PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

trekker85
05-20-2008, 00:00
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a 2-3 day hike in Georgia, North Carolina, or Tennessee. I have done sections from Davenport Gap to Erwin, but I haven't really been down in the smokey's yet. I was looking to do a couple days hiking, maybe with some white water around. If you know of any nice scenic sections 6-10 miles per day with either shelters or campsites, maybe you could help point me in that direction.

Egads
05-20-2008, 06:48
Try anywhere between Deep Gap & Davenport Gap

I like the ~21 mi section between Deep Gap & Rock Gap including Standing Indian

KG4FAM
05-20-2008, 07:03
Winding Stair Gap to Nantahala Gorge. Good fire towers and balds. And you get to end up at the NOC and you can do some rafting

Hooch
05-20-2008, 07:45
Mongo say to hike Fontana Dam to NOC. Mongo say that pretty section. Mongo say 30 miles or so. Mongo say to have good time. :D

trekker85
05-21-2008, 23:43
Thanks for the suggestions. The routes suggested look good.

Tennessee Viking
05-22-2008, 00:01
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a 2-3 day hike in Georgia, North Carolina, or Tennessee. I have done sections from Davenport Gap to Erwin, but I haven't really been down in the smokey's yet. I was looking to do a couple days hiking, maybe with some white water around. If you know of any nice scenic sections 6-10 miles per day with either shelters or campsites, maybe you could help point me in that direction.

The only big whitewater next to AT in Tennessee is the Chucky at Erwin, which sounds like you already done.

I would suggest the Smokies only when bear activity is low or none. Check out Roan and Dennis Cove.

You might also want to look into doing some BMT sections. Hiawassee and Ocoee Rivers.

CrumbSnatcher
05-22-2008, 00:05
trekker you say you've hiked davenport to erwin NOBO? the very next section is a big time favorite of many hikers since you said 2-3 days skip the big hill out of erwin start around indian grave gap(8.3 miles north of erwin) beauty spot and unaka mtn. included or start at iron mtn. gap(19.1 miles north of erwin) little rock knob,roan mtn,carvers gap,round bald,jane bald,grassey ridge,over mtn. shelter,little hump,hump mtn, hike ending at 19e. this is 27 to 38.5 miles. you can white water the nolichucky. the NOC has great whitewater. hiking between fontana dam and franklin NC is great. big drop into the nolichucky from either direction. hope you have a blast!!!

Bear Cables
05-22-2008, 10:59
Winding Stair Gap to Nantahala Gorge. Good fire towers and balds. And you get to end up at the NOC and you can do some rafting

We did this section last year starting at Rock Gap. You can view my gallery for views of this section.There is a good campsite at, I think its Wine Springs. Its left of the trail and there is a good bear bag tree across the trail. A mountain spring is just up the trail about .1 mile. There is another site nearer the spring. Cold Springs shelter is nice, there is a cable but not pulleys. Wesser shelter is also good there is a big campsite just before the shelter and the bear cables are in good condition. Beautiful views! :sun

Bear Cables
05-22-2008, 11:00
Mongo say to hike Fontana Dam to NOC. Mongo say that pretty section. Mongo say 30 miles or so. Mongo say to have good time. :D
We are hiking this section in two weeks and then on to Clingmans.