PDA

View Full Version : Know of 2004 Speed Hike Attempt?

jimgorman101
02-10-2004, 00:12
Anybody know of someone attempting to break the un-supported speed record on the AT this year? Or, do you know of anyone who just plans to hike real fast? I'm one of those Bryson-like journalist leeches, and I want to meet up and hike with a fast hiker for a story for Backpacker Magazine. No rotten tomatoes, please.

Crash
02-10-2004, 00:27
Anybody know of someone attempting to break the un-supported speed record on the AT this year? Or, do you know of anyone who just plans to hike real fast? I'm one of those Bryson-like journalist leeches, and I want to meet up and hike with a fast hiker for a story for Backpacker Magazine. No rotten tomatoes, please.
Why, just why the heck would you want to? a better story would be a guy that is on a permanent - long term hike.
:confused: Do you watch a 30second movie or the 3 hour movie????
I am not impressed by the speed hikers - they just don't get why we really hike!

hungryhowie
02-10-2004, 09:50
Why, just why the heck would you want to? a better story would be a guy that is on a permanent - long term hike.
:confused: Do you watch a 30second movie or the 3 hour movie????
I am not impressed by the speed hikers - they just don't get why we really hike!

By that rationale,

I'm not impressed by the slow hikers - they just don't get why we really hike!

Seriously though, Desert Lobster, a member of this board, has announced intentions for a speed attempt in 2004. Whether he's still planning on it or not is another issue. Do a search if you're interested.

-Howie

chris
02-10-2004, 10:35
I know of several people who are thinking of fast hikes this summer. Ranges vary from 60 to 80 days, but I don't think any of them want to be interviewed for anything. Responses like that from Crash make it not worth the effort to explain the why.

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2004, 10:56

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2004, 10:57

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2004, 10:58
Hi Jim,
"Un-supported"? You mean without maildrops, accepting trail magic, borrowing a bandaid or guidebook, asking where/what the next water source is, hitch hiking into a town, getting encouragement from fellow hikers, canoeing the Kennebec, splitting a motel room or pizza, borrowing a day pack to summit Katahdin - backpacking the entire trail without any 'support' what-so-ever?
And don't forget they're hiking a trail that's maintained, cleared, by others, and probably sleeping in shelters and being warmed by fires built by others too.
"Un-supported". I dunno if anyone has.
good luck,

Lone Wolf
02-10-2004, 11:14
He means not being supported by a vehicle. Ward Leonard did it in 60 days back in 1990. I doubt that record will ever be broken. 48 days is the supported record. That will be broken.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2004, 15:51
Jim---

If you look in the Forum section called "Thru-Hiker Specific Topics/Q&A" you'll see a lengthy thread called "100-Day Thru-Hike for Students". It appears these guys are contemplating just the sort of hike you're interested in.

Smooth03
02-10-2004, 20:42
I know that 2003 SOBO Squeaky is planning to do the IAT, PCT, and CDT in one year but I think he is planning on 2005. Sounds nuts that is trying to include an extra some thousand miles with the International AT, but he did do the Smokies in 22 hours with a full pack.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 01:13
Squeaky's goal is a lofty one. He's hiking the PCT this year, hopefully he can put down some consistent and impressive miles. I can't figure out the strategy. The CDT and winter travel complicate things. Plus his AT miles were inconsistent. While he had high mileage days, they were few and far between (no offense intended).

Miss Janet
06-13-2004, 10:31
The biggest difference I noticed between this year and the past years has been a great number of hikers getting to Erwin in 3-3 1/2 weeks!!! That is a full week faster than the average has been for many years. I have also seen a LOT more stress related injuries, hamburger feet and depressed hikers having a bad hike. I am sure they are related. I don't know what happened happened but this year has been about miles, miles, miles. It seems that early in the year a few people started doing big miles, 20-30 before Erwin, and everyone behind them thought they were getting "behind" or "Going too slow". I hope this is not a trend and that this doesn't happen next year. I only have so many rocking chairs on my front porch for the walking wounded!

Lone Wolf
06-13-2004, 10:54
It's a trend alright. Lighter, faster, farther is the thing nowadays.

