PDA

View Full Version : Where's the biggest REI in Atlanta?

NerdyJohn
05-20-2008, 09:43
What Atlanta-area REI's have the largest displays of camping & hiking gear? I am primarily interested in tents, sleeping bags and packs, but I want to look at as much gear as I can while I’m over there.

I’ve been a car camper for 30 years, and a hiker only for the last year or so. Funny, but weight was never an issue before…

Nerdy John

rtober
05-20-2008, 11:46
imo the one off I-85 and Clairmont RD (take that exit, get on the south bound access round that runs parallel to I-85 SB) would probably have the largest over all selection of camping gear.

The other two are: Barrett Parkway, Kennesaw and the one behind the Perimeter Mall off 400.

orangebug
Probably the REI on I-85 NE inside the perimeter has the most square footage, but I've been impressed with how much is displayed at the new one up I-75 near TownCenter (Marietta).

If you are interested in lightweight gear, you probably ought to look for threads on that issue, as lightweight gear is a niche market with many excellent small manufacturers, especially with presence on the web and in hiker specific forums.

Phreak
Atlanta store - South Access Road off I-85 'tween Clairmont & North Druid Hills

jesse
05-20-2008, 12:00
What about these guys, there right in your backyard.

http://www.mountainhighoutfitters.com/aboutus.html

NerdyJohn
05-20-2008, 15:35
I didn’t say that I was going to buy all that stuff from REI; I just want to experience as much fully assembled gear as possible.

Mountain High Outfitters has almost everything at full retail or better. Not surprising since they are in high-end malls. They have small stores too and I rarely see the same employee twice. I must admit I only go to a mall once or twice a year.

My favorite local store is Alabama Outdoors. Their employees are great, the prices are very good and the stores are packed to the walls. I have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from AO, but I want to see, touch, smell, hold, squeeze and fondle as much gear as I can in person.

Example:
2007 Hubba Hubba at MHO: $290.00
2007 Hubba Hubba at AO: $226.00

For me, nothing beats actually seeing the product assembled and ready to use. Especially as I “convert” to backpacking. I’ll save the gram counting for another year. Right now I just want to make some good, solid choices and hit the trail.

springerfever
05-20-2008, 15:57
Little bit out of your way, but THE best hiking store in the Southeast has to be Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. Small store but packed to the gills with lightweight trail-proven gear.

Great opportunity to see all of the major manufacturers (even some of the cottage industries) under one roof and a great support staff..most are former thru hikers that know what works and what doesn't. Great place to try on a dozen different lightweight packs and if you want, give'm a spin for a few miles on the AT.

Living in Atlanta, I frequent REI on a regular basis, particularly the Buford store (Mall of Georgia). Pretty good feeling to walk out without buying anything because I've already tweaked my gear down to the bone.

I can't say that about Mountain Crossings. There is always something new that can lighten my load. Yes, its about 90 minutes north of Atlanta, but well worth it and if you make a day out of it, you can get a good hike in by either heading up Blood Mountain or head north to Cowrock.

If you got the time, definately well worth the drive..........

Dances with Mice
05-20-2008, 16:03
imo the one off I-85 and Clairmont RD (take that exit, get on the south bound access round that runs parallel to I-85 SB) would probably have the largest over all selection of camping gear.

The other two are: Barrett Parkway, Kennesaw and the one behind the Perimeter Mall off 400.Ask for Roger. Backpacking bud of mine. I think he's tried out all the camping equipment.

Now he's converting to lightweight gear so the last time we went out he carried enough lightweight stuff for, I don't know, three or four hikers.

So maybe he hasn't got the entire concept figured out yet but he's likely to have already field tested the gear.

NerdyJohn
05-20-2008, 17:05
My folks owned a hardware store for 50 years, so not surprisingly, I LOVE cottage industry stuff. I really admire those people. It takes a lot of passion for them to do what they do.

Neels Gap huh? I was there just last weekend. Oops, that was Deals Gap. I got lost exploring some dirt roads around Cades Cove and came out on the "Tail Of The Dragon" I got passed by about 20 motorcycles and 10 cars in about 5 minutes! Oh well, A minivan has no business on that road anyway...

Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. Sounds like a great excuse for a road trip. My daughter & I head up that way at least once a month, every month of the year. Well, if you call "up that way" somewhere between the North Georgia mountains and southern Virginia.

Thanks everybody.