PDA

View Full Version : Sticky backpack

flemdawg1
05-20-2008, 11:03
I found a nice 2500 cu in technical daypack for my 8yo DD to use as a backpack. It's a very nice Karrimar Trail 35 but the top seal is a rubber-like compund and it's sticky. Any advice how to clean it?

4eyedbuzzard
05-20-2008, 11:08
Is it a water proof roll top, like a "dry bag"? If so, it's supposed to be a bit tacky, and you probably won't be able to get rid of it completely. Try dusting it with cornstarch or talcum powder(use unscented - bear safety and all...) You could also just apply a layer of duct tape against it. Also check to see if it is a removable dry liner, in which case you could pull it out if you wanted for fair weather or replace it with a plastic liner. My Aarn had a roll top seal but no rubber seal.

flemdawg1
05-20-2008, 11:13
Nope, not a roll top, it's a regular cinch closure w/ a cordlock.

max patch
05-20-2008, 11:33
None of my packs have a rubber seal on them so take my comments with that in mind.

Anytime my packs get so dirty that they need cleaned, I go to the car wash and clean and rinse with the high pressure nozzle. Works every time.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 13:16
try rubbing alcohol maybe? some sort of degreaser like ka-blammo citric cleanser...

Bob S
05-20-2008, 13:25
I would clean it with alcohol and if that didn’t work, try lighter fluid. Neither one of these will harm the fabric and will dry up in a few min. then use a brush and some dish soap.

If its still sticky after all that, and it still bothers you I would pick a sunny day and wipe it down with wipe-on-polyurethane (thinner and quicker drying then regular polyurethane) and set it in the sun to dry. This should seal whatever is making it sticky.

If this idea concerns you (the polyurethane) try it in a piece of scrap fabric. I have used it on cloth before and it dries and works ok.