PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Packing

JWren
05-20-2008, 11:39
Me and my dad have bought two down sleeping bags, his a MH Sentinel and mine a WM Summerlite, this may be a stupid question but when you are putting it in the storage sack, do you stuff it in there and do you need to go a certain way like head first or feet or does it matter and how do you stuff it

JWren
05-20-2008, 11:40
I have not recieved my bag yet, because of a special order but when i have packed my dad's the stuff sack seems like it is going to rip at the seams

Hikes in Rain
05-20-2008, 12:56
Shouldn't make any difference. Just grab handfulls and start stuffing. And yeah, the stuff sack looks like a sausage afterwords, doesn't it?

bigcranky
05-20-2008, 13:01
For storage, use the large cotton or mesh bag that should come with the sleeping bag. You can also hang the bag in a closet if it has hang loops, or lay it flat under a bed. (Not if you have cats, though.)

DO NOT store the sleeping bag in the little stuff sack. You may already know this, but I couldn't tell from your question. The stuff sack is for hiking only, and you may well want a slightly larger stuff sack.

To use the stuff sack, it helps if the bag is zipped. I like to start with the foot end, and slowly push the bag into the stuff sack, being careful not to twist it.

Don't leave the bag in the stuff sack for more than a few days without taking it out and sleeping in it.

Does this help?

River Runner
05-20-2008, 15:57
Like Big Cranky says, use a large bag, tote, or hang the sleeping bag to store at home.

On the trail, I like to start with the foot end, because any excess air can escape the opening at the top easier as I go. I usually use a large stuff sack than those provided, to allow less compression and a more 'squishable' shape for packing.

JWren
05-20-2008, 21:54
From my question i was asking about the stuff sack on the trail, not the storage bag

Hooch
05-20-2008, 21:56
Just cram that booger in there and seal it up. That's why it's called a stuff sack, not a roll neatly and place inside gently sack. Seriously, just start stuffing.

JWren
05-20-2008, 21:57
they are the first down mummy sleeping bags we've own, so i just wanted to get it right, i already knew about the storage bag, actually my dads is in it right now, i just wanted to make sure that i was stuffing it in the stuff sack right, also my WM summerlite came in today

Panzer1
05-20-2008, 22:15
First off, after using the bag never store the bag until it has had a good chance to air out completely.

I store my down bag in a very large cardboard box and store that in the linen closet. The bag cannot be stored in any condition that resembles "compressed". The cardboard box protects the bag and still allows it to breath. Best to store your bag where you store clothes or linen.

Panzer

Wags
05-21-2008, 00:02
i simply hang mine on a hanger in the closet :D

dmax
05-21-2008, 00:13
to help keep its loft, as soon as you get to camp, lay it out and let it loft up. just make sure before you get in it,that there no creepy crawlies in it. then stuff it in the morning and go.

88BlueGT
05-21-2008, 00:32
I just zip mine, start at the foot end and just shove it in.

sofaking
05-21-2008, 00:36
to help with loft when your off the trail, put it in the dryer on the knit/delicate setting and toss a tennis ball in with it.

88BlueGT
05-21-2008, 00:44
I hear alot of people say this but one thing.... you would think that the tennis ball/s would damage the feathers?

sofaking
05-21-2008, 00:52
one tennis ball, the idea is that the low heat and the knit/delicate setting help 'fluff' the down -something to do w/ the wool covering and rubber body of the tennis ball and a 'static electrical' effect...whatever, but i've done it to my bag many times. 8 yrs and no cold spots...maybe the duct tape fixed those?

88BlueGT
05-21-2008, 00:55
Oh I see. Not sure that I completely understand but I'll take yours and everyone elses word for it. No need for me to do this though, if my bag got any more loft to it I wouldnt be able to get it in my compression sack lol.

4eyedbuzzard
05-21-2008, 00:58
Even with a bag that's been improperly stored in its stuff sack - stick it in the dryer with a tennis ball or two on low for 5 minutes, no-heat for 10 minutes, low for 5 minutes, no-heat for 10, etc. Run it three of these cycles or so and then just run it on no-heat for half an hour. Then shake it out and let it fluff up somewhere not near a cat or dog.;) Seems to really help an old bag recover a lot of its loft. If that doesn't work try washing it with a down soap like Nikwax or similar and tumble dry it on low with a couple of tennis balls to break up the wet down clumps and help generate a little static electricity. Saved an older NF blue kazoo doing this.

River Runner
05-21-2008, 01:06
First off, after using the bag never store the bag until it has had a good chance to air out completely. Panzer

Good point there Panzer. I always air mine out completely, but then I do store it in a large plastic tote. We have dogs in the house (and used to have a cat that liked to shred cardboard among other things), so the plastic tote was to keep it safe from claws. We also occasionally get field mice, especially in the fall when it starts getting cold, and they can do a lot of damage before they are discovered.

Even though I seal it up in plastic, I guess I use it so frequently it gets to breath often enough. :D

bigcranky
05-21-2008, 06:43
Sorry, wrenman, in your original post you called it the "storage sack" and I was confused.

For the stuff sack, just push it in without twisting too much, and you'll be fine.

atraildreamer
05-21-2008, 12:07
Just cram that booger in there and seal it up. That's why it's called a stuff sack, not a roll neatly and place inside gently sack. Seriously, just start stuffing.

I had just finished cleaning my Gerry Mountain down bag at a local laundromat. This bag was big, like me :rolleyes:, and I had it spread out covering over a 3' x 8' table top that was used for folding laundry.

A family (Dad, Mom, young boy and girl) were watching me as I started stuffing the bag into the small stuffsack. I'm sure they thought I was nuts, and I detected a couple of suppressed smirks behind my back as I stuffed the bag.

After I finished, I slung the small stuffsack over my shoulder, gave a wave of goodbye to the family, all four of whom, sat there literally wide-eyed with amazement:eek::eek::eek::eek:, and left, chuckling:D.