try to find what I think are better uses of my time and cash. The mail yesterday included a thousand dollar check to my town land trust from someone whose name I didn't recognize, though the memo included the words "Attn. Bob Cummings."

Yup, occasionally my pleas for land preservation draw responses. Somehow that gives me more pleasure than carrying a beer to a thru hiker.

Weary www.matlt.org

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 09:49
I know. I'm not saying trail magic is wrong. Just silly. I try to find what I think are better uses of my time and cash. The mail yesterday included a thousand dollar check to my town land trust from someone whose name I didn't recognize, though the memo included the words "Attn. Bob Cummings."

Yup, occasionally my pleas for land preservation draw responses. Somehow that gives me more pleasure than carrying a beer to a thru hiker.

Weary www.matlt.org

yes. very silly. some folks need a pat on the back.

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2008, 10:00

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

I clicked through to The Daily Bulldog from your land trust home page to check out the article and the lead story is on the new head shop ("Sensi Side Clothing and Smokeshop") in Farmington.

9 Mules
06-03-2008, 10:38
Stayed there in '07 with my family.
Do you still let people explore under the house @ the stair case trap door?....the underground railroad stuff?!
I experienced the "light", man that was spooky. Made a believer out of me. Someone needs to put a peace shrine under the house to appease the souls.

IronmastersMansion
06-04-2008, 19:34
Do you guys know about the "PA Ruck" in January? Is that still on?

Panzer

Yes The Ruck Is still On. As Long as you All still Want it here.

IronmastersMansion
06-04-2008, 19:40
Stayed there in '07 with my family.
Do you still let people explore under the house @ the stair case trap door?....the underground railroad stuff?!
I experienced the "light", man that was spooky. Made a believer out of me. Someone needs to put a peace shrine under the house to appease the souls.

Yea I still do the Rail Road tour Its about 30 min long I give a history of the park the underground railroad and the mansion. We start outside them go under the house then to the basement.

IronmastersMansion
06-04-2008, 19:48
The Ironmasters Mansion is no longer offering a thru hiker discount. The general and I were charged full rate of $25. The gentleman checking us in advised they are specifically not honoring the discount.

JukeBox

Let me tell every one now, we do not give the discount. IT IS NOT MY IDEA. I was giving it untill the first of last month when I got it trouble by my boss. I explain this to every one that asks. Again it was not my call I have a boss to answer to. All the rates that are set, are set by my boss in Philly I have no control over it. Im realy getting sick of all the hasle I am getting over it. Im Sorry That We dont do it any more.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 19:50
NOBODY should get a discount.

Appalachian Tater
06-04-2008, 20:11
Let me tell every one now, we do not give the discount. IT IS NOT MY IDEA. I was giving it untill the first of last month when I got it trouble by my boss. I explain this to every one that asks. Again it was not my call I have a boss to answer to. All the rates that are set, are set by my boss in Philly I have no control over it. Im realy getting sick of all the hasle I am getting over it. Im Sorry That We dont do it any more.Why were you giving a discount in the first place? I'm sure the accounting was done to calculate the price. There's plenty of good camping in that area, anyway. Shelters, too.

Lone Wolf
06-04-2008, 20:13
Why were you giving a discount in the first place? I'm sure the accounting was done to calculate the price. There's plenty of good camping in that area, anyway. Shelters, too.

wow. i agree with tater. this entitlement crap cuz you're a hiker is out of hand. stay in the woods

grumpypickle
06-04-2008, 20:20
I am not hassling anyone, and I do not feel entitled to anything because I am attempting a thru hike. Discounts are offered to groups of people to attract their business, not because of some individual achievement they may be seeking. If you offer a discount to an identified group and someone from that group wants to take advantage of that discount, more power to them. If you don't want to offer a discount, more power to you, just don't specifically note it in publications that most thru hikers use. You attracted my business with your ad and then refused to honor it, it is that simple. I was just notifying other thru hikers of the correction so you don't get 'hassled' in the future. If you are getting hassled, you created the problem.

Truthfully, my biggest issue with the hostel was the expense: $29 for a bunk (not a very good one at that) and shower ($25 for the bunk, $2 for a towel, $2 for the shower) is just not in range for typically what I have paid for on the trail (Bear's Den for example is $25 and includes pizza, laundry, shower, ice cream, linens etc.)

Lone Wolf, you still crack me up, keep on stirring the pot brother! BTW, it was great to finally meet you when I came through Damascus this year.

StarLyte
06-04-2008, 20:59
So you actually just paid $4 less and had some pizza and ice cream. That was nice of Bears Den!

