PDA

View Full Version : Computer Access

wgw5000
05-19-2008, 23:25
I'll be starting my thru-hike in early June (flip-flop starting northbound at harpers ferry) and was curious how often one can come across internet access along the trail (once a week? two weeks? month?). This would mainly just to be to check and send emails to stay in touch with family and friends.

Thanks!!

-Billy

WalkingStick75
05-19-2008, 23:31
I guess that depends on how often you go into town. If they have a public library you should have access to the internet. What the heck you could also carry a post card or two with stamps already on them, kinda old fashion but still works.

A-Train
05-20-2008, 00:24
I recall there being a lot less internet from Harpers Ferry north, but this was 5 years ago. I assume most towns have a public library, just depends how much time you wanna spend off trail.

for the southern half, you'll have frequent internet availability, especially with the lack of hikers.

Appalachian Tater
05-20-2008, 01:16
There are only a few common hiker stops without easy internet access, mostly a couple of hostels or motels that aren't near town. Pretty much every town has internet access in the library, many hotels, motels, hostels, some outfitters, and a few coffee shops have it. If all you want to do is check your email and don't need to do anything fancy, you don't need to worry at all, you should almost always have access. If you need a lot of time you may have to compete for access and sometimes uploading photos, etc. isn't allowed.

It's always nice to donate a buck or two to the library if that's where you're accessing it. Only a couple along the trail charge but computers and internet access are expensive and mostly comes from local tax dollars.

Locutus
05-23-2008, 02:42
I am posting right now on a Nokia N810. It tethers to my broadband cellphone via bluetooth. I have a small charger with multiple adapters that will rechargw both my cellphone and Nokia N810 using two AA batteries. Using litium AA's I can get about twenty charges.

I alos use the N810 to watch movies, and read ebooks. Oh yeah, it has built in GPS navigation too. :)

Pokey2006
05-23-2008, 02:49
The guidebooks (I use the ALDHA Companion) are pretty good at telling you where to find Internet access. I figured I was able to send e-mails home every couple of weeks, sometimes less. Often enough where I could come up with a good estimate of when folks at home could expect to hear from me again.