Noggin
06-13-2004, 14:31
I don't know what happened happened but this year has been about miles, miles, miles. It seems that early in the year a few people started doing big miles, 20-30 before Erwin, and everyone behind them thought they were getting "behind" or "Going too slow".
Stupid.

I have also seen a LOT more stress related injuries, hamburger feet and depressed hikers having a bad hike. I am sure they are related.
Yep. Fools are their own worst enemy.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 18:12
It's not really stupidity nor being a fool, it's more inexperience. And it's gotta be hard for those that have little or no basis for judging how their bodies should be feeling. The feet are a prime example. People that have gotten blisters begin to realize what causes them and eventually become more in tune with their feet.

What's that saying? Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from making bad judgements. (Or, if I seem wise it is because I learned from my mistakes.)

Pencil Pusher
06-15-2004, 04:28
For the triple crown in a year, maybe if he (Squeaky) broke it up into sections and took off that crazy AT extension, it might work. He could use cross country skis too, though I don't imagine that would fly over too well with the pure freaks.

warren doyle
06-15-2004, 10:07
As far as I know, there is no attempt to establish a new endurance record for the AT this season. We (Dave Horton, Scott Grierson, Pete Palmer, Warren Doyle) usually find out if there are any serious attempts at it before they start.
For a while Dave Horton was serious about attaining the endurance record again this season, but after much contemplation decided not to attempt it. I have not heard anything about Desert Lobster so I imagine he decided not to attempt it this season.
Right now word is out that Andrew Thompson, a former Dave Horton student, is planning a third attempt at the endurance record during the 2005 season. His first attempt ended in the rain in southern VT in 1999 and his second attempt ended in a storm on the Presidentials in 2001.
Contrary to Lone Wolf's post, I do not think that the present AT endurance record (48.5 days - Pete Palmer 'Cujo') will be broken. Pete has said that one of the reasons he was able to shave over 4 days off Horton's record was because he got rained on only twice during his journey, with the second rain on his last day up Katahdin. He also did a brilliant, strategic move by having his longest day (60+ miles) from Whitecap Mt. to Abol Bridge on his next to the last day.
Also, as to Ward Leonard's 60-day hike unsupported hike (as part of his three thru-hikes in well under a year), I do not recognize this because there is eyewitness proof that he did the roadwalk up to Pleasant Pond after Caratunk rather than following the trail in this particular section. However, I do respect that he was probably the most physically-gifted backpacker on the AT duirng his time.
There was a mostly unsupported thru-hiker called 'Wall' who did the entire trail in 56-57 days in the early 90's. I recognize him as the shortest, mostly unsupported, endurance record holder.
And then there was young Sam Swisher-McClure, who I mentored/supported during the summer of 1999. This poet-warrior reached Fontana Dam in less tha three days from Springer and still has the half-way mark endurance record when he reached Pine Grove Furnace State Park within 24 days of his start from Springer before he hurt his foot just south of the Susquehanna River.
The one condition that is expected of any potential endurance record holder, by the previous/present record holders is that they follow the white blazes the entire way without taking any 'shortcuts' (sort of like a 'gentleman's rule' or a 'point of honor'). This honor/honesty is more important to us than pack weight.

Mags
06-15-2004, 12:20
Nothing wrong with endurance hikes, but as I think Miss Janet noted many of the people who are doing these hikes AND (this part is important) pushing themselves too much for their ability level I suspect are college aged males who while very fit do not have much experience with pacing, knowing their bodies and have built up to the level where they can maintain a pace of 25-30 MPD **CONSISTENTLY** on the AT.

Many elite endurance atheletes are in their early-mid 30s. It takes time and mental discipline to build up endurance to go with the strength. If you look at most marathon winners for the world class races they are typically in their early 30s. Tri-athletes? The same. Look at Lance Armstrong and other elite bicyclists.. Most of the elite ultra runners are in their late 30s to early 50s. Not to say someone who is 20 won't be able to maintain the pace...but many (again, not all) do not have the endurance and mental discipline to balance the strength.

Guess what I am trying to say is if you want to do an endurance hike, be sure you are ready for it. Be physically strong (which most people at a young age have), have much endurance (which you have to train for) and mental discipline. Brian Robinson (39 yo when started) trained for ultras before doing his Calendar Triple Crown. He was at a high peak of mental preparedness, endurance and strength even before he took his first step on the AT in 2001.
Suspect it was the same for many of the other people listed on this thread.