Ironmasters was once a mansion, and now a historical landmark. They call it a hostel because they have bunk rooms available for travelers, a beautiful common room with a grand piano, and a huge kitchen with every appliance and hand utensil known to man.

Bears Den does charge that price and you get a pizza, but the PATC owns and maintains Bears Den, thus they have funds, not a lot I’m sure, but they have funds.

The hostel does not belong to any club, it is privately owned. It has no “back up” resource. They have to charge accordingly, which by hostel standards, is appropriate I feel.

You can cook in the kitchen if you’d like, it’s fun, there’s everything in the kitchen to cook and play with. If you don't have any food, the hostel will probably sell you something cheap unless you're lucky to have encountered trail magic.

There’s also beautiful acreage surrounding the hostel to explore.

It’s a very interesting structure inside and out and every time I go there, I find something unique.

I personally like the large spacious rooms there, you don’t get that at Bears Den. The bunk rooms at Bears Den are very tiny, and hiker odors are literally under your nose.

Bears Den certainly is a beautiful structure itself though, especially the surrounding rock wall and the history behind it.

Every accommodation along the Trail is different and unique; different prices for different services, and a different location. I love Bears Den, always have. I also love Blackburn, maintained by the PATC as well. But Ironmasters Mansion is my favorite. It's the history of the place, and the many beautiful people I've met there. It feels like home to me. :sun

You truly do get what you pay for.

I’ve never had a gripe with any hostel along the Trail, I have with shelters though ;)

Panzer1
06-04-2008, 21:23
Let me tell every one now, we do not give the discount. IT IS NOT MY IDEA. I was giving it untill the first of last month when I got it trouble by my boss. I explain this to every one that asks. Again it was not my call I have a boss to answer to. All the rates that are set, are set by my boss in Philly I have no control over it. Im realy getting sick of all the hasle I am getting over it. Im Sorry That We dont do it any more.

nobody has a right to hassle you over your charges. If they don't like what you charge they should just keep quiet or move on.

Panzer

LIhikers
06-04-2008, 21:27

Sounds like you need a sign or two explaining the change of policy. That way if people complain you can just point to the sign and smile at them :)

IronmastersMansion
06-14-2008, 12:58
We do have the prices listed but as for the "change in policy"...it was never a policy to give hikers discounts. But some of the previous managers did give them. Our boss found out, that's how we found out that it wasn't allowed. If it were up to us, we would gladly give discounts to members of the ATC and the other trail clubs but first we would start with our military, active and vets. They don't only protect our trails...they protect our entire country. But we're not even allowed to do that. So we hope everyone understands and comes in with a smile and not a bad attitude. We promise the smiles will be returned. :)

IronmastersMansion
06-14-2008, 13:19
Shuttle Service is now $1.25/mile, one way, one person. Additional persons $5.00...Sorry for the increase, but as you all know the price of gas has gone up.

Also, towels are no longer provided for the day use rooms. The shower and towels were to be paid according to the "honor" system. Unfortunately, the "honor" system wasn't honored. But hikers can still come inside, use the restrooms, internet, telephone and just hang out. Day Use Rooms are open 9:30am-5:00pm. But please clean up after yourself. Also, rather than fill up the trash cans, please take your trash to the dumpster located in the parking lot. Thank you!

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 18:34
It should not be left up to the owner. It should be left up to Lonewolf. Everyone knows that anything that comes out of his mouth is indisputable fact. To say anything contrary to his belief system is not only foolish but should demand immediate and severe punishment

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 18:38
I am not hassling anyone, and I do not feel entitled to anything because I am attempting a thru hike. Discounts are offered to groups of people to attract their business, not because of some individual achievement they may be seeking. If you offer a discount to an identified group and someone from that group wants to take advantage of that discount, more power to them. If you don't want to offer a discount, more power to you, just don't specifically note it in publications that most thru hikers use. You attracted my business with your ad and then refused to honor it, it is that simple. I was just notifying other thru hikers of the correction so you don't get 'hassled' in the future. If you are getting hassled, you created the problem.

Truthfully, my biggest issue with the hostel was the expense: $29 for a bunk (not a very good one at that) and shower ($25 for the bunk, $2 for a towel, $2 for the shower) is just not in range for typically what I have paid for on the trail (Bear's Den for example is $25 and includes pizza, laundry, shower, ice cream, linens etc.)

Lone Wolf, you still crack me up, keep on stirring the pot brother! BTW, it was great to finally meet you when I came through Damascus this year.
Sounds like you have an appropriate trail name.

IronmastersMansion
02-12-2009, 13:40
If you're a member of a hiking club, present your card so you can get the discount rate. :D