For the record, I think endurance hikes are pretty interesting. While I am nowhere near the level of others mentioned is in this thread, I enjoy high mileage days myself. Hope to do the Colorado Train in three weeks (fast, but not record time by any means) and just did my first ultra. So please don't take this post as I am against "endurance hikes" :)

Lone Wolf
06-15-2004, 12:24
I've done 4 ultras. Fun ain't they? Which one did you do?

Mags
06-15-2004, 12:38
The Wyoming Double Marathon. Came in 9th place...of course only 11 finished.:) (26 did enter..guess 15 people were smarter than me. ;-). The RD was quoted as saying this was the worst weather in 27 years of organizing this race. The winner this year did it in 9:58, the winner last year? 8:15 :O)

It snowed, 40-50 MPG gusts (Wyoming: Shoshone for G.D. windy place!), and was cold.

Interesting for my first one. Just glad to finish!

Pencil Pusher
06-15-2004, 12:48
Warren, I'm surprised at your assessment of Wall over Leonard. You use heresay to discredit Leonard and 'mostly unsupported' to credit Wall. As for Cujo, if one human can do it, so can another. My guess is Squeaky is not attempting to set a record with his triple in a year, rather trying to realize a dream. I think he should just try to get the standard triple in first, without that crazy extension. Otherwise, it's about eight thousand miles.

warren doyle
06-15-2004, 14:43
Pencil Pusher,

I was northbound on the AT not that far behind Ward and my conclusion is based on talking to three people in Caratunk who saw Ward walking up the road to Pleasant Pond instead of taking the trail along Holly Brook. These first person accounts are not 'hearsay'. There also was an 'obnoxious' incident that involved Ward and the Kennebec ferry shortly before this also from first-hand eyewitness accounts.

Likewise, I was on Katahdin when Wall finished his hike. Several of us were following his register entries all summer. So much for my ' mostly unsupported'
assessment of these two endurance hikers.

From what basis do you make your assessment from?

Pencil Pusher
06-15-2004, 14:51
From what basis do you make your assessment from?
From your comments alone, Warren. If you didn't see it (Leonard) then coming from you it is heresay. You use the exact words 'mostly unsupported' in your description of Wall's hike.

jersey joe
06-15-2004, 17:04
Right now word is out that Andrew Thompson, a former Dave Horton student, is planning a third attempt at the endurance record during the 2005 season. His first attempt ended in the rain in southern VT in 1999 and his second attempt ended in a storm on the Presidentials in 2002(?).
I read about Andrew Thompson's second record attempt, which was in 2001, here:
http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/at_at_2001/
Despite coming up short, this was an incredible attempt which made me realize that we as human beings barely tap into our potential. I would be very interested in following a third attempt by Andrew.

Pencil Pusher
06-15-2004, 17:28
Despite coming up short, this was an incredible attempt which made me realize that we as human beings barely tap into our potential.
Well put. Thanks for the link, that was insanity! I was totally wondering when he was going to bonk, but ultimately it all came down to the weather. Incredible. Somebody put up a big reward so the Mexicans, Nepalese or Ethiopians can show us how it's done.

A-Train
06-16-2004, 12:25
Once he knew he couldn't break the record he quit? Pretty SAD

jersey joe
06-16-2004, 13:33
Once he knew he couldn't break the record he quit? Pretty SADI disagree, his goal was to break the record and once he realized he couldn't do it he stopped. Nothing sad about that. Not everyone's goal is to hike the entire trail.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2004, 14:03
I helped Andy on his first attempt when he stopped in Vermont. He was ahead of record pace. There was nothing physically wrong with him. Totally mental. I've been involved in several "speed hikes". It ain't easy on the support or the hiker.

sloetoe
06-16-2004, 19:52
OK, so, been around the block on this deal --
I do a reliable 1mph, 10 mpday with my kids (and find it *more* than a worthy effort).
I might do 2mph and 20 mile days by my ownself (not that I get to often).
I've run ~40 in ~7:00, and ~50 in ~9:00, and Godhelpme, I'm entered this weekend in http://www.mohican100.org on ~15 miles per week running. (No lie, Mags. I am like SO deadmeat. 30 hour cutoff seems awfully tight!)

But with the above as my bona fides, I'd like to say just two things:
1) this kind of hiking (if the terrain is tough) or running is just a *different* *deal* than what we're all used to as "throughhikers." Sometimes, we play at rest; "speedhikers" play in motion. Sometimes, we hit a view or a pretty spot and say "Ahhhhh;" speedhikers may go fast enough that they can appreciate whole ranges -- like from Smarts to Cube -- in ways that slower hikers just can't fit in their brains. Speedsters see the forest -- the whole forest, not just a tree here and there. But "play" and "perspective" are just different -- not wrong.

2) PencilPusher (and Mags?) put the finger right on it: it's not stupid. {Stupid is walking places where perfectly good roads go. (So yes, we're *all* members of that club.)} But it *is* ignorance and/or inexperience. The great worry (for us spectators) is that if there isn't some meta-goal (like a record to attain, or a bitty little patch to acquire), when the challenge of hiking big miles is met, the fun of the hike is gone. There are many things that can carry us out on a trail, but we need to insure "Quitting is not an option." if we want to actually complete the trail. It seems that those who play with big miles too early often have also forgotten all the other reasons they went hiking, and when they're done testing themselves popping off big miles, they get depressed and quit. Or, as TheMsJanet noted, they hit town with the steam running out of their sails. (Whoa. Just abused two analogies at once.)
(As well, Andrew T. did not "quit" the trail, he quit his record attempt; big difference. FWIW, Flyin' Brian is on the AT again this year, with his honey (another ultra runner of no small repute). They are not out to set records, but to hike the trail.)
So to sum:
1) Been there, done that; don't knock it till you've tried it; "it" is a different kind of hike, and *just* as worthy. I'm still doing/loving both kinds.

2) It (hiking big miles to point of injury) ain't stupid, it's ignorance. And as some Senator observed, ignorance can be taught to, while stupidity is permanent.

Sloetoe
(hoping his workplace will let him off to do cohos->katahdin
with his 10 year old twins, 6 weeks @ [now!] 12 miles per day.)

Pencil Pusher
06-16-2004, 20:26
Geez, you ultra folks should combine climbing for variation. Long approaches would be a walk in the park for you folks. Just last year word finally got out to the ultra crowd that nobody had done the Wonderland Trail (goes around Mt Rainier) in under 24 hours. So an ultra dude did it. No climbing involved, just the wrong sport obsessing over seeing it done;)

There's plenty of long approaches out here. Reading about the mileage some of you put down, mmm...mmm, all sorts of climbing possibilities here!

As for speed hikes, chris from this website hiked the PCT in 105 days and it sounded like he wasn't pushing things. So I guess that would leave ample time to get the CDT done, for Squeaky and his one year goal.

Mags
06-17-2004, 00:31
Toey: ~15 miles per week? Well, you'll have an interesting race! That's for sure! :-) As you know, any endurance sport is mainly mental. Sure you will get the buckle!
I was seriously thinking of doing the Leadville 100, but it is a week before my Colorado Trail hike. Think will save myself for the hike instead. I was sorely tempted...but batting around a couple of possibilities for a 100 miler next year before the CDT. Everything I do I tend to do intensley. :) Started backpacking; two years later did the AT. Started running Jan '03, did my first marathon 9 mos later, my first ultra 1.5 yrs later.

Climbing: Heck, I'm a klutz! I'm slow, have no agility or grace. I'll stick to endurance events. Will not kill mysel that way! ;)

Fast times on trail: I honestly belive it is all mental. If you are shooting for a fast time and are prepared for it, it can be done. Just have to want to do it.

Anyway..my .05 worth.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2004, 08:16
Leadville is for weenies. Do the Hardrock 100. 48 hour time limit. :)

Mags
06-17-2004, 16:07
You know, something like that is more suited for me; a slow grind that is more about endurance than speed...and living in CO, do reasonably well with altitude.

Having said that, not quite ready to do that this year. :) As I am new to the ultra world, did not even know this race was in my "back yard"....

Leadville for weenies? Heck, when I do a 100 miler..well, call me a weenie. I'll just be damn tired in any case! :)